The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby plytho » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:36 pm UTC

Fridge mafia

Spoiler:
I've deciced to drop my second goal. I think generally it's better if I don't communicate. If I communicate now there's a trace to be found if I die later in the game. Best case: I target bessie tonight and join mafia chat. Worse case: I'm the night kill target and join mafia chat with one more town to beat. Worst case: I'm wrong about bessie and have to start looking for my team elsewhere. Absolute worst case: I get lynched and none of this is relevant.

I'm thinking Znirk might be the second scum since he was talking about a mechanic with players looking for each other.

I think flicky is starting to look like a good lynch candidate. I don't think he's bessie's teammate, although he is answering questions for her here. hmm..

I'm really enjoying this role!
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

bessie

Postby bessie » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:43 am UTC

Fridge Mafia
Spoiler:
Good evening, Gojoe thread! Well, town again. Last Wednesday I glanced at the forum at work and saw the game started, but I was too busy to log in and read my role pm. And since my email notifications aren’t working, I had no idea how many emails I received from BoomFrog. So for a couple of glorious hours I could imagine that maybe I was mafia with Sabrar, but alas, it was not meant to be. I got home, logged in, saw one pm notification, and knew I didn’t have chat with anyone.

This is not to say that I don’t like playing town. I actually hate being scum. As frequent readers of this thread know, the” removing someone from the game part” has always been quite difficult for me, and I struggle with it as scum. I even have difficulty as town with the lynch. And this aversion is only aggravated by the whole “killing” aspect (hey Madge, I still very much appreciate what you did with Secret Santa 2016 and how people just left and didn’t die, and didn’t Deva have a game like that too?). I won’t rehash it now, search bessie’s posts if interested. Anyway, my dilemma with always playing town is not because I have some blood-lust and a desire to kill, it's that I feel I’m not improving as a player because I rarely get to play from another perspective. And the games where I have been mafia haven’t really helped me much to sharpen my skills. My first game as mafia I had daychat with Lawrencelot, SDK, and Madge, three of the cleverest and most devious players on this forum. A total clueless newbie could have pulled that one off and looked like an expert. SDK told me what to write and Madge proofread my posts. In one game I replaced Vytron as mafia so I was pretty much already dead. And WoT1 had issues; I don’t know why Sabrar keeps bringing it up as an example of my scum game. I guess because there’s not much else.

I really really want LaserGuy to be town. I wonder if that is influencing my read. If LaserGuy is town it will give me some hope that there’s not some greater force out there that has predetermined our alignments for all eternity. :wink:

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:09 am UTC

Refrigerator Mafia
Spoiler:
At BoomFrog: Reread Peaceful Whale’s distinct apple mention. Brought grapefruit to mind.

_________

Non-killing aspect: Correct. Smashed or tampered with their Tamagotchas. Thought of lighter themes because of what you said. Creates more variety too.

Tied vote discussion: Meta Thread Page 26.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:47 am UTC

Fridge
Spoiler:
Oh, my first time as town getting wrongly cased! How exciting!

Is Sabrar mafia? Sabrar/plytho is looking really good to me right now.

[edit]I'll have to see how this goes and maybe make a change to my play. I normally don't respond to people's scum reads to me (as scum) for fear of looking too defensive. My immediate reaction as town is righteous indignation. We'll see which works better :D

plytho

Postby plytho » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:02 am UTC

Fridge:

Spoiler:
I may have gone too far with all that :( I just couldn't stop before it was cleared up. I'm starting to look like a viable lynch target :shock:
Current goal: avoid the lynch. Because if I get lynched town knows they're looking for 3 scum. Not sure if that's revealed if another scum dies.

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:29 pm UTC

Fridge:

Spoiler:
I'm pretty sure plytho is our third mafia...
I hope I can push on this and get him lynched. Only problem is boomfrog has told us if he is lynched, it will be revealed that he was the 3rd.

To those who don't know, the third mafia is trying to get killed by mafia so they become spoiled. Kinda like a jester. And if mafia kills them they get a new member.
My meta for future reference
Spoiler:
cemper93 wrote:Your meta appears to be "just writes whatever is on his mind and doesn't remember what happened more than five hours ago"

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:29 pm UTC

Fridge:

Spoiler:
I'm pretty sure plytho is our third mafia...
I hope I can push on this and get him lynched. Only problem is boomfrog has told us if he is lynched, it will be revealed that he was the 3rd.

To those who don't know, the third mafia is trying to get killed by mafia so they become spoiled. Kinda like a jester. And if mafia kills them they get a new member.
Spoiler:
cemper93 wrote:Your meta appears to be "just writes whatever is on his mind and doesn't remember what happened more than five hours ago"

plytho

Postby plytho » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:00 pm UTC

Fridge:

Spoiler:
I'm still convinced bessie is scum btw. I don't know who her buddy could be. I also think more posts in Gojoe makes me seem more townie. I have no-one to talk to!
Btw, if I was townie I think I'd still be pushing that point.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:56 pm UTC

Fridge:
Spoiler:
I'm probably pushing too hard. If I'm wrong about plytho/Sabrar, I'll probably end up picking up a mislynch pretty quickly. Oh well. This is way more fun :D

My hope of being so townie that I'd get nightkilled is probably out the window, I suppose. Maybe I'll get lucky and Sabrar is the vig, which will let us cross-confirm each other.

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:36 pm UTC

Fridge

Spoiler:
that new reads list took a lot of time ... I just hope I'm wrong enough about who is scum to not be perceived as a threat and night killed right away.
Hey, some of us have night actions to perform.

plytho

Postby plytho » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:33 am UTC

Fridge:
Spoiler:
It looks like I'm going to get lynched for the first time.
Sorry buddies. I got carried away. I'm still hoping bessie knew exactly what she was doing, trying to get town!plytho lynched.

I mentioned I didn't have chat twice, maybe scum!bessie picked that up when she thanked me for reminding people. Especially when I replied with "you're welcome".

Hmm, can I still save my skin? I don't think I can build a solid case against one of the lurkers. Maybe heuristically_alone is a good alternative to me. I don't think there's enough to lynch flicky and I don't feel like Sabrar's case on LaserGuy is getting any traction. Also I've been arguing against it for a while, so switching now looks very suspicious.

I also think I don't have the credibility right now to lead a case against someone without it looking suspicious. I feel like I need someone else to make a case I can support.

plytho

Postby plytho » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:32 pm UTC

Fridge:

Spoiler:
Ok, flicky seems like my best shot.
People voting for me:
-Peaceful Whale
-LaserGuy
-bessie
People that expressed a willingness to vote for me instead of their current target:
-Sabrar
-flicky
Total: 5

People voting for flicky:
-plytho
People that expressed a willingness to vote for flicky instead of their current target:
-Znirk
-moody
Total: 3

lurking all the way: heury. If I can convince heury and one of the plytho voters to vote flicky I might make it. Problem is I don't think I'll convince heury, he's been trying to make some points against me. Convincing the others is similarly hard. I can't imagine convincing Sabrar or LaserGuy. Peaceful Whale seems pretty adamant as well. Obviously flicky won't vote for himself. So the only person left is bessie and I have no idea what her reads list looks like, waiting for the latest possible moment (as scum would) to write it.

Bah!

Maybe focusing on heury is the best way to go. There seems to be more dirt on him than on flicky.

[breaking news]Hmm, flicky won't be around anymore: good or bad?

If I can get 4 votes on flicky one of the people voting for me has to switch. It's more likely one of the people voting for flicky will switch.

Let's go for heury then. I don't think the numbers are much better there though :(

My last shot is trying to signal bessie that I'm the recruit, hoping she'll switch here vote. Either way, if I get lynched they'll be looking for that communication, not from my side but from the other two. The only new information from me signaling bessie is that I genuinly think she's scum but I don't think that'll convince anyone.

Ooh! Sabrar's on my side! Good for numbers either way.
@Sabrar: despite the fact that I am scum this game,
The more time passes the more I'm convinced that plytho would be a mislynch.
this hits the nail on the head. Thanks for that, it's nice to feel understood.

Hmm, flicky or heury.

I'll let others decide.

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:50 pm UTC

Fridge
Spoiler:
Unless I change my mind again (or die before morning), I'll be investigating Sabrar. Not because of much preexisting suspicion, but because I don't think I'll ever get a good read on him by conventional means.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:22 pm UTC

Fridge
Spoiler:
Znirk wrote:that new reads list took a lot of time ... I just hope I'm wrong enough about who is scum to not be perceived as a threat and night killed right away.
Mafia Chat wrote:I've changed my vote [for kill target] to znrick, he's on to us...
:lol:
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:29 pm UTC

Fridge @plytho (to read after the lynch is finalized):
Spoiler:
I'm not going to touch the "someone is wrong on the internet" obsession, but FYI the actually townie response to being the lynch target is, "Oh well, I'm going to die I guess. Here's my D2 analysis of the lynch since I won't be alive D2 to present it, and I already know the outcome of the lynch." or "Hey, X is probably scum because of Y." not "Hey, would you lynch X instead of me please?"
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

plytho

Postby plytho » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:50 pm UTC

Fridge:
Spoiler:
Haha how wrong was I :D
Way to go Peaceful Whale. Topping those townie lists keep up the good work. Go team.
Sorry heuristically_alone for trying to lynch you in the end.

@ BoomFrog Thanks for the tips. This was the first time multiple people were voting for me.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:57 pm UTC

Deva wrote:Refrigerator Mafia
Spoiler:
At BoomFrog: Reread Peaceful Whale’s distinct apple mention. Brought grapefruit to mind.

Fridge
Spoiler:
I didn't even think of that. That was a good time. I should have reread pokemafia for inspiration for fun roles.

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:23 pm UTC

Fridge
Spoiler:
BoomFrog wrote:
Znirk wrote:that new reads list took a lot of time ... I just hope I'm wrong enough about who is scum to not be perceived as a threat and night killed right away.
Mafia Chat wrote:I've changed my vote [for kill target] to znrick, he's on to us...
:lol:

Aww. And I was so happy to be right in the middle of most town/scum lists.

Edit. By the way:
Znirk wrote:
Sabrar wrote:People summarizing the content of others in their read-list instead of giving actual reasons why that specific content is townie/scummy. You can generate a lot of unnecessary content that way and all players are expected to read the thread anyway so should be aware of what others said.

Now that makes sense. OK; but the summary in and of itself is not the point of such a post (I'm pointing out what sticks out to me, rather than all of what they said). So the information is in the selection of material. You seem to have a more analytical approach which would admittedly be better served with a more explicit, less rambly post, but that's partly a question of style and partly a matter of time constraints in writing posts.

This was a virtually content-free post. It's pure breadcrumb: if you read just the capitals and parentheses, it reads NO(I)SY. I was nosy, as in an investigator role, and noisy, as in noisy.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:43 pm UTC

Fridge
Spoiler:
Yay! We lynched scum (sort of).

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:36 pm UTC

Fridge mafia
Spoiler:
@plytho
I'm so sorry!!! :( Wasn't sure if you were our third guy!!! Oh well, now I look townie.
Spoiler:

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:16 am UTC

Fridge Mafia
Spoiler:
So plytho did end up being mafia, like we had speculated in our chat that he may have been trying to hint at 3 scum. Everyone being told though that scum team didnt know who he was makes me sad though.
Oh well. Probably makes the game more fair. @plytho sorry to take you out. Also, Bessie has a dangerous role right now (thank you rolecop ability), so goodbye tonight bessie.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

You can learn to levitate with just a little help.

:idea: = Surprised Cyclops

bessie

Postby bessie » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:17 am UTC

Fridge Mafia
Spoiler:
Znirk wrote:by Grabthar's ha....rk

…you shall be avenged.

By me. Because I’m you now, Znirk. I’m the backup, and I not only got your role, I got your result. Hmm, seems we think alike. And really? He’s town? Surprised me a bit there. Oh well, there goes some if the fun I was going to have turning the screws on him today. :)

Might turn them a little anyway. :twisted:

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:33 am UTC

Fridge:
Spoiler:
Thinking this through...

I'm pretty sure that Whale is town. I think there's a decent chance he's in some sort of mason group (the forbidden fruit), which he presumably was breadcrumbing into with his apple and "looking for mentor" comments. Buddy is probably either bessie or Sabrar from the looks of it.

Given plytho flip, Sabrar is much more likely town, regardless if he's in the mason group. That leaves scum among {moody, heury, flicky}. Heury is looking pretty likely. His play is actually pretty scummy.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:34 am UTC

Fridge Mafia
Spoiler:
So I've been totally neglecting the Gojoe because as Vanilla Town I'm not holding back anything and you can find almost all my thoughts in the game thread.

@plytho: I was really wondering how you could be scum and not-scum at the same time. Now I know. :D

plytho

Postby plytho » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:43 am UTC

Fridge:

Spoiler:
Peaceful Whale, heury, don't worry about it. I brought it on myself. I'm sorry I didn't manage to be a quiet townie and join you guys D3 (D2 wouldn't have happened as I was targeting bessie). I'm glad Peaceful Whale managed to score townie points with my lynch. Not sure about heury though :?

@plytho: I was really wondering how you could be scum and not-scum at the same time. Now I know.
Yeah, it did sort of feel that way.

Hmm.
Night games: solid win with town, solid win with scum
Nightless games: NK N1 as town, lynched D1 as scum
Pattern? I wonder what D2 feels like in a nightless game :D

I'm not sure how I can avoid such a tangent in my next games, that was all genuine. Still, it's now being noted by everyone as a plytho scum-tell so next time I'll just have to grit my teeth and shut up in time :mrgreen:

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:41 pm UTC

Edit: Fridge mafia:

Spoiler:
I always thought we had a jester, but now I'm not so sure, if I were the jester I think I would be lynched by now. Make a noobie mistake that reveals I'm scum, and then ya-da!!! I'm lynched!

I think getting rid of jester will help mafia, ends the day for town! And kills a "townie"!
Spoiler:

#HBC | YOLOSWAG

Postby #HBC | YOLOSWAG » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:23 pm UTC

HEY GUYS!

Nice to see y'all out here alive and well. These mafia communities are getting sucked into the mafiascum/mafiauniverse sites, it's hard out here these days, wasn't sure if I'd find any survivors here. Hello to faces new and old.

I have 6 people from my homesite itching to play a game and a host. I'm wondering if there's any interest in doing a cross-site game with us. We would invade come here and the main two differences would be:

1. Flips would be posted upon lynch.
2. Scum would have daychat.

Is anyone interested? If not, it's totally cool. But I think it'd be a fun experience for both of our places and y'all would dig it, we could get it going immediately after Fridge Mafia.

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:29 pm UTC

I'm in.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

You can learn to levitate with just a little help.

:idea: = Surprised Cyclops

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:54 pm UTC

Fridge:
Spoiler:
Weird... now that I know plytho's alignment, I've gone over and reread that whole discussion with bessie/plytho and bessie is kind of pinging me a bit.

That D1 meta read from bessie also feels... out of place. I can't find an example of her ever doing a read of that nature before. Hmm...

bessie and heury's reads are super correlated (bessie and PW's are too). I kind of wonder if maybe plytho wasn't on to something after all. Or I just have a fixation on wanting to catch bessie as scum :)

I'm going to call bessie/heury scum team.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:13 am UTC

I'm in as well. Would one of your crew be the mod? The biggest difference between our site and others is the pacing. How long were you thinking for day and night cycles?

#HBC | YOLOSWAG

Postby #HBC | YOLOSWAG » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:21 am UTC

Glad to see you in heury. BoomFrog, I'd love to see you play.

Regarding phase lengths, I see Madge's Bin Chicken was 5 day days and 2 day nights with weekends counting as halftime. I'm interested in playing by that timing, pretty sure it'd work for both sites.

Yes, one of my men will mod. He is experienced and'll cook up something cool. FYI, probably not playing myself, but may co-mod.

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:45 am UTC

I'm all up to play, btw, there is a "for sign ups" fora in the formum games-> mafia folder. Put your game description, number of players, and all the other information and people will probably sign up!
Spoiler:

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:03 am UTC

I'd like to play, but I'm away for about 10 days in early September so I may only be able to sub, depending on the start time.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:10 am UTC

Definitely in.

bessie

Postby bessie » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:12 am UTC

Good to see you YOLOSWAG! I’m in, and looking forward to it. I’ve had a very good time playing with all the players from your home site that have visited us before. This game should be a good match for all of us.

We’re a little low on activity right now because I think some of the regular players are on vacation, and pm/topic reply notifications aren’t being emailed and I don’t know if that’s affecting activity. (If anyone else is having this problem please add your name to the report here. ) I think you should add your game to the signups, and hopefully we will have plenty by the time Refrigerator Mafia is done.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:14 am UTC

Fridge Mafia
Spoiler:
My problem is that I'm vanilla, Znirk was a weak Cop who was not supposed to get mutliple scum results and live to tell the tale and other than Peaceful Whale (who I think is our Doc) no-one has hinted at being a PR or having a result from N1. If there are really 2 scum out there then we can only mislynch once and we do not seem to have the abilities to make this a balanced game.
Then again I'm always leading myself astray when I base my reasoning on what the mod would find balanced, so probably it's best to abandon this speculation and just focus on reads.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:27 pm UTC

Fridge Mafia
Spoiler:
So... lock me in at {LaserGuy, moody}? I guess so. It is quite possible that one of my townie-reads is incorrect, would be nice though to finally get it right.

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:57 pm UTC

Fridge
Spoiler:
Sabrar wrote:huge townie points to Znirk for the Galaxy Quest reference.

Well, if that's all it takes ... I'll be sure to remember this for when I next play as scum against you :)

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:20 pm UTC

Fridge

Spoiler:
Basically feeling like a role claim is in my near future. Want to wait for a second vote for the sake of form. It will also mean me including myself in my one-shot multi-person doctoring (not forbidden this game). Right now it's on Sabrar, bessie, and Peaceful Whale.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:45 pm UTC

#HBC | YOLOSWAG wrote:HEY GUYS!

Hey, didn't you used to live in Smalltown? :D

I'm interested in your crossover game in principle, but don't want to promise anything definite until I have a clearer idea of when this game would start.

Return to “Mafia”