The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

jimbobmacdoodle

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:54 am UTC

Dollhouse:
Spoiler:
It's times like this that I get annoyed looking in, since I know all the information needed now. Unfortunately, since Madge is no longer bulletproof, and as others have already identified, it is mafia's to lose. Oh for a bastard mod to give a free bulletproof to Madge!
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:04 am UTC

Pokemon (@Snark):
Spoiler:
Completely understandable. Additional question (and please don't take it as any kind of attack):
Why didn't you ask jimbob and emlightened to similarly edit their posts made after D1 deadline like you asked dimochka? If jimbob's request of targeting him isn't known at the time then the game would be much more different (for better or worse).

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:07 am UTC

Pypokemon:
Spoiler:
If dimochka flips town, I'm going to feel bad. I don't seem to have fallen over dead, so assuming SirG is being truthful about the timings of poison, I am now immune to NK tonight. If Esthr is also telling the truth and targets me, I have two more nights of bulletproofness as well! Guess I was right not to pick Metaphor!

I'm going to use my (paranoid) watcher tonight. I haven't decided who to target yet though. My original thought was Carlington, since mystery useful town power might draw the night kill, if scum don't go after the obvious target of me. It also means my ability isn't wasted by accidentally targeting the same as him. I'm confused as to why Carlington isn't going to target me though, but presumably he either has another part of the ability that is relevant or he is thinking like me and that scum will target a less obvious player. I could try.and guess who he is targeting, and confirm his results. Decisions, decisions.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:08 am UTC

Dollhouse (@jimbob):
Spoiler:
I understand your frustration and Town had some very tough breaks but in my opinion mods should be 1000% impartial and not affect the outcome of the game at all. bessie's idea of giving her an extra power is very appealing but I can't bring myself to do it.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:25 am UTC

Dollhouse (@Sabrar):
Spoiler:
I quite agree. That comment was intended 100% in jest. Unless a mod specifically advertises a bastard game, it should have zero bastardry involved (except for minor fixed hidden mechanics, and a cult/other alignment change mechanic possibly).
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:39 pm UTC

Pokemanz (PyPoke):
Spoiler:
If I can play this well, I think I can win. With the information I presently have, this is my plan:

Don't read beyond this point if you don't want to be spoiled on what I aim to do

Tonight, NK someone inconspicuous, like mpolo. Esthr needs to live for jimbob to be preserved, because jimbob seems happy with me and likely to take my side/easily swayed. Keeping him around will be beneficial, and provides a nice reason for someone so townie not to be NK'd. If anybody pushes me to claim a result tomorrow, I'll claim I tracked mpolo and that sadly since he was killed it's likely that my result is useless, as it will just be a random name of someone that mpolo targeted. Hopefully it won't come to that, as I'll then need to justify tracking mpolo and not Esthr, but it does handily give me a reason to have been visiting him in the event of someone else having a watch/track. I'll also need to explain to jimbob why I tracked instead of watching. If necessary, I can claim that I don't get to choose, but that it's alternating nights (unless I already put it out that I have a choice, in which case revise - but I think I only ever told that to Sabrar), which seems more believeable anyway. The next day I push the Esthr lynch, as I promised dimochka on his lynchbed, and put together a convincing case based mostly on her D2 play, which a lot of people seem to have been neg on. If I'm successful, we'll lynch Esthr D2, having served her purpose of keeping jimbob alive until endgame, and I'll NK adnapemit. The next day I'll claim that I watched adnapemit and got a result of SirG visiting her. Since adnapemit died, somebody must have visited her, so the name I received could not have been random. Unless more than one person visited her, that makes SirG scum. Then SirG has to try to get out of it, and the only way to do so would be to convince the remaining towny jimbob that I, the watcher/tracker who didn't kill jimbob N1 despite knowing he had some useful and presumably investigative power N1, am scum; or else to lie and claim he visited adnapemit but used some other power. At that point, the risk is a watcher/tracker result contradicting me, but I'll hopefully have the earlier claim and jimbob will helpfully confirm the watcher side at least - it's nice having confirmed town on your side.

Obviously if anyone cops me at any point I'm screwed, though. This should still be fun. :twisted:
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Suzaku

Postby Suzaku » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:29 pm UTC

Dollhouse - bessie may read
Spoiler:
bessie wrote:OK, I just got home. I didn’t have time to check the thread this morning (RL issues) because I was called in early to work, and our garage door was stuck, an hour delay there. I missed a meeting with our most important customer and also had to cover for two guys who didn’t show up today (I've got to get the hell out of there). When I got home my husband was so sick he can’t get out of bed and he was supposed to play a gig tonight.

Meh, another typical day. I wonder what’s happening with Dollhouse…

Oh fucking hell, now I’m officially having a very bad day.

I'm sorry to hear you're having such a shitty day, and even sorrier to add to it, but you owe me a new keyboard as I snorted my drink onto mine when I read this.
Pronouns: he/him/his > they/them/their >> it/it/its
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.

Snark

Postby Snark » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:32 pm UTC

PyPokemon(@Sabrar):
Spoiler:
Probaly should have been consistent. But with dimochka, it was the case of a player supposed to be dead, which seemed more important to get rid of. Also the case of a hammer.

I normally don't like making people edit, because some portion of the other players probably already saw it, which could create an unfair advantage. It's really hard either way, and I understand that you feel slighted by it (and I'm sorry about that). I tried to go with what made the most sense and was the most fair and was the most consistent and what disrupted the game the least but unfortunately not all those are the same thing.
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:47 pm UTC

Pokemon (@Snark):
Spoiler:
Thank you for taking the time to explain! I know I care more about the rules than most and I sometimes come across as arrogant because of that but for me the integrity of the game is very important, if that makes sense.

Snark

Postby Snark » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:52 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:Pokemon (@Snark):
Spoiler:
Thank you for taking the time to explain! I know I care more about the rules than most and I sometimes come across as arrogant because of that but for me the integrity of the game is very important, if that makes sense.

PyPokemon:
Spoiler:
I'd be doing the same thing to you if our positions were flipped. I only hope I'd be as polite as you are being. :P
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?

bessie

Postby bessie » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:20 am UTC

Dollhouse @Suzaku
Spoiler:
Ah, it’s so sad to hear your poor innocent keyboard was the victim of my warped sense of humor. If you are ever in Southern California, you are welcome to come to my house and select any of my fine keyboards as a replacement. Unfortunately, I will be unable to afford to ship it to Japan as I just spent over a week’s salary on a new garage door.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:29 am UTC

Pokemon
Spoiler:
Whew, Carlington dodged a huge bullet there. Obviously jimbob will deny having been targeted by Esthr and she will make the case that Mafia must have roleblocked her to appear scummy. It's unlikely that this will be enough to avoid the lynch however. Only adnapemit's ability is unknown at this moment so unless it's a Cop of some sort my scum-buddy should be safe for another day. Forgot about the lynch immunity.
So thanks to jimbob everybody's ability is public and known except for Esthr so the roleblock defense won't fly.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:22 pm UTC

Pypokemon 2:
Spoiler:
I'm a little confused. I definitely didn't get targeted by an ability I can copy last night. I also received Esthr as a watch result on Carlington last night. Of course, the ability is paranoid which means that it's possible nobody targeted Carlington last night either. My question is, who killed mpolo? Unfortunately, I have no results that are independent of anyone that will answer that question - Carlington could easily lie about a paranoid result, SirGabriel could be lying about receiving his own gift, and didn't use the ability last night, adnapemit also didn't use an ability, last night, and who knows what Esthr did.

In the event that SirGabriel did target adnapemit, why did he receive his own gift? If he'd targeted mpolo, that would have made more sense, except mpolo's ability should have led to someone dying if he was targeted.

Did Esthr really target me? Or did she target mpolo? If she targeted me, why didn't I receive the ability, or did she get roleblocked/redirected? If she targeted me with the scum kill, why did mpolo die? I was immune to the NK from SirG's drink, so if she had targeted me with a kill, I wouldn't have died.

So many questions, so few answers!
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Snark

Postby Snark » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:34 pm UTC

PyPokemon:
Spoiler:
So I messed up night actions. :oops: What do I do?

Player A sent Berry Juice to Player B. I accidentally sent PM giving berry juice to Player A instead of Player B.

Player A claimed in thread that they received their own juice. If I change it by PM now, it will confirm Player A's role and night action to Player B and thus basically everyone. If I don't change it, the players will probably be a bit confused and not know where to attribute the self-reflecting action to but it shouldn't break anything.

SPOILERS INCOMING The game is very likely ending in town's favor tonight so I'd rather not disrupt the game when it doesn't matter. In the event this leads to a SirGabriel lynch instead of an Esthr lynch today AND Esthr somehow goes on to win the game, I could award town the honorary win for me messing up the night action. But I don't foresee this happening so I don't want to interfere.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:57 pm UTC

Pokemon (@Snark)
Spoiler:
I think you should correct it. SirGabriel's ability is basically confirmed and public knowledge due to jimbob's multiple inquiries D2. As the concerned players are all Town (I assume) they would have no reason to lie and if you would have sent out the correct pm-s then adnapemit would have confirmed SirGabriel's action and I don't think anyone would doubt the ability itself. So basically you do not give out any real additional information.

Now they still could think that SirGabriel is scum (even after the correction) but that is independent from the ability as he could easily protect Player C while killing Player D. Also (if he were scum) he could have sent the deadly version of it to adnapemit today, hoping that with the additional kill tonight he would win tomorrow.

So Esthr chose to kill Carlington N1? Clowniest game I've ever played. :)

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:18 pm UTC

Pypokemon 2:
Spoiler:
Woops, just realised I let slip my copying ability, at least partially in my last post. Oh well, given that I was thinking of claiming anyway, I don't think it'll make any difference.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:39 pm UTC

Wheel of Time is now open for sign-ups in the sign-up thread. My hope is to start this in the next couple of weeks. Wheel of Time is an epic fantasy series spanning 14 novels, of around 700 pages each. It tells the tale of the fight against the rise of the Dark One, led by the Dragon Reborn and the Aes Sedai, female wielders of the One Power. Flavour knowledge won't be required, so if you don't know the series, this game should provide a good introduction into the universe.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:13 pm UTC

PyPoke:
Spoiler:
What the literal fuck? That was...somewhat unexpected. And also if Esthr is town then that was very well played and leaves me with some thinking about who to target. If Esthr is traitor I just need to guess right I guess.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:21 pm UTC

Pokemon
Spoiler:
Fantastic play by Esthr, never considered this move myself. Too bad it likely won't matter.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:48 pm UTC

PyPoke:
Spoiler:
Esthr's post contains too much wine to be safe for consumption. The best play is to pretend it didn't happen and carry on with my prior plan. I've already killed adnapemit, and I guess I'll know as much as you lot soon, one way or another.

Esthr

Postby Esthr » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:50 pm UTC

PyPokemon
Spoiler:
I am absolutely terrified that I missed something, but I think that was safe to post. In the worst case, it shouldn't change anything.

To explain, back on N1 I targeted Carlington to die on N3. If we can get two night kills tonight, then it will be 1/1 on D4, which is a mafia win if I'm not mistaken. I made a huge assumption that no one has any concealed redirection or protection powers.

My biggest worry is jimbobmacdoodle's N2 action. I realized that he could have lied about watching Carlington, and actually gave him a berry juice. This would mean they both kept silent about it without coordinating with each other, which seems unlikely. In this case, nothing really changes and it will be 2/1 on D4.

My second biggest worry is that Carlington is the last mafia member. In this case, I'm really sorry but there was no way I could have guessed that.

Edit:
Before I read any spoilers, my guess is that jimbobmacdoodle is the mafia member. The fact that neither he nor I died on N2 is compelling evidence and I didn't buy his "I'm too obvious of a target" explanation.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:56 pm UTC

Pypokemon:
Spoiler:
You what? How does that work? With Esthr dead, and only one mafia left, surely that puts us at 2 v 1 tomorrow... I have no idea how killing one of SirGabriel or adnapemit wins the game for mafia... Why would targeting adnapemit be a good idea? Otherwise, SirGabriel is the obvious target, apart from me. But why not me??? I'm so confused! Oh well, lets see what happens. I'm pretty sure the best thing for me to do is watch SirGabriel. I'm reasonably confident that he is not scum, and I hope that mafia follow Esthr's advice and target the suggested player, allowing me to catch them. I hope adnapemit has the sense not to drink the Berry Juice.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Esthr

Postby Esthr » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:06 am UTC

PyPokemon
Spoiler:
I am so sorry, Carlington.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:23 pm UTC

Still looking for ideally at least 3 more players for Wheel of Time. I might be able to run it with less, but 10 was really the minimum I originally had hoped for! Come play!
BlitzGirl the Primordial

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:17 pm UTC

I've actually started the book — only at chapter 17, but it's pretty riveting stuff…
Image <-- Evil experiment

kalira

Postby kalira » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:35 pm UTC

mpolo wrote:I've actually started the book — only at chapter 17, but it's pretty riveting stuff…

Only 667 more to go! :D I've read something like 10 of the books at this point, and I quite like what I've read. It gets a lot more far-flung across the world in later novels, but I kind of like that it grows in scope (though I'll freely admit I'm an oddball, so YMMV). There do tend to be a LOT of characters to keep straight, and oddly a lot of somewhat lavish descriptions revolving around clothing, lol.

It's been a while since I last read them, so I'm going to have to someday carve out a chunk of reading time for like a year to read through them all again and finish the series.
plytho wrote:Isn't bowling just a subcategory of pottery?

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:59 pm UTC

I've been rereading the books since, I think it was early last year, and am currently up to half way through book 12. It's definitely one of the grandest series, in terms of scope, that I've ever seen! Occasionally, I've found myself trying to imagine what the equivalent chart to this XKCD would look like for Wheel of Time. I'm not sure I could find space enough to map it out though!

I'll try not to spoil anything from beyond the second book or so with the game, but sorry if I do.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

kalira

Postby kalira » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:30 pm UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:I've been rereading the books since, I think it was early last year, and am currently up to half way through book 12. It's definitely one of the grandest series, in terms of scope, that I've ever seen! Occasionally, I've found myself trying to imagine what the equivalent chart to this XKCD would look like for Wheel of Time. I'm not sure I could find space enough to map it out though!

I'll try not to spoil anything from beyond the second book or so with the game, but sorry if I do.

I've often felt the descriptions definitely seem to lend themselves to being remade into TV/movies. But you're right; the plot chart would be crazy (dare I say, off the charts? :wink:). I imagine it would be difficult to set up a Mafia game for this without at least spoiling parts of the first book -- I'd hope that won't put off any of the other flavorblind who think they might want to get into the books.
plytho wrote:Isn't bowling just a subcategory of pottery?

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:02 pm UTC

Wheel of Time
Spoiler:
I'm Rand al’Thor, the main protagonist. Obviously Town, no abilities until D3 but then I will get multiple kills. :)

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:36 pm UTC

Looks like Mod Madness will be starting a little early this year. I think 2R1B1B might have to wait until its over :( WoT can probably start, but might need to take a hiatus.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:46 pm UTC

It's expected. I'm hoping to get at least D1 and D2 in. We'll see from there. The announcement suggests that it hasn't started yet. Mind you, I think it was last year that it didn't start until really late, so maybe they're making up for it!
BlitzGirl the Primordial

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:07 pm UTC

Wheel of Time

Spoiler:
I don't think I like that Chane did that. But we will see. Need to figure out how I want to handle it on my end.

Chane

Postby Chane » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:07 pm UTC

Wheel of Time

Spoiler:
I am Moiraine
Last edited by Chane on Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:36 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:23 pm UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:Posting rules:
Spoiler:
  1. No posting in this thread unless you are playing in it.
  2. No talking about this game except in this thread or in an appropriately titled spoiler in the discussion thread.
  3. No editing your posts. For any reason, at any time unless explicitly told to do so by the mod or co-mod.
  4. Do not lurk! Lurkers risk being replaced.
  5. You may post in thread until a hammer vote is placed or the mod or co-mod declare the day over. The mod will not declare day over until after the deadline.
  6. If all players explicit say they are happy to end the day early, e.g. because of an unbreakable tie, the mod may end the day before the deadline.
  7. You may not quote directly from your role PM or anything else from the mod or co-mod. Paraphrasing is fine.
  8. Only use bold text for voting, unvoting, asking the mod questions or stating important information (e.g. being away for 2-3 days). FoSses and similar may also be in bold.
  9. Mod statements (apart from these rules) will be posted in bold.

Private Message rules:
Spoiler:
  1. You can ask the mod questions by PM if you'd rather not ask in thread.
  2. No PMing other players concerning this game unless your role specifically allows it and you CC the mod and co-mod in every
    communication.

If that spoiler actually contains game-related content (i.e. a public PM), then its probably best to delete the 'for kalira only' bit.

I'm guessing its about the pronouns thing, though, so I'd recommend making it clear that it doesn't actually contain any game related content, and is just meta that doesn't affect people's gameplay.

"Therefore it is in the interests not only of public safety but also public sanity if the buttered toast on cats idea is scrapped, to be replaced by a monorail powered by cats smeared with chicken tikka masala floating above a rail made from white shag pile carpet."

Chane

Postby Chane » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:30 pm UTC

My bad, fixed.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:09 pm UTC

Chane, it would be helpful if you post your preferred pronouns in this thread
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Chane

Postby Chane » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:11 pm UTC

My post here is game-related.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:08 pm UTC

I know. The pronouns thing is a request so that I, and others know how to address you in the third person.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:39 am UTC

Also, you can post here to stop needing your post to be improved, so you can post links, etc (5 posts needed total)
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:50 am UTC

Wheel of Time:
Spoiler:
I did toy briefly with the idea of making the Aes Sedai not able to lie, but as pointed out elsewhere, thus might have been a bit impractical to police. Of course, it wouldn't help flush out scum, since the Black Ajah can lie according to the books, and I'd have definitely included that as well.

On a different note, it's really interesting watching this from a mod's perspective. It's also interesting to see how putting certain rules in automatically makes people assume certain things. As any good Aes Sedai knows, any clause containing "may" could well be false!
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Return to “Mafia”