The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Sabrar

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Sabrar » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:38 pm UTC

Pen Pal:
Spoiler:
If after all that work jimbob still doubts my townieness then he must be terrified of what I'm capable as scum. :D
Or he could be scum himself... (not really)

Edit: my current (entirely unsubstantiated) guess is that moody is the last scum with Redirection as main ability.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:43 pm UTC

Penpal

Spoiler:
Madge wrote:I'm beginning to regret lynching moody,

Except I wanted you dead even before I got lynched and found out you're a SK. I would have been tracking you N3, so either I would have seen you go nowhere, or tracked you to a corpse, which would obviously have been me since you wouldn't want that piece of info out.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:43 am UTC

Pen pals:
Spoiler:
If one of Madge or Sabrar aren't scum, I'll be so confused. I really doubt I'd be both naive and macho.

I'm also considering whether No Lynch tomorrow is a good option, in case neither Madge nor Sabrar is scum.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:48 am UTC

Penpal

Spoiler:
I should be impartial, being mod, but I'm barracking for Madge a little bit - maybe it's an Aussie solidarity thing.
The game seems solved at this point, I'll be stunned if town loses from here.
Still, though...If I were Madge, I'd hope to get Sabrar lynched, and then try to convince jimbob either to vote with me the next day or else hope jimbob pushes for a no lynch. If she can make it to the end of D5, and uses her kill wisely, and everything shakes out really, really well, it'd be her best chance. It's not much of a chance, though.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:36 pm UTC

Pen Pal
Spoiler:
If Madge really is just a Survivor then I guess mpolo is the last scum and jimbob is naive. Of course it will be game over after I get lynched...
But then scum either started with 3 players (which imho is not balanced) or they recruited mpolo N1 (which doesn't make sense) or mpolo is anti-town indie with Watcher as his power which doesn't make sense either.
So it's really jimbob? I have no idea what to think if game continues to D5...

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:40 pm UTC

Penpal

Spoiler:
Seriously if Sabrar and Jimbob are both town I will be amazed.

Looks like I got lynched, sigh. I hope town somehow manages to lose despite all that.

Does anyone have any thoughts for how I could have handled it better? Bulletproof survivor was perhaps not the wisest claim, but at least it was widely believed. Really couldn't figure out who I could possibly kill in the night except a confirmed town.

I did withhold my kill one night which might have done me in, but there were so many powers and stuff I was worried it would come back to me somehow, or my kill would fail. :(
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:14 am UTC

wam wrote:Been a while! Anything vanilla in the pipeline to get back into?

I just put one up.
Image <-- Evil experiment

Madge

Postby Madge » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:48 am UTC

Speaking of non-vanilla things, I am thinking of actually running that survivor ORG I've been toying with for a while.

All the spoilers below are fine for potential players to read. Would love feedback. I would hope for 16-20 players and I might go looking in forum games as well as the survivor subreddit to get the numbers.

General Rules:

Spoiler:
- Everyone plays individually to win, there are no individual powers
- People start out in 2 teams which are potentially swapped once or twice, before finally being combined into one final team

- Format includes 'challenges', where people compete in their teams or individually (after teams are dissolved)
- Due to this being a forum game, the challenges will involve several different skills: for example, drawing, playing flash games, writing stories, as well as things like general knowledge. I have several challenge ideas (shamelessly stolen from other people who have done ORGs). Any challenges that need to be judged (e.g. creative challenges) will be done so anonymously by a third party.

- People are eliminated by being voted out of their tribe (most votes is eliminated) - vote is a secret ballot but you are allowed to 'mark' your ballot if you wish (e.g. if you voted for "Madge *" the vote would be printed in the thread with the *, or if you used a nickname, etc)
- The tribe that loses at the 'challenge' has to vote out a member; when there is only one tribe, the individual who won the challenge still places a vote, but cannot be voted for (they can transfer their immunity to someone else if they want before the votes are cast, but they would become vulnerable).
- Players who are voted out are out of the game permanently. (Unless we need replacements, though in the real game 'medical evacuations' happen from time to time so we can go forward without them quite easily).
- However, once there are 9 players left in the game, the players who are voted out form the 'jury'. When there are only 2 players left, the 7 members of the jury will each have one question they can ask the finalists. Then the jury members vote for their winner, who wins US$1,000,000 bragging rights.

Twists:

Spoiler:
The actual game has "twists", some of which will be used in the ORG. I will set up the twists, their schedule, etc in advance so it will not be manipulated. Here are some example twists that I might use:

- Immunity Idol: An item you can find; if you have it, you can choose to play it after everyone has cast their vote. You can play it on yourself or someone else. Whoever the idol is played for cannot be eliminated, and the person with the second highest votes will be eliminated. It is usually hidden and clues are often provided to hint at its location.

- Tribe Swap: Everyone is randomly (or non-randomly - eg school yard pick) distributed into two new tribes, replacing their existing tribes.

- Extra Vote: You may cast an extra vote, once

- Kidnapping: Your tribe may 'kidnap' someone from the opposing tribe for a few days. They may be given an Idol Clue to distribute to someone on your tribe.

- Double Elimination: You go to tribal council expecting to vote only one person out, but surprise! You are voting out two. This is done in two separate votes.

Logistics (please give me feedback for these?? I'm really not sure about some of this):

Spoiler:
Tribes:
I imagine each tribe would have its own thread that people on the other tribe are not allowed to visit. I'm thinking each thread would have 3 locations: Camp, Beach, and Waterhole. People can move between those locations freely, but can only talk with people who are at the same location. Posts would contain one spoiler for each location, with only text in the location the player is currently located in, so nobody will know where the other people are. (or is this too complicated? I want people to be able to talk in privacy but to also be walked in on)

Changing locations:
Simply have your spoilers say "leaving <location>" and "entering <location>" in the appropriate location. You will then be given a list of everyone in the location by either the moderator or another player.

Searching for idols:
If you are the only person at a location, you can search for the idol. The idol (if it exists) will be hidden at one of the 3 locations, and each searcher would have some chance (say, 10%) of finding it each time they write 'search for the idol'.

Challenges:
In most cases, challenges will be conducted in a third thread. You are not allowed to communicate with people on the opposing tribe in these threads, unless you can figure out a way to be sneaky about it.

Confessionals:
For this game, posting in gojoe will be forbidden. Instead, at least once every elimination cycle, the player should post a spoiler that says 'confessional' explaining their motivations (e.g. "I told Madge I was going to vote with her, but I'm really planning on voting her out with Vytron and his alliance".).
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

SirGabriel

Postby SirGabriel » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:23 pm UTC

Madge wrote:Penpal

Spoiler:
Seriously if Sabrar and Jimbob are both town I will be amazed.

Looks like I got lynched, sigh. I hope town somehow manages to lose despite all that.

Does anyone have any thoughts for how I could have handled it better? Bulletproof survivor was perhaps not the wisest claim, but at least it was widely believed. Really couldn't figure out who I could possibly kill in the night except a confirmed town.

I did withhold my kill one night which might have done me in, but there were so many powers and stuff I was worried it would come back to me somehow, or my kill would fail. :(

@Madge
Spoiler:
Survivor claim seems like a good choice. Since you actually were bulletproof, it might have been better to claim unlynchable (2-shot if your partner is alive, 1-shot if he's dead), if you think people would accept the idea of an unlynchable survivor. Or another option which might be more believable would be to claim one shot kill immunity (immune to whichever of the lynch/nightkill targets you first) as long as your penpal is alive, which turns into one shot bulletproof when your pen pal dies.

dimochka
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Postby dimochka » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:41 pm UTC

Previously Undetermined Vanilla Variant [PUVV]
Spoiler:
I'm as vanilla as vanilla can be.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:00 pm UTC

Undetermined

Spoiler:
So this time I'm scum with Sabrar. Interestingly, he and I may have gotten our role PMs first a la Hangafia, which is why I was waiting so long to confirm.

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:50 am UTC

PUVV
Spoiler:
So, we're in A-D somewhere and I'm sane. Both useful bits of info for later.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:48 am UTC

PUVV
Spoiler:
And I'm scum once again. Hopefully moody is Roleblocker or there is no Cop, otherwise this will be hard.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:13 am UTC

FAC966:
Spoiler:
I am so mad at myself, all I can do is watch the deadline tick closer and know that town is about to mislynch their cop on D1 because I played poorly.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:14 am UTC

FAC668
Spoiler:
@Carlington: I honestly didn't expect others to find you scummy as well, but this way is just much easier. I find it very hard to pretend to genuinely scum-hunt as Mafia when there are 2 townie-wagons so I feel it's safer not to jump around too much.

adnapemit

Postby adnapemit » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:50 am UTC

FAC668
Spoiler:
mpolo wrote:You realize what that means? Time-travelling panda mafia godfather!!"
I am The Doctor.
*makes TARDIS noises*

Ok I'm a doctor and hopefully I don't get night killed.
Empress adnapemit "Nancy" "Time Panda"
[adnapemit|timepanda]
Does anyone actually read signatures?

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:54 am UTC

FAC668
Spoiler:
Dying may have been worth it for that death flavour.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:21 pm UTC

FAC668:
Spoiler:
Not been following along too closely, but have avoided looking at spoilers. Currently, I'm guessing a little, but gut says that Carlington isn't scum. My current guess is that SirG is scum, though I don't know who his scum buddy would be. Maybe flicky, who he decided to bus, but I don't really have a good idea. SirG's flip on opinion on Carlington was surprising (from slightly townie to scummiest when at least two others were scummier in his main reads post), and I'm looking at him suspiciously because of that.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:18 pm UTC

FAC668 @Mpolo
Spoiler:
is it possible to not have the day end on a weekend? I'm fine with a shorter or longer day, but that caught me off guard...

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:08 am UTC

FAC668
Spoiler:
Wow, we got extremely lucky there. I made up several plans on how to fake-claim Cop, never considered the possibility that Carlington wouldn't claim a PR to avoid his lynch, never suspected him being one either.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:54 am UTC

FAC668:
Spoiler:
Well, so much for that idea. I'm amazed scum actually killed SirG, given that flip of opinion. As for why Carlington wouldn't claim, I have no idea, but presumably he hoped to be able to persuade people without claiming, as otherwise he was obvious kill target.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:53 pm UTC

FAC668

Spoiler:
So, cop got lynched. No egg on my face since I was still voting for flicky end of D1. We finish up a mislynch of flicky today, and we're golden.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:47 pm UTC

FAC668
Spoiler:
I've made an honest misread when looking at matt's comment at the beginning of D2 but my latest reaction to his defense was done hastily and is far from perfect. I might be in trouble if they notice it.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:22 am UTC

FAC668
Spoiler:
Well that was fun (though stressful). I find that I enjoy being townie more but I've been scum 4 out of 9 games which is way over proportion.
Probably killing adnapemit or dimochka tonight. D3 should be interesting. :D

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:15 am UTC

FAC668
Spoiler:
So worst possible setup, get lucky twice in a row...
I didn't think we would have a Doctor, adnapemit was a compromise as I wanted to kill dimochka, moody wanted SDK but we both argued against the other's choice.

adnapemit

Postby adnapemit » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:10 am UTC

FAC668
Spoiler:
Sabrar alive day 3! They HAVE to lynch him now!
I also don't think I could have been more wrong this game.
I even protected both scum. :P
[adnapemit|timepanda]

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:08 am UTC

FAC668
Spoiler:
If the scum team isn't sabrar and moody, i'll be really surprised. I'm just having a tough time phrasing it, but way too many connections between them. Though I'm pretty sure we lost this regardless.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:40 am UTC

FAC668
Spoiler:
Man, getting that last mislynch is hard as hell.
Still can't believe how lucky we got D1, if Carlington claims Cop it would have been an easy win for Town (of course he couldn't have known that).

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:51 am UTC

FAC668
Spoiler:
Time-zone differences suck. SDK and dimochka disappeared yesterday and there's nothing to react to. I fear they will discuss things tonight while I'm asleep and can't defend myself.
Next game I'm scum I will only NK players outside of Europe. :lol:

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:09 am UTC

FAC668:
Spoiler:
So, I've recovered from my embarrassment enough now to explain myself. I forgot that I had to claim. I thought that I already had done so, in my panic, and so didn't.
On the other hand, go team! Lynch Sabrar! Listen to dimka! If you all manage to snatch back the victory here after such a rough start (I am so sorry) I will be so proud of you all!

bessie

Postby bessie » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:13 am UTC

FAC668

Spoiler:
Following along and not reading spoilers...

If Sabrar's town I will be very surprised. Can't decide on his scum partner though. Current pick is Madge.

kalira

Postby kalira » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:51 am UTC

FAC668 @Carlington:

Spoiler:
Dishonor! Dishonor on you, dishonor on your family, dishonor on your cow! J/k though :) I'm sure it was probably a lot less confusing why people weren't leaving your train once you realized you actually hadn't claimed, but yeah, that kinda sucks :/ Just... uhh... tell them all that you had a "You are not allowed to claim your role" line in your PM... Yeah, that'll work. <shifty eyes> Nobody ever reads spoilers after a game, so they'll never know. :mrgreen:

FAC668:
Spoiler:
I have come to the conclusion that I just have no real ability to scum hunt, lol. I get so confused. I am surprised more (town)people aren't glomming on to the fact that moody for at least part of this game seems to have been in the "I'm here and reading, but posting nothing unless people ask me to, and then just barely anything" flavor of active lurk. (Specifically thinking abt when someone asked him to post reads on scum pairs or something, and he literally just posted a list with nothing else. Though I'm going from memory here, and it's possible I missed something bc I'm not doing a deep dive on the game.) Madge also somewhat guilty here, though, so I can see why the others aren't sure between the two of them.

I don't know how folks like Sabrar can just post so much "stuff" every day. Craziness.
plytho wrote:Isn't bowling just a subcategory of pottery?

adnapemit

Postby adnapemit » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:53 am UTC

FAC668
Spoiler:
Scum Sabrar wrote:Now LYLO theory 101 says that I must vote for you in this situation. Will probably do so but want to think about it first

My fear is this is going to end with scum winning because the votes are tied may become a reality
[adnapemit|timepanda]

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:07 am UTC

FAC668
Spoiler:
Could have won if moody sticks to the plan and votes for SDK. Would have been a cheap win, exploiting tie-breaker rules and Madge's sickness. Might be better this way.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:12 am UTC

Would there be interest in trying out some unusual roles? I was thinking about how most of the latest games had very similar setups with all the basic roles (Cop, Doctor, Tracker, etc) and thought about modding a game where the roles are different than what people are used to.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:17 am UTC

I'm always up for unusual role-games. They do make things a little different. I'd been considering something like that for my next Wheel of Time game, if I ever get around to planning it.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

SDK

Postby SDK » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:15 pm UTC

FAC668
Spoiler:
Good, the game's not over. Thanks, gut!

Finding the buddy shouldn't be too hard now... Right? It's probably Madge, but maybe moody... Okay, not so easy. :P
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:21 pm UTC

FAC668

Spoiler:
Well, since there is a night three, people already know that Sabrar is scum. My dilemma now, who to kill:

Madge: probably not as she is leaning towards voting dimochka and is also still possible scum to dim and SDK, so she lives.
dimochka: suspects me greatly, so his death and flip would likely give credence to his accusation, no chance of it looking like a frame job since scum!dim couldn't kill himself, so he lives.
SDK: good player, and has the added danger that he's seen me at LYLO previously. If he were to start comparing this game to deathy, I lose since I was scum there to. Looks like SDK dies.

I'll let it drift closer to the night deadline before pulling the trigger.

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:03 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:Would there be interest in trying out some unusual roles? I was thinking about how most of the latest games had very similar setups with all the basic roles (Cop, Doctor, Tracker, etc) and thought about modding a game where the roles are different than what people are used to.

Yeah. The more power roles / weird roles there are, the more I enjoy the game.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:07 pm UTC

dimochka wrote:
Sabrar wrote:Would there be interest in trying out some unusual roles? I was thinking about how most of the latest games had very similar setups with all the basic roles (Cop, Doctor, Tracker, etc) and thought about modding a game where the roles are different than what people are used to.

Yeah. The more power roles / weird roles there are, the more I enjoy the game.

I agree. I only started the vanilla because it was being asked for. :)
Image <-- Evil experiment

Return to “Mafia”