The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Sabrar

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Sabrar » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:57 am UTC

Dollhouse:
Spoiler:
jimbobmacdoodle wrote:nobody will realise that there's an SK either

crucialityfactor seems to know the show pretty well, he can easily deduce from the fluff that there's an SK. Furthermore the role-pm for bessie indicates that the Chair is the method of the Mafia NK, so I expect Town to at least get that part right. Of course this assumes that people read and remember this part of the rules:
Sabrar wrote:Also I aim to write flavor that is fairly indicative about the actions during the night.

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:25 pm UTC

Dollhouse

Spoiler:
Feel really bad that I missed basically the whole day as well as the night phase. Feel like it could be a totally different game if I was involved. :(

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:52 am UTC

Dollhouse
Spoiler:
LYLO/MYLO is impossible to determine with 2 kills tonight that could each be blocked so I deliberately don't comment on that. It is entirely possible for Town to mislynch and still win, also they could lynch scum and still easily lose.

I have no idea if the setup at the beginning was balanced, I felt that each faction had both good and bad things going for them. It was possible that at the start of D2 only 1 Town player would have been alive in an almost impossible situation (but theoretically there was a way s/he could still win). It was also possible that all scum are eliminated by N1 and D2 doesn't even start. Both were fringe cases.

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:21 pm UTC

Dollhouse

Spoiler:
Ugh, had I got my night action in I'd know a lot more about how I want to treat today. Just gotta play it vanilla I guess.

bessie

Postby bessie » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:36 am UTC

Dollhouse Mafia
Spoiler:
I just realized I haven't posted here for a while. Some random D2 thoughts.

Gosh darn it freezeblade. You just waited too long to post. There were only three hours until deadline and I was already late for work. I would have tried harder to swing the vote to mpolo (yes I would have still been wrong but that’s not the point).

And double gosh darn jimbobmacdoodle. Why didn’t you try to get freezeblade to vote for Carlington instead of mpolo? Or try harder to get me to switch? Or do something to try to save freezeblade?

I don’t even know who to suspect because I don’t know who was on line Monday before deadline and who could have switched their vote but didn't. I’m a crappy scum hunter and I’m not good at behavioral tells. My power is useless in helping to find scum. And scum didn’t try to kill me last night so I must be really far off in my reads.

Maybe I can draw the mafia kill tonight.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:49 am UTC

Dollhouse:
Spoiler:
@bessie - I tried a little. Look back at how much I tried to defend mpolo (or at least question people's reasoning). I didn't want to overdo it, as I also needed to avoid being NKed, which went wrong after I got semi-randomly targeted by dimochka. I couldn't know for certain that a) freezeblade was town, and b) would see any defence I posted without scum seeing it.

@mpolo: do you think I should have tried defending you more?

@nobody: current theorised scum team is adnapemit and Diemo. Dimochka has claimed SK here and Carlington Survivor. Pretty sure everyone else is town from their comments, but I might have missed one or two claims here. Had I been alive, I think I'd have gone after adnapemit. Her posting seems pretty low in content.

@Sabrar: would I have got a result last night on bessie had I not died?
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:13 am UTC

Dollhouse (@jimbob)
Spoiler:
You would have seen Carlington. (freezeblade also wanted to protect bessie but was dead by that time.)

Also I don't want spoil the fun for you so I won't reveal if your guess is correct, but at least 1 of the Mafia members has already claimed in this thread so you could go back and check if you want.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:46 am UTC

PyPokemon 2:
Spoiler:
Excellent, a good night for a change, one mafia down, only one town (and them one of the more suspicious looking players), and 3 different people used abilities on me:
Firstly, I received a Berry Juice. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't know this except for my ability, but thanks to being able to replicate it, I know that I can give either a poisoned (immediate death) or kill-immune version. I'll be VERY interested to see whether a) anybody claims to have given me it, and b) see if they explain the poisoning effect.
Secondly, I've received a paranoid watcher action (receives random result if nobody visited the target), presumably because somebody watched me. That means that they'll be able to flush out anybody who lied about not targeting me.
Thirdly, I can render somebody vote and lynch immune for a day, hence why I am today.
My plan is:
1) Wait for everybody to say whether they targeted me or not.
2) If 3 people claim, ask for the berry juice user to claim their ability. If a different number of people claim, ask the watcher to claim who didn't claim then vote for one of them as lying scum.
3) If the berry juice user claims and truthfully gives the full role, and says they give me the kill immunity, drink it and use the watcher action tonight on whoever is most townie - Esthr, maybe, or the paranoid watcher, if I know who it is.
4) If the berry juice user gives their ability in full, but doesn't say what they gave me, challenge them on it, then drink it (unless they claim poison). In either 3) or 4), if I drink it and die, we have a confirmed scum.
5) If the berry juice player doesn't claim the full ability, vote them for being lying/misleading scum. Of course, if I don't get poisoned, there's no guarantee that the player is not scum.
Overall, I'm pretty confident about today. I might press for further claims later, if I don't catch out the berry juice user, or lying scum of some kind.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:56 am UTC

Pokemon
Spoiler:
[rant]So this is the second time in a row where I'm scum and Town gets a distinct advantage because they posted after hammer/deadline. Just f*cking great. :evil: [/rant]

Clarification: It would similarly frustrate me if it was someone on my team as obviously the rules apply to everyone. This is just happenstance.

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:20 am UTC

PyPoké 2:
Spoiler:
Snark wrote:Hilarously, a townie has been using their protection action on mafia traitor and mafia so far. Let's see if they keep trusting them.
:oops:

I chose Carlington because that's who I guessed scum would kill if Sabrar flipped town. Obviously, I was wrong.

(I imagined that it would be too easy for scum to lynch me if Sabrar was town, so I tried dying instead.)

"Therefore it is in the interests not only of public safety but also public sanity if the buttered toast on cats idea is scrapped, to be replaced by a monorail powered by cats smeared with chicken tikka masala floating above a rail made from white shag pile carpet."

Esthr

Postby Esthr » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:56 pm UTC

PyPokemon @Sabrar
Spoiler:
Not specifically directed at Sabrar. I just needed a plausible reason to post in Gojoe.

So one of the mafia managed to get chat with the traiter, and then we both convinced each other that we were town. The lost potential...

Unfortunately, even I think SirGabriel is the other mafia member, my last ally, and I'm in no position to help him. If scum!SirGabriel is lynched today, I have to avoid being lynched until N5. On the other hand, I could be as wrong about SirGabriel as I was about Sabrar.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:58 pm UTC

Pokemon
Spoiler:
So I was very doubtful that Carlington still had a chance to win this for us as there were so many players voting for me but recent events give a little hope. Esthr will probably be lynched either D2 or D3 and when she flips traitor he should immediately point out that it was very likely that Mafia was told the identity of the traitor and that's why I chose to have a chat with her. Being the first to FoS and vote Esthr he should be established as Town at that point. Of course all of the unknown abilities could still wreak havoc with the plan.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:42 pm UTC

PyPokemon:
Spoiler:
Berry Juice according to one online source: "A 100 percent pure juice made of Berries. When consumed, it restores 20 HP to an injured Pokémon." That would probably cover the night kill immunity. There is nothing on there about a poisoned version. I'm trying to think how to get SirGabriel to openly state that it can only be a good benefit from any berry juice. If I can do that, bang, one dead SirGabriel for lying. On the other hand, I don't want to tip-off scum!SirGabriel. Town!SirGabriel is more likely to divulge the full effects. Hmm... lots to think about.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:59 am UTC

PyPokemon 2
Spoiler:
Poketale.png

(Click for a larger version.)

Personal favorite: Houndour/Annoying Dog. Captures both well. Drew Diancie/Toriel too smooth. Barely differs from normal Diancie. (Looks nice, at least, if slightly angry.) Deviated from proportions too much with Charizard/Alphys.

Skimped on Generation Two Pokemon Centers. Lacks a door handle. (Could have been a bad reference, though.)
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Snark

Postby Snark » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:24 am UTC

Deva wrote:PyPokemon 2
Spoiler:
Poketale.png

(Click for a larger version.)

Personal favorite: Houndour/Annoying Dog. Captures both well. Drew Diancie/Toriel too smooth. Barely differs from normal Diancie. (Looks nice, at least, if slightly angry.) Deviated from proportions too much with Charizard/Alphys.

Skimped on Generation Two Pokemon Centers. Lacks a door handle. (Could have been a bad reference, though.)

PyPokemon @Deva:
Spoiler:
I knew at least one person would know the reference, but I didn't expect such a sweet artist's interpretation. Thanks Deva! My fav is definitely Charizard/Alphys.
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?

adnapemit

Postby adnapemit » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:48 am UTC

Dollhouse
Spoiler:
:( I have played this game really badly. The everyone is referring to a "one shot cop claim" and I keep wanting to correct them and suggest my other abilities but that would just make it worse for me. I think I should have just pretended to be vanilla town...
Empress adnapemit "Nancy" "Time Panda"
[adnapemit|timepanda]
Does anyone actually read signatures?

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:55 am UTC

Dollhouse
Spoiler:
If I can survive tonight then I've made it I think. I would have preferred to claim tomorrow, but the wagon made me nervous. I have no idea if full-claiming is a good idea as a survivor, but I guess I'll soon find out. I genuinely believe that in the current game state, neither scum nor town have a good reason to kill me, and lynching or NKing me would hurt whichever faction carries it out. The only worry now is the fear of an SK or a vig, since a vig could NK me without town wasting the lynch and thus get the benefit without the setback, I guess.

PyPoké
Spoiler:
I have useful tools up my sleeve. I'm basically just an SK now I guess, but I have my watcher result from N1 on adnapemit. Esthr looks like being lynched today, and tomorrow I can claim my watcher/tracker ability. I'll NK someone tonight, and tomorrow claim that N1 I targeted Jimbob and got adnapemit, which Jimbob can confirm, and N2 I watched whoever I target because I thought they looked likely to be killed - then any potential tracker or watcher result on me is explained by my watching, I can claim that SirG visited whoever I NK and set him up for the lynch. Then we'll be presumably at 3 vs 1 on D4, which is LYLO, and I'll just have to wing it from there and hope I look towny enough.
Sabrar, if you're reading, this one's for you my scumbuddy and I mourn your premature death.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:27 am UTC

Dollhouse
Spoiler:
Remaining players after tonight's massacre:
1 Town - with one-shot immunity to the Mafia NK
1 Serial Killer - who already lost his one-shot immunity to the Mafia NK
2 Mafia
Nobody has any additional abilities that would be relevant from this point on.

If Town + SK can identify the situation then they can force a No Lynch. If then Mafia believes that the SK is completely bulletproof and try to kill the townie then it is entirely possible that D4 starts with a 1-1-1 setup, where anything is possible. Even Town could win although that would require someone not voting to set up a tie and the remaining Mafia and SK killing off each other.
I haven't imagined such an outcome but I'm very curious where it will lead.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:50 am UTC

Dollhouse:
Spoiler:
Ah, you bastard Sabrar! I was so sure you wouldn't have included an SK. Did my blocking bessie do anything? I have not much to say, I would have been wrong anyway not knowing about the SK, so tomorrow would have been 1/1/1 at best. Lynching me really was better for town in that scenario (although lynching Madge would have been best I think.)
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:58 am UTC

Dollhouse (@Carlington):
Spoiler:
No, bessie is the remaining Town with passive immunity that cannot be role-blocked (but no-one tried to kill her tonight, although she was the back-up kill for Mafia on both N1 and N2).
BTW I saw you saying that a setup of 5/1/1/2 would not have been balanced. I agree, however the game started with 10 players and with 6/1/1/2 I hope it was okay-ish.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:16 am UTC

Dollhouse:
Spoiler:
If it makes you feel better Carlington, I'd have probably voted diMadgeka ahead of you. The best claim to make for anyone today is SK. Bessie as Town is likely to be believed by Madge, I reckon, and there's a good chance Madge as SK is also a good choice. That leads to a Mexican stand-off D4, if the Mafia aim at bessie. I assume everyone dying is an SK victory? I was going to list the best strategy in that situation for everyone, but actually Bessie voting No Lynch should be all that's needed. Mafia can't lynch her or mutual death. Similarly they have to then NK diMadgeka. Our SK then has kingmaker role: NK mafia for town win or NK town for Mafia win.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:05 am UTC

Dollhouse:
Spoiler:
I should have lynched diMadgeka. I didn't, in case you were wondering, because I was worried about the SK hitting me or my scumbuddy, and because I was also worried about a Doc/Roleblocker blocking a kill.

"Therefore it is in the interests not only of public safety but also public sanity if the buttered toast on cats idea is scrapped, to be replaced by a monorail powered by cats smeared with chicken tikka masala floating above a rail made from white shag pile carpet."

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:10 am UTC

Dollhouse:
Spoiler:
Well, that's amusing. Firstly, emlightened has highlighted 80% of the strategy possible, without the town bulletproof knowledge. If bessie plays this right, she should do quite nicely. *Telepathically encourages bessie and Madge to vote No Lynch (or at least the same mafia)*
BlitzGirl the Primordial

adnapemit

Postby adnapemit » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:20 am UTC

Dollhouse
Spoiler:
Why does all the important stuff happen while I have no access to a computer. Advice to everyone: if I have a vote on you then you should claim when I'm online and not when I'm asleep or at work. Oh well.
I'm so glad bessie was town, I would have been so heartbroken if she wasn't. I am definitely interested to see how this ends.
Empress adnapemit "Nancy" "Time Panda"
[adnapemit|timepanda]
Does anyone actually read signatures?

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:21 am UTC

Dollhouse (partly @Sabrar):
Spoiler:
Ninja-response following on from Sabrar's everyone dead comment: I think it's impossible for Madge to win, unless Mafia allow the lynching of one of their team or bessie votes incorrectly. Assuming No Lynch tonight, Mafia target bessie, and Madge targets Mafia, we are at 1-1-1. At that point for Madge to win, either mafia have to NK bessie, or bessie has to vote to lynch someone. The best she can hope for is lynching bessie that day and mutual NKs for a draw.

@Sabrar - [grammar pedant]I guess technically you should have said "No Faction wins" in your in-thread response. "Neither" implies that there are only two factions, which would be lying. :P [/grammar pedant]
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:31 am UTC

Dollhouse (@jimbob):
Spoiler:
Not being a native English-speaker myself, you might be right. In my defense Merriam-Webster has the following:
"A few commentators think that neither must be limited in reference to two, but reference to more than two has been quite common since the 17th century"

Anyway I will clarify it if it becomes really necessary, although I would assume that they can work it out themselves.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:02 pm UTC

PyPokemon:
Spoiler:
So, I just drank the Berry Juice. Let's see whether SirGabriel was telling the truth. Of course, it doesn't guarantee him being town if it works... If I do keel over, then hopefully everybody will remember what I said and lynch him.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:22 pm UTC

Pokemon (@Snark):
Spoiler:
Could you tell me who Esthr targeted N1 or N2 and when the target will supposedly die? Thanks in advance!

SirGabriel

Postby SirGabriel » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:29 pm UTC

PyPokémon
Spoiler:
Brilliant plan by jimbob. Whether Esthr is scum or not, jimbob almost certainly made himself the nightkill target tonight (if Esthr's town, they could target her, but it would be better to kill jimbob and get Esthr lynched), and I gave him a Berry Juice that protects him from nightkills for one night whenever he chooses to use it. So if Esthr is town, we've got a powerful doctor confirmed and there's no nightkill, and if she's scum, then she's confirmed scum and there's still no nightkill.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:59 pm UTC

dollhouse
Spoiler:
WHY WOULD YOU VOTE CARLINGTON?! His claim would be a stupid one to make as a mafia member, and a really stupid one to make as a town member. A roleblocking survivor is way less strange than some other "standard" roles we've seen around here recently, and it's far more important to lynch mafia/SK than a survivor. Frustrating.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

dimochka
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Postby dimochka » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:03 pm UTC

dollhouse
Spoiler:
that last post made it so clear (to me) that emlighened is scum that it almost hurts
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:15 am UTC

Dollhouse

Spoiler:
I'm 90% sure I am right. If not, bessie deserves this
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

Madge

Postby Madge » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:18 am UTC

Dollhouse

Spoiler:
oh my goodness I LOVE this part of the game. I think I have no chance of winning - sorry dim.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:29 am UTC

Dollhouse:
Spoiler:
Really regretting doing a Carlington lynch over a diMadgeka lynch, but nothing to do about it.

Diemo's correct (except our roles are actually the other way around). All I have to do is hope that bessie sides with us, or that Madge isn't bulletproof on N3.

I'd still like to know if he happened to forget to mention that he's a Godfather, or if its some slip related to adnape/her power.

dimochka
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Postby dimochka » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:45 am UTC

PyPokemon
Spoiler:
Just putting this post here because why not. Will check if I was right later.

jimbobmacdoodle - doesnt automatically overreach over my pgo claim, but thinks i'm hiding parts of the role. focuses on rejected roles. thinks sirg and sabrar are acting similarly. asks to be targeted. still not entirely sure why he finds me scummy. leaning town.

Esthr - looked very townie initially (d1) but after the current day, as mentioned in my last post, pretty likely anti town

adnapemit - tries to guess people's choices. one of the first who thought sabrar is scum. i actually realized while rereading him that i offered to hammer myself earlier. totally didnt remember this... anyways thinks esthr is scum. probably most townie in my book because of the opinions and the unbiased analysis. but of course i'm biased.

Carlington - d1 very little content, suspects esthr. targeted jimbob. D2 says sirg/esthr need a re-read and are more suspicious, then i appear on his list with NO EXPLANATION at all, and then votes me. likely scum.

SirGabriel - sides with sabrar through all of d1, sides with esthr through all of d2. i want to say that he's scum, but i'm almost curious if he's just really having terrible reads. neutral leaning scum.

mpolo - first two pages basically nothing a bit of role discussion. thinks im suspicious but sabrar more so. reread and puts me as townie, thinks sirg is looking scummy. pointed out that i didnt vote (i didnt want to hammer or get close to it just in case, but yes you're right i should have), but decides esthr is scummy. thinks her power is too strong. townie.

Well there are my thoughts, when I flip you know who to look at.

Vote esthr

I will not be on before deadline again.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

Esthr

Postby Esthr » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:47 am UTC

PyPokemon
Spoiler:
yay

Snark

Postby Snark » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:59 am UTC

PyPokemon:
Spoiler:
Sorry Sabrar no early spoilers.

But this is going to be a very funny game to recap when it's over. I think both town and scum alike are going to be surprised at what exactly was going on.
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?

bessie

Postby bessie » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:13 am UTC

Dollhouse Mafia
Spoiler:
It looks like I’m really in a situation where town can’t win. Diemo is lying about his power (to be invisible to night actions) because adnapemit got a town cop on him. He’s probably lying about emlightened too but I don’t see any help for town there. I’m pretty sure Madge is lying about still being bulletproof, but she’s very clever and probably has something up her sleeve. So tonight mafia kills Madge and Madge kills mafia. Tomorrow me + mafia, and I don’t have a kill.

However…

Hopeful and highly unlikely speculation:
There is something nagging me about my power. I asked Sabrar if I would be informed if the mafia tried to kill me, and I expected a no comment, but it turns out I will be informed. I don’t see any reason for him to inform me, so I’ve been wondering if possibly I get a new one-shot power after I use my current one-shot power. Probably not, but it is my last and only hope for a town win. So here’s hoping the almighty mod bestows upon me a one-shot PGO, because a one-shot vig will be a draw (which I think is a no win), and anything else will be a loss.

But in all seriousness, it looks like mafia has this in the bag. Here goes.

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:54 am UTC

Dollhouse
Spoiler:
So I am lying a little about our powers. I basically switched me and emlightened's power - so that if Bessie has a roleblock then we still win (assuming that Madge kills the claimed person who can get through roleblocks). But this might backfire on me when the reveals are made. Meh
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:02 am UTC

Dollhouse:
Spoiler:
Mafia seems to have this in the bag, they are targeting Madge tonight therefore if nothing changes there's no way anyone can stop them. Still, bessie needs to vote and Madge obviously didn't submit any kills yet so game over will have to wait a bit.
Sorry bessie, I said at the very beginning that roles contain no hidden mechanics so you won't get any additional powers.

Return to “Mafia”