The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

freezeblade

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby freezeblade » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:22 pm UTC

Re: community paintball.

Also a great study on why people around these parts dispise and won't trust SK roles :P
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

wam

Postby wam » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:11 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:Re: community paintball.

I think one of my better games, although briefly looking through it the grammer in some of my flavour makes me cringe!

Edit: I would at some point (April Probably) be interested in running another game but I am not sure what demand is like?
Come join us playing mafia signup here

New User

Postby New User » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:03 am UTC

I'd probably be interested, as long as I am still having plenty of free time then.

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:03 pm UTC

Vanilla Mafia Dethy (players may not read - spoils whole game)
Spoiler:
For people that don't mind being spoiled, here's the role of all the players:

Moody mafia
Mines sane
Elmach Insane
SDK paranoid
ajh naive

Madge

Postby Madge » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:51 pm UTC

Dethy (I guess everyone may read)

Spoiler:
Oh me yarm Oh I wanted to sign up for that and am pretty sure I even suggested it! Signups opened midnight my time and closed 5:30am my time. I was doomed from the start!

I hope someone needs to be replaced because I'm avoiding all spoilers.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:05 pm UTC

Vanilla Mafia Dethy
Spoiler:
Yeah, I've been on the other side of this and I'm sorry Madge, I should have saved a spot for you :(

Madge

Postby Madge » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:08 pm UTC

Dethy

Spoiler:
I took a chance on reading that spoiler since I'll avoid spoilers so I can replace if necessary, and don't sweat it, you had no way of knowing it would get full within 6 hours!
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:50 pm UTC

Dethy

Spoiler:
Post with the plan hopefully gets me townie cred with ajh and Elach. My two targets will be SDK and Minestrone in that order, mostly because I'm sure I wouldn't be able to snow SDK.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:45 pm UTC

Cobalt and Ruby
Spoiler:
My gut feeling is that giving both gems to the same person is a suboptimal strategy. For one it seems like mafia can always just kill the person who gets them. Also if one power can't be used it seems a waste. Flavour also suggests that giving both to the mafia may be quite bad.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

New User

Postby New User » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:19 am UTC

Cobalts and Rubies
Spoiler:
Is this setup unbalanced? If the only way for town to win would be to have both gems and also survive, that would mean they would need some way to prevent the mafia from killing the gem holder. But the only way I know to prevent the kill is to use the Cobalt to roleblock the killer, which would require some superb guessing (even if the gem holder knew all mafia players, they'd still have no way of guessing which one of them would carry out the night kill). I suppose you could also say that it's possible the gem holder could survive if the vigilante killed the mafia night killer, but the same applies: it would require some lucky guess.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:58 pm UTC

Cobalt

Spoiler:
yeah with the cop being a role cop that's even more in favor of splitting

SDK Dethy

Spoiler:
I haven't read my role pm, as it doesn't give any useful info on D1 for either role and both roles would seem to be optimally played as towny as possible. I do have myself in the interesting situation that I could be mafia and have laid out exactly the logic that would finger me, but the chances of that are incredibly slim, especially as I have strategies to minimize that chance. Most likely the cop results are either useless, or clear one person only. In both those cases and in either role, it's good for me to be seen as town.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:54 am UTC

SDK Dethy
Spoiler:
Seriously, if mike is town then all we need to do is to agree together about one other player we should consider town if one of us dies in the night and lynch from the rest if we're alone with them.

If this player dies we have won (because we wouldn't lynch each other.)

Otherwise we have 66.7% chance of winning (we only lose if we pick wrong from 3 players) and I haven't seen better chances than this.

That's why I said, town!mike should go with this plan or lynch me already, because if I'm town it's best and if I'm scum I should be lynched ASAP.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:59 am UTC

SDK dethy
Spoiler:
not gonna lie, I signed up for this figuring it would be a fast game of no lynch/no lynch/hope we know who scum is. I almost want to push for that strategy just to avoid this conversation

wam

Postby wam » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:12 pm UTC

SDK Dethy

Spoiler:
Last few games I played on here before my break I never got into and didn't enjoy, however, this game I am getting into and really enjoying this one!

Also Dethy is meant to be part mafia part logic puzzle so I can't see why were arguing about Lynch vers NL....

Ps I;m town

Madge

Postby Madge » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:25 am UTC

SDK Dethy

Spoiler:
Logic time!

Mike: Asmodieus Town
Asmodieus: Vytron Town
Madge: Asmodieus Scum
Vytron: Asmodieus Scum

Let's assume Asmodieus is scum:

Mike: naive/insane
Asmoieus: (fake result)
Madge: paranoid/sane
Vytron: paranoid/sane

Let's assume Vytron is scum:

Mike: sane/naive
Asmodieus: insane/paranoid
Madge: insane/paranoid
Vytron: (fake)

Let's assume Mike is scum:

Mike: (fake)
Asmodieus: sane/naive
Madge: insane/paranoid
Vytron: insane/paranoid

Let's assume Madge is scum (for completeness)

Mike: sane/naive
Asmodieus: sane/naive
Madge: (fake)
Vytron: insane/paranoid

Basically, we know nothing at the moment.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:16 pm UTC

Dethy is a setup I never thought I would get into (I've only really played very newbie vanilla games), but having spectated the two Dethys running now and gone back to look at some older ones, I want to say that if anyone decided to run a similar setup to the ones going now (Vytron/SDK) later on, I would be very keen to sign up. (I'd list myself as a replacement for one now but I've read spoilers).
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

New User

Postby New User » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:28 pm UTC

I like games where we I am able to know the power roles available, so I can look for good ways to utilize them. That's why I prefer an open setup instead of a closed setup game. But I also like the aspect of Mafia that allows players to be deceitful and lie about their loyalties and actions in the game. So Dethy doesn't really suit my taste, because it's a little too much like a logic puzzle. From what I've seen, the scum players in a Dethy game don't have much of a chance to save themselves by lying, as long as the other players plan their powers and use them intelligently.

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:03 am UTC

SDK Dethy

Spoiler:
Wow I can't believe I voted for myself yesterday, that was a really silly accident if there ever was one.

I'm investigating mike-l tonight solely because I don't like being told what to do! :P

But nah more seriously I was a little concerned that mike's plan didn't have him being investigated so I figured it couldn't hurt to look at him.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:59 pm UTC

SDK Dethy
Spoiler:
Can't help but wonder if Madge's message above is town wondering how will we win the game or scum bragging that they have figured out how to win.

wam

Postby wam » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:01 pm UTC

Vytron wrote:SDK Dethy
Spoiler:
Can't help but wonder if Madge's message above is town wondering how will we win the game or scum bragging that they have figured out how to win.

SDK Dethy Vytron may NOT read

Spoiler:
I'm not putting anything here but the spoiler will make vytron even more paranoid!

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:32 pm UTC

SDK Dethy

Spoiler:
I like wam's idea

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:56 pm UTC

SDK Dethy
Spoiler:
Also:

I WAS RIGHT!

Had we gone with the plan of lynching Asmodieus and then lynched Madge we'd have won. Period.

But I guess it's more important to have a good strategy that could lose us the game right now than having won with bad strategy :roll:

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:25 pm UTC

SDK Dethy

Spoiler:
So. I got a town result on mike-l. So that means I'm town cop. Which means Admodieus is scum.

I need to work out how to play this so Vytron will trust me. Clearly the first step is to get Asmo to claim first, so hopefully Vytron will be down with that.

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:50 pm UTC

SDK Dethy

Spoiler:
OK - I am saying that SOLELY because I want to make Vytron sweat a little. Sorry buddy! We win!

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:57 pm UTC

SDK Dethy
Spoiler:
Yep, looks like I was naive cop (got town on Madge), which makes wam insane[

There's not really a need for Vytron to wait on Asmo, since at best his claim is consistent with Madge being scum, in which case he has to decide between Madge and Asmo with no information from the results. Since he thinks Asmo is scummier it doesn't matter what result he claims.

Incidentally I had Vytron as town halfway through D1, but didn't mention it largely to keep Mafia from killing him. Nonetheless, pretty much everything Vytron said about strategy was wrong but his conclusions were correct anyway, so yay!

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:38 pm UTC

SDK Dethy
Spoiler:
I was so certain that Asmodieus was scum since D1 that I didn't believe Madge was scum after she said "! That was easy", and I didn't believe she was scum after SDK said "Game Over! Madge wins!" - all I knew was that the scenario where Madge was scum and she voted with Asmodieus against me never happened.

After the true ending, I wonder what would have taken to convince me that Madge was scum if she actually was. I wonder if something like this would have happened had she been scum:

SDK wrote:<snip>

After they got rid of Asmodieus, Madge and Vytron looked at each other and smiled, having a feeling that everything will now be all right. At least Vytron did, Madge just pulled out a gun and shot him in the head.

Asmodieus has been lynched! He was Town Cop!

Congratulations Madge! Mafia wins!

Vytron wrote:Nice try SDK, now give us the true ending! :P

Madge

Postby Madge » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:08 am UTC

SDK Dethy

Spoiler:
In reterospect I'm wondering what my best move as scum would have been, since scum!Madge would have to contend with the risk of you being insane cop who had a town result on me. I'm really, really glad I wasn't scum. I don't know how I would begin playing as scum on this game.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:23 am UTC

SDK Dethy
Spoiler:
Me neither. But I know one thing, I'd have played very differently as scum. Mainly, I'd have agreed with mike's strategy, and he wouldn't have voted me. So probably the technique where you don't read your role PM and play as if you were town wouldn't have worked for me if I was scum.

Perhaps, not reading my role PM and act as if I was scum would work for me, as when I'm scum I tend to remain longer in the game because I tend to be mislynched as town D1 or D2.

Asmodieus

Postby Asmodieus » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:58 pm UTC

SDK Dethy

Spoiler:
Kinda lame considering Madge could have been the insane cop. By the time I checked the game it was over. @_@
Tillian wrote:Yeah, but the polar bears get more territorial during the summer, so we have to stay indoors.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:01 pm UTC

Asmodieus wrote:SDK Dethy

Spoiler:
Kinda lame considering Madge could have been the insane cop. By the time I checked the game it was over. @_@

Spoiler:
No, she had a town result on a dead player

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:06 pm UTC

SDK Dethy (@Asmodieous)
Spoiler:
Madge couldn't have been the insane cop because she'd have gotten a scum result on mike then. She wasn't the naive one because she had already gotten a scum result. She couldn't have been paranoid because with my results I concluded I must have been paranoid. And she couldn't have been scum because then your suspicions of me would have been real, so her clearly best strategy would have been to claim something that made you believe I was certainly scum, not the other way around.

I guess your only chance to win would have been to kill me instead of mike, since by the time Madge and me chose the targets that we did the fate of the game was pretty much set on.

Vytron Dethy
Spoiler:
I don't know, but this game feels more "Mafia-esque" than No Lynch No Lynch Hope We Got It.

I'm here cheering for town because I want the precedent to be set on player behavior > result outcome, but that'd only mean Vanilla Mafia > Dethy, heh.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:57 pm UTC

Vytron wrote:
Vytron Dethy
Spoiler:
I don't know, but this game feels more "Mafia-esque" than No Lynch No Lynch Hope We Got It.

I'm here cheering for town because I want the precedent to be set on player behavior > result outcome, but that'd only mean Vanilla Mafia > Dethy, heh.

Spoiler:
Yeah Dethy is less mafia-esque than most other setups. With a cop head start it's very results based, though you can still d1 lynch to good effect as long as someone is ruled out by N0 results.

Not sure what the precedent would be though, as town won the no lynch game. But like I was saying there, I think lynching would have been a better strategy

SDK

Postby SDK » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:00 pm UTC

Vytron Dethy
Spoiler:
Argh! Spoilers!

Why couldn't I have been mafia this game? Being town is so hard... :evil:
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:29 pm UTC

Vytron Dethy
Spoiler:
@mike: I heard ya, and agree, except I didn't want to be the one lynched! XD - Now I wonder if just having let it go and been lynched would have been better, since it seems what we did only worked because of the setup.

@SDK: Okay, so I know you're unable to read this. But still, just realize that you're not able to rationally deduce who's scum with what you have. That's impossible! So your head doesn't have a way to tell you what's up. Listen to your gut! You've got this!

Asmodieus

Postby Asmodieus » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:05 pm UTC

SDK dethy

Spoiler:
I see, I reasoned things out wrong then; Oh well.
Tillian wrote:Yeah, but the polar bears get more territorial during the summer, so we have to stay indoors.

Madge

Postby Madge » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:55 pm UTC

SDK Dethy

Spoiler:
I gotta say it took me a few minutes to think through my result. At first I was like, "ok, Asmodieus is scum, but I still have to be suspicious of Vytron" then a sudden pause and, "oh wait, if Asmodieus is scum, then Vytron is just as town as I am, so no need to be suspicious of him anymore"

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:32 am UTC

Actually, I've had an idea for an interesting closed setup (I have no idea how common it is, I can't find whether it's been done before) that I wouldn't mind having a go at modding, when there's a spot. I gather that you're supposed to post game ideas here and discuss them a bit, but given that it's a closed setup, I don't know how I'd do that without ruining it, because the people who played would also be the people who read about it in this thread, so I can't be very detailed. (Does that make sense?). I don't want to needlessly ruin the whole point of having a closed setup, what should I do/how would this typically be handled?

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:55 am UTC

Are you asking how you should ask people about the closed setup?

My understanding is you can say something general - e.g. "it's a closed setup for 10-15 people that's How I Met Your Mother themed with some swingy mechanics", or you can say something like what you just said and then add "if there's any experienced mods who wouldn't be interested in playing but could let me know about the balance or concept"?

Or are you just wondering if people are going to want to play? What generally entices me to play is knowing roughly how complicated the game will be and knowing whether I'm guaranteed a power role or not (I like the idea of being guaranteed a power role, personally, because it makes me feel important! Even though I know it kind of ruins balance). I personally don't want to play in games where I have to do things like "buy" skills or equipment with money or buypoints, so I'd get mad if a closed game turned out to have that functionality without me being warned about it.

Other people (myself included) also need to know whether they can trust the mod 100% or whether the mod may lie. I also hate games where there's the possibility of a "listener" role on mafia/mason chat, because it makes the chatting function so much harder if you're in one of those groups.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:33 am UTC

Thanks for the advice, all of those things are thing I was unsure about. I can say that it won't be very complicated at all (it will be the first time I've modded), it's ideally a setup for 10 or more people but I can twerk it for more or less as needed (although less might take more twerking). If there are any experienced mods who don't want to play, and are willing to give it a look over, I would appreciate that a lot. And no, there's no bastardry, and no "buying" mechanic - in those respects it's quite vanilla. In essence, the main twist I've given it is that votals are done by secret ballot, and the player who dies on a given night gets their role revealed but not their name. (This may seem pointless/like it has no effect - just look at who stops posting - but if there's more than one death then you won't always be able to immediately tell which player matches which reveal, unless they both flip identical roles, in which case it won't matter.)

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:51 am UTC

That game sounds really fun! I would probably sign up! How does the voting work though? I feel like you'd get a lot of PMs and people might be too lazy to vote; might also be a slow game because voting is a good way to generate discussion (though I guess you can say "At the moment I'm wanting to vote for Carlington. Why shouldn't I?", which would be more or less equivalent to a vote, unless that was forbidden).

Maybe have a day with a strict deadline, then at the night phase everyone submits their night action and their vote? Or have you decided how this would work mechanically and my random thoughts are silly?

Return to “Mafia”