What would you do if time travel was real?

Post your reality fanfiction here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Re: What would you do if time travel was real?

Postby Jessica » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:48 pm UTC

Tell myself when I was younger that I was trans.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Indon

Postby Indon » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:58 pm UTC

segmentation fault wrote:what if time travel is real, and people have already tried to go back in time to fix things that went wrong, only to find other things went wrong, and then stopped screwing with history because we realized theres nothing we can do to stop horrendous things from happening, so now we are left with what we have which is no better than the previous version of history?

Stranger yet: What if time travel is real, and history has already been improved as far as it can be?

But, yeah. If I didn't have some kind of no-paradox guarantee, I would probably just make a series of short hops into the Future until I got to a time I liked and settled down there for a while. Instead of moving geographically, I'd just jump a bit ahead.

With the no-paradox guarantee? I'd probably do a lot of stuff. Most prominently, the uplifting that many other people have been discussing doing. But heck, why stop there? After uplifting humanity, we could then collectively go back in time to the time the Generation I stars were first forming planets, and colonize the universe millions of years before everything else.

We would name our new homeworld "Galifrey".

Also, I'd get my degree.
So, I like talking. So if you want to talk about something with me, feel free to send me a PM.

My blog, now rarely updated.

Avram

Postby Avram » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:24 pm UTC

I'd travel one day into the future and have sex with my future self. Then I'd come back and wait for a day, at which point I will get to have sex with my past self.

Actually, screw that. Here's what I'd do as an experiment:

1) Travel one day into the future and acquire a clever disguise
2) Shadow my future self around for a week to make sure no disaster occurs (none will, of course, because my future self will already have done steps 1-3, and will be aware of any dangers, as well as aware of my inconspicuous presence)
3) Return to the moment when I originally departed for the future in step 1
4) Live for a week secure in the knowledge that A) I'm prescient of future events, and B) my past self is watching out for me

DaMullet

Postby DaMullet » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:20 pm UTC

I'd go to Einstein's deathbed and find out what the hell he said.
Will wrote:Andrew Jackson was all kinds of badass.

SecondTalon wrote:Out in the wasteland
Driving cars of rusted steel
oh, look. Burma Shave.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:HACKS ARE STING OUR SYLLES AND SING THEM TO TERRISTS!

Lumpy
I can has morbid obesity?

Postby Lumpy » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:58 pm UTC

I'd skip ahead using two year periods if I were time traveling into the future, and perhaps buy stock using the information, but otherwise use it mostly for entertainment.

First, because jumping too far ahead presents an overwhelming amount of information, and second, because jumping too far ahead (like 500 years) presents the prospect of Earth being less habitable in the region than where you had come from. I'd read about the latest news on a future computer, at first an overview (using Wikipedia's updated 2009 and 2010 pages, probably) and then dig deeper from there. I'd only need to be there about a week at most, and spend about six hours a day in the future.

There are also several astronomical events, like a very heavy meteor shower in East Asia in the 1400s, and bright supernova, that would be worth studying with modern-day equipment. Assuming no one will believe you've time traveled, it's best to only do this when your research will lead to findings that could advance further studies in a present-day environment.

Savoy_Truffle

Postby Savoy_Truffle » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:33 am UTC

Give myself extensions on all my papers by "re-starting" the week (if that's allowed).

Other than that, probably try and find the most turbulent eras and avoid creating time paradoxes (as much as I could): I've always wanted to see what it was like to be in the middle of the French Revolution! Oh, and as a relatively intelligent female, I'm sure I'd be very popular in Salem a couple hundred years ago.

Fun times 8)
Lux, Calida, Gravis que Pura velut aurum et canunt angeli moliter modo natum.

Freakish

Postby Freakish » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:20 am UTC

I'd go a few months a head in time and grab myself a copy of Spore, and Little Big Planet. Come back and play for a month or two. Then I'd just go forward a year or so at a time and see if anything cool come out.
Freakish Inc. We completely understand the public’s concern about futuristic robots feeding on the human population

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:15 am UTC

-so- many great bands that I never got a chance to see live back in the day. I would give anything to be able to back and see Pink Floyd live... or even Dire Straits or some other good 70's/80's rock band.

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:58 pm UTC

I'd go back to last Thursday night, so I could pay my phone bill on time.
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:43 am UTC

|Erasmus| wrote:-so- many great bands that I never got a chance to see live back in the day. I would give anything to be able to back and see Pink Floyd live... or even Dire Straits or some other good 70's/80's rock band.
Go back to Beethoven and Mozart and so on. With a recording device or two.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

Lumpy
I can has morbid obesity?

Postby Lumpy » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:24 am UTC

If time travel was real, I'd do nothing.

See, there's a difference between "if it were" and "if it was," as the former implies a conditional in the present and the latter in the past, and in this case "were" would be right even if it appears to violate subject-verb agreement, as the conditional tense allows or even mandates an exception for the purpose of clarity.

If it were real, I'd have gone back in time to have posted this originally instead of my last post, and then destroy said time machine.

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:47 am UTC

'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:
|Erasmus| wrote:-so- many great bands that I never got a chance to see live back in the day. I would give anything to be able to back and see Pink Floyd live... or even Dire Straits or some other good 70's/80's rock band.

yeah, that would be good too.

Savoy_Truffle

Postby Savoy_Truffle » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:24 am UTC

|Erasmus| wrote:
'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:

yeah, that would be good too.

Though it would likely take a bit to get used to the tuning....

*and to think, my dear friend wants me to sing in A415 with him on Baroque violin*
Lux, Calida, Gravis que Pura velut aurum et canunt angeli moliter modo natum.

NMcCoy

Postby NMcCoy » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:36 am UTC

I would totally go for the "make out with myself" option - not that I find myself all that attractive, personally, but for the experience of it - to learn what the exact same touch feels like from both perspectives, to find out what I'm like when I'm not being "me", and so on. I'd emerge from the encounter probably both enlightened and utterly freaked out. Ideally I'd want to try this twice, once with a couple hours' offset, once with a year or so, to explore the similarities and differences with who I am.

Fat Tony

Postby Fat Tony » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:25 pm UTC

Gharbad wrote:What would you do if time travel was real?

If?
Wanna hear the truth? Life is downright ok.

styrofoam

Postby styrofoam » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:35 pm UTC

* learn, once and for all, how the universe came to be
* listen to Jesus preach (maybe engineer some/all of his miracles -- see above)
* talk to myself from 15 minutes older self, travel back and (15 minutes later) talk to my 15 minutes younger self. Not make out (just seems uncomfortable), but I definitely want to know what I'm like.
* go back in time repeatedly, collecting an army of myselves, and build and launch a space station.
aadams wrote:I am a very nice whatever it is I am.

Incompetent

Postby Incompetent » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:24 am UTC

Go back and pester my younger self to do more stuff during the school holidays and generally try to cheer him up. I'd probably have listened if it were me saying it. Failing that I could at least teach my younger self some maths, which would save time overall.

Also, +1 on Lumpy's idea. If the future is awesome, I'd want to get there, but if it looks like it's turning out bad I'd want the chance to go back to a better time.

Ephemeron

Postby Ephemeron » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:19 am UTC

pollywog wrote:I'd get myself a sniper rifle (can we go forward in time? If so, I would get an invisibility cloak, if one had been invented) and go through history, killing all the bad guys.

The trick is to make it look like suicide, like I did with Hitler. Also, ever wonder why so many famous people commit sucide or die in mysterious circumstances...? :shock:

Hit3k wrote:I'd go back in time and unintentionally change the future. Because lets be real here. If you go back in time to change something on purpose then you wouldn't have to go back in time to change it anyway. Unless there was a bad ass-paradox corrector then I'd just go absolutely nuts.

Fixed

Sid Beretta

Postby Sid Beretta » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:30 am UTC

I thought about this once, I was reading landspeed records. Back in the day, tops was like 90 MPH.

So this is what I'd want to do, go back to the day they set that record, arrive right after they did it. But, I'd bring my car with me.

My car is a Chevy Cobalt. It is very plain by today's standards, it's the second cheapest car in the Chevrolet lineup. However, it would be leaps, bounds, and miles ahead of what they had. On top of that, I know (for a fact, of course) that the Cobalt can run three-figure speeds, and take out their new land speed king. I could then tell the awed onlookers how this car is completely unimpressive from where I come from.

MysteryBall

Postby MysteryBall » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:38 am UTC

Show Vincent how awesome he is in the future (and perhaps acquire a painting) [possible spoilers if you haven't seen that episode of Doctor Who]

In other news, I'd probably go back to the 11th Doctor auditions, constantly try out (by going back of course) until I get the part, all for that scene at the end of the Weeping Angels two parter (you know the one). Of course, by going back and retrying, I can't really comprehend how that would work because you'd have to stop yourself every time so you didn't end up going in multiple times, but by stopping yourself... I'm not really sure actually.

And yeah, I'd probably go mess with time a bit, for kicks, sit myself in a couple of famous photos perhaps, just for kicks (makes a great thing to show off later).

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:02 am UTC

Hm! I would go back to my college freshman self and say, "It's okay to major in English. As long as you get a degree for fuck's sake! Don't kill yourself trying to learn science or IT, both of which you hate and aren't particularly good at anyway, because if you do then you'll drop out before you finish. Play to your strengths. Remember the name *name of my boyfriend* in *city my boyfriend lives in.* Oh, and don't get those credit cards, idiot."
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

LinuxPenguin

Postby LinuxPenguin » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:16 am UTC

I would:

- Go back to just after my senior year in high school and tell myself to not be such an awkward arse when it came to meeting that girl my freshman year of college. :oops: (and perhaps remind myself that i really do need to go to that early monday morning class)
- Go back to the mid/late 80s and see The Pogues in concert!
- Buy last weeks winning lotto ticket.

Can i bring stuff from the past back with me to the present? 'cause if so, i'd go back to 1965, acquire a brand spanking new Aston Martin DB6 (in that lovely dark red they came in), and bring it back to the present.
 Mac User (Running OS X, Linux, and Chrome OS)

Neuman

Postby Neuman » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:41 am UTC

1. Go a little bit into the future. Find out exactly how time travel works, and take advantage of as much future medical technology as they'll let me. Really transhuman it up, you know?
2. (a)If I can accidentally paradox myself out existence, don't travel into the past. If the future turns out to be better than right now, keep living there. Otherwise, return to my own time and only use the time machine to keep tabs on how history is progressing, then use the billions of dollars I have from playing the stock market to guide the future in the direction I want it to go in.
(b)If time can't be changed no matter what I do, use the time machine for archeology and paleontology.
(c)If each change to the timeline makes a parallel universe... I can do any number of social experiments, can't I? Even just using photoshop, I can provide "definitive proof" of any number of things.
Hello. I'm Leonard Nimoy. The following tale of alien encounters is true. And by true, I mean false. It's all lies. But they're entertaining lies. And in the end, isn't that the real truth? The answer is: No.

LinuxPenguin

Postby LinuxPenguin » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:35 pm UTC

Damn. ... That makes my answer seem really... ... Shit.
 Mac User (Running OS X, Linux, and Chrome OS)

Gears
Bulletproof

Postby Gears » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:38 am UTC

Kick my own ass and send myself to college. Tell myself to remind Mandy I love her just because sometimes or she'll feel alone.
General_Norris wrote:I notice a lack of counter-arguments and a lot of fisting.

Impulse97

Postby Impulse97 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:01 pm UTC

Why kick your own ass? You have the Corps for that! lol.

I'd go back and stop Bush from being elected...
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Dude, everyone likes girls. Have you seen girls? Girls are hot!

The preceding sentence was made with good faith and good humor...

greengiant

Postby greengiant » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:11 pm UTC

Neuman wrote:If I can accidentally paradox myself out existence, don't travel into the past.

What if you paradox yourself out of existence by going to the future? E.g. you go to the year 2100, grab some nuclear powered knees and return to the present. Your nuclear knees go into meltdown and the whole world is flooded with deadly long-lasting radiation. Because of this, the future you travelled to is now deadly and kills you immediately upon arrival (averting the meltdown, cue temporal trickiness).

Impulse97

Postby Impulse97 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:24 pm UTC

hmmm. Intresting.

Then he would never have gone to the future int he first place...thus be alive and dead at the same time...
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Dude, everyone likes girls. Have you seen girls? Girls are hot!

The preceding sentence was made with good faith and good humor...

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:33 pm UTC

I would never masturbate again.

Presuming I can't actually change anything, and all my wacky misadventures in time can't therefore break the universe or ruin any timelines, I would just have a riot travelling through history.
Also I would create stable time loops just because I can.
I mostly lurk. Hello.

Numzane

Postby Numzane » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:51 pm UTC

I'd do something similar to Neuman. I'd go far enough into the future to the point where medicine/technology can make humans live for ever, or for very, very long. Then I'd go way back in time and play god.

Also, time travel is real, though not in the way envisioned in this thread.
*Often edits posts as soon as they're posted*

James while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:45 am UTC

I'd be wary about going to the future. If you can build a time machine, so can other people, so why haven't we had visitors from the future? The only explanation I can think of is that there's some kind of Time PoliceTM organisation which prevents people time-travelling to the past and screwing up history. So yeah, I'd probably limit my explorations to the near-future and the past. There are any number of ways you could get fabulously wealthy. I think the best bet is to go back in time to something around ancient Greece with as much science and technology as you can carry and try and advance civilization by a thousand years or so.

thoughtfully

Postby thoughtfully » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:52 am UTC

Shoot, Greece didn't need any help. It's the Dark Ages after the fall of Rome that set civilization back several hundred years. Well, Western Civilization. Arabia, India, and China weren't really affected. What'd be interesting to see is how things would be different if Science had developed in the East. Why didn't it, anyway? They certainly had the opportunity, while Europe was twiddling its thumbs.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

hintss

Postby hintss » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:33 pm UTC

my friends say I'm too destructive, and that if I had timetravel/superspeed/invisibility/other superpower, the world would end...

Quantum Sunshine

Postby Quantum Sunshine » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:33 am UTC

At the moment, there are exactly two things I want to do.
  • Leave Douglas Adams a letter to be opened on the week of his death day telling him which day he would die on, which author would finish the Hitchhikers series, and that he would be unable to finish The Salmon of a Doubt. This of course would cause immense depression to any man so I would also tell him that the asteroid 2001 DA 42 would be renamed 25924 Douglasadams in his honor.
  • And of course I would go back in time and just watch major events in the universe (on a galactic scale, not just on the planetary scale), TARDIS style.

Hoopla

Postby Hoopla » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:52 am UTC

I know what I would do:
1. figure out all the unknown stuff in ancient history (first I went forward and gave myself the elixir for eternal youth)
2. find one of those horse races where the horse expected to come in 53rd wins, and pour my life savings into it.
3. go to the California gold rush with a giant backhoe. go to 2100. sell all the gold.
4. stock exchange. need I say more?
Jahoclave wrote:Luckily they forgot the bacon, otherwise we'd be screwed.

THIS IS CARLYLE BLUMENTHAL III AND I APPROVE THIS MESSAGE!

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:39 am UTC

Go back in time, get currently-extinct animal species, bring them back, and recreate Zoo Tycoon: Dinosaur Digs.

Also, go into the future, steal advanced technology, come back, and make myself the wealthiest man in the world.
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

I knew from that moment that she was something special"

Outbreak, a tale of love and zombies.

In stores now.

Blackhawk5367

Postby Blackhawk5367 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:19 am UTC

tell myself what stocks to invest in
prepare myself for all major world events
buy some original arcade machines
tell myself to make facebook but with better privacy
and then make sure nothing bad happened as a result of this and if so try to fix it
Maybe if this post is witty and/or original enough
Someone will finally love me

Blackhawk5367

Postby Blackhawk5367 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:23 am UTC

Avram wrote:I'd travel one day into the future and have sex with my future self. Then I'd come back and wait for a day, at which point I will get to have sex with my past self.

Actually, screw that. Here's what I'd do as an experiment:

1) Travel one day into the future and acquire a clever disguise
2) Shadow my future self around for a week to make sure no disaster occurs (none will, of course, because my future self will already have done steps 1-3, and will be aware of any dangers, as well as aware of my inconspicuous presence)
3) Return to the moment when I originally departed for the future in step 1
4) Live for a week secure in the knowledge that A) I'm prescient of future events, and B) my past self is watching out for me

Yes
Maybe if this post is witty and/or original enough
Someone will finally love me

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:30 am UTC

I would kill the parents of anyone who every pissed me off or made me upset.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:20 pm UTC

Thesh wrote:I would kill the parents of anyone who every pissed me off or made me upset.

I hope you've never been mad at yourself. Because then you'd cause a paradox, and I don't want to see the universe end.
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

I knew from that moment that she was something special"

Outbreak, a tale of love and zombies.

In stores now.

Return to “Fictional Science”