The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Sungura » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:04 pm UTC

Hangafia - Vytron can read
Spoiler:
Vytron wrote:
Specially Sungura... Hi Amy! You've been my favorite mafia player ever (I've also read mafia games of other subforums) and... I guess I'll stop here since I could only appear more of a creepy fanbody than I am...

I forgot to say, awwww thanks :) sorry I refuse to put up with bastard crap! Hope it was fun while it lasted :)
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:07 pm UTC

Hangafia - @Sungura
Spoiler:
*Bows before you*

I hope we can play another game later on :)

dimochka
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Postby dimochka » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:48 pm UTC

I'm writing a large, complex (but non-bastard) game based on another popular movie that I'm positive almost all of you have seen. Planning to run it after Dr Ug's game is over. If someone would like to help me co-mod and check for balance, send me a PM.

There may be anti-"Roband dying D1 due to a completely random action that makes no sense whatsoever by a new player" mechanic in play.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

Nebuduck

Postby Nebuduck » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:29 pm UTC

I think I want to play some pretty much vanilla mafia. With all the people who I used to play with, who, by dint of Hangafia, are now around again. I'd prefer to play than mod, but will mod if no-one else volunteers.

Who is keen?

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:00 pm UTC

I'm keen on modding for the oldies, would you like an open setup?

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:25 pm UTC

Nebuduck wrote:I think I want to play some pretty much vanilla mafia. With all the people who I used to play with, who, by dint of Hangafia, are now around again. I'd prefer to play than mod, but will mod if no-one else volunteers.

Who is keen?

Retirement Home Vanilla Mafia it is.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:27 pm UTC

doesn't RoadieRich have a vanilla game in sign ups?

quintopia

Postby quintopia » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:21 am UTC

Hangafia
Spoiler:
I wonder what makes me seem scummy to SDK? I wonder what makes everyone so certain Amy is town? I'm starting to highly doubt this is a bastard game at all, and most of the weirdness is actually day abilities and very convoluted claims. I'm heavily inclined to lynch Vytron tomorrow just on the basis of "lynch all liars". I need to investigate someone tonight, and I can't decide who. If Nebu is lying, we'll find out tomorrow after he dies, and we can lynch SPACK too. So, not SPACK, because he ain't long for this world. I think my best bet is to pick someone ever so slightly scummy, but not so suspicious they are likely to get lynched soon. That'd be Amy if she weren't quitting. infina is very townie, and would be a good person to buddy, but there's no chance of catching scum there. Vytron is a good bet, but we're very different time zones and if he's town, we'd not get much accomplished. Minestrone is too townie. VectorZero has a line to SPACK so that is a very good choice. Hmm, yeah, let's go with that.

RoadieRich
The Black Hand

Postby RoadieRich » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:28 am UTC

dimochka wrote:doesn't RoadieRich have a vanilla game in sign ups?

It's vanilla, but closed. I prefer to work with a comod, if anyone's interested.

I can guarantee it will be less of a CF than Somnambulist Amnesia.
73, de KE8BSL loc EN26.

Dr Ug

Postby Dr Ug » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:31 am UTC

Hangafia:
Spoiler:
I'm surprised about how much private information is immediately being regurgitated into the thread. Outing the existence of mason cops? Very untowny move for someone who is Town/Town. Outing the existence of a Mason/Mason - very untowny for a Town/Town player. I get to PM - let's tell everyone - I think this move had been pulled by almost every player that can PM. Very strange.

As for the complaints about bastardry, this game is not Bastard by my definition of Bastard (as was discussed many years ago in a separate thread). IMO bastardry is the mod altering the game to get a desired outcome. This is just a very complex, very closed setup. Sure there is information that players didn't (and in fact still don't) have, but that's part of "Closed" IMO. I'm sorry Amy feels like I conned her into playing, but I was very open about the type of setup, even giving examples of my previous games (which were no less closed with hidden mechanics unknown to some / all players.

Good news is most of the chaos (at least mod-induced) was reserved for Day 1, largely as a way of forcing the game to progress. I think this has worked quite well, in that we have not had a single day with less than 20 posts, which is unusual for a game this size which often grinds to a halt from inertia. There are other reasons the confusion of the dual roles are in the game, but I'll keep that to myself for now.

If anyone feels like I cheated them into playing the game, and feels hard done by, I do apologise, but I really don't feel like I concealed the nature of the game from those signing up.
Where did my old signature go? :(

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:42 am UTC

Hangafia (@Dr Ug):
Spoiler:
I think I would define a game as being bastard if players are not aware from their role PMs what their role and win conditions are, or if players are at any point deliberately deceived by the mod in their role PM or the game thread (whether or not the mod has any preferred outcome in mind). As such, the majority of modern Large games on the fora (that I have seen, at least) are somewhat bastard. Obviously a game where the mod has a preferred outcome and is working towards it has very high bastardry, but I think the threshold for most players considering a game 'bastard' is a quite a bit lower than that.

By the strictest definition of bastardry, any game that does not have a fully open setup with no mod-decisions is bastard to some degree, but I don't think any of us would consider closed vanilla games or setups with something like 'actions processed when received' as being bastard.

Nebuduck

Postby Nebuduck » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:43 pm UTC

moody7277 wrote:Retirement Home Vanilla Mafia it is.

This also sounds like an excellent theme for a game.

There had best be some Hell's Grannies around (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ygy7UDADXDg&feature=youtu.be&t=42)

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:22 pm UTC

Hangafia
Spoiler:
I consider any game where roles and alignments are being constantly changed for many people to be clearly under the label as bastard wether or not it is "pre planned". If this definition of bastard has changed since I have been here last then I am unaware. I recall roles where someone's win condition can change, or obviously there are recruiting roles, but not this OH HEY YOU ARE NOW SOMEONE ELSE WITH A DIFFERENT WIN CONDITION and let's just flip flop everyone around for what seems to be lulz. Maybe there is some Master Pre Plan. But to the level of Hangafia, I would categorize as bastard
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:53 pm UTC

Hangafia
Spoiler:
This is very entertaining!

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:55 pm UTC

Would people be interested in an Amy modded game? im thinking a cave themed game since I love caving. Roles like bats, spelunkers, cave rescuers, salamanders, diggers, cartographers... Yes I like Semi open games. I tend to give role names but not what they do but I find it gives great conversation for day 1. Probably cap it at 18 players.

quintopia

Postby quintopia » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:59 pm UTC

I'd do it.

SPACKlick

Postby SPACKlick » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:11 pm UTC

I prefer open semi-open so I'm game. Do eet.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:16 pm UTC

Of course.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:46 pm UTC

It would be worth being committed to three games if one of them was modded by Amy.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

Nebuduck

Postby Nebuduck » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:40 pm UTC

I'd be game.

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:52 pm UTC

I'm in too.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:14 am UTC

Ok I put it in the game que

quintopia

Postby quintopia » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:25 am UTC

I'm actually really excited about a cave-themed mafia. I've just been thinking about all the ways I would do it if it were me. I'm sure Amy has something spectacular in mind already, but this is what came to mind:

A) For flavour purposes, it's easiest to make all characters humans (because wouldn't everyone notice you were actually a bat, barring vampirism?). One possible motivation is that one group is seeking a mysterious artifact hidden deep within the cave, but the infiltrating group knows what the artifact is and doesn't want it to be uncovered.
B) The death mechanic is best explained by a weather event flooding the cave entrance and wedging a boulder in place a la Sanctum. With only a meager amount of food on hand, each day the team must decide to abandon someone so that they can stretch their food further (either by blocking them up in a room and dropping rocks in front of it, or swimming to the other end of a long sump and taking their oxygen tanks with them, or climbing up somewhere and pulling the rope up after them).
C) Tied in with the above flavour would be a role on each team of a "cave rescue", someone who can bring back a previous lynchee exactly once. The scum team would have it as a night action, while the town one would announce who'd they are rescuing publicly in the thread. (The scum one could also announce before the scum partner they rescued starts talking again, if they want to muddy the waters.)
D) The town team could also have a paranoid claustrophobe who brought a gallon bucket of batteries because they refuse to sleep with the lights off, and can hardly sleep at all. As such, they see things that happen in the night. (A tracker who, if they do not follow a particular person, just receives a message about someone random who was "moving around at night".)
E) One team could have a "survivalist" who is really strong and good at making meals of bats and crickets and blind fish, and so can continue talking for a day or two if they are lynched.
F) Someone should have a video camera, like in Descent that they can aim at a particular player overnight (e.g. a Watcher), but only a limited number of times (batteries and all that jazz).
G) Mafia kills should be in the form of sabotaged equipment. Punctured air hose, knifed harness, etc. and they don't actually die until halfway through the next day (e.g. we went to climb up, but you fell down and died!). Which gives them time to share any information they uncovered IF they can guess that they were targeted.
H) Who's on Team Hodag? That is all.

Of course, with all these ideas, I have no idea how I would balance it, but I can really see myself getting into the flavour of it. I'd kinda want to do the whole thing in character. Looking forward to whatever Amy comes up with!

RoadieRich
The Black Hand

Postby RoadieRich » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:08 am UTC

quintopia wrote:stuff

Have each day start with a difficult climb/SRT section, you could even call it Hangafia 2.
73, de KE8BSL loc EN26.

quintopia

Postby quintopia » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:04 am UTC

If I Hangafia, there'll be too much rope-weight for you to rappel.

(I had another idea: that there's a food bag people can pass around. Whoever is holding it can't be lynched that day. Mechanic: The bag must be passed at least once per day by publicly declaring who it will be passed to. Anyone who is holding the bag can pass it to anyone who has not held it today or yesterday, unless doing so would prevent there from being anyone to pass it to tomorrow. At the end of the day, whoever was carrying the bag is so tired from carrying the extra weight that they fall asleep without performing any night actions.)

(And another: One scum is the Friend to Hodags. Each night they can pick a target to be hauled off by hodags. There is an (n-1)/n chance that the hodags will get mad about being bossed around and haul the scum off instead, where n is the number of times the ability has already been used.)

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:36 pm UTC

Hangafia
Spoiler:
come on, let's finish day 1 already. I have people to cop.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:00 pm UTC

quintopia wrote:If I Hangafia, there'll be too much rope-weight for you to rappel.

Naw. I've done El Cap. I can rappel with 350 pounds of weight on my rope easily. And if you were hanging off me, well that's just a pickoff, which I can do as well.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:19 pm UTC

Hangfia
Spoiler:
So...my role changed, and apparently I'm actually Tony Stark. I get to create an invention once per day, but if I try to make it too complicated, "there may be minor explosions." I sent one that would make me a PGO. Which for someone who wants to kill town, should be pretty awesome. I hope it works out

edit: added spoiler tag, so you know what game it's for
Last edited by freezeblade on Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:19 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

SDK

Postby SDK » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:30 pm UTC

Better tag that spoiler, soldier!
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:37 pm UTC

oh god fixed.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:43 pm UTC

Hangfia (@Nebuduck... wait till you're dead! :P )
Spoiler:
Actually, everything I said was true, except for the things that I've already accepted I've lied about.

I guess...

Vytron wrote:I don't like my position, because it's one of those that are too good to be true

I knew it!

Madge

Postby Madge » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:05 pm UTC

Hangafia (@nebuduck, when he's dead - I want to get in on this spoiler action)

Spoiler:
I *was* told Vytron is my scumbuddy, but I have no idea whether he's telling the truth about his role changing. I guess we'll see. Hopefully our interactions looked townie enough for ya! (though who knows, maybe you're scum??)
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:20 am UTC

Hangafia @Vytron (when I'm dead. Everyone else may read already, though.)
Spoiler:
Oh, Vytron, when will you stay alive the whole game? Tsk tsk tsk

weiyaoli

Postby weiyaoli » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:02 pm UTC

Hangafia:

Spoiler:
Okay, my role changed for N1. I now need to find Stu for one win, and am still town. The way the win cons are worded give me some insight into the setup of the game, though I'm still rather confused. I guess I'll see if someone else now has my old role by if there is another PA announcement tomorrow.
And you thought I was crazy...

weiyaoli

Postby weiyaoli » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:02 pm UTC

Hangafia:

Spoiler:
Okay, my role changed for N1. I now need to find Stu for one win, and am still town. The way the win cons are worded give me some insight into the setup of the game, though I'm still rather confused. I guess I'll see if someone else now has my old role by if there is another PA announcement tomorrow.
And you thought I was crazy...

quintopia

Postby quintopia » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:30 pm UTC

Hangafia
Spoiler:
I may have just been handed Madge's old card. I'm guessing that everyone has a new role by now. Day 1 was totally useless.

Nebuduck

Postby Nebuduck » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:13 pm UTC

Hangafia:
Spoiler:
I am sad that I was lynched on D1. Not surprised, but sad.

However, I hope I have spread enough confusion to make things entertaining for the next couple of days. Who knows what will happen!

@Dr Ug, until you tell us what the logic was behind the various changes, I will consider this a bastard game. I am intrigued as to what all the list changing actually means.

Reading spoilers is SUPER FUN.

Now I'm super up for another game.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:40 pm UTC

Hangafia
Spoiler:
So I *was* Phil, now am one of the Mason Cops, so it looks like I got SPACKlick's old role (or his partner's). Unfortunately my partner was meant to be Sungura, so I haven't been able to chat until she got replaced. Which means I'm now in two daychats, one of which is with two people who themselves have daychats with other people ...
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Madge

Postby Madge » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:30 am UTC

Hangafia

Spoiler:
So my role changed and now I'm a serial killer with access to the mafia chat and a secondary mafia wincon.

I've told my fellow mafiosi, many of whom I think are probably no longer mafiosi, that I have a two-shot kill and a target. It's partly true - I have kills (unlimited!) and I need to kill this Stu guy.

How the HELL am I going to get rolenames???? IT CAN'T BE DONE.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Van

Postby Van » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:16 am UTC

Hangafia:
Spoiler:
Seriously, I had no idea who to target tonight. Went back and re-read the thread and it's just so muddy. Went with my gut on quintopia.
Please don't be a doctor/cop, quintopia :x
Oregonaut wrote:You are a fucking idiot. (Insult.)
You say that you disapprove of sex before marriage, but you are fucking that idiot. (Ad hominem.)
You say that you disapprove of sex outside of marriage, but you are fucking your mom. (Ad mominem.)

Return to “Mafia”