The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Carlington

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Carlington » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:03 pm UTC

Wheel of Time
Spoiler:
To lynch emlightened is not necessarily a loss. If I understand the rules and my role correctly, 2 vs 2 tomorrow should lead to a perfect tie in the votals which is a No Lynch. If scum then targets me for the NK, there's a 1/6 chance it will backfire leading to 2 vs 1 in town's favour the next day, and a 1/3 chance of the kill failing and me learning the name of a mafioso besides. That's 50/50 odds that the NK fails if I'm the target. Obviously this is not ideal for town, but it's not a loss outright.

Somewhat hilariously, if I'm calculating right, it's possible to end up with me alone against one mafioso. In that case, the mods would basically just roll a die until they got (wolog) a 1, 2, 3, or 6.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:26 am UTC

Wheel of Time
Spoiler:
Made my gambit, left out my daykill as an insurance against scum!Carlington but I'm ~95% sure that I got it right. If Chane would participate the plan would be almost 100% fool-proof with her protection. Would be frustrating to lose because of this.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:36 pm UTC

Wheel of Time:
Spoiler:
If Sabrar is telling the truth, so much the better. If Sabrar is bluffing, I will call it to the hilt.

Does it still count as lying town if it's only lying by omission? I don't want anyone to know I really have the dagger, after all. I don't trust emlightened/Madge as an indie that much.

Of course, this would never work if Chane were still active. I have no doubt she'd already have claimed not having the dagger, which would put Sabrar in hot water. Of course, having the dagger gives me an extra failsafe. If Madge claims to have taken the dagger to try and frame cf, I can call her on it and fullclaim.

I think I have all the bases covered as well as I can. If we mislynch it's of course a disaster and probably Sabrar and one of cf/Chane is scum. At that point we just have to hope Madge picks town. I can maybe offer the dagger in exchange. If we follow my plan, and kalira is scum, I think we'll win it. In any case, if I'm right, then town probably wins.

(I say probably...I have almost no doubt that there's some shenanigans that I am blissfully unaware of that will ruin the whole thing. Such is mafia.)

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:04 pm UTC

Wheel of Time
Spoiler:
For some reason I'm getting scummy vibes from Carlington. I keep thinking what if he's bessie's partner? But there needs to be an explanation for the second death on N1 and I'm not seeing anything else.
I hope scum have a Roleblocker because then they will assume that they can block me N3 and won't kill me N2, allowing my daykill to get rid of them.

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:43 pm UTC

Wheel of Time

Spoiler:
Ugh, I hate not having anyone in the game right now that I can really trust. Probably going to go along with Sabrar because I don't think kalira or bessie will claim anything to make me think otherwise.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:33 pm UTC

Wheel of Time
Spoiler:
I just realized that if Madge gets daykill from the dagger instead of NK then we're screwed. Oh well, probably too late to change plans and it's unlikely anyway.

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:58 am UTC

Wheel of Tiem

Spoiler:
Gotta admit my full, detailed claim was partially because I figured it would be interesting and exciting to put this information out there, and I like adding interestingness and excitement to games.

The fact it seems to have possibly worked out for me (we'll see tonight I suppose) is a bonus.

I think I like having a policy of being fairly open, though I wonder how much of it is because I replaced in so I'm not exactly super attached to my role.

I hope we can screw around in the edges of the win conditions and make it so as many of us win as possible. That's what I was hoping for by claiming, I figured they'd let me find the dagger and live.

I'm scared finding the dagger will make me a SK - which is very bad - but I really have no other choice than to look for it.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:59 pm UTC

Wheel of Time
Spoiler:
So I'll definitely die tonight. :( At least I've managed to convince crucialityfactor, although I'm not sure I like the reason. Using flavor in role-pm seems a cheap way but it's not against the rules and I really didn't think so far as to consider the possibility of Lan's pm also including that bit about training me. I was hoping to persuade cf through sheer logic alone and was getting a bit frustrated when he so easily discarded my role.
Let's hope bessie has Roleblock...

Thingyman

Postby Thingyman » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:47 pm UTC

Hi guys

Some of you might remember me, some of you might not. I'm the guy who pops in once a year to invite you guys to the Mafia Championship :P

It's now time for Season 3, and this season will feature 136 communities.

I wanted to ask you guys if you'd be interested in participating once more.

Here's more info on this season: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rTX ... BQjic/edit

If you guys would be interested, could you let me know sometime in the next 5 days? Sorry for the rushed deadline, I just want to make sure that I can lock down a spot for you guys, since otherwise I'd need to find another community :)

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:09 pm UTC

Wheel of Time
Spoiler:
Darn. Mod-killing Chane makes perfect sense, but if I die tonight Town might still lose if Madge becomes an SK as they lose the numerical advantage.
However this completely throws a wrench into the whole 'will Madge get the dagger' plan. I hope everyone will realize the implications, as this should theoretically mean that cf needs to watch me again as the major target for the NK, meaning that scum can't afford to kill me (unless they're Ninja or Roleblocker) as Watcher would reveal their identity and cf is confirmed Town. Also Madge is only ~33% to get the dagger now (obviously I won't have it).
Now I'm hoping that bessie doesn't have roleblock. :)
Still she might keep me alive because if she kills me she'll be definitely lynched but if she kills cf she might have a chance from her pov to convince me that Carlington is the other scum (as I set it up earlier).

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:47 am UTC

Wheel of Time:
Spoiler:
It's not looking too good for scum at the moment, but bessie could still come out on top, if she uses her night actions correctly.

Crucialityfactor has already submitted to watch Sabrar. Bessie has to kill Sabrar, or the game will end with her death at his hands. However, with careful use of her redirection ability she could sow all sorts of confusion. The best two options I can think of is for her to redirect crucialityfactor to Madge, where he won't get a result, or to redirect Madge to Sabrar. The latter would give a 50% chance for cf to see Madge, which would allow for bessie to redirect the lynch wagon onto Madge and then win. A no visit result on Madge for cf might imply a delayed kill and again Madge would be in the spotlight.

Meanwhile, Madge has made the mistake of listening to Sabrar too much and targeted Chane to steal the dagger, which means she'll be relying on Sabrar's death and her own survival tomorrow to win.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:59 am UTC

Wheel of time

Spoiler:
still lots of Ifs here. If we lynched right, it I was right to change my action last minute, if we don't have an SK. Town may still win.

bessie

Postby bessie » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:29 pm UTC

Thingyman wrote:Hi guys

Some of you might remember me, some of you might not. I'm the guy who pops in once a year to invite you guys to the Mafia Championship :P

Here's more info on this season: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rTX ... BQjic/edit

If you guys would be interested, could you let me know sometime in the next 5 days? Sorry for the rushed deadline, I just want to make sure that I can lock down a spot for you guys, since otherwise I'd need to find another community :)

Hi again Thingyman. Thanks for the invite.

Do any of our fine mafia players have time to participate in this event? We were represented two years ago by Lawrencelot, and last year by Vytron.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:32 pm UTC

Wheel of Time
Spoiler:
Seriously? I assume bessie redirected cf to Carlington successfully and cf got killed because of it (I was killed by bessie). That's why I hate random abilities... :(

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:36 pm UTC

As much as I'd like to, I don't think I've got the time for this. Sorry. However, please somebody sign up!
BlitzGirl the Primordial

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:40 pm UTC

Wheel of Time (@Sabrar):
Spoiler:
Unfortunately, that's what happened, yes. I blame random.org... I did reroll the value multiple times to make sure that other numbers did come up, but they did, and so I had to accept the first number. I must say that it's unfortunate that 2 town kills on a 1 in 6 chance on each happened. Still, there's a reasonable chance for a town win, but it's largely up to Madge, I suspect.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:43 pm UTC

Wheel of Time (@jimbob)
Spoiler:
Does bessie's ability target both players or just the one who she wants to redirect?

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:55 pm UTC

Wheel of Time (@Sabrar):
Spoiler:
I ruled it as just the person she is redirecting, since it makes more sense flavour-wise (she is using Compulsion on the target).
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:05 pm UTC

Wheel of Time
Spoiler:
Thanks for the answers.
Oh well, still should be winning this. Assuming Madge didn't get the dagger she can't afford to lynch Carlington as bessie then just kills her. On the other hand if they lynch bessie then game is over with Madge also winning.
Carlington just needs to convince her that bessie is the remaining scum. Fmpov this is so self-evident there shouldn't be any doubt but then I also thought that I would have much less trouble convincing cf+Carlington about me being Rand.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:33 pm UTC

Wheel of Time (@Sabrar):
Spoiler:
Of course, Madge could ruin town's day and side with bessie. She would win that way as being a survivor and you being dead. Basically, Madge wins as long as Carlington and bessie don't lynch her. Even that would not guarantee a scum victory though, because bessie isn't guaranteed to kill Carlington. It could be a rather frustrating case of me rolling dice until she succeeds or gets killed.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:01 pm UTC

Madge wrote:I've been wanting to try running a survivor ORG on this forum, but I'd pretty much want to know I had a good chance at getting at least 14, preferably 16-20 players. Do you think I'll have a chance at that?

That sounds like a ton of fun! I'd be way down!
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

You can learn to levitate with just a little help.

:idea: = Surprised Cyclops

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:12 pm UTC

Wheel of Time

Spoiler:
So unless I screw up I'm practically guaranteed my win, awesome.

I want to side with town since Rand threw me a HUGE bone, but I am making my post look ambiguous since hopefully scum (I think Bessie?) will just out themselves and make my life easy.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:13 pm UTC

@heuristically_alone - OK, I should probably look into making it happen then, at least see if I get signups.

Madge

Postby Madge » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:43 am UTC

Wheel of Time

Spoiler:
carlington makes a compelling case and Sabrar put him on the town side, and his role seems townie. I think I just want to vote bessie and get it over with, maybe.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:22 am UTC

Wheel of Time:
Spoiler:
That...that can't have been it. That was too easy, surely? Did I play myself?

Madge

Postby Madge » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:48 am UTC

Wheel of time

Spoiler:
I hope Carlington is not twirling his metaphorical moustache as he managed to trick me and sabrar; I suppose we'll see....

bessie

Postby bessie » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:40 am UTC

Wheel of Time

Spoiler:
Are you fucking kidding me? I checked the thread on my lunch hour and D3 hadn’t started yet. There wasn’t even four hours of game time before I got hammered. I make it very clear in every game I play that I don’t play when I’m at work, and I let everyone know my work hours. I think this was really rude of you both.

And Madge, WTF, you want to reward Sabrar for helping you yesterday? How, by steering you wrong about the dagger? I tried to point you toward stealing the dagger from Carlington/Mat.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:46 am UTC

Wheel of Time (@bessie)
Spoiler:
While I understand your frustration, this is basic play-to-win from their part. Carlington knows that you're the last scum and can't risk leaving you alive, Madge can win with either party if she survives so as soon as she has the chance she needs to hammer.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:06 am UTC

Wheel of Time:

Spoiler:
I am certainly happy that my murderer was killed. I only hope that Madge is really a survivor. There was something there that Bessie hat the option to "free" Pad Fain when she killed me, and I don't know if she did, and what effect that had on the game.

For the record, I jailed kalira on N1. Almost the right choice…
Image <-- Evil experiment

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:25 am UTC

For some reason the forum is not blocked at work (assuming it will be on forumserver.twoplustwo.com, can't access the google doc) though its main focus looks to be gambling. Given that I have the free time I volunteer as tribute if no-one else would like to participate but I'm not sure that I would be the best choice given my playstyle.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:02 am UTC

Wheel of Time (partially @bessie):
Spoiler:
While it makes complete logical sense for Madge to hammer, it's a shame, as I'd hoped to see bessie's response before the day ended. New proposed rule for future games: no day actions in the first 24 hours and hammer votes do not end the day until at least 24 hours into the day.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:03 pm UTC

Wheel of Time (@bessie):
Spoiler:
I'm really sorry, I feel very badly that I upset you. I guess pushing for the quick hammer made the most sense to me, as did rushing my claim to get it out before you could post. I did expect that Madge would at least let you post before hammering, but I can also see why she played it the way she did.
I'll try to be more considerate of the times other players can play in future games, and again I'm really very sorry, and I hope you're not too disappointed.

Thingyman

Postby Thingyman » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:31 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:

For some reason the forum is not blocked at work (assuming it will be on forumserver.twoplustwo.com, can't access the google doc) though its main focus looks to be gambling. Given that I have the free time I volunteer as tribute if no-one else would like to participate but I'm not sure that I would be the best choice given my playstyle.

Hi Sabrar

It will actually take place on MafiaUniverse.com. Hopefully that isn't blocked for you, though some filters might pick it up as gaming-related.

Given that there seems to be at least one volunteer, I will lock down a spot for you guys :). I'm glad to see xkcd represented again.

Wrt playstyle, what is your concern, I'm curious? :). As long as you aren't throwing around derogatory terms and insulting people in every post, you should probably be fine. Most important thing is being able to keep up with a thread that may get 500 posts each day for the first few days and being able to make 10+ posts each day phase yourself. If you can do that, it's all good.

Since you can't access the doc, I'll c/p the info in here below:

Invitation to The Mafia Championship Season 3

Hello fellow Mafia enthusiasts! :)

My name is Thingyman. I am making this post with the hopes that your community would be interested in participating in Season 3 of the Mafia Championship.

The Mafia Championship is an annual online tournament series that pits representatives from various forum Mafia communities against one another as they compete to determine the Internet’s greatest forum Mafia player. The representatives are officially and democratically chosen to be “Champions” by their respective communities.

Season 1 (2013-2014) featured 100+ players from 45+ different communities, and the Season 2 (2015) boasted an even more impressive count of 70 different communities represented. The creator of Mafia himself (Dmitry Davidoff) has even supported and endorsed the series by previously offering to privately chat with the ultimate winner.

This year we’re expanding once again; 136 communities will be invited to participate, making this not only the biggest Mafia event ever, but also the largest cross-forum event in the history of the Internet.

Are you interested?

I am hoping very much that this all sounds exciting! If interested, I would need you all to name one representative to play on your community's behalf. How you decide this representative is completely up to you. You will have until April 18th to decide your nominee. Additionally, it would be a very good idea to also name an alternate.

When deciding your nomination, please consider the following: You should of course be aiming to send one of your best players. But more importantly this individual needs to be able to participate adequately in terms of activity. Be prepared for at least upwards of 500 posts per 24 hours during the early stages of the game. The representative needs to not only be able to read all this, but should also at least be able to manage 10+ posts per day phase. I repeat: These games will be active.

Season 3 Specifics

• 136 different communities are invited to participate. If some decline the invitation, I may opt to allow larger communities an additional nominee.
• 8 Qualifying Games will be played with 17 players each.
• 2 players advance to the Finale Game from each game based on post-game votes.
• 1 Wildcard Game will be played (Wildcards are decided by a jury consisting of former finalists), determining the 17th and final spot in the Finale. Runner-ups in this game will be first in line to replace any finalists who may have to drop out.

Season 3 Timeline & Important Dates

The first Qualifying Game is set to start April 25th. Additional games will take place in the 1-3 months following. I will create a Doodle and find out the best times to start the various games so that preferably everyone gets to play during a time that suits them well. To be clear, this means that if your representative can’t play until June, for example, then that isn’t an issue - they will simply be scheduled to play at that time.

In addition to this, it is also a priority to ensure as much as possible that all the players in any given game has no prior history of playing with each other to ensure a level playing field (but I cannot 100% guarantee that this won’t happen).

Season 3 Game Design & Setup

For each season, we’ve changed it up. This time, we’re doing something new again!

The setup is called Matrix12 and is inspired by mafiascum’s popular Matrix6 setup, if any of you are familiar with that. In short, the concept is that there are 12 different possible setups and the host randomizes which one is used. The players know what setups are available, but not which one will be used!

Regarding lynch mechanics: There will be a deadline each day phase, and the person with the most votes at the end of the day is lynched, unless a majority has already been reached before then, in which case the day ends prematurely.

Days will last 36 hours and nights 12 hours, meaning 48 hours (2 days) per game day. With one exception: The weekend (Friday, Saturday and Sunday) will be one game day (so day will be 60 hours and night 12 hours on weekends).

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:43 pm UTC

@Thingyman: just checked, MafiaUniverse.com is blocked. :(
moot point wrt playstyle: mine is much more analytical then I saw on other forums, I've even received comments that my efforts in dissecting the setup at the beginning of D1 would have gotten me insta-lynched in other environments.

@all: spot is open, please apply!

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:41 pm UTC

@thingyman

As a not as experienced player, I offer my name as an alternate. If a more experienced player doesn't step in by April 18th, I'll proudly represent our forum and go all the way!
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

You can learn to levitate with just a little help.

:idea: = Surprised Cyclops

Thingyman

Postby Thingyman » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:04 pm UTC

@heuristically_alone

Cool! :D

@Sabrar

Ah, shame. Even the direct forum link? http://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/

dimochka
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Postby dimochka » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:10 pm UTC

I don't know that I could handle 500-1000 posts / day...
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:07 am UTC

@Thingyman: Huh. I can see the forum page but when I want to read any of the threads it comes up as blocked again. Was really happy for a few seconds. Must have some pretty weird filters as that is the first forum where I experienced this issue. Oh well, seems I'm out.

New User

Postby New User » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:27 pm UTC

Sometimes I like to go back and read my old games. I try to remember what I was thinking when I made those posts.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:15 pm UTC

New User wrote:Sometimes I like to go back and read my old games. I try to remember what I was thinking when I made those posts.

Why don't you come back to play and find out? :D

Return to “Mafia”