The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

dimochka
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby dimochka » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:56 am UTC

last call for diablo, closing sign ups in the next 6 hours. Perfectly happy with those numbers but want to make sure that anyone who wanted to join is in. PMs will go out by end of weekend.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:11 am UTC

Diablo Mafia
Spoiler:
Let the mess begin :twisted:

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:31 am UTC

Diablo
Spoiler:
- Seems like I'm scum in roughly half of my games which is a bit high but at least provides some practice. 2 teammates at the moment, but based on my pm there might be some Traitors out there who can be recruited.
- Interesting thing about alignments having been assigned randomly, will lead to some good discussion if mod will confirm that no balancing was performed after.
- My safe claim appears to be Adria who according to the wiki turned evil after Diablo's initial defeat, so I'm not too thrilled about that.

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:27 pm UTC

Diablo Mafia - Not safe to read for current players / potential subs. Somewhat ok if you're looking to follow along and get some basic idea of the game without having full setup details.

Spoiler:
The basic setup was as follows:
- I picked 15 town / townish roles. I then figured out townie powers for those roles.
- I ran a random number generator to determine who will be mafia / sk / survivor. Those were preassigned some powers as well. In some instances (pre-determined) those powers would erase whatever townie power existed before.
- I once again ran a random number generator to assign players to those roles.
- One exception to the rule - as this was supposed to be newbie friendly - I made sure that new players had no hidden elements to their roles.
- As a result, the townie roles that non-town have can essentially be used as a unique safe claim. Strangely enough, all original playable characters (Warrior / Rogue / Sorcerer) turned out to be non-town, so that will be interesting to see...

There is seriously going to be so much going on at night that I have no clue whatsoever whether the game is balanced. There are redirectors, jailers, roleblockers, PGOs, vigs, commuters, and nearly every other standard / semi-standard role you can imagine. Add to that naive / conditional recruits, naive bodyguards, millers, and godfathers, and... yeah I have no idea.

Not going to post the current breakdown so anyone spectating can figure it out. One thing I will mention - the lyncher in my last game kind of messed things up, so I decided to leave it out this time.
Last edited by dimochka on Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:31 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:17 pm UTC

Diablo:
Spoiler:
I'm Wirt the peg leg, independent survivor with a standard redirection ability and one-shot bulletproof. I don't want to claim survivor just yet because from experience that draws too much attention and often a mislynch. I will probably D4 ish though probably. I'll also likely claim full bulletproof at some point if there's ever no night kill.

Playing as a survivor is going to be an unusual style though...
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

SDK

Postby SDK » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:34 pm UTC

Must resist urge to click spoilers...
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

ahippo

Postby ahippo » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:27 am UTC

Diablo:
Spoiler:
I have a bodyguard and a one shot vig kill. Vig kill takes precedence, if I choose to use both in one night. Also, yep, I'm the blacksmith. I'm gonna try bolder strategies this time, since I'm entirely expendable.

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:04 am UTC

Diablo

Spoiler:
Yep I'm a miller. Also, roleblocker. Not sure how I'll use my power. Does anyone know a good way to breadcrumb targets for a roleblocker??
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:24 am UTC

Diablo (yes seriously, don't look, no im not in it, I just like reading games from time to time)
Spoiler:
Bit sad I didn't see the sign-ups for this one as I'm massive fan of the original Diablo. But oh well, I probably should stay away from playing mafia games.
Idle flavor speculation:
Roles I guess potentially could be in the game.
Human NPC's:
Griswold (Blacksmith - good guy in Diablo, cursed monster in Diablo 2)
Adria (Witch, apparently good in Diablo, not-present in Diablo 2, turns out she was evil all along in Diablo 3)
Decard Cain (Stay awhile and listen. Good guy, then dead guy.)
Farnham (Drunk)
Gillian (Barmaid)
Ogden (Owns the Tavern)
Pepin (Healer)
Wirt (the boy with the peg-leg and gambling possibilities)

Monster/adversary NPC's:
Leoric (Undead King)
Lazarus (Evil Advisor)
Garbad (The Weak, goat-person)
Snotspill (Dark One-type monster)
Zhar the Mad (crazy wizard)
Lachdanan (Hell Knight, but looking for redemption)
The Butcher (Fresh Meat!)
Diablo (well, duh!)

Others:
The Rogue (Bloodraven)
The Sorcerer (The Summoner)
The Warrior (aka Aiden, aka. Dark Wanderer, aka the dude that's given NO breaks)
Leoric's son and Aidan's little brother

If the later games have been taken into account I guess Tyrael is a likely target. Or some of his brothers like Bhaal, Mephisto, Durael etc. But seeing as this seems mostly based off the original Diablo I'd not spend a lot of time speculating on those.

Anyways, seeing as the alignments have been randomized I think there's little point in speculation which roles might be town/scum/independent. But to meta-game furiously here, there's some roles that are better suited than others for funky roles. If I were to make roles for this, I'd probably make Adria one of those scum/independents that'd show up town on investigation, and Lachdanan the opposite of that. Farnham is good for oracle-type things. Wirt I'd give some sort of one-shot avoid death thing. Pepin is the obvious choice for a doctor-role. Griswold would be good for a one-shot protect someone else power. And hmm...The Butcher is a good choice for a SK-character. Unsure of who I'd give investigative roles as none of them are particularly good at taking an interest in things that are not obvious.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

adnapemit

Postby adnapemit » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:28 pm UTC

Diablo
Spoiler:
Guess who is big, red and fluffyevil :twisted: .
One of my favourite parts of these games is people making wild guesses about the game setup.
A mafia game based on Diablo not actually having a role for Diablo. Inconceivable!
Empress adnapemit "Nancy" "Time Panda"
[adnapemit|timepanda]
Does anyone actually read signatures?

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:04 pm UTC

Diablo:

Spoiler:
Fresh Meat!
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:00 pm UTC

Diablo:
Spoiler:
Ohh Gopher of Pern came with a really scummy speculation while I was on my way home. Exciting! *grabs popcorn*

More speculation: I doubt there's a proper cult-mechanic in this game. Some sort of independent faction probably, or possible some minor recruitment power, but a full out cult? Gut says no.

I'm also wondering if there's scenarios where random faction+random role would lead to broken combos. Let's say, doc+cop+bodyguard is all scum, who can communicate, that'd be hard for town to break especially early game. Not impossible, but hard. Man, with the right kind of gamble that could even lead to some properly solid alibis. Just need to avoid getting lynched on day 1 and that's not the hardest thing to do.

Haven't played in so long, I've forgotten what most of the more obscure roles do. Millers are uh...townies that show up scum? Scum who show up townie? Can't remember. Oh well, not important.

they/them/theirs

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:27 pm UTC

Diablo Mafia (May be read now by AngrySquirrel only)
Spoiler:
Miller: Town role. Appears as Mafia when investigated.
Godfather: Mafia role. Appears as Town when investigated.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:33 pm UTC

Diablo:

Spoiler:
Okay, I'm a bit confused. The only read that I actually get from anybody that's substantial is from dimochka, who is the mod, which isn't much help.

Except that I know he's lying. Or at least, being very misleading.

I am the Butcher, mafia, with a proper mafia power (strongman). The other mafia are Diablo and Lazarus. So if alignment assignment was random, that does not include the mafia. Likewise, powers are at least somewhat non-random, or don't include the mafia. The confusion over the role/alignment thing is more helpful to mafia than town, I think, since we at know our own powers, and after N1, will know each others' powers.

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:58 pm UTC

Diablo:
Spoiler:
What is with people and claiming so early?
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:58 pm UTC

Diablo
Spoiler:
@Deva, thanks, I remembered about 5 seconds after I wrote it what it was.

But uhm, isn't speculating that a claim being a possible bait for a roleblocker to draw out powers considered a scumtell anymore? There's two people who's done it so far and no one has jumped on it. Or maybe there's just a ton of scum/independents in this game all trying to deflect from themselves?

Hmm have there ever been a game where there's only one or two townies, a whole fat bunch of independents and a small scum faction?

Or like a single townie with recruiting powers, everyone else either independent or scum?

they/them/theirs

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:33 am UTC

Diablo Mafia (May be read now by AngrySquirrel only)
Spoiler:
Cannot distinguish Town from Independent in those cases.

Fired up the scoreboard spreadsheet. Counted Town, Mafia, and Independent. Trimmed games with only one alignment present. Closest:
- Lataro's PYP Bastard SNES (Three Town. One Mafia. Three Independents.)
- Keys to the Kingdom Mafia (Nine Town. Five Mafia. Six Independents.)
- The 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo (Six Town. Four Mafia. Five Independents.) (Note: Not in the records.)

Honorable Mentions:
- Death to the Conspiracy! (Six Town. Eight Mafia. No Independents.)
- Werewolf (Nine Town. Nine Mafia. Two Independents.)

Played games before and after these records, of course. Could have missed some too. Tracked ending alignments.

Edit: Consider looking at Wheel of Time 2 Mafia. Finished that recently. Followed loosely. Appeared to be several normal Town, two opposing "Town" cults, and one "Mafia" cult. Stored game information here.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:40 am UTC

Diablo
Spoiler:
Currently I suspect bessie to be recruitable by scum, as she was the first to mention the possibility of the role directly (potentially to signal us).

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:49 pm UTC

Diablo (warning: contains some setup notes)
Spoiler:
There are two survivors - Wirt and RedVex - both of whom have the standard survivor win-con. However, Wirt can team up with three of the alignments under certain conditions (with SK Leoric because he is promised riches, with Town Gillian because he's in love with her, or with Indie Red Vex with whom he would leave town instead of Gillian). RedVex, on the other hand, can team up with Wirt as mentioned, OR with mafia Lazarus BUT only if Diablo is dead (the reason I picked was that Diablo would not take kindly to Lazarus commanding his own minions). Now that Znirk claimed, it would be interesting to see if he gets recruited by mafia down the line while confirmed survivor.
Last edited by dimochka on Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:27 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:26 pm UTC

Ignore :(

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:26 pm UTC

Diablo mafia:

Spoiler:
Sooo, apparently there's a bit of a stigma to making unprovoked claims?

For the record, everything I've said in-thread so far is true to my knowledge. For bonus DVD content: I'm a Survivor, and a Tracker.
Last edited by Znirk on Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:05 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:51 pm UTC

@Znirk: I assume above spoiler is for Diablo, please indicate as such.

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:05 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:@Znirk: I assume above spoiler is for Diablo, please indicate as such.

Correct, thanks for the reminder.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:08 pm UTC

Diablo:

Spoiler:
Okay, I think I've figured out how the roles were distributed now in a way that is consistent with what we see, but also with what the mod claimed.

All of the townie characters were assigned randomly given an alignment town/neutral/scum. Then the ones that were neutral/scum were stamped over with a demon type, leaving their townie identity as a cover. So Znirk (assuming he's not lying) rolled Rogue + Neutral, and thus gained the Red Vex as his identity with Rogue as his cover. I rolled Barbarian + Scum, so I was turned into the Butcher, with my role PM indicating that I killed the Barbarian and nobody is likely to notice his absence.

I don't think I can actually report this based on the publicly available intelligence without tipping my hand, and even if there is enough intelligence out there to guess it, I'm not sure I should reveal it anyway.

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:16 pm UTC

Diablo:
Spoiler:
If I was town I'd push for a lynch on Gopher of Pern (scumtell), or possibly LaserGuy, although it'd be easier to defend him than GoP.
If I was independent I'd try to get mpolo lynched, mainly cause my old notes say "mpolo - lynch if possible".
I have no idea what I'd do if I was scum. I'm not good at playing scum. Probably just picking someone and constructing an argument against them based on asspulls and ficticious scumtells. Depends on who my scum partners are I guess. Tricky.

they/them/theirs

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:07 pm UTC

Diablo:
Spoiler:
@Gopher of Pern: please don't think that I have a personal grudge against you, it's just that you seemed the easiest target for me.

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:47 pm UTC

Looking for a replacement for Diablo Mafia. Please PM me if you are available and interested.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:07 pm UTC

Diablo Mafia:
Spoiler:
Hmm... would dimochka really put two survivors into the game? I doubt it somehow. However, counter-claiming at this point seems like a really bad idea, especially if Znirk actually is another survivor. The trouble is, if he does flip survivor, I'm not sure if anybody would believe me should I claim so later on. Possible false claim in this case might be a lyncher or something... Urrk.

Also, some people have me as most likely scum. I'm hoping that my latest pair of posts will address those concerns for now, enough to avoid me sitting in the minds of people as a good vig candidate or lynch target, without sending me all the way to the town end of the spectrum and therefore prime night kill target.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:11 pm UTC

Diablo Mafia
Spoiler:
There are no secondary win conditions, but I answered the question posted as I would if those existed. There is no lyncher (or jester) either, but I'll let them figure it out.

@Znirk: I'm sorry if my PM was unclear originally. I forget how exactly this got rolled, but the fact that Rogue / Red Vex matched up and that the role was a survivor role was random. However, the fact that Red Vex had a safe claim was not random, as the character in the video game is evil in every way. The way I saw this playing out in my head was for you to play Survivor and use the Rogue claim if pressed for a name.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:17 pm UTC

Diablo
Spoiler:
Note to future indie players: I will never again defend you on D1. Not that anyone will likely claim it in the next couple of games...
I seriously don't understand why they see a difference between first post Miller claim and first post indie claim. :?

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:18 pm UTC

Diablo:

Spoiler:
Not sure what to think of how I've played so far. On the one hand, everyone has put me firstly in the townie side, which is fine, but maybe I'm playing a little too safe. I don't really feel that there was anybody who I could have really thrown suspicion on, except maybe ahippo, which I tried at the end but probably too late to have any effect.

I'll see what happens as the votes come down. Maybe I can make a play later in the day to lynch someone more interesting. I'm not unhappy if Znirk gets lynched as I suspect he's a Lyncher/Cop or similar.

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:13 pm UTC

Diabko.

Spoiler:
close, but one day down in spite if everything. Thing is, I may jyst have associated closely with scum in the last couple of hours - in the sense that if the other two multi-votees were not on the scum list, then scum have good readon to push an alternative to the indie. Close look at jimbob and sabrar and possibly plytho if dance turns up town.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:14 pm UTC

Diablo Mafia:
Spoiler:
I have no idea whether that's a good thing or not that Znirk didn't get lynched. If he genuinely is another survivor, that could be quite a powerful voting block if we both survive until late game, combined potentially with Mafia. However, I think it more likely that he is actually lying. For that reason, I'm redirecting him to Sabrar, my second scum read. Znirk should know that he's been redirected, assuming he gets to track as planned. If on the other hand Znirk is somebody with some sort of kill (SK, Mafia etc), he may well target me, due to my pushing against him, so pushing it away from me sounds like a good idea.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:10 am UTC

Diablo:

Spoiler:
I know that "flavour is just flavour", but I really don't like dimochka's line about the townsfolk hoping to wake up mentally intact. Together with the whole demonic possession background: do we have a recruiting scum faction after all?

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:37 am UTC

Diablo:
Spoiler:
Worst few hours of the game, everything has been discussed in scum-chat, nothing to do, nervously waiting to see if I got Vigged.

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:10 pm UTC

Diablo
Spoiler:
Recap of major N1 Actions:
- The two survivors are now working together and will win as long as one of them survives.
- mafia used a ninja kill on bessie, but the ninja was jailed. Investigations were also directed at that same ninja, and those had no outcome as a result. I let Sabrar keep his 1-shot ninja power because logically (and flavorwise) he was locked up making him unable to even attempt to use it.
- the friendly neighborhood SK killed the healer. But town has a universal backup who can choose one of the two revealed roles to take on as of D2.

sidenote: there are no secondary wincons or bonus wincons. The only two people with wincons that can change are the two survivors.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:47 am UTC

Diablo:

Spoiler:
So, the plan for N1 was to have Sabrar target bessie for the night kill. Sabrar (and Sabrar alone) also has the chance to recruit, and we had considered bessie a potential candidate based on some of her setup comments. I haven't received a PM about a recruit, and bessie is still alive, so I'm assuming that Sabrar was roleblocked. We had considered this as a possibility, but were willing to chance it. As it turns out, someone else knocked out the healer, and JDU was the cop, so we're in really good shape at the moment. Presumably this means that someone is an SK that will need to be hunted down as well.

The main goal for D2 is to keep Sabrar from getting lynched, but he's sufficiently exposed that we're prepared to accept the loss of him if it comes to that. jimbob and Znirk have provided a very nice diversion to start us off. Hopefully we won't need to defend him; we just need to keep town looking somewhere else.

I need to be careful not to tunnel too hard on Znirk, but there really isn't much else to talk about right now.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:05 am UTC

Diablo
Spoiler:
Should I go for the Jester play? Decisions, decisions...

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:21 am UTC

Diablo:
Spoiler:
Sabrar, I hope I'm not really upsetting you. I really don't mean to.
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:24 pm UTC

Diablo:
Spoiler:
This will be my brilliant false-claim when I'm close to being lynched:
I'm Lazarus (Town, before he was corrupted), 1-way Lover with Znirk, meaning if he dies I die as well (unless I get protected which now seems unlikely). I assume this originally worked both ways but was later removed because Znirk got Survivor. My role-pm explicitly says that my lover is not a threat to town. Oh and BTW I had no idea which player was Red Vex, so I was very happy when Znirk claimed up until you all wanted to kill him.
Funny thing is I'm really Lazarus.

Return to “Mafia”