The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

cemper93

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby cemper93 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:45 am UTC

NNY
Spoiler:
Stupid hard setup. We can't lynch the PRs because they're confirmed town, which means that they need to go before they're the majority... But we can't NK them either because they have a watcher and a doctor. I think we may have to kill Somi this night and hope Sabrar is a kaput watcher. If we don't, we'll run out of lynch targets real soon.
Last edited by cemper93 on Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:44 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:21 am UTC

NNY

Spoiler:
Anyone want to speculate about who's going to target who this night? I'm honestly not sure where I'd be aiming the NK as scum atm.

Aaand cemper has just said that they're going to try to kill Somi and hope that Sabrar is not a real watcher. Which should work fine, but I'd be trying to find the Doc right now... Basically staking the game on a coin flip if they go for Somi.

bessie

Postby bessie » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:21 pm UTC

Newbie New Year Mafia

Spoiler:
Madge wrote:No spoilers for bessie! :twisted:
Goshdarnit Madge, all those juicy spoilers and nothing for me me me? I hope someone is talking about me. If I actually succeeded in drawing the night kill I should be able to read them soon.

Well all right, I’m having one of my shittiest games ever. At least I hope I’m keeping Vicarin entertained. :D

So I failed my personal challenge to stop being such a woof woof, I can’t help it BoomFrog really knows how to bring out the best in me :P. But it’s not like everyone else is holding back the aggressiveness either except maybe Sabrar, he’s been quite reserved for Sabrar.
Madge wrote:Basically as PR my personal win condition is to get a useful result for town with my power; as VT my personal win condition is to be killed in the night. Those are what I consider the most "helpful" situations for me. Someone like Bessie or Sabrar probably has a personal win condition more like "catch scum in a slip" or "convince someone they're wrong", but we're all different.
I do have some other goals, but not the two you mentioned, at least not for this game. Madge, you like puzzles, I’ll let you work it out. Hint: this is wrong too.
Bond wrote:Interesting, why do you think that the most important thing to me would be proving that I am right?
Blofeld wrote:First of all, it's important to prove you are right even to yourself. You were not 100% sure PW was scum, right? Lynching him solidifies the foundation and lets you know 100% if he is scum or not and then build deductions from there. Secondly, as an effective townie you want to catch scum, and actually successfully direct the lynch onto the scum. Proving you are right to everyone about PW would help you achieve that second step with your further reads. Thirdly, proving you caught scum D1 can help prove you are town which should be important to you. Were you really near 100% sure that PW was scum and did not want to lynch him D1? I'm so confused about this issue.

Side note I’m so relieved Sabrar isn’t scum. I was holding back making a personal read on him, and now I won’t have to do that. :lol:

On the plus side, it looks like my bessie-townie-meta survived Secret Santa, so I won’t be getting lynched. Once my meta is back at full power, it should hunt down scum and destroy them all on its own. :P But until then I’m going to have to do my own scum hunting, which I’m really not very good at.

I don't have anything else for you right now Gojoe. I don't like putting too much work in during the night cycles because I enter each night with the absolute certainty that I will be killed. Well maybe I'll work on it anyway if Vicarin is interested.

Madge

Postby Madge » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:34 pm UTC

NNY @ Bessie may read

Spoiler:
I'm sorry I know you like spoilers but I was writing all that junk really quickly and nothing in any of your spoilers made me want to glom onto it and respond. :(
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:24 am UTC

NNY

Spoiler:
Welp, somitomi bites the dust. As soon as Sabrar doesn't come forward with a result, it will be pretty obvious that he's ineffective (because honestly if he targeted anyone else it's a bad play). So now the only thing the scum need to worry about is the Doctor, which apparently they still haven't figured out. Just hope they don't need to claim to get suspicion off them later.

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:42 am UTC

Spoiler:
@Wam & Suzaku
Do you guys want to link the mafia chat here so spectators can see what mafia is doing?
Or is it ok if i do it?
Last edited by Peaceful Whale on Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:06 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
My meta for future reference
Spoiler:
cemper93 wrote:Your meta appears to be "just writes whatever is on his mind and doesn't remember what happened more than five hours ago"

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:21 am UTC

NNY

@Madge
Spoiler:
Now that I know your alignment I realize that you basically got lynched for bring excited to play the game and that kinda sucks. I promise not to judge you in the future based on your enjoyment level of the game. I hope this didn't ruin things for you.

In the end, you are hard to read, and that means that when scum play well you will get lynched in an attempt at process of elimination.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

Madge

Postby Madge » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:16 am UTC

Nny @mods

Spoiler:
Thanks for the flavour :-). Next season of survivor is out in 39 days so hopefully town will be able to bust me out soon !

Nny @boomfrog may read

Spoiler:
no hard feelings, hopefully people will understand me better now seeing as I can be excited to play a fun set-up! :-D
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

bessie

Postby bessie » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:23 am UTC

Newbie New Year Mafia

Spoiler:
Damn it, whenever I try to get night killed… :|

Sorry about that Madge. You were playing so well I thought you had to be scum.

Madge wrote:I'm sorry I know you like spoilers but I was writing all that junk really quickly and nothing in any of your spoilers made me want to glom onto it and respond. :(
You will be happy to know that I did gain some very useful information from your D2 content. I followed your excellent advice in this post and just finished watching The Castle. :shock:

Madge

Postby Madge » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:47 am UTC

NNY @ bessie may read

Spoiler:
WHAAAAAT???

Did you enjoy it??? it is like............. primo Australiana. Like, that is a disturbingly accurate view of what Australians are like. When I watch it I get all... teary-eyed in a patriotic sort of way, thinking about how much I love the Australian-ness of my life, and how there's that little je ne sais quoi missing from non-Australian shows and cinema.

Another recommendation: Round the Twist, or, if you can't get it, a collection of Paul Jennings short stories. They're excellent. If you're looking for something to get from the library, the collection Unbelievable contains my personal favourite story (The Busker)

WAAAIT, I just looked on wikipedia and..........................

> In the US version, there were several minor changes to dialogue. "Rissole" was changed to "meatloaf", "two-stroke" was changed to "diesel", references to the Australian TV show Hey Hey It's Saturday were changed to the more generic Funniest Home Videos (which existed in both markets), and the brand names of the various cars in the driveway were changed from uniquely Australian cars like the Camira, to ones sold in both countries like the Corolla.

:shock:

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:53 am UTC

Newbie New Year
Spoiler:
@Madge: I'm terribly sorry. Unfortunately your 'claim' falls into the 'lying Town' category and I have a policy to lynch those. :(

In other news I have been historically unlucky as a PR so why should this game be any different? :?

Madge

Postby Madge » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:55 am UTC

Sabrar wrote:Newbie New Year
Spoiler:
@Madge: I'm terribly sorry. Unfortunately your 'claim' falls into the 'lying Town' category and I have a policy to lynch those. :(

In other news I have been historically unlucky as a PR so why should this game be any different? :?

NNY @ Sabrar may read

Spoiler:
I don't think it's a lie to softclaim PR, and I think VTs should be trying to draw the NK, so I regret nothing! (Except for being excited enough about the game that people thought I was scum :lol: )

Madge

Postby Madge » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:56 am UTC

Madge's Life Update (all may read)

Spoiler:
Since I think people were following my Job Interview Adventures, I should let you know that although I didn't get the job I actually wanted, thankfully I was informed t his past week that I was successful at my interview "for my own job" so at least now I have credit for doing a Level 5 job on my resume so I can apply for other Level 5 jobs and people can be like "oh she has done Level 5 jobs before! It's not a complete gamble!"

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:38 am UTC

Madge wrote:
Spoiler:
I don't think it's a lie to softclaim PR, and I think VTs should be trying to draw the NK, so I regret nothing!

Newbie New Year
Spoiler:
The problem is that if we allow VT-s to do that then there's nothing to prevent scum from doing the same.

Madge

Postby Madge » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:04 am UTC

Sabrar wrote:
Madge wrote:
Spoiler:
I don't think it's a lie to softclaim PR, and I think VTs should be trying to draw the NK, so I regret nothing!

Newbie New Year
Spoiler:
The problem is that if we allow VT-s to do that then there's nothing to prevent scum from doing the same.

NNY

Spoiler:
... yeah I'm okay with softclaiming PR being a null tell on townie if it makes it harder for scum to pick a target.

Just in case we're using the same word to mean different things, I mean "softclaim" as in, you talk from that point of view and hope that someone picks up on it subconsciously. Not that you more or less state "I'm a power role". I probably went a bit too far with my softclaim this game.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:09 am UTC

Madge wrote:
Spoiler:
Just in case we're using the same word to mean different things, I mean "softclaim" as in, you talk from that point of view and hope that someone picks up on it subconsciously. Not that you more or less state "I'm a power role". I probably went a bit too far with my softclaim this game.

Newbie New Year
Spoiler:
Now I understand you better. Yes, I think you went too far with that.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:12 am UTC

NNY (partly @Madge)

Spoiler:
So, the big question is, will there be a successful Doc save N3? If so, giving town another mislynch should allow for all these suspicions to be sorted out. If not, D4 should probably be a NL, and then it's going to be reaaaally interesting to see if town can find out who the scum is. As long as the Doc remains hidden, then the chances are really good, but I wonder if they'll have to claim today...

And yeah, Madge, if we respect a softclaimed PR, then it gives scum wayyyy too much space to hide. The whole point of pointing at people who were very suspicious and about to get lynched was to force clear claims out of them, and you doing the softclaim made you look incredibly scummy when all the info-gathering PRs got outed.

If you're a VT and want to draw the NK, you probably want to try to drive the discussion so that it's easier for the scum to hide if they just go and NK you. Or you can just repeatedly say Doctor, which is how I apparently died this game. Doctor Doctor Doctor. Me talking about all the NL stuff and how it related to the Doctor made them think I was the Doctor (according to PW, haven't seen their chat), so just do that. :D

bessie

Postby bessie » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:33 am UTC

Newbie New Year Mafia @Madge

Spoiler:
Madge wrote:Did you enjoy it??? it is like............. primo Australiana. Like, that is a disturbingly accurate view of what Australians are like. When I watch it I get all... teary-eyed in a patriotic sort of way, thinking about how much I love the Australian-ness of my life, and how there's that little je ne sais quoi missing from non-Australian shows and cinema.

Well worth the $2.99 rental on Amazon, now I regret not just buying it for $7.99. I don’t watch a lot of comedies, and I enjoy very few of the ones I do watch, but I liked that one. If I have time I’ll watch it again before my 48 hour rental period expires (I usually need to watch something twice before I can comprehend it or form an opinion, first time for an overview, second time for detail).

I watched the US version with the meatloaf (I wouldn’t have been familiar with the word rissole). The change from two-stroke to diesel was odd though, but perhaps they thought Americans wouldn’t know what a two-stroke engine was either, they haven’t been sold in the US probably since the 1970s? There were some other terms, probably slang terms, that I didn’t know, but that’s like in every movie so whatever. If I catch any of them in my second viewing I’ll look them up.

This is downright remarkable:
Wikipedia wrote: According to Santo Cilauro, the film took five weeks from original inception to final cut. The movie was written in two weeks, shot in ten days and taken to rough cut in two weeks.
From conception to shooting in two weeks? I don’t even know if you can get a film permit in California in less than 2 weeks.

Suzaku

Postby Suzaku » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:49 am UTC

Not spoiled due to being chat about movies, rather than the game:
The Castle was made, I believe, in order to fund a movie called The Dish, which is an absolute must watch. Like seriously, go watch it.
Pronouns: he/him/his > they/them/their >> it/it/its
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.

bessie

Postby bessie » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:55 am UTC

Um, how many of us are actually talking about The Castle and not about Newbie New Year Mafia in those spoilers?

Ok, added The Dish to my watch list.

Madge

Postby Madge » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:03 am UTC

I've not seen The Dish either! Whoops. I'll add it to my list too.

I love how Bessie needs to watch movies twice to have a real opinion :lol: That's so Bessie!

I'd be curious which slang terms you struggled with. I'm sure it's chokkas with 'em! I haven't watched The Castle for a few years so it's not at front of my mind.

The Castle spoiler

Spoiler:
But anyway, think of me as the Kerrigan family lawyer and you're the big-shot solicitor who teams up with me :lol: I'm just standing there fumbling about "the vibe" of the constitution and then you come and cite the exact article number and save my butt!

wam

Postby wam » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:25 am UTC

Not seen the castle but the dish is amazing!
Come join us playing mafia signup here

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:23 pm UTC

Newbie New Year
Spoiler:
So I'm ineffective but hopefully scum doesn't know it yet (because I told how Cop should behave if they receive a guilty result and it also applies to Watcher). Whoever killed somitomi must be the sacrificial lamb, expected to be caught. This means that the last scum will be probably bussing them heavily today, therefore I can discount (for today at least) anyone who is not attacked. Seeing that BoomFrog and jimbob (and maybe bessie) are going after LaserGuy makes me feel much more certain in him. cemper is attacking flicky but they did it from the beginning when such concerns were not in place.
And that's the kind of meta-read that often gets me in trouble.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:52 pm UTC

NNY

Spoiler:
This is looking worse and worse by the minute. Laserguy is looking like a likely mislynch today, and BoomFrog might need to claim today,
though he could try to force everyone to choose between him and one of the scum in LYLO. Problem is, it's looking like he'll lose that fight. A least he'd have one last chance N3 to try to get a save.

It'd also help a bunch if VTs would stop doing stuff that's so damn suspicious! You're town, act like it!

Oh Sabrar, you poor, poor, ineffective Watcher, it's entirely likely that they know that's what you'd expect anyway. Or they could just be betting on you being ineffective.

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:54 pm UTC

NNY
Spoiler:
Actually hari was going crazy becuase he thought Sabrar had seen him...
Then he calmed down...
Poor Hari. :P
Spoiler:
cemper93 wrote:Your meta appears to be "just writes whatever is on his mind and doesn't remember what happened more than five hours ago"

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:08 pm UTC

NNY (a bit @mods)

Spoiler:
Oh man, that's kinda funny. I wonder who I would have thought had a better time making it to the end in this situation... Sabrar is acting the correct way for getting a guilty result as watcher though, so he shouldn't calm down yet. I had a bit of a different plan if I'd found someone as cop, but turns out it was completely irrelevant anyway.

I still kinda want to see scumchat for stuff like that. Suzaku and wam, you reading these?
Ok if the scumchat is linked in a spoiler?

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:29 pm UTC

Madge wrote:Madge's Life Update (all may read)

Spoiler:
Since I think people were following my Job Interview Adventures, I should let you know that although I didn't get the job I actually wanted, thankfully I was informed t his past week that I was successful at my interview "for my own job" so at least now I have credit for doing a Level 5 job on my resume so I can apply for other Level 5 jobs and people can be like "oh she has done Level 5 jobs before! It's not a complete gamble!"
Should I offer congratulations in keeping your old job or commiserations on not getting that other job?
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Madge

Postby Madge » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:58 pm UTC

Also - it's not even a case of keeping my current job. I would have kept it if I had failed the interview. Just to make it even more of a "weird Australian government job application" thing :roll:

But now I get a tiny pay rise ($15 a week) this year, and a year from now, if I manage not to go completely off the deep end, I'll get a pay rise that is actually more consistent with general yearly payrises.

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:50 pm UTC

NNY
Spoiler:
Hari who is aperently not boomfrog wrote:@Bessie, I was referring to later on D1. Also with regard to the one off remark, that isn't correct. PW thought I was BoomFrog in Halloween.

I actually did for the longest time. He seemed very boomfroggy to me. :P
Spoiler:

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:18 pm UTC

Newbie New Year:
Spoiler:
Is LaserGuy trying to subtly hint he's the doctor? His posts linked for "context" talk an awful lot about Madge, and the need for the doctor to counter-claim here. Probably not - I think I'm overthinking things.

Also, I'm beginning to run out of scum options. Would one of you spectators please send me a psychic message to indicate who the scum are and which players I'm wrong about.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:09 pm UTC

NNY

Spoiler:
Oh god town seems so hilariously screwed at the moment. Main thing I'm hoping for is the NK narrowing down suspicions a bunch to the correct people. Or maybe they'll accidentally get blocked by the Doc. That would be great.

I still think people should guess more about why I got NKed apart from 'I guess he breadcrumbed cop', but oh well. Somitomi dying was pretty obvious at least, but tonight's victim should be interesting, assuming Sabrar is protected.

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:31 pm UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:Newbie New Year:
Spoiler:
Would one of you spectators please send me a psychic message to indicate who the scum are and which players I'm wrong about.

NNY (jimbob may NOT read)

Spoiler:
... nope! :lol:

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:10 pm UTC

NNY @Madge

Spoiler:
Now that's just cruel. You have any ideas what's going to happen D3/N3? LaserGuy lynch maybe?

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:12 pm UTC

NNY
Spoiler:
Is there any chance that I won't be lynched today? Probably not.

I'm about 90% sure jimbob is scum. I'm feeling jim/Boom right now, but outside chance of cemper/jim.

So if LaserGuy is always wrong, mafia is Hari/flicky :roll: Curious to see if my vote analysis is actually successful at catching any scum. I've never tried this before. Hopefully I can leave Town with something useful to work with going into MYLO.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:30 am UTC

Newbie New Year
Spoiler:
I'm fairly certain that both scum can be found in {BoomFrog, jimbob, LaserGuy}. Now do I want to do something completely stupid or not? :D

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:47 am UTC

NNY

Spoiler:
Let me just pull out my popcorn while Sabrar tries to throw the game because he's read people incorrectly. Which seems to be what town is doing this game.

I had actually contemplated faking cop results later on in the game if I thought I was naive but you know, I died, so it didn't matter. Looks like it's time for Sabrar to fake Watching! Could be kind of hilarious if he tries to accuse BoomFrog and outs him, but I'm pretty sure this kills town.

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:21 am UTC

Vicarin wrote:NNY

Spoiler:
Let me just pull out my popcorn while Sabrar tries to throw the game because he's read people incorrectly. Which seems to be what town is doing this game.

I had actually contemplated faking cop results later on in the game if I thought I was naive but you know, I died, so it didn't matter. Looks like it's time for Sabrar to fake Watching! Could be kind of hilarious if he tries to accuse BoomFrog and outs him, but I'm pretty sure this kills town.

Spoiler:
I wonder what would happen.....................
Who will die? Sabrar or boom? Neither? Would Sabrar have to admit to lying?
Spoiler:

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:59 am UTC

NNY
Peaceful Whale wrote:
Spoiler:
I wonder what would happen.....................
Who will die? Sabrar or boom? Neither? Would Sabrar have to admit to lying?

Spoiler:
If he tried to accuse Boom, all Boom needs to do is claim Doctor in order to get out of it, because scum counterclaiming at this point would still be pretty bad for scum. So neither would be lynched, but then it's pretty obvious that Sabrar is ineffective, so Boom dies instantly overnight. If he accuses anyone else, they're probably toast.

I guess if Sabrar was REALLY crazy, he could force Boom to claim, and then say that 2 people targeted Somitomi, implying that BoomFrog is ineffective, and implicating someone else (this requires BoomFrog to not instantly go 'I didn't target Somitomi' in the beginning, and instead realize what Sabrar is up to and play along). He'd probably accuse the wrong person, so that would lead to a hilarious mislynch, but maybe scum would try to kill Sabrar over BoomFrog and he'd be able to get a save?

Basically, there's a reaaaally good reason why town shouldn't try to lie unless they want to be almost single-handedly responsible for throwing the game.

Suzaku

Postby Suzaku » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:29 pm UTC

NNY
Spoiler:
If you need a single axiom to help you out with playing mafia, you could do a lot worse than, “Good townies don’t lie”.

There are times and circumstances where it might be acceptable, or even appropriate, but in general, and especially in vanilla games, it’s very rarely a good idea.
Pronouns: he/him/his > they/them/their >> it/it/its
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:44 am UTC

NNY

Spoiler:
A quiet town is a town that is going to lose. And this town is so very, very quiet.

Return to “Mafia”