The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Madge

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Madge » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:05 am UTC

I think that'd be awesome! I have been meaning to try my hand at modding for ages and while running the recent ghost game was fun, it didn't require any attention to game design and balance (well, arguably the balance was skewed in the favour of the team that ultimately lost, so, y'know)
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:10 am UTC

Off topic:
Spoiler:
Sheesh, chill everyone. Something I've loved about this forum is that since I've been a member, I've not witnessed any significant arguments or flame wars (admittedly I'm not well travelled), so I'm sad to see this here now.

What I would ask everyone involved in this discussion is, does your side matter to you all that much that you are willing to drive someone out from the community?

Ninja'ed by Minestrone Misnomer (oops :oops: ) - yep, I'd be interested. If nothing else, a different person's point of view is always welcome.
Last edited by jimbobmacdoodle on Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:07 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Suzaku

Postby Suzaku » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:47 am UTC

@jimbob, I think you mean Misnomer.

@Misnomer, that would be brilliant. More resources like that cannot possibly be a bad thing, IMNSHO.
Pronouns: he/him/his > they/them/their >> it/it/its
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:08 am UTC

Suzaku wrote:@jimbob, I think you mean Misnomer.

Oops, thanks Suzaku. Fixed!
BlitzGirl the Primordial

dimochka
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Postby dimochka » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:47 pm UTC

Same offtopic thing, @Carlington
Spoiler:
Re: your example - to be perfectly honest if i saw a dog and said "who's a good boy" and the owner corrected me that it's a girl, I would say, "yes sorry who's a good girl." And then very likely forget about it and make the exact same mistake next week. And I would be very surprised if the owner was angry at me for this. Annoyed? Maybe.
Also - I only go by male pronouns. However, my username does end in an A, which causes many people to refer to me as female. If that happens, I will either correct them, or ignore it altogether because it just really doesn't matter to me. Will I try to remember people's correct pronouns? Yes. But if I make a mistake and the response is "how dare you, call me this or else", I'm just going to ignore/avoid that person going forward, just like I would do in real life. And they are welcome to do the same.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

bessie

Postby bessie » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:20 am UTC

Misnomer wrote:On a more cheerful note, I've been toying with the idea of drawing up a modding guide (mostly focused on game design and potential pitfalls to avoid) that players can refer to if they'd like guidance on coming up with a setup. Would this be useful, do people think? Or are the current guides sufficient enough?

I would very much appreciate this! It would be a great help if I ever work up enough self-confidence to run a game.

Misnomer

Postby Misnomer » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:27 pm UTC

Cool stuff, in that case I'll get to work on writing it then. Watch this space. :)
moody7277 wrote:The role of SDK in this game will be played by Misnomer. [/soapopera]

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:11 pm UTC

@continued off-topic, at this point I'd be happy to even move to a group PM to stop taking up threadspace if you all want
Spoiler:
@dimochka, I just assumed your name was Dmitri, although I guess that assumption relies on knowing that Dmitri can be shortened to Dimochka which not everyone does. By all means, you have the right to continue acting the same way and you can react however you want to being challenged on it. So too can the person challenging you react as the want to your behaviour, and so too can I react to what you're saying. Over-reacting or reacting in a way perceived as over-reacting will probably have social consequences. So will under-reacting. Such is interaction.

@Misnomer, it seems like you're assuming that people's reactions will necessarily be rational reactions geared towards helpfulness. I'd say it's more likely that people will just react based on how they feel at the time.

@jimbob, it seems like you're assuming that this is just a thing with sides to be dispassionately and uninvolvedly argued over as a hypothetical argument - it's very much not that. It has a marked and measurable effect on people's quality of life.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:25 pm UTC

Alternate 9P

Spoiler:
Finally get to be scum. :twisted:

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:25 pm UTC

You guys think we can get enough people for a large Mortal Kombat mafia game? I can run with any size but large would be more fun.

It's basically ready to run whenever.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:42 pm UTC

I think you should just start sign-ups for real and you'll see if there's sufficient interest in it. That's what I'm planning to do with Dollhouse as I've received only 2 replies for my inquiry but am confident that there would be enough for a medium size game. However if you're completely ready to start then I'll wait my turn.

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:21 pm UTC

Nah go ahead in front of me.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:43 am UTC

Sign-ups for Dollhouse Mafia are open, come have a look.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:55 pm UTC

Alternating 9P:
Spoiler:
For anybody out there wondering, I'm vanilla town. I haven't got much else to say, my opinions are what I said in thread. Yes those mistakes were genuine. No, I don't really have a clue who is scum. Am I concerned that I'm going to make the same mistake as last game, where I was too easily persuaded away from early concerns? Hopefully not. I don't plan on moving my vote off emlightened, as I don't think I'm going to have the time to do any more real analysis.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:04 pm UTC

Yay! I got lynched! :roll:

Alternating 9P:
Spoiler:
I'm vanilla town. Not much more to say, except I'll enjoy reading what people post here. Sabrar is doing brilliantly, though. :evil:

Edit: I hope that I was right about ajh. Also, I wonder how good the strategy of looking at the players who were accused by the nightkilled is?

"Therefore it is in the interests not only of public safety but also public sanity if the buttered toast on cats idea is scrapped, to be replaced by a monorail powered by cats smeared with chicken tikka masala floating above a rail made from white shag pile carpet."

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:56 am UTC

Come on guys, sign up for Dollhouse mafia! It has awesome flavor!

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:43 am UTC

Alternating 9P:
Spoiler:
Jimbob - repeat after me 10 times: always trust your first gut reaction. I talked myself out of voting Sabrar, much as I did with emlightened in Secret Santa. Sorry emlightened :( "Scum wouldn't go that heavily after someone, surely???" Here's hoping something good will come of my death. On that note, I think killing me was a mistake, unless Esthr is scum, since I was likely a possible mislynch target.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:41 pm UTC

Alternating 9P
Spoiler:
@jimbobmacdoodle: in case you're wondering, we've killed you because I thought you might be the cop.
Have you guessed my partner yet? :D

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:25 pm UTC

Alternating 9P:
Spoiler:
@Sabrar: I don't know for sure. I don't think it's Esthr, ajh or Mathilda. Knowing that you are scum suggests to me that Suzaku might be your buddy for his comment about your "excellent post" or Minestrone for wafting vague suspicions in your direction, to allow for the possibility of bussing and not from nowhere. As for the cop, my guess is maybe Carlington, but it's hardly anything more than a thought.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:52 pm UTC

Alternating 9P:
Spoiler:
I realise that I really need to stop driving a case to the ground with someone based on initial suspicions. First time, I defended someone who everyone else thought was scum, and was (Yablo; 102). Second time, I attacked the doctor, and it got me lynched (ajh in this game).

"Therefore it is in the interests not only of public safety but also public sanity if the buttered toast on cats idea is scrapped, to be replaced by a monorail powered by cats smeared with chicken tikka masala floating above a rail made from white shag pile carpet."

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:57 pm UTC

Alternating 9P (@emlightened):
Spoiler:
I don't think it was so much you attacking ajh that got you lynched as your idea that we should implicitly not trust power role claims as self-defence. That's certainly why I voted you, and probably Minestrone too.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:18 pm UTC

Alternating 9P (@jimbob)
Spoiler:
My thinking for that was that it was as likely for scum to falseclaim as it was for a real townie to claim, as it makes perfect sense as a form of self-defence. Therefore, ignore claims as they're unlikely to be true. Not that good logic, retrospectively, but not completely nuts.

I know that that view was mainly what caused people to vote for me, but it feels like the ajh push was one more thing that helped motivate people to vote for me. That, and it's a bit embarrassing to state my view like it's a fact, and then find out I'm wrong.

Esthr

Postby Esthr » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:17 am UTC

Alternating 9P
Spoiler:
Vanilla Town here. That was fun.

No sarcasm. Once I realized I was playing with actual human beings rather than perfect logicians, the game really became more enjoyable. And it was delightfully frustrating trying to convince everyone of something I knew was true. Hopefully I'll get better at it with time.

I think I'll stick to games with longer days, though. The pressure to post insightful content everyday just doesn't work with my schedule.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:22 am UTC

Alternating (@Esthr):
Spoiler:
Glad you had fun, and thanks for joining the game. I ran this one a bit on the fast side, partly because in a game this small I didn't think there wouldn't be as much to discuss, but also because games with longer days can really drag out sometimes. Maybe a 5 or 6-day cycle might have been a little less hectic. Hope to see you in a few more games around here!
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:55 pm UTC

Alternating 9P
Spoiler:
My scum-buddy is Mathilda (surprise, surprise :lol: ).
My plan was to false-claim Cop immediately after D3 begins. Unfortunately time-zone differences are a problem and I can't stay awake any longer. Will see in the morning what can be done.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:52 am UTC

Alternating 9P:
Spoiler:
Well, I got those guesses completely wrong then. Clearly my scum hunting abilities are only effective when still alive! Sabrar has made a mistake using his fake Gojoe post in the way that he did. Usually, night results are sent immediately before day start. However, there was 25 minutes between the Gojoe post and day start, which is quite a long time with no other results to send, especially when you add in the time Sabrar would have had to think about and make the post. It remains to be seen whether anybody realises this discrepancy. With Mathilda as scum though, I suspect scum have won anyway. Even if Sabrar is correctly lynched today, Suzaku or Minestrone will be killed tonight, leaving the other to decide between Carlington and Mathilda. Unless there's any mistakes in today's play, I haven't seen anything scummy from Mathilda and plenty of townie stuff from her, so I expect the confirmed town will choose poorly. Well played scum!
BlitzGirl the Primordial

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:08 am UTC

Alternating 9P:
Spoiler:
Well, I hadn't been looking closely enough at the thread to properly scumhunt, but Mathilda would probably have been at the top of my town list. Well played, but I also noticed that Sabrar's gojoe quote has been found by Suzaku, fortunately.

I'll feel happy if we win, even if I was unable to play for most of the game.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:09 am UTC

Alternating 9P:
Spoiler:
Ha, that I think seals Sabrar as scum. Well spotted Suzaku! If town don't lynch Sabrar today, I want to be on the opposite team in any future game to any members of town who don't vote him!
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:12 am UTC

Alternating 9P
Spoiler:
I'm incredibly stupid. Way to lose the g.a.m.e on a slip like that. :(

adnapemit

Postby adnapemit » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:27 am UTC

Alternating 9P
Spoiler:
Sabrar wrote:I'm incredibly stupid. Way to lose the g.a.m.e on a slip like that. :(

Don't feel too bad. You may be lynched but I found it very entertaining. :D
Empress adnapemit "Nancy" "Time Panda"
[adnapemit|timepanda]
Does anyone actually read signatures?

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:37 am UTC

Alternating 9P
Spoiler:
So I've hammered myself partially to prevent any more discussion and to make Town's decision on D4 harder. In a perfect world Carlington should have abstained from posting if he saw my hammer but I don't fault him for going ahead anyways.
I'm extremely curious whether I could have convinced him to vote with us and now I'm never finding out. If ConMan starts the day in time I don't have to make up a fake post and likely won't slip up. Still, this is in no way the mod's fault, I should have simply been more careful.

@adnapemit: thanks, I'm not that sad, just hate losing this way. I'm not used to making such mistakes. :)

edit: and now Mathilda posts as well. :? Hopefully the others will think that it's just a newbie mistake.

Suzaku

Postby Suzaku » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:06 am UTC

Alternating
Spoiler:
Shit. Bugger. Fuck.
Didn't think scum would end it like that for 3-man LYLO D4. Shouldn't have voted. Bugger.

Be interesting to see if the remaining scum kills me or Minestrone.

My pick now: Mathilda is scum, Carlington town.
Pronouns: he/him/his > they/them/their >> it/it/its
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:28 am UTC

Alternating 9P:
Spoiler:
*Tries to mind-control Mathilda to use kill on Minestrone*. Go Suzaku go!
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:03 pm UTC

Alternating 9P
Spoiler:
Was almost worth it, just to see Suzaku's reaction. :lol:
*strangles jimbobmacdoodle in the grave to prevent mind control*

Esthr

Postby Esthr » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:02 pm UTC

Alternating 9P
Spoiler:
My scum reads were completely wrong, but it was worth it just to see this play out. Suzaku, sorry for doubting you. You're our last hope.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:35 am UTC

Alternating 9P:
Spoiler:
ConMan please hurry up and end the day, I really just want to get stuck in and defend myself already. I just need to convince whoever survives in the morning out of Minestrone and Suzaku to lynch Mathilda with me and we've won. I know I'm safe, as I'm the only townie left who hasn't been confirmed. I think my sickness on D1 and subsequent poor play is going to be our downfall, though. Mathilda has genuinely looked far more towny than I have, and me missing Sabrar's slip like I did may have sealed the deal. The smart scum play here would be to NK Suzaku, I think. There's no reason not to, and Minestrone already thinks Mathilda is the townier of the two. I'm struggling to find slips to point to. I'm going to pre-emptively apologise to town for letting scum clinch this one, just in case.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:11 am UTC

Alternating 9P
Spoiler:
For anyone wondering what happened, Mathilda *did* send in a kill. Unfortunately, it was for ajh, who is somewhat untargetable on account of having been killed by the mafia the previous night. I PM'ed her to get a new target at the same time that I set the deadline, but she didn't see the message - probably not too surprising since I think it was night time for her for pretty much the whole of that time. Obviously I should have set the deadline for longer, but having set the short time I wanted to stick to it as much as I could. She's still in a decent position in the game, and I am sorry to all the players for the confusion and discomfort caused by some of the deadline issues.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:39 am UTC

Alternating 9P:
Spoiler:
Apparently my mind control techniques need a bit of refinement, but I'm happy enough with the outcome.

So, if Mathilda can persuade one of Suzaku or Minestrone to vote Carlington we have a No Lynch (unless she can persuade them both). What happens then will be up to Mathilda, but if she decides to kill, it will be interesting to see if she goes for wine by killing her supporter. Actually, thinking about it, if she doesn't kill Suzaku, the cop will get her (or clears Carlington) leading to town victory!
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:46 am UTC

Alternating 9P
Spoiler:
So 2 days of good plays undone by 2 silly mistakes. Oh well.
@jimbobmacdoodle: scum will 100% have to kill the Cop (for reasons stated), so there should not be any wine.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:54 am UTC

Alternating 9P @Sabrar:
Spoiler:
Yeah, I forgot about the cop until after I'd typed most of that out, but left my previous thoughts in anyway. I'm not used to a) being at MYLO instead of LYLO, b) having 2 confirmed town at the same time, and c) having a useful power role left this late on!
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Return to “Mafia”