The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

BoomFrog

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:45 pm UTC

Ghostbusters
Spoiler:
Hmm, so I'm a roleblocker. Except I don't want to Roleblock a townie, obviously (unless they were a mandatory doctor or something :? ) But if the mafia have a mandatory NK then I don't want to block that either.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:34 pm UTC

Ghostbusters
Spoiler:
New strategies coming out. Definitely less greedy with no self-voting yet!

Also;
Is this the start of a Boomfrog Gambit?
I'm certainly confused by it so far (:

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:45 pm UTC

Ghostbusters
Spoiler:
Oh, suicide Junkie you can play along too. Can you guess what my gambit is this game? It's basically a pure essence of my favorite thing.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:31 pm UTC

Ghostbusters
Spoiler:
So I'm a ghost (mafia?) which I suppose is typical. Thing is it's an indie mafia? I don't have night/day chat with other scum, nor do I know who they are. My power is strange, anyone who targets me in the night becomes a godfather, and shows up as a ghost to investigation. I'm not really sure how to use that yet, as I want to lynch ghosts, but I make other appear to be ghosts? If someone gets godfather'd by me, it makes them unlikely to be lynched if investigated, as town want to lynch other town, not ghosts.

Wait a minute...what if ghosts are town, and the ghostbusters are mafia?! I mean, the math checks out, I have no night chat, don't know who are among my ranks, and I have no night kill?
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:39 pm UTC

Ghostbusters
Spoiler:
Oh No! Boomfrog has mind reading powers too?

*head tilt* Some sort of Bessie gambit?
No, that's backwards.

Surely claiming that I'm doing something normal is some sort of reverse-psychology thing, but that point about expecting independents is a good one.

Are you maybe playing opposites day every other sentence?
(S) Sabrar is not too jumpy for a ghost.
(R) The flavor makes perfect sense.
(S) I expected the ghostbusters to not be in here with us.
(R) Probably SuicideJunkie is doing something normal and will just hand-wave a a ghostbuster lynch in the flavor.
(S) Maybe lynching a ghostbuster will shoot them out of the containment?
(R) Anyway, I think we have other scum in here, so we shouldn't focus on looking for a team, especially with our large number of players.
(S) How do I think the mafia NK works this game?
(R) I'm uninterested in how it worked last game, but it is probably exactly the same.

Doesn't quite work...

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:36 pm UTC

Ghostbusters
Spoiler:
The thread seems to have quieted down, and people are rolling with the random option?

I'll have to think up some powers that can influence D1 to make things spicier next time. :twisted:

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:31 pm UTC

Ghostbusters

Spoiler:
C'mon, someone else vote for me so I can hammer myself (but not you wam). Or I can be a good OTTer and wait for it since I'm leading.
Maybe I could wait until very close to deadline and vote myself just to be sure.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:28 pm UTC

Ghostbusters
Spoiler:
People might not have noticed that Hammer-1 is a laggy hammer in most cases...

Seems like wam's vote bounced a hearty scoop of towniness off Sabrar, and onto Moody without any collusion. That's amazing and I really want to know if it was intentional!

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:05 pm UTC

Ghostbusters
Spoiler:
Well done moody. If you are scum then freezeblade is forbidden to be lynched for the rest of the game.... :P
Last edited by BoomFrog on Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:06 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:15 am UTC

Ghostbusters
Spoiler:
"Well done moody. If you are scum then freezeblade is forbidden to be lynched for the rest of the game.... :p"--BoomFrog

Just as keikaku

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

bessie

Postby bessie » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:27 pm UTC

Ghostbusters
Spoiler:
Hammering while I'm at work? You all suck. moody you better be scum.

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:24 pm UTC

Ghostbusters
Spoiler:
Well, things are looking pretty bad for town right now, with one mafia down, and everybody chasing the wrong suspects.

I suspect Bessie and Mpolo are going to be critical to salvaging the situation.

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:09 pm UTC

Ghostbusters
Spoiler:
Hmm. Bessie brings up a good anti-point. I give a lot of info for fluff reasons that is not nessesary.

I should do a cyberspace theme next time with UDP based powers so I don't feel any pressure to give fluff-results.

bessie

Postby bessie » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:24 am UTC

Ghostbusters
Spoiler:
http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=4468995#p4468995
The Rules wrote:7. The mod will not lie or attempt to influence the game state. The mod may choose not to answer questions in order to maintain this.

http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=4473001#p4473001
SuicideJunkie wrote:It would be best to get back on track for deciding whom should be next out.

You’re attempting to influence the game state, by encouraging us to lynch.

Pre-post edit: I apologize for being a woof over this, but this is not what I would expect in a medium bastard game.

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:48 pm UTC

bessie wrote:Ghostbusters
Spoiler:
http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=4468995#p4468995
The Rules wrote:7. The mod will not lie or attempt to influence the game state. The mod may choose not to answer questions in order to maintain this.

http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=4473001#p4473001
SuicideJunkie wrote:It would be best to get back on track for deciding whom should be next out.

You’re attempting to influence the game state, by encouraging us to lynch.

Pre-post edit: I apologize for being a woof over this, but this is not what I would expect in a medium bastard game.

Ghostbusters
Spoiler:
I suppose I can see that. It was more a reaction to the wave of questions... You should be grilling the players, not the mod ;)

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:55 pm UTC

Ghostbusters
Spoiler:
re:mod interference per my post in thread: I'm not sure if this is exactly what is happening, but I figure it's important to get conversation distracted from any conversation involving my role or it's powers. Now that I have gotten over my dumb-ness from earlier (thinking ghosts were the mafia), I realize that my power is horrible for town, once scum realize that targeting me is essentially immunity from investigation (makes anyone show up as a ghost in investigations), it makes the cop results completely useless, drowning in a sea of wine.

Not sure now how to convince people that I'm town, after my D1 vote, especially with my shitty power, which I'd prefer to keep on the DL, for the above mentioned reason.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:38 pm UTC

Anyone interested in catching up with me during my World Tour, here's my current itinerary:

Amsterdam: 6-9 September

Berlin: 13-17 September

I am also planning on visiting Italy, hopefully Belgium, and maybe Estonia just to be a bit random.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby plytho » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:17 pm UTC

Madge wrote:hopefully Belgium
I'll probably be there!

I also might be in Berlin for work after you're there. (18-20)
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:18 pm UTC

like ships in the night hey? :)
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:26 pm UTC

Ghostbusters
Spoiler:
Hrmph. It seems mpolo has gotten the impression he's secretly a rolecop.
Which I suppose is probably expected to be milkable from my typical generosity with fluff, but not at all what I was going for.

Its a loud roleblock & potential self-vig (crossed streams) at the cost of miller-tude.
With the option to give up the RB+SV+Miller in exchange for being a night action magnet to protect his target.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:15 pm UTC

Ghostbusters
Spoiler:
Normally the "reward" for playing well as town is to get NKed so Sabrar's complaint doesn't really apply. I'm enjoying the reversii format, I think there's some rough edges, but this is worth exploring. I like how fresh it is.

Main downsides seem to be:
1) Less reason to NK so mafia has less recourse against a persuasive townie, and really just less influence on the game. I like the mafia having subtle influence.
2) a single 100% outed scum means the whole team loses. This is a real issue. If FB is indeed scum I bet he's feeling really frustrated right now.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:48 am UTC

SuicideJunkie wrote:Ghostbusters
Spoiler:
Hrmph. It seems mpolo has gotten the impression he's secretly a rolecop.
Which I suppose is probably expected to be milkable from my typical generosity with fluff, but not at all what I was going for.

Its a loud roleblock & potential self-vig (crossed streams) at the cost of miller-tude.
With the option to give up the RB+SV+Miller in exchange for being a night action magnet to protect his target.

Spoiler:
What is mpolo's actual role PM?

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:05 am UTC

Ghostbusters @ boomfrog
Spoiler:
1) NKs are one of the tricky bits for sure, with a lot of balance swing potential. Pretty much have to be no friendly fire for mafia, and compulsory if you want any to happen.
Having the obligatory doctors should work OK, and they'll become more effective at protecting as the doctor:others ratio evens out. One nice thing is it hurts collaboration between a swarm doctors since the Mafia will hear the plans. Too many could probably break the game by playing battleship for scum hunting.

2) One of the considerations I had for the larger game setup was mafia with a one-shot vig. If they can save it to 1vX and no RB lands, then they win, and they can use it to stave off defeat for a bit if town gets lucky early on and outs one of them. It also gives mafia a player they don't want to lose to a lynch to mix things up.

I wanted to try and fit all the Ghostbusters as town, but the huge snag there was just the option of people yelling out name claims for a quick outing of someone. It would have had to have been amnesia Ghostbusters at least, or the only options for ghosts to claim would be implausible. "Er, I'm that EPA inspector guy? ... but not a traitor trying to shut you all down and let the ghosts out, honest!" "Just an innocent child that wandered in and pushed buttons to kick off the whole mess?"
That or do a dimensional crossover with the new ghostbusters movie, so there's ~10 names to choose from.

I was also hoping to find a way to make Slimer work as a ghost Ghostbuster, but as you note, that makes it basically impossible to win.

For Mpolo:
SuicideJunkie wrote:You are Mimikyu, a ghost.
Hiding your true form at all costs, you've gotten pretty good at swapping between very accurate disguises when you have a template to work from. Currently you are in the guise of Peter Venkman, the Ghostbuster who originally captured you. After spending weeks refining your disguise and props, you are keen to find out what happens if you cross the streams. You're already dead, so what's the worst that could happen?

Starting Disguise Power:
You may target one player during the night and fire your phantasmal Proton Pack at them.
Note: this is semi-loud; the victim (but not the thread) will know they were hit.
Your disguise is good enough to detect as human. (Miller effect)

Inherent Power:
You may target one player during the night, and take on their form. This will render you indistinguishable from your target for all other power targeting. You will lose any previous disguise effects when you change forms.

Reversi Win Condition:
As a ghost, you must vote off or otherwise eliminate ghosts, including yourself in order to win.
if all the Ghostbusters escape, you will lose.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:17 am UTC

Ghostbusters @SJ
Spoiler:
So what was your intent if he targeted a ghost. Would he get to know that his new disguise is a ghost or human?

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:18 am UTC

Ghostbusters

Spoiler:
Well, so much for the perfect scum game with two of the scummiest meta players. wam still has half a chance if he'll start posting again.
Sabrar and bessie look amenable, and with BF not there to push against him, maybe?

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:03 am UTC

BoomFrog wrote:Ghostbusters @SJ
Spoiler:
So what was your intent if he targeted a ghost. Would he get to know that his new disguise is a ghost or human?

Ghostbusters @ Boomfrog
Spoiler:
Might think of better wording in the next 24 hours, but regardless of targeting, it would be something like:
"After furtively glancing around to make sure nobody is peeking, you take a moment to quickly stitch some buttons and cloth to a stick. A slapdash application of ghostly power to make people think it looks just like Bessie and then you jump in, leaving your old costume to fade to dust. Phew! You're pretty sure nobody saw you."

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:45 am UTC

SuicideJunkie wrote:
BoomFrog wrote:Ghostbusters @SJ
Spoiler:

Ghostbusters @ Boomfrog
Spoiler:
Might think of better wording in the next 24 hours, but regardless of targeting, it would be something like:
"After furtively glancing around to make sure nobody is peeking, you take a moment to quickly stitch some buttons and cloth to a stick. A slapdash application of ghostly power to make people think it looks just like Bessie and then you jump in, leaving your old costume to fade to dust. Phew! You're pretty sure nobody saw you."

Spoiler:
Plus some note about losing his proton pack and miller effect. Yeah, seems totally fine. I can see the player confusion, but you are doing things correctly. mpolo should have asked you more clarifying questions about how his power worked.

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:52 am UTC

Ghostbusters @ Boomfrog

Spoiler:
That would be the bit about "leaving your old costume to fade to dust."
(and the power description in the role)

I'll explicitly bold-note that the PP power is gone separately.

bessie

Postby bessie » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:13 am UTC

Ghostbusters mafia
Spoiler:
BoomFrog wrote:Actually, let Bessie hammer in case she wants to post. And she'll probably enjoy it. <3

Sorry BoomFrog. The boss hit me with a project late yesterday, so I was late leaving work and then had to drive my husband to a gig so I got home late. And today I was working on said project from 7 to 6 and skipped lunch. I glanced at the thread at about 4 and was going to read through and make a quick post but I was in my office so they knew where to find me. I couldn’t get back to it until like 4:56. I could have posted a picture of my dog looking really sad. :(

BoomFrog wrote:Sabrar... hmm. You're on your own, i would need to hear his claim to really judge him. Feels townie, but I have this slight twinge that he wants me gone.

Interesting, I’ve been having the exact same thought. But I’m pretty sure it’s all about me me me. My guess is he didn’t get the joke in this post and wants you gone so he doesn’t have to compete with you for my attention. :P

I have an investigative power and I don't know if it's actually good for anything. In like, I don't know what it does and I'm pretty sure I won't get a straight answer if I ask, but that's ok, I like the puzzle. I think it's a cop that can detect something that should be distinct to humans and not to ghosts, but it might be a watcher. I hope it's a cop, I'm hitting Sabrar. Again.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:29 am UTC

Ghostbusters
Spoiler:
My understanding is that roleblock does not block passive abilities (such as bulletproof vest for example).
If that is not standard mechanics, do let me know in Gojoe, and I will apply it to any future games.

Btw, this can go either way,sometimes roleblocks suppress passive abilities like bulletproof and can be an interesting way of having town or the mafia need to figure out secret info to make an optimal play. Like a SK who is permanently bulletproof unless RBed. But something like godfather is never affected by RB (although that'd be interesting if it was). And something like PGO can go either way and the mod should decide before the game starts how each role will interact with each other role.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:08 am UTC

Ghostbusters
Spoiler:
@BoomFrog: at times there are personal reasons for what I'm doing and I'm in no rush to reveal them. :oops:

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:46 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:Ghostbusters
Spoiler:
@BoomFrog: at times there are personal reasons for what I'm doing and I'm in no rush to reveal them. :oops:

Sabrar may read
Ghostbusters
Spoiler:
You're good. *internet hug*

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:37 pm UTC

BoomFrog wrote:Ghostbusters
Spoiler:
My understanding is that roleblock does not block passive abilities (such as bulletproof vest for example).
If that is not standard mechanics, do let me know in Gojoe, and I will apply it to any future games.

Btw, this can go either way,sometimes roleblocks suppress passive abilities like bulletproof and can be an interesting way of having town or the mafia need to figure out secret info to make an optimal play. Like a SK who is permanently bulletproof unless RBed. But something like godfather is never affected by RB (although that'd be interesting if it was). And something like PGO can go either way and the mod should decide before the game starts how each role will interact with each other role.

Ghostbusters
Spoiler:
Good to know. Should open up a new dimension of possibilities to consider.

I had already decided that Freezeblade's was unroleblockable from the start; as a Goo Fountain ghost, anyone who visits gets drenched in ectoplasm.
A jumpscare or a proton beam would logically just cause more splatter rather than preventing it :)

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:51 pm UTC

Ghostbusters
Spoiler:
Hopefully those portraits aren't unflattering, and the links work :D

Also:

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:24 am UTC

Ghostbusters
Spoiler:
So mpolo target wam cause he was suspicious, and wam targeted mpolo because he really thought mpolo was a cop and I was right about the stream crossing being good for ghosts? Wooo!

Take it home Bessie and Sabrar!

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:34 am UTC

Ghostbusters
Spoiler:
Bessie's going to have an tough puzzle now... got blocked N1, and by the end of N2 there are no uncontaminated results left at all, but maybe she can puzzle out something from the contamination pattern itself?

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:35 am UTC

Ghostbusters

BoomFrog wrote:
Spoiler:
So mpolo target wam cause he was suspicious, and wam targeted mpolo because he really thought mpolo was a cop and I was right about the stream crossing being good for ghosts? Wooo!

Take it home Bessie and Sabrar!

Spoiler:
Yep. Tried to target wam. Best thing I could have done in this game, it appears! Tried to mimic freezeblade, but didn't get around to that due to crossing the streams…
Image <-- Evil experiment

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:02 pm UTC

Ghostbusters
Spoiler:
wam wrote:Tbh putting a doc in the game without an kill is something I would do...

Like in the last reversi?
Me too! :D

Although I did have an optional kill that wasn't likely to be used, and a role that wanted to be doctored so it could be more active.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:45 pm UTC

Ghostbusters
Spoiler:
I'm a curious ghost. Basically universal backup. I found a proton pack n1. Wasnt told what it did so used it last night. Didn't get any results other than the explosion so I guess I crossed the streams :oops:

Oooo.... that's a mistake. There's evidence that wam fired the proton pack N1 because everyone else has a plausible explanation. But wam is saying here that he first used the pack N2. This would have been a good claim if he'd said he got the proton back at the start of N! and used it on bessie "to see what would happen" N1. Then he could claim he used it on mpolo N2 to cross the streams on purpose "to see what would happen" again.

Btw, @SJ did both ghost busters have proton packs? What happened if they targeted eachother?

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:17 pm UTC

BoomFrog wrote:Ghostbusters
Spoiler:
Btw, @SJ did both ghost busters have proton packs? What happened if they targeted eachother?

Ghostbusters
Spoiler:
Just one. The other was a blended pseudocop/watcher; the good old PKE meter for detecting how much ghostly activity is at a location.

Didn't have to worry about the cop part because mafia, but it was uncalibrated in bias and scale.
(Humans are +2, ghosts are -2, sum over visitors of your target, add slime and other GF/M effects on top)

Re human charge inspiration:
Did you know there is a SPOOKY WALKING SKELETON inside you?!?

Also, it made for a targeting ability so as to get slimed and/or spread human coffee/banana stench around for Bessie to find.

Another possibly important oversight, is not having a Name to claim. Everyone else is named after something you can google, (after depunning in one case).
For that claim... I'd go with "Mittens" (as in curiosity killed me, so I'm a ghost cat now)

Edit: No, Margaret is a better name.

Return to “Mafia”