The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

heuristically_alone

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby heuristically_alone » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:31 am UTC

Bin chicken mafia
Spoiler:
My post I just made to me sounds a lot like something I would say as mafia. Trying to get people not to look at me this round and focus on someone else. And I do believe Sabrar or Laserguy is mafia, and if I were scum right now and one was my partner I still would be pushing for the vote on one of them, hopefully getting town lynched first, the scum.

Anyhow, I do believe that if Sabrar is town he will notice this posts looks like scum work and will go after me.
If he is scum, more likely keep me alive a bit longer if hw can get another townie lynched today, knowing he can put together a case and get me lynched at a later time with more disasterous results.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

You can learn to levitate with just a little help.

:idea: = Surprised Cyclops

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:55 am UTC

2R1B1B
Spoiler:
I predict Madge is sniper and H_A is pres. Behold as I make a technically correct move that will end up costing me the game. If H_A and I are trapped together and I'm the leader no one should help him escape, but someone in the next five rounds will take pity on him.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:27 am UTC

2R1B1B (players must not read):
Spoiler:
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm enjoying this immensely.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Madge

Postby Madge » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:52 am UTC

2R1B1B

Spoiler:
So, I made BoomFrog a (genuine!) offer to ally with him hard following a card share, and on the face it seems to have gone down well - but he's sharing with HEURI first??? Says it's to get more information but I don't WANT information, I want to know I can trust him :|

I'm annoyed because I am trying, hard, to cultivate a trustworthy meta because I think it's useful in games like this in general. But I'm telling BoomFrog that I'm not sure I want to be on his side with these shenanigans, so we'll see how we go.

It does mean that in the next room I'm going to be STUFFED. People will assume I have an ally already when I don't. I hope I can find some grey people - I'm the president, after all.

I've asked to be the exchanged hostage so we'll see where I get with that.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:42 am UTC

Bin Chicken Mafia
Spoiler:
Trying to distance myself from dimochka by being my usual 'frustrated' self. I'm hoping jimbob will pick up on it and will deduce that it's not scum vs scum. :)

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:52 pm UTC

Bin Chicken Mafia
Spoiler:
NNNNNNNNNNYEeeeeeaaarghhhh.
Just spent the last bloody hour re-reading D2 over and over to get myself to produce some kind of observation, but I didn't come up with anything, that hasn't been said before. I was hoping this would get easier than it was on D1 and by now I have some people on my case both for lurking and for repeating things others have said before.
—◯‐◯ FG Discord

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:20 am UTC

2R1B1B

Spoiler:
I wish I had told Boomfrog I was the decoy instead. He had more reason to betray me. The sniper is the most likely role to come into the other room, since he has the most need. Boomfrog will gladly gove me up to be able to stay in the room with madge. I could trust the gambler because I know the bomber is gonna win.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:23 am UTC

2R1B1B
Spoiler:
The game is basically over. Gambler wins. I win. Sniper has a 50/50 shot (as do decoy and target) and all target and decoy have to do to keep it that way is to shut up. I think everyone underestimated how important leadership is. If Madge hadn't shared I'd have kept her in the room but at least there would be some doubt and I would have to consider that the president might have been in the other room.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:57 pm UTC

2R1B1B

Spoiler:
My prediction. Gambler was sent to other room and sniper and decoy stayed in this room. Gambler publically claimed and knows bomber nor president are in that room. Sniper believes he has find the target and that decoy was in other room and therefore had already won. (A bit hopeful). If I show an urge to be in the other room they may believe I am the bomber. Gambler will come back over and it will be up to him whether he cares to spoil what is in other room or not.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

Madge

Postby Madge » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:44 am UTC

2R1B1B

Spoiler:
So, I kind of shot myself in the foot by abdicating the leadership in an attempt to show loyalty to someone I didn't know if I could be loyal to or not. That was really stupid.

New self-rule: make a genuine promise undying loyalty early on, but until that promise is reciprocated, act in self-interest.

(My undying loyalty promise is basically borne out of my observations from watching Survivor for many years, having a ride-or-die ally from day 1 is extremely helpful, and more than that, having a reputation for keeping with such allys is gold. Thanks to the iterative nature of these sorts of games, I can hopefully cultivate such a reputation, which may lose me some battles but will win me the war - though it's not working well for me so far.)

I'm feeling blah because I screwed up, and I can't think of a way to convince Bessie to take my side based on game factors only. Of course, nor can BF (though he's obviously already done so), but he had the advantage of getting to talk first and already being in a position of power (THAT I FRIGGIN GAVE TO HIM LIKE AN IDIOT - can you sense my frustration?).

So instead of blaming my own poor play, my mind tells me that it's all because ConMan didn't send me a PM with a link to the room and rather expected us to find the threads in the forum like a reasonable adult. I hate that I think things like this, it's so unsporting!!! Come on, Madge-brain, accept your faults rather than trying to externalise them *breathes into paper bag*
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:54 am UTC

Bin Chicken Mafia
Spoiler:
So now that we're specifically looking for the Doctor I'm convinced that it's somitomi because here he replies from a Doc's pov, preferring Cop instead of Tracker. Why didn't I notice this earlier???

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:14 pm UTC

Bin Chicken Mafia:
Spoiler:
Gah, looks like I'm going to have to claim, which all but seals mine or flicky's death tonight (scum will roleblock one and kill the other). Only hope is that we lynch the roleblocker and flicky gets a useful result. Otherwise, it's 2 from 3 players as scum, with flicky and heuristically_alone making up the numbers. Actually, that's not as bad as it sounds. Assuming nobody's completely misreading LaserGuy and he is in fact scum, that leaves whichever two from dimochka, Sabrar and somitomi are still alive as the only possible scum. FWIW, my money is currently on a Sabrar/somitomi scum team as noted in thread.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:36 am UTC

Bin Chicken Mafia
Spoiler:
So I picked the right person for a false reason and was entirely wrong about somitomi. No surprise at all. :(

This is my 3rd game in a 9-person open-setup. I was scum in all 3 and so far the games have all gone the same way, with 2 mislynches D1 and D2. In both previous games I was lynched D3 and my partner D4, let's see if we can break that tradition.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:49 am UTC

Bin Chicken Mafia:
Spoiler:
Pessimistic prediction for the morning: we mislynched somitomi. Scum kill flicky and roleblock me. Sabrar comes in swinging crying foul (or fowl?) saying how I'm clearly lying and points at various things, convincing heuristically_alone, voting with Sabrar and teammate to lynch me.

Optimistic view: we lynched the roleblocker, flicky copped town!LaserGuy, and scum kill me (also works if flicky got a town result on any other still-living player). Game is solved at that point with a majority of confirmed town. Just lynch everybody else.

Other possibilities: we mislynched and scum kill me,
blocking flicky. Town have to figure out which two of {Sabrar, dimochka and LaserGuy} are scum with no free mislynches. I'd be surprised if it's LaserGuy but it would need considering.

Or we lynched the mafia goon. If scum kill me, it's one of {Sabrar, dimochka, LaserGuy} for certain, with a mislynch remaining. If they kill heuristically_alone, then from then on, I'm free to roam with my protection (I assume they won't allow flicky to get results). However, I get added to the theoretical lynch pool from the previous case.

There are some other cases, but I can't be bothered to figure them out right now.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:51 am UTC

Bin Chicken Mafia

Spoiler:
Town mislynched so mafia could quickhammer if they have daychat - which they don't.

One scummer has proposed this:

If by any chance we get a townie voting another townie tomorrow then it's game over, so I will not explore that possibility. In this case we can coordinate in advance for a quick-hammer: if you see me online and you are sure to also remain online for the next 10-15 minutes then make any post in Gojoe, wait for me to also make a post there and then we both vote. Make sure that the townie with the wrong vote is not online.

They said they thought it was probably OK but for me to confirm. To me, this seems EXTREMELY NOT OK, and I replied telling them as much in no uncertain terms.

Any of the dear spectators have thoughts?

adnapemit

Postby adnapemit » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:27 am UTC

Bin Chicken Mafia
Spoiler:
Madge wrote:They said they thought it was probably OK but for me to confirm. To me, this seems EXTREMELY NOT OK, and I replied telling them as much in no uncertain terms.

Any of the dear spectators have thoughts?

Using Gojoe is wrong, I think the same effect could be done in thread. But was there anything else you were not ok with?
Empress adnapemit "Nancy" "Time Panda"
[adnapemit|timepanda]
Does anyone actually read signatures?

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:45 pm UTC

2R1B1B

Spoiler:
Gopher just did a random statement to Heury that bessie was the Sniper, which made Heury confident enough to share cards with me. Which means that I now know my target. :twisted: Just have to help Gopher find out where the reds and blues are to pay him back.
Image <-- Evil experiment

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:52 am UTC

Bin Chicken Mafia
Spoiler:
I never lie about irl stuff, was planning to bus because it wouldn't have mattered, if I've just a minute more I would have done it. Oh well.
Enjoying this immensely, somehow lost my drive during D2 as it dragged on far too long but D3 promises to be splendid.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:53 am UTC

Bin Chicken (non spoily)

If the Ibises have shot the albatross, now they have to worry about the wrath of nature and the twin ships bringing Death and Life-In-Death. Or have I read too much Coleridge…
Image <-- Evil experiment

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:33 am UTC

Bin Chicken Mafia
Spoiler:
I read through the first few posts after day start this morning before I read any spoilers, saw Sabrar's "The breadcrumb was a very smart move but it's ultimately meaningless", and straightaway thought "OK, Sabrar is scum." Then I checked the spoilers - surprise, he's scum! (And I happened to vote for the other scum!)
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:13 am UTC

Bin Chicken Mafia
Spoiler:
I haven't read any spoilers and haven't read anything but D3, and I don't believe Sabrar one bit.

dimochka
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Postby dimochka » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:08 am UTC

Bin Chicken Mafia
Spoiler:
This is what I get for working late...
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

dimochka
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Postby dimochka » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:09 am UTC

Ok guys, please sign up for X-Men mafia. I'd like to start within a week or so.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

bessie

Postby bessie » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:25 am UTC

Bin Chicken Mafia
Spoiler:
Hello Gojoe thread! I’m not playing this game but I’m not reading spoilers either because I’m mentoring LaserGuy, not that he needs it, he’s doing great! I think that mentoring is a brilliant idea to help newbie players, and thank you Madge for coming up with this. Maybe some veteran players that don’t have time to play themselves can volunteer to help out in future games.

So I’m trying very hard to follow the spirit of the mentoring role, and the guidelines given by Madge, and not insert myself or my personal reads into the game. I’m only giving LaserGuy advice on items specifically related to the game when asked, and I’m trying not to influence him if I don’t agree with a read. LaserGuy has never played town before, so I’m trying to help out by analyzing our two previous games together. I’ve shared a lot of my approach to scumhunting, my views on types of reads, and general gameplay. Perhaps too much. I’m probably hosed the next time we’re on opposite teams. But I’ve pretty much accepted that I’m the D1 lynch if I’m ever scum again anyway.

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:
LaserGuy wrote:Also this:
Madge wrote:Bessie has been assigned as a mentor for laserguy
That explains why I read you as so townie. Even when mentoring, bessie still looks super-townie :lol:

Ok this has gone beyond ridiculous. I'm the towniest player in a game I'm not even playing! :shock:

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:07 pm UTC

bessie wrote:Bin Chicken Mafia
Spoiler:
Ok this has gone beyond ridiculous. I'm the towniest player in a game I'm not even playing! :shock:

As above, although there's nothing spoiler-worthy here:
Spoiler:
IIRC LaserGuy was reliably at the solid townie end of people's reads, he may have been the only player not accused of being scum at any point.

Edit:
BoomFrog raised a good point. So disregard that about the spoiler not being spoiler.
BoomFrog wrote:I read somitomi's "spoiler" and although it doesn't have anything significant in it it is still a discussion of the game and so I'd say it should be considered a spoiler and saved until you are reading all spoilers.
Last edited by somitomi on Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:45 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
—◯‐◯ FG Discord

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:11 pm UTC

Are you referring to Bessie's spoiler? Because I assume it is spoiler worthy if Bessie spoilered it.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:13 pm UTC

heuristically_alone wrote:Are you referring to Bessie's spoiler? Because I assume it is spoiler worthy if Bessie spoilered it.
He's referring to his own.
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:21 pm UTC

But quoted Bessie and said "as above", unless he is referring to mpolo's earlier post above.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:28 pm UTC

The "as above" I think referred to the "Bin Chicken Mafia" label.
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:28 pm UTC

flicky1991 wrote:The "as above" I think referred to the "Bin Chicken Mafia" label.

You got it.

heuristically_alone wrote:Are you referring to Bessie's spoiler? Because I assume it is spoiler worthy if Bessie spoilered it.

Flicky was right, the "nothing spoilery here" referred to the following spoiler.
Last edited by somitomi on Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:45 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
—◯‐◯ FG Discord

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:10 pm UTC

Bin Chicken Mafia
Spoiler:
So here is my view of the game:
- I screwed up the N1 kill because I wanted to be sure of it going through so I suggested mpolo who wouldn't be protected by Doc/Jailkeeper for sure. Instead we should have risked getting rid of someone who was considered townie by most people (both flicky and LaserGuy would have been a better choice). We even RB-d jimbob though my reason of why he would be PR was incorrect.
- We got unlucky with the setup as this is the only scenario which can produce 3 mechanically confirmed Townies D2 (except if Doc gets to save someone successfully). Add to this LaserGuy, the towniest town who ever towned and the game was already locked up then and there.
- Therefore D3 (and D4) are a desperate attempt to get heury to choose wrong (jimbob and LaserGuy will never vote for each other). However I can't get dimochka lynched today as that will confirm jimbob being Doc (whom I will have to NK) and it's extremely unlikely that I can get heury to vote LaserGuy instead of me. LaserGuy's analysis here is super-accurate.
- So my only play today is to force an early decision between jimbob and myself before he is confirmed. Even in the likely event that I get lynched dimochka can RB jimbob and kill LaserGuy, and try again to sell the idea of jimbob being my buddy. This should have a bit more chance of working than me vs LaserGuy.
- So as a completely first for me, I'm trying actively to draw attention to myself and get lynched. :)

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:35 am UTC

I read somitomi's "spoiler" and although it doesn't have anything significant in it it is still a discussion of the game and so I'd say it should be considered a spoiler and saved until you are reading all spoilers.

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:41 am UTC

I chose not to read it, because I felt it wouldnbe something like that. Better safe than sorry.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

Madge

Postby Madge » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:01 am UTC

GUYS GUYS THE IBISES ARE ONTO ME!!!

I was minding my own business, walking the dog and this specimen eyed me suspiciously:

!!!!!!

I think they have me under surveillance.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:21 am UTC

Bin Chicken Mafia
Spoiler:
My masterplan of getting lynched is working just as planned (cue Death Note soundtrack). :lol:

Late edit after LaserGuy's vote: come on dimochka, hammer me soon!

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:30 pm UTC

Bin Chicken Mafia:
Spoiler:
Aww, I was just looking at showing how even if Sabrar's logic wasn't faulty as such, it didn't reach the correct conclusion from a "neutral" town point of view.
He is right that lynching me would make the setup crystal clear, but it could also result in a scum victory, so the correct play is to try to get more info by lynching the guaranteed scum. Oh well, let's see how things go now then.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:02 pm UTC

Bin chicken

Spoiler:
Re: End of day hammer.

I don't think this deprives town of information. We have what we need and this just gives scum more opportunity to sow confusion. Basically nothing in D3 that isn t from me or heury can be trusted anyway.

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:03 am UTC

somitomi wrote:(Why do I keep messing this up?)

What are you messing up??? You played really well at the game, and experienced players are CONSTANTLY screwing up in this thread.

I remember once I accidentally started reading a spoiler for a game I was playing in, people have posted quotes instead of spoilers, it's..... an adventure.

In other news thanks guys for hammering Bin Chicken at 2am my local time! (Really, thanks - it's always fun when a game moves quickly and SURPRISE HAMMER is fun!)

I was not expecting to need flavour for a few more days so I hope you enjoy my hastily whipped up flavour that is meant to represent the chaos of the scene.

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:57 am UTC

Apologies to Madge if this was brought up before, but I noticed this in my read through of 2Ra1B

There was a cult game a few years ago where I was town and promised to claim cult if I was ever culted. I didn't get culted in that game (part of my goal iwth the claim TBH) but I was entirely going to stick to it, because if I didn't I'd look mighty suspicious for my entire future life on this forum. As the old joke goes, "you f*** one goat..."

Wouldn't that be against your win condition if you got culted? Or was it a different kind of game? It just seems to be that is an entirely hollow promise, as if you became cult, you could not play against your win condition, and therefore you would break the promise.

I know this goes to why cults are generally frowned upon in these forums (although I like the idea).

Also, I'm glad I can finally get rid of those annoying unread markers!
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:15 am UTC

My meta-strategy in doing that was discouraging cult from culting me, but I'm not sure if that worked or they just had more attractive targets.

In any event, I would definitely intend to do it, and I would have revealed if I was culted. The associated rule issues are one of the reasons I try to avoid playing in games with cults.

If I were to do it again I'd publicly ask the mod whether I could do the "promise to reveal cult status" at the time of making that promise.

I think this was in the halcyon days of yore before the "you must play to your win condition" role was added after someone didn't.

Plus, I believe I promised to only reveal my cult status, rather than dobbing in my compatriots, so I was not dooming myself to a loss if I was culted.

Return to “Mafia”