The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Suzaku

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Suzaku » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:33 pm UTC

Alternating:
Spoiler:
I gotta say, if Carlington's scum, he's playing a right convincing town game.
Pronouns: he/him/his > they/them/their >> it/it/its
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:35 pm UTC

Alternating:
Spoiler:
God, I hope I haven't laid it on too thick. There's just so much wine around in pretty much everything I say. Should I point back to "townslips" I made like the D5 thing? Scum wouldn't say something like that...unless they would just so they could point to it later! A-ha, caught myself out...

Maybe being pessimistic isn't the best approach.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:20 pm UTC

Alternating 9P
Spoiler:
In Mathilda's place I would ruthlessly point out that as a more experienced player (at least on this forum) Carlington should have known to withhold posting after D3 hammer (which he acknowledges he saw) and the only reason to submit the post anyway was to reinforce his townieness.

BTW: everything I posted regarding the strategy part of the game, I would have posted exactly the same thing had I been Town. Given enough smart townies scum can't hope to win with advocating bad strategy and hoping Town will make a mistake, they win by appearing overwhelmingly Town themselves. So if you doubt the validness of my strategy for future games just because I turned out to be scum, please don't. It's good advice. :)

Snark

Postby Snark » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:23 pm UTC

Pick your Pokemon Mafia is up in the sign-ups thread. :D
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?

Snark

Postby Snark » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:25 pm UTC

Snark wrote:Pick your Pokemon Mafia is up in the sign-ups thread. :D
One more sign-up needed for the game to run.
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:30 pm UTC

Dollhouse is almost certain to be postponed but I promised I would keep registration open until the weekend. I will sign up on Saturday if nothing changes.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:29 pm UTC

Last ditch effort to recruit players for Dollhouse Mafia.

Dollhouse was a television series created by the acclaimed Joss Whedon that had 2 fantastic seasons. It is set in a world where the technology exists to overwrite people's entire personalities with pre-programmed memories so they wouldn't even be aware that they aren't real. Everyone could be a doll. The series is the ideal setting for a Mafia game as noone can be sure of anyone's loyalties, there are multiple factions in play and it just oozes of flavor.
Please consider signing up!

SirGabriel

Postby SirGabriel » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:06 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:Last ditch effort to recruit players for Dollhouse Mafia.

Dollhouse was a television series created by the acclaimed Joss Whedon that had 2 fantastic seasons. It is set in a world where the technology exists to overwrite people's entire personalities with pre-programmed memories so they wouldn't even be aware that they aren't real. Everyone could be a doll. The series is the ideal setting for a Mafia game as noone can be sure of anyone's loyalties, there are multiple factions in play and it just oozes of flavor.
Please consider signing up!

I would, but I'm really busy this semester. I wasn't planning on playing Mafia at all, but I like PYP games, so I couldn't resist Pick Your Pokémon.

bessie

Postby bessie » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:28 pm UTC

I'll play dollhouse if I can play flavor blind.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:40 pm UTC

Knowing the flavor is not necessary to play, it just makes the game more enjoyable. Being flavor blind won't be a disadvantage, I promise.

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:11 pm UTC

PyPokemon 2:
Spoiler:
I'm town, with a role of Gardevoir. I can basically protect someone from a kill, at any time, by getting killed myself. I'm hoping that I'll be able to use it on a confirmed PR, but don't know how useful the role will actually be.
Last edited by emlightened on Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:25 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

"Therefore it is in the interests not only of public safety but also public sanity if the buttered toast on cats idea is scrapped, to be replaced by a monorail powered by cats smeared with chicken tikka masala floating above a rail made from white shag pile carpet."

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:32 pm UTC

@emlightened: it's probably best if you use separate posts for each game. That way, if people want to quote you from one, but are playing in the other, there's no risk of accidentally spoiling themselves.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:25 pm UTC

Dollhouse Mafia:
Spoiler:
I'm Mellie. I'm mafia, but my scumbuddy sends in the NK. If they kick the bucket, then I can do it, and am also untrackable and unwatchable. I don't think I'll outlast them, though, but I'll be optimistic. I don't think I'll try to bail out [other mafia] if they look suspicious, at least not by much. Votals can count for as much as reads, so I should probably be careful with how I handle it.

It's also my first time as mafia where I can chat to teammates, instead of having to not-chat with lurkers, so I'll get to see how useful that is.
Thanks for the advice. Edited.

"Therefore it is in the interests not only of public safety but also public sanity if the buttered toast on cats idea is scrapped, to be replaced by a monorail powered by cats smeared with chicken tikka masala floating above a rail made from white shag pile carpet."

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:54 am UTC

Dollhouse

Spoiler:
I'm town, Victor, lovers with jimbobmacadoodle, one-shot Vig.
Image <-- Evil experiment

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:57 am UTC

Pokemon:

Spoiler:
I selected Blastoise. Maximally every other day reflect all actions against me onto the actor. Town.

Charizard had the ability to torch someone (and everyone who visited them). If I torch somebody twice, they die. Seemed too dangerous for a town power.
Zygarde could use Land's Wrath once per game, thus blocking all other actions. I figured I wouldn't live long enough for this to be very useful…

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:18 pm UTC

Dollhouse:
Spoiler:
So, I'm town, and a watcher, giving me my fourth investigative power out of 5 games (I was vanilla in the other). I'm also lovers with mpolo, which means there's at least one person I can trust. Now how to avoid making that obvious, and also avoid getting killed? Here's hoping I can catch someone in a lie...
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:22 pm UTC

Dollhouse:
Spoiler:
Blergh, survivor. I've never played as one of these before, and I feel like it's going to be tricky. Although, with that said, I seem to be reasonably decent at staying alive until endgame anyway? I think I probably may as well help town scumhunt unless/until MyLo/LyLo happens, in which case I can probably pull off claiming survivor and backstabbing them to win with scum. The trick will be avoiding the NK for the most part.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:28 pm UTC

PYPokemon 2:
Spoiler:
I'm town. I had a choice of 3 really fun sounding abilities, so it was a hard choice. Option 1: Metapod gave me immunity to all forms of kills (including the lynch) for the first two days and nights, but come day 3, I evolve into Butterfree, get no abilities, and die if I'm voted for! Option 2: Mew. I get notified at the end of the day or night if I was targeted by any actions. I can then use that ability from that point on, though I can only use one per day/night cycle. Option 3: Ditto. At the start of each day, I can copy one Pokemon who died since the start of the previous day. I get that Pokemon's role.

I ended up going with Mew, but I really liked both the other two. In the end, I felt like Butterfree could become a liability rather than a bonus later on - if I announce my new ability early, and people believe me, I become worse than useless in a LYLO situation - we'd have to hammer scum before they got a chance to vote and kill me. I think Mew's ability could allow me some interesting options. What I need to do is somehow look slightly scummy to attract a load of abilities early on, but not so much that I get lynched.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:28 pm UTC

PyPokemon
Spoiler:
Scum once again, with Carlington. Chose a Masonic chat ability with Esthr to have an unsuspecting ally on the inside. I fear she will never trust me again after this and the Alternating game. :D

dimochka
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Postby dimochka » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:22 pm UTC

PyPokemon
Spoiler:
I'm actually Charizard - town with no powers until D3, which is when I'll get a kill power, and D5 when this power becomes unblockable. Claimed PGO for fun and so that I maybe have a shot at surviving to D3!

Dollhouse
Spoiler:
I'm Alpha, SK as people speculated. And my safeclaim is Ivy, Topher's backup, as people speculated. Well this will be interesting. I think I've won more often than lost as SK, but the fact that I have flavor knowledge may make me a good random target. Thankfully I have 1x immunity from mafia kill.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

adnapemit

Postby adnapemit » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:04 am UTC

Dollhouse
Spoiler:
I am Topher Brink. I am town.
Empress adnapemit "Nancy" "Time Panda"
[adnapemit|timepanda]
Does anyone actually read signatures?

adnapemit

Postby adnapemit » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:45 am UTC

PyPokemon
Spoiler:
I picked Diancie, I am town. I get to make one person immune to lynch the next day.
After seeing the roles I had a choice of think maybe I should have picked Espurr as one of my 3. The three I actually chose was Diancie, Mew and Aurorus.
Empress adnapemit "Nancy" "Time Panda"
[adnapemit|timepanda]
Does anyone actually read signatures?

Esthr

Postby Esthr » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:12 pm UTC

PyPokemon
Spoiler:
So.
I'm a Traitor, aligned with mafia. I don't know who my mates are.
Sabrar is apparently a Mason, and has chosen me to be his partner.
I just posted my "rejected" pokemon in the thread, but I actually did choose Delphox. The ability is exactly as I described.

I have only a vague idea of what I'm doing. 90% chance I corner myself by D3, 10% something amazing happens.

bessie

Postby bessie » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:29 am UTC

Dollhouse Mafia
Spoiler:
No, I’m not a jester, I’m Echo/town.

This game isn’t getting anywhere with everyone agreeing with everyone else and playing a very safe game, and it looks like there’s no aggressive or “unconventional” players, so I decided to try playing more aggressively like SDK and am trying to start some conflict by FOSing everyone. I thought of voting No Lynch just to needle freezeblade. Maybe tomorrow.

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:36 am UTC

PyPokemon
Spoiler:
yeah I don't think this lying thing was worth it... i'm just digging a bigger hole every time. And this all WHILE BEING TOWN.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:49 am UTC

PyPokemon
Spoiler:
Oh well. If we should both survive I will definitely have to kill dimochka N3. Unfortunately the roles were not very balanced in my opinion, Axew had a public Cop ability N3 which is totally useless for scum.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:46 pm UTC

PyPokemon 2:
Spoiler:
Is it a compliment that SirG finds it hard to read me? I'm glad he does. I've tried to develop a meta that is pretty indistinguishable between town and scum. It was painful at first (game 2 and 3 people were calling me scum because I was using the same style) but it seems to be bedding in now.

I'm going with my gut mostly against Sabrar. Not 100% certain that I'm right by any means, but I doubt he'll be able to say anything to make me change my mind before deadline.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:16 pm UTC

Dollhouse
Spoiler:
Looks to be an interesting night. Cop is investigating the Godfather and Mafia is trying to kill the exact 2 players who have 1-shot immunity from them. :D

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:12 pm UTC

Dollhouse
Spoiler:
Going to kill jimbob tonight for a non game-related reason. I just picked someone who is playing both games, so they still have something to do :D

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:23 pm UTC

Pokemon
Spoiler:
Why can't people read the rules???? They are there for a reason. :cry:

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:54 pm UTC

Sorry about PyPoke deadline, I misread it as 8pm, not 7.

Snark

Postby Snark » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:56 pm UTC

PyPokemon:
Spoiler:
Mafia!Sabrar opened up a chat line with their mafia traitor friend (who they didn't know was a mafia traitor friend) night 0. They both pretended to be town at each other in private chat despite neither being town. Hilarious.

Unfortunately with Sabrar dead, there's no more private chat of any kind so everything will be voting and actions.

Game randomly started a little imbalanced in favor of mafia due to random roles so a D1 mafia lynch will certainly help town in a way that was needed though.

Hilarously, a townie has been using their protection action on mafia traitor and mafia so far. Let's see if they keep trusting them.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:12 pm UTC

Dollhouse:
Spoiler:
Well I was going to post something in Dollhouse but I realised that anything I said would have meant having to either defend mpolo too much, attack or defend claimed doctor freezeblade, or add nothing useful. I couldn't afford people switching away from freezeblade onto mpolo, since that would have meant two of us dead, nor would attacking freezeblade and presumably voting for him have been excusable, assuming he flips as claimed. I'm slightly worried I've been looking too townie, so am scared that I'll get targeted tonight, instead of obvious choice bessie. On the other hand, if scum go the obvious way, my watch ability should help flush someone out.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:27 pm UTC

Pokemon (@Snark):
Spoiler:
Snark wrote:Mafia!Sabrar opened up a chat line with their mafia traitor friend (who they didn't know was a mafia traitor friend) night 0. They both pretended to be town at each other in private chat despite neither being town. Hilarious.

You just made my day. Thank you so much! :lol:

Pokemon (@all):
Spoiler:
Please repeat after me: early PGO claim is scummy as hell. Can't believe dimochka tried it. Would have been so exonerated if he got lynched and later revealed to be lying town... :(

Sorry, just did.
Last edited by Sabrar on Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:48 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:47 pm UTC

Sabrar - is that second spoiler also a PyPokemon spoiler? If so, could you label it more clearly, please.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:15 pm UTC

Dollhouse:
Spoiler:
Oh wow. 3 down? that's just harsh. And suspicious that some people were around on the deadline, elsewhere on the forums, but weren't there after I claimed.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:48 pm UTC

Dollhouse:
Spoiler:
Well that went badly, badly wrong. SK!dimochka kills me simply because I'm playing in PyPokemon, whilst the mafia kill is blocked, meaning nobody will realise that there's an SK either. 7 players left, including 3 scum (at least) and a survivor. So, town are already outnumbered by non-town. Game is not hopeless yet, but it doesn't look great.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:44 pm UTC

Dollhouse:
Spoiler:
It's messing me up that people can have such an uncanny ability to spot that I'm an indie. I can only dream of having reads that good on anyone. Here's hoping I haven't got too big a target on my back. Maybe scum sees me as drawing attention off them, so I'll focus on dodging the lynch for now. If I can survive another night then I might have made it.

PyPoké:
Spoiler:
Well, balls. That sucks. I'm going to kill emlightened and watch jimbobmacdoodle, but I have this sinking feeling that it might be a bad move. Assuming I survive, I'm going to try and take advantage of SirG and Esthr, and eventually push an Esthr lynch.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:42 am UTC

Accidentally left of the spoiler tags, but there wasn't anything there. (Dollhouse)

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:Dollhouse:
Spoiler:
Well that went badly, badly wrong. SK!dimochka kills me simply because I'm playing in PyPokemon, whilst the mafia kill is blocked, meaning nobody will realise that there's an SK either. 7 players left, including 3 scum (at least) and a survivor. So, town are already outnumbered by non-town. Game is not hopeless yet, but it doesn't look great.

Spoiler:
I had hoped we were safe for a night with me looking so scummy, but there we go. It doesn't look good for town at all…
Last edited by mpolo on Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:47 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:54 am UTC

Might wish to fix that. (Reveals nothing, but even so.)
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Return to “Mafia”