What-If 0116: "No-Rules NASCAR"

What if there was a forum for discussing these?

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
bachaddict
Handel Played it Better
Posts: 484
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:18 am UTC
Location: Aotearoa

What-If 0116: "No-Rules NASCAR"

Postby bachaddict » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:06 am UTC

No-Rules NASCAR

Image
How fast could you survivably travel around this size track?

Also: Return of the giant hamster ball! It's half full of padding, but it's there.

Now that would be interesting: Racing balls like that on existing roller coaster tracks!
slinches wrote:Also, the OTC isn't a disease. In fact, it's the cure. As we all know, Time heals all wounds.

Thanks for the molpish wig ggh!
he/him/his

User avatar
rhomboidal
Posts: 797
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:25 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: What-If 0116: "No-Rules NASCAR"

Postby rhomboidal » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:48 am UTC

With its high-speed physics, there must be many nerd NASCAR fans.

User avatar
Klear
Posts: 1965
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:43 am UTC
Location: Prague

Re: What-If 0116: "No-Rules NASCAR"

Postby Klear » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:58 am UTC

Q: What strategy would win?

A: About 90 minutes.

User avatar
cellocgw
Posts: 2055
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:40 pm UTC

Re: What-If 0116: "No-Rules NASCAR"

Postby cellocgw » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:33 am UTC

rhomboidal wrote:With its high-speed physics, there must be many nerd NASCAR fans.


Just dropping by to say Hey thanks for introducing me to a fun-looking webcomic site. Have a free sample Internet on me!
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

pete_b
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:04 pm UTC

Re: What-If 0116: "No-Rules NASCAR"

Postby pete_b » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:09 pm UTC

What if:
a) The person was in a structure on a long arm attached to the track and can effectively be following a circular path whilst the other end of the arm follows the track.
b) There are some really strong electro magnets in the vehicle that oppose the G direction to maybe counteract it. kind of like the levitating frog but used to hold (almost) everything in place?

User avatar
Flumble
Yes Man
Posts: 2249
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:35 pm UTC

Re: What-If 0116: "No-Rules NASCAR"

Postby Flumble » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:14 pm UTC

Klear wrote:Q: What strategy would win?

A: About 90 minutes.

Yes

Caesar
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:34 am UTC
Location: Germany

Re: What-If 0116: "No-Rules NASCAR"

Postby Caesar » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:16 pm UTC

In a "No Rules NASCAR", the speed of your vehicle wouldn't really matter. I would send a tank and shoot the other drivers.
With blue shells.

AEB
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:56 pm UTC

Re: What-If 0116: "No-Rules NASCAR"

Postby AEB » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:23 pm UTC

Question asked:
If you stripped away all the rules of car racing and had a contest which was simply to get a human being around a track 200 times as fast as possible, what strategy would win? Let's say the racer has to survive.

Hunter Freyer


Question answered:
How fast could a human being survive being flung around a race track? How fast could anything be flung around a race track?


Missing element - what strategy achieves the proposed 90 minute speed? It looks, from the drawing, like a nested hamster ball on a track, but the energy source is unclear. I also think that, from a "car racing" perspective, having the vehicle mounted to a dedicated rail kind of converts the "race" to a "time trial," which races are not. In a race, you have to contend with the other people on the track. You might draft behind them, cut them off, have them cut you off, etc. The only way to not deal with the other drivers is to be out in front, and to make sure the competition stays at least within one track length of you so that you don't lap them... good luck with that.

So I think the best strategy might be some kind of rocket propelled, and thruster steered, three (two?) wheeled (I'm assuming the "car" must maintain some contact with the ground, otherwise you get into questions about whether they are really "on" the track, or just a satellite hovering in orbit) spike aerodynamically wrapped around a spherical cockpit (ala RM's hamster ball) that can keep the passenger upright and aligned optimally with the various G forces.

ThemePark
Posts: 450
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:42 pm UTC
Location: Århus, Denmark

Re: What-If 0116: "No-Rules NASCAR"

Postby ThemePark » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:23 pm UTC

Klear wrote:Q: What strategy would win?

A: About 90 minutes.

Q: How much time would it take to complete those 200 laps?

A: Divide and Conquer.
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

User avatar
cellocgw
Posts: 2055
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:40 pm UTC

Re: What-If 0116: "No-Rules NASCAR"

Postby cellocgw » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:56 pm UTC

Caesar wrote:In a "No Rules NASCAR", the speed of your vehicle wouldn't really matter. I would send a tank and shoot the other drivers.
With blue shells.



Just sayin...
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

User avatar
Jackpot777
Posts: 328
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:19 pm UTC

Re: What-If 0116: "No-Rules NASCAR"

Postby Jackpot777 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:17 pm UTC

Image

Jeff Gordon creates life. I guess it's only fair, considering Tony Stewart's record.

(Too soon?)

Mikeski
Posts: 1104
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:24 am UTC
Location: Minnesota, USA

Re: What-If 0116: "No-Rules NASCAR"

Postby Mikeski » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:10 pm UTC

He answered the "what strategy" question in his second paragraph; EVERY* strategy would be equal since they're all capable of getting to driver-pulping speeds accelerations.

Since the question was, therefore, based on an incorrect assumption (that a winning strategy exists), he answered some related questions about the limits of those strategies.

That's a reasonable way to do things, I think.

* -every reasonable strategy, I guess. One-legged guy on a unicycle is probably too slow, regardless of steroid intake.

stoppedcaring
Posts: 364
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:21 pm UTC

Re: What-If 0116: "No-Rules NASCAR"

Postby stoppedcaring » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:19 pm UTC

Arguably, the best strategy would be to make the other competitors go FASTER than you, to the point they were crushed by the g-forces and so you won by default.

User avatar
Whizbang
The Best Reporter
Posts: 2238
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:50 pm UTC
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Re: What-If 0116: "No-Rules NASCAR"

Postby Whizbang » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:22 pm UTC

The only winning move is not to play.

User avatar
trpmb6
Posts: 425
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:27 pm UTC

Re: What-If 0116: "No-Rules NASCAR"

Postby trpmb6 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:39 pm UTC

Jackpot777 wrote:Jeff Gordon creates life. I guess it's only fair, considering Tony Stewart's record.

(Too soon?)



I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought about this. I wonder if this went through Randall's mind when he wrote this part.
(terran/protoss/zerg/fascist fuck)

User avatar
keithl
Posts: 660
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:46 pm UTC

Re: What-If 0116: "No-Rules NASCAR"

Postby keithl » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:40 pm UTC

1) Paint a track on an enormous movable platform made of unobtanium.
2) Mount the platform on giant linear motors, so that it can shift about like a huge 2 axis work table on a milling machine. Supply the motors with terawatts of power so it can move Very Fast.
3) Anchor the motors with more unobtanium deep into the earth's crust to avoid overstressing seismic faults.
4) Attach a superstrong race car to a rotating pivot suspended beneath a giant overhead crane spanning the track. The pivot is attached over the center of the driver's torso.
5) Evacuate a large region around the racetrack platform of people and assets, and of air if possible.
6) Start the race. Shift the track platform around very fast, such that the track stays beneath the car, hovering just below the tireless rims (tires would explode). Orbit the track under the vehicle 200 times, at whatever rate the unobtanium platform can tolerate. Turn the car to match the direction of the moving track.
7) Stop moving the track. When the flying debris, cyclonic winds, and incandescent heat dies down (depending on how fast your unobtanium can move), lower a checkered flag from the overhead crane.
8) Victory!

Note - the driver may need to remain inside the car for days or weeks, until the radioactivity dies down and it is safe to approach with armored emergency vehicles.

User avatar
Introbulus
Posts: 84
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:09 am UTC
Location: New York
Contact:

Re: What-If 0116: "No-Rules NASCAR"

Postby Introbulus » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:52 pm UTC

Klear wrote:Q: What strategy would win?

A: About 90 minutes.


Site format: What if X happened?

Question posed: How do I win Nascar?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think he answered appropriately for that matter - if the goal is to complete the track in the fastest time, a 'winning' strategy would be to accomodate for the weakest factor (the Driver). From there, it's simply a matter of constructing a perfect machine that allows for maximum acceleration without killing the driver inside.

This is what Freyer gets for asking a rocket scientist how to win at Nascar.
If you can read this, you are wasting your time.

Spam_vt
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:36 pm UTC

Re: What-If 0116: "No-Rules NASCAR"

Postby Spam_vt » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:13 pm UTC

We already have race cars in real life for which the limiting factor is the G-force tolerance of the drivers. In 2001, they had to cancel a CART race because the drivers were becoming dizzy and disoriented from high G-forces (sustained 5+ Gs). CART cars were open-wheel cars that ran faster than Indy cars (and much faster than NASCAR cars), but were less advanced than Formula 1.

(Search Wikipedia for 'Firestone Firehawk 600' for reference. I tried to post a link but it was flagged as spam.)

These cars were running 235+ mph on a 1.5 mile track (smaller than Daytona). If you ran a CART or Formula 1 car on Daytona, you could probably sustain ~250 mph and finish the race in 2 hours. I would say that is the fastest you could do without building a fancy swivel seat.

PracticalM
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:42 pm UTC

Re: What-If 0116: "No-Rules NASCAR"

Postby PracticalM » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:50 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
Caesar wrote:In a "No Rules NASCAR", the speed of your vehicle wouldn't really matter. I would send a tank and shoot the other drivers.
With blue shells.


Just sayin...


Sixth edition of Car Wars coming soon.
http://www.sjgames.com/car-wars/

rmsgrey
Posts: 3633
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:35 pm UTC

Re: What-If 0116: "No-Rules NASCAR"

Postby rmsgrey » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:57 pm UTC

keithl wrote:1) Paint a track on an enormous movable platform made of unobtanium.
2) Mount the platform on giant linear motors, so that it can shift about like a huge 2 axis work table on a milling machine. Supply the motors with terawatts of power so it can move Very Fast.
3) Anchor the motors with more unobtanium deep into the earth's crust to avoid overstressing seismic faults.
4) Attach a superstrong race car to a rotating pivot suspended beneath a giant overhead crane spanning the track. The pivot is attached over the center of the driver's torso.
5) Evacuate a large region around the racetrack platform of people and assets, and of air if possible.
6) Start the race. Shift the track platform around very fast, such that the track stays beneath the car, hovering just below the tireless rims (tires would explode). Orbit the track under the vehicle 200 times, at whatever rate the unobtanium platform can tolerate. Turn the car to match the direction of the moving track.
7) Stop moving the track. When the flying debris, cyclonic winds, and incandescent heat dies down (depending on how fast your unobtanium can move), lower a checkered flag from the overhead crane.
8) Victory!

Note - the driver may need to remain inside the car for days or weeks, until the radioactivity dies down and it is safe to approach with armored emergency vehicles.


Is there any reason you're doing this on Earth?

1) Construct a Tipler cylinder
2) Construct a racetrack nearby
3) Finish the race
4) Start the race

iabervon
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:25 am UTC

Re: What-If 0116: "No-Rules NASCAR"

Postby iabervon » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:42 pm UTC

"A whole bunch of strange, extremely massive drivers were created by the collision, but all were extremely short-lived."

Sure it produced lots of strange drivers, but did it manage to produce the elusive top gear?

User avatar
Eternal Density
Posts: 5580
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:37 am UTC
Contact:

Re: What-If 0116: "No-Rules NASCAR"

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:06 am UTC

The bit at the end about "newly created drivers" had me grinning.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Trouvist
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:59 am UTC

Re: What-If 0116: "No-Rules NASCAR"

Postby Trouvist » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:02 am UTC

What if you decide to submerse the driver in a fluid, to negate the effects of the acceleration? We could even go so far as liquid-breathing if you're worried, though I favor the approach of just using high-pressure vessels and pressurizing the air enough to counteract the density. (Yes, decompression post-race would definitely cause issue at the specified densities).

User avatar
Flumble
Yes Man
Posts: 2249
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:35 pm UTC

Re: What-If 0116: "No-Rules NASCAR"

Postby Flumble » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:01 am UTC

Trouvist wrote:What if you decide to submerse the driver in a fluid, to negate the effects of the acceleration? We could even go so far as liquid-breathing if you're worried, though I favor the approach of just using high-pressure vessels and pressurizing the air enough to counteract the density. (Yes, decompression post-race would definitely cause issue at the specified densities).

How does putting the racer in fluid solve the problem of squished eyeballs, internal organ breakage and lack of blood in the front side of the body? (assuming forward acceleration; other accelerations face similar problems)

Does NASCAR prohibit the use of RC cars? If not, the driver can survive the race regardless.*


*unless dying from flying debris, radiation poisoning or heat

vortighast
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 4:41 am UTC

Re: What-If 0116: "No-Rules NASCAR"

Postby vortighast » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:02 pm UTC

Oops—we've accidentally built a particle accelerator.


This is why I read XKCD.

stoppedcaring
Posts: 364
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:21 pm UTC

Re: What-If 0116: "No-Rules NASCAR"

Postby stoppedcaring » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:52 pm UTC

Trouvist wrote:What if you decide to submerse the driver in a fluid, to negate the effects of the acceleration? We could even go so far as liquid-breathing if you're worried, though I favor the approach of just using high-pressure vessels and pressurizing the air enough to counteract the density. (Yes, decompression post-race would definitely cause issue at the specified densities).

Fluid submersion can negate the effects of jerk (the time derivative of acceleration) by spreading it out over a greater amount of time, but Randall's design is constant acceleration, so there would be no significant jerk.

ealloc
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:30 am UTC

Re: What-If 0116: "No-Rules NASCAR"

Postby ealloc » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:15 pm UTC

pete_b wrote: b) There are some really strong electro magnets in the vehicle that oppose the G direction to maybe counteract it. kind of like the levitating frog but used to hold (almost) everything in place?


This is exactly what I'm thinking. We need to remember is that it's the Normal force that kills you, not the Gravitational force. And additionally, it's not necessarily the normal force between a surface and your skin that kills you, its the normal force between your internal organs. When you land from a fall, the ground pushes on your feet, then your feet push on your legs, which push on your pelvis, which pushes on you liver, which pushes on your heart, etc (roughly). Often the actual cause of death from falls is tearing the aorta: You rib cage/organs might push up on the aorta, while you heart continues accelerating downwards, tearing it.

Immersing the person in a fluid does not solve this problem - the stopping mechanism is still the normal force. There would still be a normal force between the person and the molecules in the fluid, and of course between internal organs.

However, if you were to levitate someone in a magnetic field (a la levitating frogs), there would (I think) be no normal force and you could accelerate them up to arbitrary G forces. Here an article about using diamagnetic levitation of mice to study the effect of microgravity http://www.livescience.com/5688-mice-levitated-lab.html, and it makes a good microgravity simulator precisely because of the lack of normal forces. (Although, actually I am curious what the contribution of bulk forces vs surface forces is for a diamagnetic material in a magnetic field. For a superconductor actually I think it might be all surface forces, causing internal normal forces, but luckily for our purposes humans are not superconductors. Gotta open Jackson)

So I think the question is, how large a magnet would you need to levitate a person? How many Gs can we currently apply to a mouse?

User avatar
Zassounotsukushi
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:38 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: What-If 0116: "No-Rules NASCAR"

Postby Zassounotsukushi » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:19 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:
Trouvist wrote:What if you decide to submerse the driver in a fluid, to negate the effects of the acceleration? We could even go so far as liquid-breathing if you're worried, though I favor the approach of just using high-pressure vessels and pressurizing the air enough to counteract the density. (Yes, decompression post-race would definitely cause issue at the specified densities).

How does putting the racer in fluid solve the problem of squished eyeballs, internal organ breakage and lack of blood in the front side of the body? (assuming forward acceleration; other accelerations face similar problems)


Because the density of the eyeballs is the same as the density of the fluid. So what forces are you expecting? If I centrifuge a tank with a jellyfish in it, then it only moves if it's a different density than the water. Obviously it doesn't move, evidenced by the fact that it was neutrally buoyant to begin with.

Even if a human isn't neutrally buoyant, the "weight" on the side of the tank will only be equal to the difference between the person's weight and the weight of the displaced water. That's taking us from like 100 kg to 100 grams. Clearly this isn't constraining in the straightforward sense, and one would be forced to conclude that we can increase g-force tolerance by submersion. Full submersion.

In case it wasn't obvious, humans still have various air cavities. If you left these as they are, then you will see some truly gnarly forces. Put a human in a water tank, expose them to 20g, and you might have some minced lungs. We can kiss some of that inner ear machinery goodbye. It'll just be one big bloody soup by the end of the race.

But we have the technology. You can intentionally poke holes in eardrums and still have the person keep... most of their hearing. So we would have medical professionals (or laymen, I'm not your regulator) cut the eardrums and carefully evacuate all the air from it and the lungs. Possibly some other cavities. Then some centrifuging for good measure. Make sure we got it good and out. You might need to remove the contents of the intestines. Any fart gas that builds up might kill you. Then we have the problem of maintaining oxygenation. They're not going to breathing "normally", but I'm pretty sure that we could get some setup going which either forces Oxygen into the lung tissue, or actively maintains the concentrations of dissolved gases in the blood - much like scuba diving.

source

I had to look into this a bit because I was interested in underground nuclear explosions for space launches. With the right yield, cavity, and spare gases, you could potentially get some fairly constant accelerations. Past experience (like Plumbob) suggests that we can realistically accelerate something to beyond Earth escape velocity by kind of blowing the cap off a large underground nuclear detonation. It would be quite the boast to travel to Mars by riding on a nuclear blast wave that, by all normal means, should have vaporized you. But the accelerations for this scenario are probably beyond what's viable with 100% submersion, although it's hard to tell. We can't even know what factors can be the engineering limits.

It's not that I even like the "awesome" part of it, I just like the anti-romanticism of having to be invasively anally probed before being shot into space by a thermonuclear bomb. The sheer helplessness of full submersion for high-g is mind-blowing. It'll feel like you're getting blended. Uncomfortable can't possibly come close to describing what this poor astronaut would go through. Once you go into space, you would be resurrected from near-death by robots blowing air back into your cavities. It would be everything an alien abduction was supposed to be, and it's actually relatively physically justified. It's just so insane that no legitimate scientist would put their name behind the concept.

Trouvist
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:59 am UTC

Re: What-If 0116: "No-Rules NASCAR"

Postby Trouvist » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:02 pm UTC

Zassounotsukushi wrote:I had to look into this a bit because I was interested in underground nuclear explosions for space launches. With the right yield, cavity, and spare gases, you could potentially get some fairly constant accelerations. Past experience (like Plumbob) suggests that we can realistically accelerate something to beyond Earth escape velocity by kind of blowing the cap off a large underground nuclear detonation. It would be quite the boast to travel to Mars by riding on a nuclear blast wave that, by all normal means, should have vaporized you. But the accelerations for this scenario are probably beyond what's viable with 100% submersion, although it's hard to tell. We can't even know what factors can be the engineering limits.

It's not that I even like the "awesome" part of it, I just like the anti-romanticism of having to be invasively anally probed before being shot into space by a thermonuclear bomb. The sheer helplessness of full submersion for high-g is mind-blowing. It'll feel like you're getting blended. Uncomfortable can't possibly come close to describing what this poor astronaut would go through. Once you go into space, you would be resurrected from near-death by robots blowing air back into your cavities. It would be everything an alien abduction was supposed to be, and it's actually relatively physically justified. It's just so insane that no legitimate scientist would put their name behind the concept.


Check out Project Orion. It uses nuclear propulsion to reach escape velocities for objects the size of cities and negligible nuclear fallout.

Addendum:
As for evacuating air from the person, that's why I was suggesting liquid breathing. One could, additionally, evacuate just the lungs and use IV-based oxygenation if necessary. Removing the air from the intestines is minor, since the intestines move around so much and would allow for the air to go where it wants. As for the ear drums, they're surrounded by bone which is still enough, and the air small enough, that its not likely to cause any issue (solid structures like the temporal bone are highly unlikely to deform on their own without killing the patient, and at the g's necessary to deform the temporal bone due to the air in the ear cavity, you're already reaching g's too high for liquid submersion to work anyway. Either way, I think one could easily reach 20-50g's from liquid submersion, before the density differences between your body and the liquid matter. This is, of course, assuming we're using something akin to ballistics jelly rather than straight water.

User avatar
Zassounotsukushi
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:38 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: What-If 0116: "No-Rules NASCAR"

Postby Zassounotsukushi » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:19 am UTC

Trouvist wrote:As for the ear drums, they're surrounded by bone which is still enough, and the air small enough, that its not likely to cause any issue (solid structures like the temporal bone are highly unlikely to deform on their own without killing the patient, and at the g's necessary to deform the temporal bone due to the air in the ear cavity, you're already reaching g's too high for liquid submersion to work anyway. Either way, I think one could easily reach 20-50g's from liquid submersion, before the density differences between your body and the liquid matter. This is, of course, assuming we're using something akin to ballistics jelly rather than straight water.


But we already puncture the ear drum for certain high-intensity activities. When a sub has a major accident and is actively flooding, they have protocols to poke the eardrum before releasing the person because otherwise the drum would totally burst. Additionally, the simple fact that scuba diving works in the first place demonstrates that someone has managed (at some point) to have their inner ear in-tact amidst many times normal atmosphere pressure, which already reflects changing the quantity of fluid inside of it.

What are these g's "too high for liquid submersion to work anyway"? By what mechanism? Just tell me what the failure point is. You're supposing in your writing that a failure mechanism exists which is more restrictive than the inner ear cavity. Okay, so what is it? Isotropic pressure, the bends? Not for a looong while off. The maximum pressure difference is dictated by the largest linear dimension. For a human, this is only about 24 cm. Even this is likely a high estimate. You'd have to be at nearly 50g before the pressure difference is nearly 1 atmosphere. But that's not the constraint either. Scuba divers go way higher. Plus, we could increase it slowly (depending on the scenario). We can also pre-pressurize the liquid. Since it's incompressible, this is easy.

An atmospheric Orion would release many many times as much radiation as the underground canon. The former has nothing which resembles containment. I believe that the fill gases behind the capsule in the case of the nuclear canon would reduce radiation leaks to virtually nothing. Sure, Orion would be fine for interplanetary, but the hard part is getting to orbit in the first place. If you solve transport to space, you solve transport within space by extension, because it's no longer expensive to transport additional infrastructure.

And why must the liquid be jelly? Again, the density difference is tiny, well below 1%. Let's say it is 1%. So if we accelerate at 100g, we experience normal human weight against the wall. This isn't a problem. You're thinking of solutions to problems which are not articulated in the first place.

Density differences between tissue types would, indeed, be an issues. Bones most of all. But in that case, you develop a more complicated mechanical engineering question. For many bones which are both large and near the surface, they can be braced. For small bones, the forces likely aren't a problem because the scaling helps. It wouldn't be a simple problem, but man it would be fun to see simulations of it.

User avatar
bachaddict
Handel Played it Better
Posts: 484
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:18 am UTC
Location: Aotearoa

Re: What-If 0116: "No-Rules NASCAR"

Postby bachaddict » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:53 am UTC

Magnetic levitation would give the reverse of the effect seen in the neutron star what-if: the body parts further from the magnet get much less repulsion and thus suffer more from the G forces.
slinches wrote:Also, the OTC isn't a disease. In fact, it's the cure. As we all know, Time heals all wounds.

Thanks for the molpish wig ggh!
he/him/his

rmsgrey
Posts: 3633
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:35 pm UTC

Re: What-If 0116: "No-Rules NASCAR"

Postby rmsgrey » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:48 pm UTC

bachaddict wrote:Magnetic levitation would give the reverse of the effect seen in the neutron star what-if: the body parts further from the magnet get much less repulsion and thus suffer more from the G forces.


Depends on the magnetic field - if it's acting as though it's from a point source, sure, the effect drops off with distance, but you can get a field where the force is constant throughout...

User avatar
Klear
Posts: 1965
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:43 am UTC
Location: Prague

Re: What-If 0116: "No-Rules NASCAR"

Postby Klear » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:57 am UTC

Introbulus wrote:
Klear wrote:Q: What strategy would win?

A: About 90 minutes.


Site format: What if X happened?

Question posed: How do I win Nascar?


Q: What if X happened?

A: 90 minutes.

Nah, still doesn't work.

User avatar
azule
Saved
Posts: 2132
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:45 pm UTC
Location: The land of the Golden Puppies and Rainbows

Re: What-If 0116: "No-Rules NASCAR"

Postby azule » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:36 am UTC

Where's the mobile people? Didn't they see this word: "centrifᵫtal"? If you are seeing a square, that's actually a u-e digraph. I guess my phone is lacking some good unicode support.

vortighast wrote:
Oops—we've accidentally built a particle accelerator.


This is why I read XKCD.
Why? He got rid of the restraints of the question in order to shoehorn the LHC into the article.
Image

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

User avatar
Dauric
Posts: 3989
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:58 pm UTC
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Re: What-If 0116: "No-Rules NASCAR"

Postby Dauric » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:39 am UTC

vortighast wrote:
Oops—we've accidentally built a particle accelerator.


This is why I read XKCD.


I love that the submissions frequently have to add something to the effect that the human being in the system must survive.....

.... and Randall prompty finds a reason to ignore that qualification.

PracticalM wrote:
cellocgw wrote:
Caesar wrote:In a "No Rules NASCAR", the speed of your vehicle wouldn't really matter. I would send a tank and shoot the other drivers.
With blue shells.


Just sayin...


Sixth edition of Car Wars coming soon.
http://www.sjgames.com/car-wars/

Eagerly awaiting the kickstarter for it.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

User avatar
ilduri
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:59 am UTC
Location: Canada

Re: What-If 0116: "No-Rules NASCAR"

Postby ilduri » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:31 am UTC

azule wrote:Didn't they see this word: "centrifᵫtal"? If you are seeing a square, that's actually a u-e digraph.

I think you mean ligature. If I remember correctly:
digraph = using two letters to represent a single phoneme (eg., the ph in digraph)
ligature = using a single glyph to represent two letters (eg., the æ in encyclopædia)

Though some cases are ambiguous.
"Butterflies and zebras and moonbeams and fairytales"
she/her

User avatar
azule
Saved
Posts: 2132
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:45 pm UTC
Location: The land of the Golden Puppies and Rainbows

Re: What-If 0116: "No-Rules NASCAR"

Postby azule » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:11 am UTC

Yes, I did. Thanks.
Image

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

User avatar
thevicente
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:19 pm UTC

Re: What-If 0116: "No-Rules NASCAR"

Postby thevicente » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:38 am UTC

I logged in to applaud this What-if. Some of the last ones were boring.

User avatar
LittleMikey
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:10 pm UTC

Re: What-If 0116: "No-Rules NASCAR"

Postby LittleMikey » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:00 pm UTC

Image

TIL that I'll stare at the screen in confusion for far too long when "Actual Size" is printed on something.

User avatar
azule
Saved
Posts: 2132
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:45 pm UTC
Location: The land of the Golden Puppies and Rainbows

Re: What-If 0116: "No-Rules NASCAR"

Postby azule » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:21 am UTC

The joke's been done. I think he stopped doing [CITATION NEEDED] and now it's *Actual Size.

I'm not totally against reusing jokes...but I dunno: something.
Image

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.


Return to “What If?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests