The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

dimochka
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby dimochka » Fri May 27, 2016 11:26 pm UTC

I prefer bullet hell, but would play pen pals as well.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Mon May 30, 2016 6:34 pm UTC

Pen Pal
Spoiler:
I'm Town and a Cop (finally a role with an active ability).
As long as Madge (my Pen Pal) is alive I can investigate 2 players on even numbered nights.
Immediate concerns:
- no role is guaranteed to be sane. I'm not sure how I feel about that, personally I consider an unknowingly not-sane cop to be a bastardly role but I've learnt that I have different criteria in that regard from the rest.
- assuming I'm sane best time to claim would be D3 with hopefully 3 results (or possibly 2 results plus 1 on a dead player confirming sanity), on the other hand I never seem to live that long...

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon May 30, 2016 8:22 pm UTC

Pen Pals:
Spoiler:
I'm Town, a Macho Cop (cop, but cannot benefit from any form of protection). My pen pal bonus ability allows me to vig kill on even numbered nights (but not if I cop), if I can keep my partner, flicky, alive. A new player as a partner will make things interesting... On the plus side, I can clear them as Town N1, should I choose to do so, though then brutally murdering them N2 if they are scum seems a little harsh...! Bonus point is that a new player is likely to have shiny D1 immunity to anything bad, so as long as I don't get accidentally mislynched (or likely killed N1), I can get a vig shot off N2. If I wish to. Which I'm not sure I'll want to :/
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon May 30, 2016 11:04 pm UTC

Pen Pals

Spoiler:
oh god I'm SK and I've had a scummy meta lately let's watch me die die die D:

what do i fake claim helpp
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Mon May 30, 2016 11:27 pm UTC

Pen Pals
Spoiler:
Town, night chat with moody. Every night I can give one person a gun (one-shot vig) to use on subsequent nights, and while moody is alive I can make the gun malfunction (kill themselves) without them knowing. Interesting, and I wonder if Snark did it on purpose because I preferred to play bullet hell :D

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Tue May 31, 2016 4:35 am UTC

Pen Pals

Spoiler:
I am a town insomniac. I get info on who visited me, and if my penpal is alive, I can target to watch someone else rather than myself.

Penpal is Djehutynakht.
Image <-- Evil experiment

Thingyman

Postby Thingyman » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:52 pm UTC

Hi guys

You may already be up to date on this, but I thought I'd pop in with new information about your representative.

They have been been scheduled for the game below.

Game 7 - June 6 (72/24 phases, American deadlines)
Azrael (MTG Salvation)
Cobalt (Gay Teen Forum)
Colby11 (The Giraffe Boards)
fdas (Art of Problem Solving)
GGG (Calgarypuck Forums)
Gorf (Smashboards)
heuristically_alone (xkcd)
Kennigit (CivFanatics)
Khris Kruel (Something Awful)
Leelou (JetNation)
Legato Endless (Giant in the Playground)
MightySpeck (Warlight)
Newcomb (Dark Lord Potter)
SilverKeith (MafiaLandia)
Stanari (Flight Rising)
tmofer.mashiro (Kaskus)
yogsloth (GOG)

The game is taking place on Mafia Universe. You can find the specific subforum dedicated to the championship here: http://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/for ... nship-2016

I want to talk about and spectate the game - what do I do?

If you wish to actively spectate and show support for your representative, then there are two ways of doing this.

1) There will be a private spectator thread on the site for each game that you may request access to. Simply register on the site and PM the user "Thingyman", and I will add you. Feel free to spectate games that your representative isn't in as well. These threads are published after the game completes.

2) We have a spectator chat on Skype, with currently more than 200 people in it. It's very active and fun, I highly suggest you join it if you have Skype. It's way more active than the on-site ones. Just add me: thingyman.

None of these two chats/threads will be spoiled!

Finally, we kindly ask that you refrain from commenting too much on the games in public on this forum, as the other representatives will easily be able to find and read through this (as has happened in the past). I can't control what you do here, but out of respect for the integrity of this Championship, it's best if you don't discuss your reads on your representative or the other players or make comments that could potentially indicate your reads. I.e. even something like "oh man, our representative is totally being his usual self right now" is not good. Speaking very generally about what has happened so far in the game (so as to update your fellow community members) without commenting on it is fine though.

I hope this doesn't seem too strict to you guys, but the game can become very uncomfortable (and unfair) if there is discussion about it outside of the game thread. If you want to have your own private spectator chat, that is of course also totally fine and I even encourage it (I'd love to be added if you make one of these) :)

I wish your representative and your community all the best of luck for this season! :)

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:19 pm UTC

PenPal
Spoiler:
*grumbles* I hope they don't lynch their Doctor (which can't save scum whilst her penpal is still alive*) tonight. Hopefully, someone will cop me and not be blocked/killed/redirected, because I already feel like a D2 lynch candidate.

Also, had a message from my penpal today which got deleted. I'm becoming more suspicious of them now.).

Anyway, now I need to decide who would be a likely NK target. I'll probably choose jimbob/Sabrar, or one of my other townier reads, as those two always seem townie. Then again, maybe one of the scummier players should be picked, to protect them from a potential vig (probably not this one, though).

*so there are definitely multiple kills; this is what I alluded to on p1

"Therefore it is in the interests not only of public safety but also public sanity if the buttered toast on cats idea is scrapped, to be replaced by a monorail powered by cats smeared with chicken tikka masala floating above a rail made from white shag pile carpet."

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:05 pm UTC

Penpal
Spoiler:
I think I somehow actually feel bad for both DJ and Emlightened and they might be frustrated townies after all. The problem is I want to give madge a chance to respond but I think she's asleep now (timezone). But one of those three almost for sure.

Edit, still Penpal
Spoiler:
DAMNIT i was going to vote and post. Frustrating.

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:03 am UTC

Penpal

Spoiler:
Kind of sad that me and Dj's little gambit didn't get play due to the deadline, but oh well!

thank FUCK I'm still alive. It must suck for DJ to die like that.

Glad that I'm still alive. Killing jimbob tonight. I figure people don't look that much into kills so I'll target people who target me. Especially because I've claimed to use an RNG on my targets before.

I'm an odd night SK, but I get to do evens while my penpal is alive. I'm just going to do odds though because I don't want my penpal's death to put me under suspicion if I stop killing on even nights afterwards.

NFI what to fakeclaim. I'm considering cop but there has to be one of those out there, but I will softclaim just in case.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:09 am UTC

Penpal

Spoiler:
So, couple of points for the peanut gallery:
:arrow: I am a tracker, and sent in my N1 target of emlightend, seeing as she was a person of interest late in the day
:arrow: My bonus for my penpal being alive is that I get a second track even numbered nights. With the size of the game, that most likely means N2 only, so meh.
:arrow: My pen pal is dimchka, who has said his situation vis a vis pen pal bonus would let him be less than mournful if yours truly shuffled off the mortal coil. :?

More later, if I get to D2.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:53 am UTC

Pen Pal:

Spoiler:
I'm pretty annoyed about that death. The random death part was annoying; ending at a random non-round number time was even more frustrating... despite it being the technical rule I think a lot of people didn't see it coming.

And finally I'm just annoyed about Day 1's in general. This is getting to be a repetitive thing. When do I get meta cred so it stops?

But fine, I was mafia (with Carlington). Role cop.

My Pen Pal was Mpolo. So long as he was alive I was both immune and invisible to night actions (...)

Mostly I'm going to miss the exchange of letters. We didn't have many, but they were fun.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:13 am UTC

Penpal
Spoiler:
Hardmode: Enabled
I wonder if I can win from here. I'm pretty cut up about losing Djehutynakht like that, and I bet he is, too. He can't have been happy about that deadline ruling.
Alright, I guess I'd better keep penpal emlightened alive to hang on to my godfather ability, and try to use my Roleblock well.
For the record, for those playing at home, I'm Dj's scummate, and emlightened and I are penpals. I'm a Roleblocker and as long as emlightened is alive I'm a godfather too.
I have a sneaky plan, later on, to try and fish out whether emlightened is an indie (I think she is). If she is, and she'll work with me, that's incredibly helpful. If not, I can kill her, and deal with the loss of my godfather ability, which is why it's a plan for later.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:43 am UTC

Pen Pal:
Spoiler:
Unfortunate timing with the deadline, would have been great to be awake. I feel like my desire to keep Madge alive influenced my decisions too much but I really didn't want to mislynch her D1 again. I continue to suck at reading people, Dj was probably Town. Submitted investigation for emlightened but I have serious concerns. Her outbursts seem honest to me but even if I receive TOWN as a result on her I'm gonna be second-guessing myself because of potential Godfather. Who thought being a Cop could be this hard? :roll:

On another note I hate the night-time. So boring with nothing to do...

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:08 am UTC

Pen Pals:

Spoiler:
I hope Carlington kills them all.

I respect Madge's SK-ness. I was... not expecting that. In all honesty I was hoping that my pact with Madge would have been successful. Oh well.

Someone lynch the mod for these deadline/lynch rules.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:43 am UTC

Pen Pals:
Spoiler:
I feel bad for DJ (if he's town). Basically the same thing happened in Shakespeare where he would have gotten lynched due to lack of early content, if it hadn't been for my double vote. Nothing he said particularly struck me as scum.

I'm going to cop flicky tonight, as planned. If I get town, I'll assume it's true, and can start sharing results with him.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:50 pm UTC

Pen Pal
Spoiler:
Turns out I didn't need to worry about the result of my investigation, as I was roleblocked last night (possibly Jailed, due to no death). However I was also given a one shot gun to be used later (forgoing my normal Cop action). Obviously very happy with how the lynch and N1 turned out overall.

Edit: emlightened could also be immune to night actions but it seems unlikely that there are 2 such roles in the game.
Edit2: there probably isn't a Godfather in the game as then a Cop who can't identify any of the mafia would be pretty useless.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:09 pm UTC

Pen Pals (...):

Spoiler:
It's very, very frustrating to have essentially the whole day's conversation focused on you (my notifications just keep pinging...) and not being able to reply to any of it.

Madge got a really, really lucky break.

Sabrar wrote:
Djehutynakht wrote:Also, to restate, I don't believe that quiet D1 = scum. In my experience it's been a totally false stereotype that just as often as not particularly talkative scum have utilized to get an easy mislynch D1.

Also, megalol.

Actually, I stand by that. I've been saying it for months.

wam

Postby wam » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:52 pm UTC

Been a while! Anything vanilla in the pipeline to get back into?
Come join us playing mafia signup here

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:02 am UTC

Pen Pal
Spoiler:
Just read Carlington's read list, pretty convinced that he's Dj's scum-buddy.

Edit: or maybe not. His response looks townie.

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:47 pm UTC

pen pal
Spoiler:
just tried to hint to sabrar that i gave him a gun. let's see if he figures it out.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:07 am UTC

Pen Pal
Spoiler:
So I purposefully didn't comment so far about me dying tonight, hoping that scum would maybe think that I'm Bulletproof. However now that I'm looking into jimbob it struck me as odd that he would state that I'm the likely target tonight, despite the smiley. It could be an attempt to influence Doctor to protect me so that he can kill someone else more easily.
Or maybe I'm just reading too much into it as always.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:39 pm UTC

Pen Pal
Spoiler:
So just stirred up the hornet's nest (hopefully). Currently wanting to vote for jimbob.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:52 pm UTC

Penpal

Spoiler:
So, night 2 coming up tomorrow morning, and I get two targets to track. Thinking mpolo and dimochka as they are the most odd seeming to me. Hope to make it to D3 with something to show.

Kolchak is watching you.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:18 am UTC

Penpal:

Spoiler:
Whelp, this sucks. Pull it together, Carlington!

The struggles when the Mod pairs up two people who are regularly under suspicion to be the mafia team.

Anyways, all else failing, I'm rooting for Madge.

mpolo wrote:For me, in retrospect, DJ's big tell was pushing scum-scum pairings in thread, but pushing town-scum pairings in PMs. Guilty conscience, much?

Actually, no. I was rejecting scum-scum pairing both in-thread and in our PMs.

I hate that I can't defend myself...

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:07 am UTC

Getting a notification for being quoted in Gojoe is pretty annoying…
Image <-- Evil experiment

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:48 pm UTC

Pen pals:
Spoiler:
I was in a real dilemma there. If I claimed, I would likely have died tonight, if odds went my way, as I didn't expect it to make people change their mind at the late stage. This way around, if random.org went my way, I'd likely get another night of results, and a chance to claim tomorrow, when things weren't so rushed, which would be more likely to be believed.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Snark

Postby Snark » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:55 pm UTC

Pen Pals:
Spoiler:
Well, mafia lost two coin flips. Stinks for them. No one, mafia or town alike, seems to be paying much attention to the deadline despite 7 days feeling like plenty long enough to me. And no one's been requesting extentions despite tied or near-tied votals. Not really sure what I'm supposed to do about that.

I wonder if tied votals leading to an automatic deadline extension for 24 hours could work. And the day doesn't end til the tie breaks or until the votes are exactly the same after 24 hours from an extenstion. Problem is that making the votals tied might be in some player's interest somehow. I don't think removing it would hurt the game.

Thoughts?
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:06 pm UTC

Pen Pal
Spoiler:
If jimbob is really Town then scum will suspect that I'm not Bulletproof so I might die once again. Or get jailed one more time in which case I at least will survive N2 but might be Vanilla for all purposes... For the record I'm investigating jimbob and emlightened tonight.

Edit: and now I have an irrational fear of dying tonight because jimbob might be PGO in which case his claim was terrible as he should be aware that Cop or Tracker would likely investigate him and by softclaiming Bulletproof scum would avoid him. So I really don't think that this is the case but with my first D3 so close I get very paranoid.

Did I mention that I hate waiting 3 days with nothing to do just to know the outcome?

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:46 pm UTC

Pen pals:
Spoiler:
Well, I'm really glad that that lynch fell on Carlington, not, jimbob.

Carlington's my pen-pal, and jimbob is the person I target last night. I'm a doctor, and whilst my pen-pal is still alive, I can't save scum. As it's more likely that one of the towniest D1 players was targeted and there were two NKs that didn't collide, I'm pretty sure jimbob's town.

Also, Carlington deleted a PM to me, which did seem quite scummy.

Edit: And now I'm super-curious why jimbob doesn't want protective roles targeting him tonight and am wondering if I should be so glad.

"Therefore it is in the interests not only of public safety but also public sanity if the buttered toast on cats idea is scrapped, to be replaced by a monorail powered by cats smeared with chicken tikka masala floating above a rail made from white shag pile carpet."

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:44 pm UTC

Pen Pals:

Spoiler:
Well, I'm pretty annoyed now. Carlington and I were both eliminated by random chance.

Snark, Id be in favor of the new rules you had in mind, or really anything that eliminates random chance in deciding the outcome (I really wasn't a fan of mpolo's 'in case of tie the one voted on most recently dies' either).

I remember once I was going to incorporate a random generator into one of my games for something, but my comod made a convincing argument against it. I forget who, but the principle has stuck with me.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:42 pm UTC

Pen Pal
Spoiler:
We did it boys!

Both emlightened and jimbob are Town according to my result, so unless my action is completely useless (GF+total immunity to night actions+third whatever) we should have a pretty good Town-block for the endgame should it come to that (we 3 + Doctor + whoever gave me the gun).
I still suck though at reading people and guessing the setup. Really should stop doing the latter.

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:50 pm UTC

Pen Pal
Spoiler:
I bet if I had been mafia with that power and sabotaged every gun, it would have been so much more fun! Oh well :D

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:07 am UTC

Penpal:
Spoiler:
@Snark:
If I targeted jimbob for the kill on N1, and jimbob cannot benefit from any sort of protection, even if emlightened saved him he should have died, shouldn't he?
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Madge

Postby Madge » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:41 am UTC

Penpal

Spoiler:
I am going to be lynched, this is the worst. >_<

Survivor claim is really the only safe way to claim at this point. I'm thinking of going the full SDK and completely withholding my kill, but if I can get moody lynched instead of me I will be using it (but not on mpolo) - probably on my penpal Sabrar (though I kind of want to keep my even night kill as a trump card because it might let me win)

I did consider a fake cop claim and even put some hints to Sabrar... who turns out to be a cop so good thing I didn't pull through on that

One of jimbob and Sabrar has to be scum IMO.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:36 am UTC

Pen Pal
Spoiler:
Game should be solved unless Snark's interpretation of 'no bastardry' is wildly different from mine. BTW I guess jimbob's penpal is flicky because if he really revealed himself D2 then his penpal would never vote for him, eliminating 4 players out of the 6 remaining and dimochka would have given the gun to confirmed town!jimbob instead of emlightened if he were his penpal.

Edit: it's funny how we're trying to lynch each other with Madge.

Madge

Postby Madge » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:51 am UTC

Pen Pal

Spoiler:
Given my role I find it hard to believe we have another scum still alive but I am believing my own argument here, something is really screwy with the two cops, one who has a town result on the other.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:00 pm UTC

Pen Pal
Spoiler:
If jimbob is the last scum and he is also GF then a) he played it really well and b) I will be really upset. Or he could be Redirector, guessing that I was Cop and making me investigate someone else instead. But then why was there no kill both N1 and N2? Did they try to kill Madge N1? If so why would they try again N2 or why would they redirect me if they plan to kill me anyway? This doesn't make any sense.

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:35 am UTC

Pen Pal
Spoiler:
I'm pretty sure we still have a mafia member left. Possibly something like a mafia goon that is a back-up, and now has a kill. I would totally not put it past Snark to put that in.

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:36 am UTC

Pen Pal

Spoiler:
I'm pretty sure I'm going to lose, but at least I somehow managed to convince Sabrar that I was survivor and to try to help me out.

I feel rather bad about the whole thing. I'm hoping we don't lynch flicky today as I want to get my NK done tonight, though I'm not sure it's a good idea with a potential tracker on the loose and all.

Return to “Mafia”