The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Madge

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Madge » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:23 am UTC

This topic reply notification bug has been going on for like a month and is really affecting my ability to enjoy the forum (because it's how I remember to check mafia). Is there... like an admin we should PM to get this sorted somehow??? Because I'm not sure I'm willing to commit to a game without topic reply notifications (unless I can add RSS for threads?)
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

#HBC | Zyth

Postby #HBC | Zyth » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:39 am UTC

I PMed davean, Belial, and gmalivuk yesterday. The other admins seem inactive. The rules say to message the admins if there are registration difficulties so I did. Nothing so far.

bessie

Postby bessie » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:57 am UTC

Hopefully davean will see the posts in Site/Forum Issues or maybe he will receive your message and fix the issue soon.

I almost changed my password last week. :shock: I am so relieved that I am so lazy.

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:39 am UTC

Hopefully it will work.

Otherwise, what... do we... tweet at Randall Munroe or something? :|
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:02 am UTC

Fridge:
Spoiler:
I think scum's best chance to win is this:
-Roleblock flicky
-Kill flicky
-Endgame is Sabrar, PW, and bessie, no lovers.
-Cross fingers that Sabrar is suspicious enough of the night result to vote for bessie.

I think it's a long shot, but very few of the other scenarios lead to any plausible chance of winning for scum.

[edit]Actually, leaving Sabrar/PW as lovers might even be better for wine, assuming that mechanic procs before the kill.

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:06 pm UTC

Fridge:
Spoiler:
scum's lost, huery's been pretty inactive, I don't blame him. However I think flicky is too suspicious of me for our original plan to work...

I don't think this is going to work. Maybe if we killed Sabar? Would that make us look even scummier? Or what if we killed flicky? Or me? Wait, never mind, we'd lose :P

Sabar and me were the only ones left, would Sabar suspect Bessie?

This is what I sent to huery:
Any ideas? I'm not so sure about roleblocking flicky, can we just kill them instead? What if we roleblocked Sabar? Then he'd be really suspicious. Right?

Or maybe we kill Sabar, can we spin it so flicky will be suspicious of Bessie?

I don't think our plan is going to work, flicky hates me too much.

But Bessie's role does kinda seem weird, getting the knowledge of your predecessor? That no night kill could have been some weird shinsgins. To make her look townie and farther strengthen her chance of wining. And then not hammering Huey.....................................

I'm think of marking Bessie look like scum... and then roleblocking Sabar, I wonder if you don't have a power you still get the roleblocked PM

I need huery to respond, I don't like doing this myself... deadlines almost here. :(
My meta for future reference
Spoiler:
cemper93 wrote:Your meta appears to be "just writes whatever is on his mind and doesn't remember what happened more than five hours ago"

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:06 pm UTC

Fridge:
Spoiler:
PW has good instincts.

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:35 pm UTC

Fridge:
Spoiler:
I feel like I'm going to be hammered while I'm away. :P or come back to a Bessie:Sabar stalemate.
Spoiler:
cemper93 wrote:Your meta appears to be "just writes whatever is on his mind and doesn't remember what happened more than five hours ago"

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:43 pm UTC

Fridge
Spoiler:
If we win... it's so unlikely, but as I've reread, I think Sabar is suspicious of Bessie, I'm trying to build on that. All I need is one vote on Bessie, and we win. It's all up to Sabar now, and he knows it. I think deep down he knows I'm too nooby to make this such a tense LYLO. I'm hoping he realize what I've done and assume Bessie did this.
Spoiler:

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:07 pm UTC

Fridge
Spoiler:
Well played, Whale. I was fooled right up until role claims.
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)

#HBC | Zyth

Postby #HBC | Zyth » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:34 pm UTC

Madge wrote:Hopefully it will work.

Otherwise, what... do we... tweet at Randall Munroe or something? :|
I'm not inspired with confidence that the admins will take care of this in a timely manner unfortunately. I'm sure davean can take care of it as he has done the same for others before, but it seems he hasn't posted in a couple of months. This isn't a difficult problem to fix for those with administrator capabilities.

I'm gonna give Fridge mafia time to near its end and see if anyone else signs up. If this still hasn't been resolved by the time we're trying to get the game going, I'll ask you guys to join my forum. Signing up is quick and painless and our forum software is pretty robust.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:44 pm UTC

Have you tried sending a PM to SecondTalon? I'm sure I've seen her around in the last day or so.

#HBC | Zyth

Postby #HBC | Zyth » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:02 pm UTC

Indeed he has. Not sure if Prelates can handle this but I sent one his way and emailed the administration through the "Contact Us" message at the bottom of the board index.

Madge

Postby Madge » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:02 am UTC

Peaceful whale has claimed they are still getting emails. I've tried signing up for a new account with a non-gmail email address in case it was a gmail thing and everyone coincidentally was a gmail member, but I found something interesting in the user sign up list:

memberlist.php?start=400650

The newest user is from the 20th of July, even though there's a steady pattern of multiple new users per day until then.

This is also the date on my most recent forum email.

I think this is pretty compelling evidence of an email fault, if we needed more.

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:53 am UTC

#HBC | Zyth wrote:If this still hasn't been resolved by the time we're trying to get the game going, I'll ask you guys to join my forum.

For the record: While I would obviously prefer the convenience of playing on the forum I was going to visit anyway, I have no problem at all with that backup plan.

Madge

Postby Madge » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:19 pm UTC

It looks like the accounts have been manually approved, so they can hopefully login now, but the emails are still not working :(

#HBC | YOLOSWAG

Postby #HBC | YOLOSWAG » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:08 pm UTC

Yeah, our accounts are fine now, but it seems the email situation's still jacked up.

We can at least move forward with the game now.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:29 pm UTC

Fridge Mafia
Spoiler:
I just realized I won't be on at deadline again. However, this time things are much simpler. If someone volunteers to be "co-mod". I will write the two possible endings and then you post whichever one is appropriate. All I need is someone who will be on at 11am PDT Saturday, and can count to two. PM me if interested.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:51 am UTC

Fridge Mafia:
Spoiler:
Just finished catching up, and partially based on heury's flip, but ignoring everything else entirely, I'm willing to bet good money that PeacefulWhale is the other scum, purely because I bet his role name is "Bad Apple", or similar. It's too obvious a pun to miss, with Sour Grapes being another option!
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:39 pm UTC

Fridge mafia.
Spoiler:
GG
Spoiler:

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:40 pm UTC

GG
Spoiler:

#HBC | YOLOSWAG

Postby #HBC | YOLOSWAG » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:02 pm UTC

I see Fridge Mafia is over, thank you for informing me BoomFrog.

Crossover Mafia will PROBABLY start sometime either next week or the first week of September. I will have a hard answer for y'all by the end of the weekend as I wait to hear back from them.

Just so everyone knows, scum will have daychat and flips will be posted immediately before Night.

If anyone reading this is on the fence, I encourage ya to give it a shot. Overswarm (dude who made this) has had some memorable setups in the past and we have a pleasant bunch participating in this, minus that Maven guy (this is a joke). I'm really looking forward to seeing how everyone meshes.

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:06 pm UTC

Statistically I won't be mafia again!!! :D
Spoiler:

bessie

Postby bessie » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:32 pm UTC

YOLOSWAG, looking forward to the game!

OK everyone, if you're thinking about signing up for the crossover game, please do so this weekend! I'm sure Overswarm has something clever planned, and it would be nice if we could get a few more players so that the mods don't need to rework the setup too much. We don't have very many large games, so don't let this opportunity pass!

YOLOSWAG, may I suggest that if the game starts this week, D1 is extended for the holiday weekend? Also, maybe include something in the rules explaining the Gojoe thread? I know Bard mentioned that he didn't know what the Gojoe thread was for until after Shakespeare mafia was over, and that he would have had fun leaving spoilers as he was playing.

Madge

Postby Madge » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:27 am UTC

Also if we need more accounts signed up and don't want to wait for manual approvals, I believe we still have those star trek themed accounts from past games where people played anonymously? Those could be used if we still have login info for them. I believe I got access to one at one point, but it looks like searching PMs is very very hard?

#HBC | YOLOSWAG

Postby #HBC | YOLOSWAG » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:06 pm UTC

I appreciate the enthusiasm bessie. Yeah, I'll explain Gojoe and consider the holiday.

Madge, that would be great. I have 3 people I'm trying to get on the forum. If anyone has a spare account and wants to help out, feel free to send me login info.

Also, all role pms are done and so is the ruleset.

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:16 pm UTC

I can make a spare acount, it will be called Peaceful Whale's Servant though, is that okay?
Spoiler:

plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby plytho » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:18 pm UTC

Peaceful Whale wrote:I can make a spare acount, it will be called Peaceful Whale's Servant though, is that okay?

Making a spare account won't work. New accounts don't get confirmation emails.
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:32 pm UTC

... that explains why I haven't gotten it yet... I was wondering. So, how would you make a spare acount? Ask the moderators? Or wait for the bug to be fixed?
Spoiler:

plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby plytho » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:36 pm UTC

New spare accounts aren't useful. The new players could just make their own accounts. If there are people with existing spare accounts that would be useful since they don't need to be confirmed.
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:05 pm UTC

Aww... but what if I want two accounts?
Spoiler:

bessie

Postby bessie » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:56 pm UTC

Thanks Madge, if you have a spare account if might be helpful to have it available. Of course it would be nice if we can get everyone registered under the name they want to use.

I see Dark Horse has been approved. If he can’t post yet it is probably because he still needs post approval. New members, please make five posts in this thread. Until you have at least 5 posts your account will have some restrictions, and you won’t be able to post without moderator approval or post links.

If there are any Smashboarders still waiting for their accounts to be approved, please let YOLOSWAG/marshy know so that he can contact SecondTalon.

Ok everyone, we still have six spaces available! Don't miss out!

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:23 am UTC

I'm disappointed that I'll miss out on this one, but the first ten days or so of September just don't work at all for me.

Julian Bashir

Postby Julian Bashir » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:52 am UTC

Madge here! I still have access to this account. And despite having a DS9 character as its name,at least it's not something obviously Star Trekky, so maybe someone wouldn't object to using it?

Anyone who was in DS9 SS Mafiawill have login info for an account.

Player list:

firesoul31
BigNose
Lataro
Djehutynakht
Xenomortis
Adam H
moody7277
mpolo
lynx
Madge
Just_me
Snark

Looks like... moody, mpolo, and maybe if DJ is he lurking about the place might be able to help with a few more accounts?

The role PM for this account was received on Dec 6 2013, so that should help you find it if you didn't delete it.

Or we can wait on SecondTalon.

Let me know who to PM the login details to.

Madge

Postby Madge » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:54 am UTC

Also I just read the thread and I'll PM the login info to YOLOSWAG.

Just ask that whoever uses the account doesn't change the password, unless they decide to keep it permanently I guess rather than just temporarily until the signups are easier. Not that these 4 year old anonymising accounts are a good idea or not.

Of course whoever it is is welcome to change the avatar :P

bessie

Postby bessie » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:28 am UTC

NO ONE SHOULD BE CHANGING THEIR PASSWORD UNTIL THE EMAIL ISSUE IS FIXED! That's how YOLOSWAG got locked out of his account (he didn't get the confirmation email).

LaserGuy wrote:I'm disappointed that I'll miss out on this one, but the first ten days or so of September just don't work at all for me.
And I was so looking forward to night killing you. :D

But seriously, I appreciate your willingness to be a replacement. Hopefully we won't need you but real life happens.

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:30 am UTC

Hopefully we will always need you, Laserguy.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

You can learn to levitate with just a little help.

:idea: = Surprised Cyclops

Worf

Postby Worf » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:42 am UTC

Qapla'

password available if needed.

Madge

Postby Madge » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:52 am UTC

bessie wrote:NO ONE SHOULD BE CHANGING THEIR PASSWORD UNTIL THE EMAIL ISSUE IS FIXED!

:shock: riight. good point.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:09 am UTC

bessie wrote:
LaserGuy wrote:I'm disappointed that I'll miss out on this one, but the first ten days or so of September just don't work at all for me.

And I was so looking forward to night killing you. :D

But seriously, I appreciate your willingness to be a replacement. Hopefully we won't need you but real life happens.

I don't see why you'd ever use your vig kill on me. I'm Town, same as you :P

I figure with a game this size there's a decent chance that I'll end up having to step in at some point, but you never know. Not sure how I'll be able to deal with not playing AND not reading the spoilers though :shock: Otherwise, maybe I'll convince some of the dead players to do a quick game while you guys finish up.

Return to “Mafia”