The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

bessie

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby bessie » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:07 am UTC

Wheel of Time 2

Spoiler:
I KNOW NOTHING!

Hey spectators, post something in a spoiler. Even if I can't read it I'll know someone's watching, and have some encouragement to keep going, because I'm running out of steam here. I have no reads. Everyone's claim fits so I have nothing to pick apart. They're all lying, aren't they?

adnapemit

Postby adnapemit » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:36 am UTC

Wheel of Time 2

Spoiler:
You can do it bessie! I believe in you!

I am actually really interested in who wins. This game is a really complicated one.
Empress adnapemit "Nancy" "Time Panda"
[adnapemit|timepanda]
Does anyone actually read signatures?

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:27 am UTC

Wheel of Time 2 (May be read now by bessie)
Spoiler:
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:48 am UTC

flicky1991 wrote:WoT2:
Spoiler:
I feel like the false-claimers are forgetting:
jimbobmacdoodle wrote:Unlike the previous game, most or all players will not have characters that feature in the books.
If anyone points out that rule, Sabrar might be looked at with more suspicion.

WoT2

Spoiler:
I KNOW RIGHT I WAS THINKING THE EXACT SAME THING Oh me yarm

Comeo n guys.... damnit I should have used my knife for good somehow
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:40 am UTC

WoT2
Spoiler:
Why do I keep making the same scum-slip over and over by treating only SirGabriel's info as controlled by Town? Don't answer that. Although seeing that somehow no-one seemed to notice the first one, this might not matter at all.
bessie is right though, should have admitted blocking her N3.

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:13 am UTC

WoT2:
Spoiler:
Nothing to say. Just want to freak people out.
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby plytho » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:24 am UTC

WoT2:

Spoiler:
I'm also watching. It's quite complicated indeed.
I wonder how the game would play if everyone knew the setup beforehand.
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

bessie

Postby bessie » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:31 am UTC

Wheel of Time 2
Spoiler:
Thanks adnapemit and Deva and all other posters! Knowing someone was following re-energized me enough to throw another couple hours at this! But after pounding at this all weekend I'm really running dry for content. And I still don't know who's scum. Or who's town, for that matter.

Nothing makes me happy (and sad) like a lab puppy does. But you know, it's the good kind of sad.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:42 pm UTC

Wheel of Time 2:
Spoiler:
The game's still in the balance, but things are definitely favouring Elaida's (SirG's) faction now. It has 3 members - SirG, mpolo, and dimochka, all of whom are effectively confirmed as non-Blacks. SirG is planning on recruiting bessie, which seems likely to succeed, given that Sabrar is blocking bessie, but we'll wait and see. I think the Blacks and Siuan's faction best chance is to actually work together:

Carlington bumps off one of mpolo, as he knows that he is in the opposing faction. Gopher takes a gamble and recruits matt, lynching Sabrar in the process, confirming matt as town. This gives Siuan's faction as three members, including one Black, and 4 votes, versus 3 members and 3 votes in the other faction, and everybody recruited. Assuming Carlington is then lynched, it's a race for who can hammer first, as at 5 players left, it's 3 to lynch, with both factions controlling 3 votes. That's a bit anti-climactic for my taste, and I should have considered the possibility before. Any suggestions as to how to handle that situation from any of our bystanders?

If matt is lynched then at best there'll be Gopher and Carlington in one cult, SirG, mpolo and dimochka in the other, bessie still unaligned, and Sabrar about to be lynched. Potentially one of those is killed by Carlington, and I still am not certain who will win.

If Carlington isn't lynched D5, then one of SirG's faction is likely to be, and SirG's has two loyalist and one Black (effectively confirmed as such), so it then comes down to who does Carlington kill N5? Kill a member of Siuan's faction (presumably matt) and it's 2 v 2 with Gopher having to decide between losing and lynching Carlington, handing victory to Elaida's faction, or forcing a stalemate briefly. If Gopher forces a stalemate, and Carlington kills one of Elaida's faction (killing Gopher at this point would be suicide), it's 1 v 1 v 1, with whoever is voted for first losing, unless the other two team up. If Carlington is lynched at this point, then it's a stalemate. Otherwise, the Black Ajah win. Of course, this ignores all the protective abilities that are potentially in play, and the unblockable action that Gopher can give someone.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:54 pm UTC

WoT2
Spoiler:
Watch matt96 swoop in at the last minute and lynch me. Would really like to know how many players believed my story so I'd welcome if everyone would vote even if it's against me.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:53 pm UTC

WoT2
Spoiler:
Oh well, looks like spoiler-time for me.

It is extremely hard to play this game if people don't participate.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:46 pm UTC

Sorry
Last edited by Sabrar on Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:32 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:46 pm UTC

WoT2:
Spoiler:
I tried.

But thanks for outing me as Siuan. I was sure someone would have figured it out by now.
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:31 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:WoT2 (@bessie, anyone can read)
Spoiler:
After my flip the second spoiler here will be safe to read.
I'd prefer if people don't, please.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:31 pm UTC

Planning to mod a game again (after dimochka's Diablo). Current ideas:
- Trials of the Pariah 2 (little or no flavor, everyone has some weird role)
- Stephen King theme (heavy with flavor, more normal roles but would definitely include some oddities)

Would people be interested in either of these?

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:31 pm UTC

Double post.
Last edited by Sabrar on Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:32 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:32 pm UTC

Yes to either
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:36 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:Planning to mod a game again (after dimochka's Diablo). Current ideas:
- Stephen King theme (heavy with flavor, more normal roles but would definitely include some oddities)

Wheel of Time 2 (response, but spoilered for safety):
Spoiler:
I'd certainly be up for a Trials of the Pariah 2 at some point. Not sure I'd be able to cope with it quite so soon after Wheel of Time 2 though, as I did steal some ideas from that, and I think I need a couple of more vanilla games to go with it.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

dimochka
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Postby dimochka » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:40 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:Planning to mod a game again (after dimochka's Diablo). Current ideas:

Hypothetically yes. realistically I'll know how my schedule will look for the next month or so in 3 hours. I really don't want to commit to a game and play intermittently like I did the last couple. It makes it less fun for everyone including me.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:40 pm UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:Wheel of Time 2:
Spoiler:
The game's still in the balance, but things are definitely favouring Elaida's (SirG's) faction now. It has 3 members - SirG, mpolo, and dimochka, all of whom are effectively confirmed as non-Blacks. SirG is planning on recruiting bessie, which seems likely to succeed, given that Sabrar is blocking bessie, but we'll wait and see. I think the Blacks and Siuan's faction best chance is to actually work together:

Carlington bumps off one of mpolo, as he knows that he is in the opposing faction. Gopher takes a gamble and recruits matt, lynching Sabrar in the process, confirming matt as town. This gives Siuan's faction as three members, including one Black, and 4 votes, versus 3 members and 3 votes in the other faction, and everybody recruited. Assuming Carlington is then lynched, it's a race for who can hammer first, as at 5 players left, it's 3 to lynch, with both factions controlling 3 votes. That's a bit anti-climactic for my taste, and I should have considered the possibility before. Any suggestions as to how to handle that situation from any of our bystanders?

re: WoT (major spoilers)
Spoiler:
Assuming the Black Ajah is wiped out entirely and the remaining factions are balanced, maybe some sort of Tower unification pathway should be made available? I'd suggest that the unification victory would be achieved if everyone agrees to "no lynch" in the tied situation. This would presumably need to be hinted at in flavor when the situation arose.

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:51 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:Planning to mod a game again (after dimochka's Diablo).

Planning to put this into signups over the weekend.

I don't necessarily need a co-mod but happy to have one if someone isn't planning on playing (and can help me with mod-duties when I'm busy at work / asleep) OR wants to help me with checking for balance.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:23 pm UTC

Wheel of Time 2 (partly @LaserGuy):
Spoiler:
I like the idea. I'll have to think about it, though I don't know if it will matter based on how things are set up currently.

As things stand, dimochka and mpolo are in one cult, with dimochka now controlling the recruit. Gopher of Pern and Carlington are in the other, although Carlington is actually Black Ajah, Gopher having tried to recruit mpolo last night, and bessie and matt96 are both unaligned still. I really don't know which way things are going to go at this point.

Also, last night is going to throw up a lot of questions. SirGabriel died, despite being targeted by two forms of protection. Mpolo used his new ward ability to protect him against One Power abilities, only to have that ward broken by dimochka attempting to heal SirGabriel using his ter'angreal. This then left the way open for Carlington to kill off SirGabriel.

Meanwhile, bessie "successfully" protected her third scum member of the game (Carlington), having previously protected JudeMorrigan and Sabrar! Gopher, in addition to attempting to recruit mpolo gave him a 1-shot bulletproof ring, and SirGabriel attempted to recruit Gopher. All-in-all, that was a pretty terrible night for everyone except Carlington (who also copped matt96 for good measure).
BlitzGirl the Primordial

bessie

Postby bessie » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:03 am UTC

Wheel of Time 2
Spoiler:
God fucking dammit, why am I still alive? I can’t get lynched. I can’t get night killed so my reads must suck.

Sorry SirGabriel. I didn't think you were a night kill candidate. I thought it made more sense for scum to keep you alive so they could play Siuan Sanche’s faction against you.

Sabrar, I didn’t so much doubt that you were red and a roleblocker, I just doubted you weren’t black too.

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:12 am UTC

WoT2:
Spoiler:
Apologies if any of that comes across as condescending. Attempting to channel my inner Amerlyin (or at least, how I imagine she would have been portrayed in the books.)

I'm 99% sure Carlington is the last black Ajah. mpolo is part of Elaida's group, plus potentially two more. I would be surprised if bessie wasn't turned. If they also recruited matt, I'm done for.
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:06 pm UTC

Wheel of Time 2:

Spoiler:
Just from lurking along, can I just say how glad I am not to be in this game? I understand maybe 3% of what's being said in-thread.

SDK

Postby SDK » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:10 pm UTC

Znirk wrote:Wheel of Time 2:
Spoiler:
Just from lurking along, can I just say how glad I am not to be in this game? I understand maybe 3% of what's being said in-thread.

WoT2
Spoiler:
I helped make the game, and I'm not much better off! Very flavor-heavy game, this one. :D
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

ahippo

Postby ahippo » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:09 am UTC

WoT 2:
Spoiler:
Lynch Carlington = Win. Make it happen boiiiz!

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:32 am UTC

WoT 2: About ter'angreal vs. angreal (flavor spoiler)

Spoiler:
Angreal and sa'angreal are objects that enhance that Power that you already possess--power multipliers, with the latter much stronger than the former. Say, an angreal might give a 2-10 times boost in your Power, whereas a sa'angreal might give a 1000-100000 times boost. The latter, especially the most powerful ones, are basically the series' closest equivalent to nuclear weapons. But if you have no Power to begin with, an angreal or sa'angreal is worthless to you. But, OTOH, the power levels of unboosted people are such that somebody relatively weak in the Power, using an angreal, is probably stronger than all but the strongest people without one, and a weak person with a sa'angreal might still be an order of magnitude stronger than the strongest person using an angreal.

Ter'angreal are objects that have Power within them, and can be used to do one and only one specific effect. Sometimes these effects are things that can't easily be replicated by the One Power. For example, one character in the books is given a ter'angreal that completely blocks the One Power from used against him as long as it is in his possession--a type of protection that a character with a sa'angreal probably wouldn't be able to replicate. Notably, this character can't use the One Power at all. Some ter'angreal do require the One Power to activate, but the bulk of the ones that appear in the series have passive effects that don't require any One Power input.

bessie

Postby bessie » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:13 pm UTC

Wheel of Time 2
Spoiler:
Sorry spectators, I have no secrets for you right now. I'm just about to stick it all in the game thread because I'm still unaligned and have nothing to lose. And I'm getting a little fed up with the lurkers. Check back after Carlington posts, if he posts.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:43 pm UTC

WoT2
Spoiler:
Sabrar wrote:Have I mentioned how frustrating it is not to know who your team mate is? :?
If e.g. Madge gets lynched, turns out be my partner, then me defending her will not look good, and I can't really say that I didn't know she was in my team. I would really hate it if I got lynched because I defended the right person inadvertently. That would really suck.
Yep, my defense of Carlington when I didn't knew we were scum together will probably contribute to him getting lynched next. I specifically asked jimbob whether it would be revealed that I didn't knew one of my mates if I get lynched and he replied that it would. He must have scratched it after JudeMorrigan's death.
It would be extremely funny to see bessie focusing on all the wrong things, unfortunately they somehow lead her back to us making it frustrating instead.

bessie

Postby bessie » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:15 am UTC

Wheel of Time 2
Spoiler:
I wonder what Sabrar’s spoiler is about. Me me me? Is he commenting on my impressive powers of deduction or laughing at my ineptitude at this game?

Well I don’t want the spectators to get bored while we wait for the lurkers to post, so for your entertainment, here’s bessie’s doctor targets with reasons!

N1: JudeMorrigan. I was so certain of my lynch on D1 that I didn’t even submit a night action before I left for work. Yes I was one of the players that held up N1. I didn’t have any reads anyway. I protected JudeMorrigan so that he would get to play at least one cycle because he is new. It was him or ahippo for the same reason but based on ahippo’s D1 content I was pretty sure he wasn’t a night kill target.

N2: Sabrar. Not because I had a town read on him, but because even if he were scum he would generate the most content on D3 (from himself and from questioning others). So keeping Sabrar alive would be the best chance of catching scum.

N3: Carlington. Because he asked me to here:

I feel safe in claiming this, based on other information I gained earlier. Based on that information, lovers of logic puzzles will surely have figured out what my intention is in claiming this, and act accordingly (please?)

N4: Carlington. Because if he was Siuan Sanche he would be the night kill target. And he wasn’t the night kill target so… have I been protecting scum every night?

And as to why I’m so interested in Carlington’s results on mpolo, I’m not really interested in mpolo’s role. I’m interested in seeing if Carlington has any information that is not public. And except for my role and everyone’s names, I see nothing. But I do see an effort not to use his power, if he has the power he claimed, in a useful way, like by investigating non "confirmed" town. So I think Carlington may have oversold his role to appear townie. But what do I know. I've been wrong before. In this very game. More than once.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:28 am UTC

WoT2
Spoiler:
bessie wrote:N2: Sabrar. Not because I had a town read on him, but because even if he were scum he would generate the most content on D3 (from himself and from questioning others).
It is nice to be appreciated. :D

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:36 am UTC

WoT2:
Spoiler:
Hi Sabrar! Enjoying the show?
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:17 pm UTC

WoT2:
Spoiler:
Good game!
Unless bessie is scum. Please let bessie be scum!
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:21 pm UTC

WoT2
Spoiler:
If I'm right (oh god I hope I didn't screw this game up completely), then sorry GoP. I actually tried to figure out a way to make you win with us somehow (like getting a tie with everyone voting), but could not figure out how to do that.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:22 pm UTC

Wheel of Time 2:
Spoiler:
Sorry Gopher, that's it. Assuming that dimochka doesn't randomly change his recruit target at least.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:31 pm UTC

re: WoT 2 (question for jimbob):

Spoiler:
What does the "strong leader" criteria actually mean in practice? Does it have to be Siuan/Elaida? Or can it be any non-black Sister? Or are specific people marked as "strong leaders" somehow?

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:24 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:re: WoT 2 (question for jimbob):

Spoiler:
What does the "strong leader" criteria actually mean in practice? Does it have to be Siuan/Elaida? Or can it be any non-black Sister? Or are specific people marked as "strong leaders" somehow?

Wheel of Time 2:
Spoiler:
I'm regretting using that phrase a little, but essentially it means one of the two groups of supporters has to control the vote, but without any Black Ajah influence to support them. In practice, as noted by the flavour, Elaida hasn't actually been killed, so she is still a "strong leader" as long as she isn't propped up by support from the bad guys.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:23 am UTC

short delay on Diablo, but will post signups tomorrow.

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:15 pm UTC

Ok, Diablo mafia in sign ups. New players are welcome to join; shouldn't be anything too out of the ordinary. Flavor knowledge not necessary.

Return to “Mafia”