The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby ConMan » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:08 am UTC

Smalltown
Spoiler:
Dammit I just came up with the best way to hide my post restriction, but it's about 3 game days too late to do it.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:37 am UTC

Smalltown
Spoiler:
this is just painful to watch at this point
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:18 am UTC

Smalltown
Spoiler:
Znirk finally figures out the lack of mind-control on #HBC | YOLOSWAG (and his method is even more efficient than mine) but then makes a huge blunder by stating that false claiming the kill would have been risky. No, it was a perfectly safe play given that 3 of the kills could not have had claimed. This is getting very frustrating.
Madge is either scum or extremely misguided by allowing scum-results to influence her decisions.
jimbobmacdoodle seems to have given up, he posted in Draculafia and here in Gojoe but hasn't touched Smalltown. At least they won't have to put up with his wine anymore.

Echo244

Postby Echo244 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:02 pm UTC

Sungura wrote:Smalltown
Spoiler:
this is just painful to watch at this point

Spoiler:
Think of it like parenthood. You give them everything you possibly can, all the advice and wisdom you've accrued, and the time comes when they have to carry on on their own. And then without your guiding influence, they decide to get tattoos/live entirely on bacon/party all night, every night, and not show up to lectures/declare their undying love for someone who's completely uninterested/lynch the obvious townies/drink ALL the wine/make every mistake you tried to guard against.

This is one of the joys. Somehow.

Anyway. I still have hopes for Team Wolf. But I have no idea what's going on.
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

Misnomer

Postby Misnomer » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:05 pm UTC

Smalltown:
Spoiler:
Unintentionally this game seems to be becoming a propaganda tool for my own mafia philosophy: don't go trying to unpick the setup or calculating probablities etc. - until the endgame it's largely a waste of time. Town's best strategy is, and always has been, to lynch & vig the people who have been acting suspiciously.
moody7277 wrote:The role of SDK in this game will be played by Misnomer. [/soapopera]

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:35 pm UTC

smalltown
Spoiler:
Woah. What? first a successful Jesterrorist, then a member of the mafia team outing himself to attempt to get rid of another faction. Breaking all sorts of boundries here.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:51 am UTC

I'm somewhat compelled to do a 2016 US presidential mafia.

It would be beautiful.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:58 am UTC

Smalltown:

Spoiler:
I love that I've inspired a trend of trying to negotiate mafia instead of playing sneakily.

It's beautiful.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:47 am UTC

Smalltown
Spoiler:
hbc yolo wrote:identify the last alien that at least they will not win?

IF NO ONE CATCHES THIS I AM GIVING UP ALL HOPE IN EVERY TOWN PERSON LEFT.
Aliens: 0-4
Aliens dead: 2
How does he know there is one last alien?
BAM GOTCHA.
Who called it. Who called it *does happy dance*
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq

patzer

Postby patzer » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:52 pm UTC

Smalltown
Spoiler:
Sungura wrote:Smalltown
hbc yolo wrote:identify the last alien that at least they will not win?

IF NO ONE CATCHES THIS I AM GIVING UP ALL HOPE IN EVERY TOWN PERSON LEFT.
Aliens: 0-4
Aliens dead: 2
How does he know there is one last alien?
BAM GOTCHA.
Who called it. Who called it *does happy dance*

SUNGURA IS NOT GIVING UP HOPE IN THE TOWN. YAY!

I think that Town is on the right track now. Maybe. We can hope.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:15 am UTC

Smalltown
Spoiler:
Massive props to Misnomer for creating a game where, apparently, it has been in the best interests of both a jester and a werewolf to claim their alignment. It is possibly the strangest thing I've seen happen in a game. I still don't know how I'm going to achieve my win unless I somehow convince everyone to kill each other. Which I might just manage to do, given the current state of play.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Van

Postby Van » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:03 pm UTC

Smalltown:
Spoiler:

No, seriously. I have no idea how to play this today. I feel like any move I make is going to be super obvious. I feel like I have one "meta-role" for mafia, which is super-townie-town vanilla town, and anytime I'm even slightly outside of that I have no idea what to do.
Oregonaut wrote:You are a fucking idiot. (Insult.)
You say that you disapprove of sex before marriage, but you are fucking that idiot. (Ad hominem.)
You say that you disapprove of sex outside of marriage, but you are fucking your mom. (Ad mominem.)

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:56 pm UTC

Smalltown:
Spoiler:
I'm ok with dying tonight, I've decided. I'd rather that I die than Suzaku get unnursified by Madge killing Van, especially as I suspect Van to be a traitor (although others are certainly possible). Anybody spotted my breadcrumb yet? SirGabriel is planning on "accidentally stumbling" on it if he can't persuade people to lynch ConMan without it. If he gets ConMan lynched tomorrow and Madge or Yoloswag are lynched today, with us killing the other, we should be on for a win. We'd have to voteblock Roadierich for two days as well, but come D6 it would be down to 4, werewolf-SirG, and at least 1 traitor amongst the other three living players, who has to side with the wolf to win.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:33 pm UTC

Secret Santa

Spoiler:
Amy would be so proud of me. I am a townie bunny.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:44 pm UTC

Secret Santa

Spoiler:
I'm Town, delayed PGO, no other abilities. Anyone who targets me will die at the end of the next night. I don't think I will try to discourage people from targeting me directly, except if I'm really sure that the other player is townie as well.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:06 pm UTC

crucialityfactor wrote:Secret Santa

Spoiler:
Amy would be so proud of me. I am a townie bunny.

Santa
Spoiler:
:D so proud! Wonder who wrote that lol

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:08 pm UTC

Secret Santa
Spoiler:
Player - freezeblade
Role Name - Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer
Role Description - You are Rudolph, leader of Santa's herd of reindeer. Others follow your advice, even when indirectly given.
Role Abilities - Once each day you may pm the moderator the names of 2 other players; any active powers they use will be redirected onto each other, instead of their original targets, until the start of the next day.
Alignment - Town
Wincon - You win when all threats to town are eliminated.
Factional abilities - None

veryyyyy interesting. at least I'm not scum this time. that would have been...game number 10 in a row?
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:11 pm UTC

Secret Santa:
Spoiler:
COOOKIIIIEEESSSSS!!!! Apparently, I'm an inanimate object, specifically a plate of cookies. I have no idea how this allows me to vote. Or speak. Or really do anything. I am town, and my ability is that I can choose one of "kill", "investigate", "block", "protect" and "other" and get told how many actions of that type were attempted during the night.

This will help a little figuring out setup, but I'm not sure how much else it could be useful for, unless I happen to find out that more kills were attempted than succeeded. I'm tempted to go for "other" on N1, to try to figure out how much craziness there is.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:43 pm UTC

Secret Santa

Spoiler:
So I have a multi-person night action randomizer role (appropriately enough name "Game Breaker"). I am going to have to be very careful in picking targets, or I could just go nuts and enjoy the chaos. That second option doesn't sound very town though.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

Misnomer

Postby Misnomer » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:53 pm UTC

Secret Santa:
Spoiler:
crucialityfactor wrote:I was feeling that Mod's Bastard Child was probably Misnomer's role.

It's taking considerable self-restraint on my part to not now act for the rest of the game like this was actually my win condition, or at least a bonus one.

Alas, I suppose the distraction it would cause would probably count as playing against my win condition... :?
moody7277 wrote:The role of SDK in this game will be played by Misnomer. [/soapopera]

Minestrone

Postby Minestrone » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:59 pm UTC

Secret Santa:
Spoiler:
"Role: Ian the Board Game Enthusiast. You can recruit someone into your board game group (chat group) every night."
Oh that sounds like a neat, helpful town role.
"Alignment: Serial Killer"
hahahahahaha oh right the alignments were randomly assigned. This is going to be fun.
I hope I'm not too rusty from not having played in awhile. This seems like a good game to shake off the rust since it's not too serious anyway.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:09 pm UTC

Secret Santa
Spoiler:
So...I submitted the krampus role, for those playing at home.
Role I sent in wrote:•Role Name - Krampus
•Role Description - Another Christmas season approaches, and you waken from your seasonally-affected slumber. Giving coal to the bad children is so...for the birds! "Bloody coca cola" you mutter under your breath, "popularizing my "good" counterpart and plowing over my much more satisfying role in this season." Time to go through the list and find the bad children, to snatch up and take away, of course.
Every night phase, chose a player on the list of those who did not vote (the naughty list), that player will be roleblocked (because you stole them), and will also be voteless the next day (as they try to escape).
•Role Mechanics - Every night, player may chose a player to roleblock from the list of players who did not vote the previous day. the affected player also loses their vote on the next day.

Suzaku

Postby Suzaku » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:32 am UTC

moody7277 wrote:Secret Santa

Spoiler:
So I have a multi-person night action randomizer role (appropriately enough name "Game Breaker"). I am going to have to be very careful in picking targets, or I could just go nuts and enjoy the chaos. That second option doesn't sound very town though.

Still Secret Santa
Spoiler:
In the original as written, this action was compulsive :)
Pronouns: he/him/his > they/them/their >> it/it/its
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:19 am UTC

Secret Santa
Spoiler:
I got to be scumbuddies with emlightened, Madge and patzer. In a previous era I'd have been very excited to work with them and would have looked forward to put my heart into the game to make us win. Nowadays, I can't deal with a single patzer's joke that brings back all my bad memories about failing as a mafia games moderator, so after it I couldn't get hooked into the game.

I already apologized to the mod and my scumbuddies about it, now I'll apologize to all other players for the disruption I'm causing for asking for a replacement. But it was this or lurking for probably up to a week. Or... killing patzer. Oh yeah, we got daykills, I'd have loved to kill patzer over her joke. I was close. But I couldn't bring myself to do it. Years ago I'd have certainly done it, and it would have caused shock and hate and whatnot, and I'd have claimed to kill patzer to appear townie because nobody would have expected mafia to kill a scumbuddy. But that's not really a way to play the game, as losing would have been clearly my fault, and the team deserves better.

Madge

Postby Madge » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:54 am UTC

OK guys, I'm taking over Ghost III Mafia for my first attempt at modding something. Game will start in just over 24 hours so I can give people a chance to run and join Madge's First Ghost Mafia Excitement(tm), or, more likely, drop out in horror as they realise they are in very incompetant hands.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Suzaku

Postby Suzaku » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:10 am UTC

Immediate replacement needed for Secret Santa. PM me if interested, please.
Pronouns: he/him/his > they/them/their >> it/it/its
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:27 pm UTC

I'd like to replace

Van

Postby Van » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:27 pm UTC

Smalltown:
Spoiler:
Intrigue! Excitement!

Hopefully Madge kills jimbob... assuming I'm not wrong in my reads, anyway.

I think town is almost outnumbered by scum?
You say that you disapprove of sex before marriage, but you are fucking that idiot. (Ad hominem.)
You say that you disapprove of sex outside of marriage, but you are fucking your mom. (Ad mominem.)

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:48 pm UTC

Smalltown:
Spoiler:
Ok, that part of the plan has worked wonderfully! Not sure, but I suspect we had help from a couple of traitors. Now SirGabriel just needs to get ConMan lynched tomorrow and then we're home and dry. I do not expect to be alive tomorrow, but I'll be watching avidly from the sidelines.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

SDK

Postby SDK » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:11 pm UTC

Smalltown
Spoiler:
Misnomer wrote:The Alien faction has been eliminated

:(

Wish I could have done more to help. Tough game for the aliens though... 5 players remaining on Day 5... Probably the game is going to be over before the aliens would even have the opportunity to win.
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:18 pm UTC

Smalltown:
Spoiler:
Well that was unexpected. That means that Conman must be a lone wolf, or his ability means he appears scum. Given the kill count, presumably the lone wolf option. SirG needs to lynch Conman and kill Suzaku tonight, which was the existing plan.

Hmm to read spoilers or not...
BlitzGirl the Primordial

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:21 pm UTC

Smalltown(@SDK)
Spoiler:
With the huge number of kills per night, I was pretty sure it was going to be nigh-impossible for the game to even get to D6. Maybe the restriction should have been end of D5 or D4?

Misnomer

Postby Misnomer » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:32 pm UTC

Smalltown:
Spoiler:
Re: aliens it was always going to be a difficult task to a degree perhaps, though the problem was compounded by activity issues early in the game and a failure to effectively use mind control and the aliens' own abilities. Yoloswag murdering his team mate also probably didn't help, though I entirely understand why he did it.

Van

Postby Van » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:38 pm UTC

Smalltown:
Spoiler:
Holy shit, he actually did teamkill? Wow, Yeah, I never would have expected that. Super looking forward to reading spoilers later.

Madge

Postby Madge » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:45 pm UTC

Smalltown

Spoiler:
Dead at last!! Great time to die, no need to deal with the stressful endgame.

Time to read spoilers, I suppose.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:04 pm UTC

Madge wrote:OK guys, I'm taking over Ghost III Mafia for my first attempt at modding something. Game will start in just over 24 hours so I can give people a chance to run and join Madge's First Ghost Mafia Excitement(tm), or, more likely, drop out in horror as they realise they are in very incompetant hands.

Dang. I would love to see how you run a game but tomorrow we go to my parent's place for holiday things so I will just have to watch it unfold later. Good luck!
pollywog wrote:

Madge

Postby Madge » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:13 pm UTC

It's OK it's going to be a clusterfreak of me not knowing what I'm doing and considering maybe putting some factional abilities or role names into a game that really doesn't need them!

Maybe next year I'll run a survivor ORG, which will hopefully be a lot of fun. It's like everyone's a SK, only there's no kills only lynches, so you have to make deals, oh and also there's challenges you have to do that often involve flash games or writing fanfiction or something????

SDK

Postby SDK » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:23 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:Smalltown(@SDK)
Spoiler:
With the huge number of kills per night, I was pretty sure it was going to be nigh-impossible for the game to even get to D6. Maybe the restriction should have been end of D5 or D4?

Smalltown
Spoiler:
Yeah, Day 5 would have been more reasonable. Doesn't help that two of the three aliens died right away, but there were just so many kills in this game. Takes a lot of the power out of public hands since the lynch is so much less meaningful.

Aaaaand... YOLOSWAG actually did kill faubiguy? Uh... questionable choice. I think him killing every night was a mistake anyway since he made the game that much shorter. Killing his own teammate was never going to be worth it with so many factions running around.
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

dimochka
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Postby dimochka » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:28 pm UTC

Smalltown (@SDK)
Spoiler:
It was a risk, but there was very little I could've done to allay the D1 fears on faubi (at least in my opinion) so we thought it would allow him to be relatively free of suspicion as well as prevent wolves from wanting to kill him, especially with so many kills around. Well we did what we could. I'm a bit surprised at his play D4, but it is what it is.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:44 pm UTC

Smalltown @Sabrar:
Spoiler:
I hadn't given up, there just wasn't a huge amount for me to say. As outed anti-town nobody would trust me, and thanks to my night results, we were reasonably confident that we knew who the remaining scum were. We got that wrong (we lynched Yoloswag because of his ability and because other players thought he was suspicious, so was easier to lynch than Madge), but it shouldn't matter, since we know who the only remaining scum is. I wanted to keep my head down so that the lynch took out a player with a kill role.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Return to “Mafia”