Unlikely Superheroes (Endgame)

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Vicarin
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:45 am UTC
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Unlikely Superheroes (Day 1)

Postby Vicarin » Fri May 10, 2019 2:20 pm UTC

@wam: what in particular of my behaviour strikes you as me keeping my head down?

User avatar
dimochka
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:25 pm UTC
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Re: Unlikely Superheroes (Day 1)

Postby dimochka » Fri May 10, 2019 2:30 pm UTC

bessie wrote:
dimochka wrote: To be blunt i was thinking 7 town, 2 mafia, 1 sk, 1 survivor.
This might have been my starting guess with a different mod.

I actually seldom think about what different mods would do. I definitely should so will rethink this.

bessie wrote:
dimochka wrote:Also wam didn't claim miller (not exactly), so I don't see why this is being brought up.
I wasn’t the only one that brought this up. Interesting you mentioned it in my section though.

Honestly it was because you were first alphabetically, and I didn't feel like repeating myself. I am perfectly aware of the fact that others brought this up and this also applies to them.

bessie wrote:
dimochka wrote:To be fair I don't remember playing against scum.bessie so need to find those games and read them. Anyone care to point me to them to save me time?
I don’t think you’ve ever played against scum me. You can try Texas Hold’em or Secret Santa 2017.
Will do now.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

User avatar
LaserGuy
Posts: 4582
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:33 pm UTC

Re: Unlikely Superheroes (Day 1)

Postby LaserGuy » Fri May 10, 2019 4:11 pm UTC

Current votals:

Peaceful Whale (1): moody
SuicideJunkie (2): jimbobmacdoodle, Vicarin
BoomFrog (2): Peaceful Whale, wam
dimochka (1): BoomFrog
Vicarin (1): SuicideJunkie

Not voting: bessie, dimochka, freezeblade, Sabrar

Deadline in 3 days

User avatar
Sabrar
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

Re: Unlikely Superheroes (Day 1)

Postby Sabrar » Fri May 10, 2019 5:12 pm UTC

Vicarin wrote:@SJ: are you trying to suggest that anyone who got your role would be basically guaranteed to be lynched? That seems ridiculous.
+1, QFT, etc

wam wrote:Also whilst I am town reading sabrar I want to scum read him for town reading me.
I indeed do town-read you but I've never stated this in the thread. Where did this come from?

Request mod-prod on Peaceful Whale

User avatar
SuicideJunkie
Posts: 423
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:40 pm UTC

Re: Unlikely Superheroes (Day 1)

Postby SuicideJunkie » Fri May 10, 2019 5:20 pm UTC

Vicarin wrote:@SJ: are you trying to suggest that anyone who got your role would be basically guaranteed to be lynched? That seems ridiculous.

Well, there's no guarantee, but it seems likely. Mafia could always stab me in the night.
Unless I presume I'm a significant outlier, then the proverbial Ms Lynch has relatives in the crowd.

User avatar
LaserGuy
Posts: 4582
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:33 pm UTC

Re: Unlikely Superheroes (Day 1)

Postby LaserGuy » Fri May 10, 2019 5:47 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:Request mod-prod on Peaceful Whale


Peaceful Whale has been prodded.

User avatar
SuicideJunkie
Posts: 423
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:40 pm UTC

Re: Unlikely Superheroes (Day 1)

Postby SuicideJunkie » Fri May 10, 2019 6:23 pm UTC

EBWOP since that sounds unclear:
Either I'm an outlier, or the proverbial Ms Lynch has relatives in the crowd.

User avatar
BoomFrog
Posts: 1069
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:59 am UTC
Location: Seattle

Re: Unlikely Superheroes (Day 1)

Postby BoomFrog » Fri May 10, 2019 6:54 pm UTC

Vicarin wrote:@BoomFrog: Do you think SJ is acting in a measurably different way to his previous game?

The only thing I remember from his last game was that he attempted to analyze people's content systematically by word count and some other things. I stopped paying attention after I was killed N2. I vaguely recall reading in GoJoe that SJ had fulfilled his name and self-hammered, and I just confirmed right now that he was a SK that came.

Anyway, obviously his behavior is different, but I don't judge by trying to catch people acting the same. You'll always be one step behind doing that. Anyway, with only one game to go on, how can you separate the scum-tells from SJ's natural uniqueness?

I find his sensitivity to being voted to be suspicious. But I see his instance on talking about his own role to be townie for a noobie, since it would be very dangerous to try to invent a role that makes sense with his current behavior, unless he got a very interesting safeclaim and is going overboard trying to get it out there. At the point that you asked this question I felt his hints were at a townie level. At this point I'm not sure but I think it's worth letting him live through D1 at least, and maybe claim D2 or D3.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

User avatar
BoomFrog
Posts: 1069
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:59 am UTC
Location: Seattle

Re: Unlikely Superheroes (Day 1)

Postby BoomFrog » Fri May 10, 2019 7:02 pm UTC

Vicarin wrote:@BoomFrog: actually, could you divide everyone into binary easy/not easy to lynch categories? For D1 only, if that makes it easier.

Bessie made a nice "no content lynch list" once. It illustrated the point perfectly. This game I'd say, in order:

Hard to lynch D1:
Sabrar
bessie
jimbobmacdoodle
dimochka
BoomFrog
moody7277

Vicarin
Wam
Freezeblade
Peaceful Whale
SuicideJunkie
Easy to lynch

moody is only so high on the list because he's built up a resistance after it happens so often. Anyway, I'm suspicious of lazy scumhunting if one's list matches this order too closely.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

User avatar
jimbobmacdoodle
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:40 pm UTC
Location: NP 811/The Present

Re: Unlikely Superheroes (Day 1)

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Fri May 10, 2019 7:32 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:
bessie wrote:Didn’t WoT2 have no mafia chat and it didn’t go to well?
WoT2 was more bastard than that (we didn't even know who our buddy was) and I hope it won't get repeated again.
Sorry about that, the game didn't quite work as I'd intended in that regard at least.
Sabrar wrote:
jimbobmacdoodle wrote:I will, but not yet. I'll explain why I'm not explaining at the same time as answering, which will be before the end of the day.
I can live with that. I have something in mind but it feels weird.
It is something a little atypical for me, I'll give you that much.

@wam, what do you think about SuicideJunkie's weird content surrounding his role? What do you think about my vote on him?
@others, feel free to answer the second question too.

SuicideJunkie wrote:
jimbobmacdoodle wrote:What info do you think I might have? And why haven't you answered my question about reason to vote for you yet?
Well, I'm not sure what you saw, but you seemed to be happy with the reactions it got from other people.
Try speculating rather than sitting on the fence.
SuicideJunkie wrote:It is actually very simple! Somebody had to have my role, and this time it was me.
The phrasing of "and this time it was me" is very odd. It implies that somebody has to always have SJ's role. The only way that makes sense is for scum (because somebody is always scum), but I can't see a scum player announcing themselves as such... Certainly being Town doesn't equate to being a lynch target.

@SuicideJunkie - don't answer this now, but be warned that I will want a complete explanation if you are still alive when we get around to mass claiming (or if you claim before then for other reasons).

SuicideJunkie wrote:It does. While being mislynched early would be less stressful for me, it would also mean a higher chance of losing.
Would being mislynched later on make a difference to your chance of losing?
SuicideJunkie wrote:
Vicarin wrote:@SJ: are you trying to suggest that anyone who got your role would be basically guaranteed to be lynched? That seems ridiculous.

Well, there's no guarantee, but it seems likely. Mafia could always stab me in the night.
Unless I presume I'm a significant outlier, then the proverbial Ms Lynch has relatives in the crowd.
This is dangerously close to rolefishing, but I'm going to ask this anyway because your comment is so bizarre: are you saying that you might get mislynched because of your role? If not, why do you think you have a high chance of getting mislynched? I also don't understand the last sentence (or your near-identical EBWOP).

I'm not sure if I'll get a chance to post tomorrow. I'm going to be out all day, and it might be quite late when I get back. By the end of Sunday I hope to have done a full reads list.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Image

User avatar
moody7277
Posts: 620
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:06 pm UTC
Location: Extreme south Texas

Re: Unlikely Superheroes (Day 1)

Postby moody7277 » Fri May 10, 2019 7:58 pm UTC

BoomFrog wrote:The only thing I remember from [SJ's] last game was that he attempted to analyze people's content systematically by word count and some other things.


Suddenly I feel nostalgic about that inane table based on relevance and verbosity. :roll:
As for me being on his hard to lynch list (even at the bottom) is not what I expected, but BoomFrog's reason for it sort of makes sense if people feel similar to bessie's stated policy re me.

@PW: Once you respond to the mod-prod, I am wanting a real T->S list. The other one for sarcastic giggles has lost any luster it ever had. Time to put up or face the rope.

6. Bb3
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.


BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

User avatar
Vicarin
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:45 am UTC
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Unlikely Superheroes (Day 1)

Postby Vicarin » Fri May 10, 2019 11:28 pm UTC

@BoomFrog: I remember from reading the thread before subbing in that SJ had an incredible reluctance to do any sort of reads or commit to any opinions on people in general. The idea of him doing reads was repeatedly explained until I think he started doing them near the end of D2? Before that, he seemed happy to just jump on whatever bandwagon was going or to vote defensively. You know, the same way he was acting previously. Surprise surprise, he was an SK.

With regards to separating the scum tells, if he's still doing blatantly scummy stuff despite it having been explained extensively in the past that it's a bad idea, how would you suggest to read him? You say his references to his role make him more likely to be newbie town, but he did exactly the same thing as an SK as well, so I really don't think that helps.

Also I think with my track record I'm easier to lynch than wam or freezeblade D1, but that list mostly makes sense.

@SJ: jimbob's questions are good, and I have no idea what you're attempting to hint at. There's no guaranteed mislynches in Mafia.

User avatar
BoomFrog
Posts: 1069
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:59 am UTC
Location: Seattle

Re: Unlikely Superheroes (Day 1)

Postby BoomFrog » Sat May 11, 2019 12:32 am UTC

Vicarin wrote:You say his references to his role make him more likely to be newbie town, but he did exactly the same thing as an SK as well, so I really don't think that helps.
can you link to this?
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

User avatar
Vicarin
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:45 am UTC
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Unlikely Superheroes (Day 1)

Postby Vicarin » Sat May 11, 2019 1:09 am UTC

@BF: This is an absolute pain to do on my phone, but

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=125666&sk=a&start=440#p4416743

Under the moody section on D1.

I think his D3 stuff stuck in my head too hard though, as that's when I subbed in. Oh well, still useful.

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=125666&sk=a&start=480#p4421737

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=125666&sk=a&start=520#p4422793

In particular, the part about the role being tailored to him despite there not being a game I can remember ever reading on here where the roles weren't just randomly distributed.

He is being rather more extreme about it this game, that's for sure...

Do you think his TtoS list is close to your ease of lynch list?

User avatar
bessie
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:27 am UTC
Location: California

Re: Unlikely Superheroes (Day 1)

Postby bessie » Sat May 11, 2019 3:02 am UTC

Vicarin wrote:@bessie: well, ok, if you were being completely serious, then the part where the town lover doesn't know they're a lover would contradict rule 6 of the game specific rules, as that would constitute a hidden mechanic. So your particular speculation would require a town lover to know they are one but not with whom (which would be weird, to say the least), or they're a normal lover and know who to look out for if you're correct.
Ah well dammit I guess I’ll have to revise that to unrequited mafia lover and unknowing beloved townie. If the beloved townie (is it me me me???) is killed the mafia lover immediately dies of grief. This would work with 8-3 with the weak town powers that some players have speculated. I'll need to think about my town power setup spec.

Sabrar wrote:
bessie wrote:but why not 7-2-1 (which would have been my guess for a 10 player game)? I know I keep saying I’m going to quit gaming the mod in public, but my unreliable gut is really liking 8-3. When I saw dimochka was being added I had assumed it was because someone dropped out.
Again I can't follow you. If you started from 7-2-1 and dimochka was later added with noone being dropped, how would you arrive at 8-3?
What are you not following? For 10 players, I like 7-2-1. You are speculating the dimochka was added because LaserGuy wanted to add an indie. If LaserGuy was going to use 7-2-1 he already had an indie slot and didn’t need to add another player to get an indie slot. I’m speculating he added another player so he could have 8-3. Got it now?

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:Yes, really. I'm not following the logic. Miller is not a major detriment to town in anything aside from a small game. There are plenty of other cop targets available who will reveal useful results. It's not like a godfather, because any cops know not to target the miller.
How is miller not a liability? You have a player that will investigate as scum, and all you have is their word that they’re not scum unless town has a role cop and uses investigation on them anyway. My feeling is that 8-3 is a little mafia-sided before adding powers, so perhaps one way to balance would be for all cop results to be true. And re your last sentence in that quote, yes, cops now know not to target wam. Convenient if he’s scum, isn’t it?

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:It was intended to mirror your comment about puppy versus supercomputer brains, coupled with a degree of annoyance with your stretching FoS.
Ok I get it.

SuicideJunkie wrote:
bessie wrote:Depends on your perspective.
It does. While being mislynched early would be less stressful for me, it would also mean a higher chance of losing.
Interesting quote snip. I think I'll take a break here to encourage everyone to check out the original quote.

User avatar
wam
Posts: 201
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:08 am UTC
Location: South England

Re: Unlikely Superheroes (Day 1)

Postby wam » Sat May 11, 2019 7:21 am UTC

@ sabrar

No idea where I got it from!

Vic will put my cases together tonight.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

User avatar
Sabrar
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

Re: Unlikely Superheroes (Day 1)

Postby Sabrar » Sat May 11, 2019 7:48 am UTC

bessie: her content and level of aggression is par for the course and therefore NAI. I found her concern about her image strange but I can see town!her not wanting to get accused needlessly. She focuses mainly on wam and SuicideJunkie, two players she FoS-d in her first post. Interaction with moody subsided, despite the third FoS which was reaffirmed later. Hasn't commented on BoomFrog's content at all which feels weird, no other connections are apparent. I have no reason to suspect her currently but I expect a woof-grrr list soon that rectifies this as well.
bessie wrote:What are you not following? For 10 players, I like 7-2-1. You are speculating the dimochka was added because LaserGuy wanted to add an indie. If LaserGuy was going to use 7-2-1 he already had an indie slot and didn’t need to add another player to get an indie slot. I’m speculating he added another player so he could have 8-3. Got it now?
Got it, but I'm saying LaserGuy could have started with 8-2 as previously.

BoomFrog: I misread BoomFrog a lot, I still don't understand how he wasn't scum in WoT2... He has pushed for and provided content and his stance on the 'easy-to-lynch' list is typical of him. However he didn't really push his scummy reads and his content from the last day feels lacking for this stage of D1. I would expect more reads by now, more attempt at driving the lynch. Something feels off (even after trying to discount the OMGUS).

dimochka: only 1 post with significant content but that looks reasonable and giving out early reads is more likely coming from town. He promised more, looking forward to it.

freezeblade: the quintessential lurker with no opinion on any other player. His meta protects him for D1 but this will 100% come back to bite us either now or soon.

jimbob: has good questions and engages with multiple players. I don't see anything alarming which (until last game) would have meant that he is scum. Town-lean but won't be terribly surprised if I'm wrong.

Peaceful Whale: his tone and early claim gave me a townie-vibe (even taking into account that he's himself). His reasoning for his vote is logical (though I don't necessarily agree with all points as generalized statements). Another player who needs to post opinions on others (and to stop lurking).

SuicideJunkie: a role designed to be mislynched is another level of bastardry entirely. Also seemingly it has nothing to do with post-restriction but that would probably be the only effect influencing the lynch. Unless he claims to be a Lyncher's target, but then why not say that upfront? Also Lynchees generally are not aware of their status (because it's not an actual part of their role). Technically that would also explain his jumpiness at being voted on which was my other main concern. However
SuicideJunkie wrote:Beware of powers activated when his game results in a captured piece or a promotion! Maybe a sort of underdog who has to choose whether White or Black will win.
This is obviously a faked concern. moody has 2 illegal moves in his game and SuicideJunkie could have checked this easily.
Balancing the fact that I'm often wrong about role-spec I think this is much more likely scum.

Vicarin: early game his pushing for content feels unnatural. I don't think his comment on wam's claim was rolefishing (and he was unjustly accused of it in the past as well) but that comment seems to serve no purpose (other than telling scum something they might not have considered themselves). Then there are some one-liners while waiting for others to post which I don't really have an issue with (there is only a limited amount of stuff you can discuss with yourself). However after he acknowledges the new content he still doesn't analyze it and mainly just reacts to some comments addressed to him. Read-list has no explanation, putting dimochka that low just because of little content seems not right. Later on he still doesn't post too many opinions, I would agree with wam about keeping his head down. Definitely getting scummy-vibes here but probably not aligned with SuicideJunkie (also unlikely to be aligned with BoomFrog, unless BoomFrog pre-emptively bussed because Vicarin got called out early by bessie and me).

wam: is capable of gambiting, however claiming a different type of Miller (aka 'no result') feels too much. If the claim is actually true then it probably would be too strong as scum in 8-3. So in case of 8-3 we have either normal scum!wam who knows a Cop would get a scum result on him but claims soemthing that is disprovable and weird, or wam is actually town. wam is more likely to be non-town in case of 8-2-1, but for now I give him credit for the early claim. Nevertheless I would like to see some extended reads from him soon (pre-post edit: which he just promised).

TOWN
moody
jimbob
wam
bessie
Peaceful Whale

dimochka
freezeblade

BoomFrog
Vicarin
SuicideJunkie
SCUM

Vote: SuicideJunkie

User avatar
Vicarin
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:45 am UTC
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Unlikely Superheroes (Day 1)

Postby Vicarin » Sat May 11, 2019 12:58 pm UTC

I find it mildly interesting that I'm near the bottom of several people's scum lists, and yet not quiiite scummy enough to actually get voted for. Are you all waiting for someone else to make the first move? I mean, wam even had me lower than BoomFrog and then voted for him instead.

User avatar
Sabrar
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

Re: Unlikely Superheroes (Day 1)

Postby Sabrar » Sat May 11, 2019 1:39 pm UTC

That is a weird comment. wam specifically said that his list wasn't ordered.

User avatar
Vicarin
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:45 am UTC
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Unlikely Superheroes (Day 1)

Postby Vicarin » Sat May 11, 2019 2:26 pm UTC

Ah, it was just in the same format as other people's ordered lists, my mistake.

User avatar
SuicideJunkie
Posts: 423
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:40 pm UTC

Re: Unlikely Superheroes (Day 1)

Postby SuicideJunkie » Sat May 11, 2019 5:45 pm UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:Would being mislynched later on make a difference to your chance of losing?
That depends on a bunch of things.
I suppose if I'm precommitted to be lynched on some day, then I could be free to help while focusing town powers on more useful targets, and my flip would prove myself.

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:
SuicideJunkie wrote:It is actually very simple! Somebody had to have my role, and this time it was me.
The phrasing of "and this time it was me" is very odd. It implies that somebody has to always have SJ's role. The only way that makes sense is for scum (because somebody is always scum), but I can't see a scum player announcing themselves as such... Certainly being Town doesn't equate to being a lynch target.

@SuicideJunkie - don't answer this now, but be warned that I will want a complete explanation if you are still alive when we get around to mass claiming (or if you claim before then for other reasons).
My assumption is that Laserguy had some roles, and randomly selected who would get them. Someone in this game was going to get it, and this time it was me.
In most games, the role I get was surely going to go to someone, even if it wasn't me. This game didn't have personalized roles, so the logic should apply here.
Being over-literal; Somebody always has to have SJ's role, since SJ is somebody.

Explaining definitely won't be a problem. Laserguy will eventually confirm it for me.

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:This is dangerously close to rolefishing, but I'm going to ask this anyway because your comment is so bizarre: are you saying that you might get mislynched because of your role? If not, why do you think you have a high chance of getting mislynched? I also don't understand the last sentence (or your near-identical EBWOP).

I'm not sure if I'll get a chance to post tomorrow. I'm going to be out all day, and it might be quite late when I get back. By the end of Sunday I hope to have done a full reads list.
Fair enough, I'll keep it safe and just clarify my statements.
1) My role has features that make me likely to be mislynched, IMO.
2) If I'm not a freak, then a lot of townies should have similar strength downsides.
3) If I am a freak, then there is probably a smaller mislynch buffer.

Also, so far seems like my role's mechanical effects won't even have to kick in, before I get mislynched. So Meta.


@Sabrar:
I'm not anybody's target in particular, as far as I know. I just have multiple features that will push me to be mislynched.
Re: Chess; yeah, super stretch to come up with those details, but chess was a visible thing and extrapolation with no data goes weird places. I wasn't paying attention to the details of the moves, probably should have, but I don't think I'd get anything out of it anyways.
I am by no means a Chess Master
Maybe Moody is actually the Chess Cheater.


PS:
@jimbob
Having a game with no scum would be pretty bastard, but it could work if Town had to decide to vote NL to end the slaughter of survivors. I don't think I'm the first one to come up with that, however, and now that I've mentioned it, it wouldn't be enough of a surprise to spring on players for a new game.

User avatar
Peaceful Whale
Posts: 167
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:38 pm UTC
Location: Northern Virginia

Re: Unlikely Superheroes (Day 1)

Postby Peaceful Whale » Sat May 11, 2019 6:13 pm UTC

AAAHHHHH... Im alive! Barely... >.<

Coherent post coming in maybe a few hours...
My meta for future reference
Spoiler:
cemper93 wrote:Your meta appears to be "just writes whatever is on his mind and doesn't remember what happened more than five hours ago"

User avatar
BoomFrog
Posts: 1069
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:59 am UTC
Location: Seattle

Re: Unlikely Superheroes (Day 1)

Postby BoomFrog » Sat May 11, 2019 7:06 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:BoomFrog:However he didn't really push his scummy reads and his content from the last day feels lacking for this stage of D1. I would expect more reads by now, more attempt at driving the lynch. Something feels off (even after trying to discount the OMGUS).

This is the BoomFrog you get, not the one you deserve. You pushed me to join and I've got limited time. I've been busy in RL so I don't have time to make a persuasive case. I think domichka feels very similar to his play in Shakespeare III (I think it was). He is coasting by with minimal effort. I also find it interesting that no one else is interested in him which suggests scum buddies ignoring the case and would for the 8-3 setup. Although, if SJ is Indy (see below), then that's less likely.

I agree that SJ has gone off the rails. His talk about the dice hating him and suspicion about LG picking him for the role suggest that he is anti town Indy again. @SJ I suggest you full claim now.

@Vic: I'm happy to move my vote over to you if it makes you feel better. :D

I'm happy with a domichka or Vic lynch, although if SJ doesn't claim I'd go for a SJ lynch.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

User avatar
wam
Posts: 201
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:08 am UTC
Location: South England

Re: Unlikely Superheroes (Day 1)

Postby wam » Sat May 11, 2019 8:22 pm UTC

So the start of my reads is below am knackered so wont get it finished today. Have gone the suspicious alphabetical approach!

Bessie - neutral

On re read found thisninteresting

Spoiler:
bessie wrote:
moody7277 wrote:Vote: Peaceful Whale

Emoji in his confirmation post? Almost as suspicious as an exclamation point.
Peaceful Whale’s confirmation post is acceptable (as is everyone else’s). It contains no game content. Peaceful Whale’s letting us know his RL time constraints is for information purposes, and not an pre-excuse for scummy content and an emotional appeal for special consideration. FoS moody.


As I swear Bessie scum read me (correctly I think) for the same thing. Edit she did and referenced it later. Bessie what's the difference between these?

I agree with Bessie here nothing I see is alignment indicative either way.

Spoiler:
bessie wrote:
moody7277 wrote: bessie has reverted to typical behavior so I'm reading her as solidly town.
And how is me being me AI?
http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=4275671#p4275671


Boomfrog - as scummy as pw playing sj meta with freezes history.

So in re read I really dont like this post.

Spoiler:
BoomFrog wrote:
Sabrar wrote:@BoomFrog: you usually have some early reads. Give me one town and one scum.

Why are you prodding me? I've significantly contributed towards generating real discussion. -1 point for Sabrar.


Having gone back the only content generation that boom had done before this was to push for more setup spec. Now setup spec is a very easy way for scum to hide day 1. It also feeds into boom trying to make himself look better whereas town boom has a idgaf attitude!

This post could be boom buddyjng me to take the pressure off.
Spoiler:
BoomFrog wrote:
wam wrote:I know you didn't ask me but 1 scum boomfrog! Just a sense that he's worry more about appearance this game.

Ha! That is a good read. +1 point for sincere scum hunting.

I declare wam town. @Bessie, please explain your disbelief in Millers.


Boom I think I have close enough to a t to s list. Can you explain your top 3 in this list?

Spoiler:
BoomFrog wrote:Wam
SuicideJunkie
Peaceful Whale
jimbobmacdoodle
Freezeblade
moody7277
Bessie
dimochka
Sabrar
Vicarin

Reasons provided upon request if you've made a TtoS list as well.


Later posts I'm getting a vic boom buddy vibe. Woth boom going for a bus. Boom would bus day 1 for the credit.

So here's a challenge boom join me

vote vicarin

The only thing worrying me is I have played against scum boom and never found him suspicious. I still am annoyed about gargoyles!
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=84070&hilit=Gargoyles

Dimochka - scummy

So when I started this read I realised I had 0 impression of dimochka this game.

Of all their posts only this one has any real content so am focusing on that.

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=126517&sk=a#p4452932

Interesting is very critical of boom then puts him.neitral.

I can see where boom is coming from on this all the reads are a bit wishy washy. I know that's hypocritical.

I think with the setup spec I agree with an indy read of dimochka. But that doesn't fit with my setup spec. Sp scummy it is but unlikely to be scum with boom.

freeze - neutral

Content is all setup spec. For anyone else I would be calling thos scummy but fits with meta. So I'm calling it null for now.

And my brain has given up so will do the other 6 tomorrow.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

User avatar
wam
Posts: 201
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:08 am UTC
Location: South England

Re: Unlikely Superheroes (Day 1)

Postby wam » Sat May 11, 2019 8:23 pm UTC

Edwop

Apology for all the typos!! Did that on my phone just amazed the formatting worked.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

User avatar
LaserGuy
Posts: 4582
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:33 pm UTC

Re: Unlikely Superheroes (Day 1)

Postby LaserGuy » Sat May 11, 2019 8:25 pm UTC

Current votals:

Peaceful Whale (1): moody
SuicideJunkie (3): jimbobmacdoodle, Vicarin, Sabrar
BoomFrog (1): Peaceful Whale
dimochka (1): BoomFrog
Vicarin (2): SuicideJunkie, wam

Not voting: bessie, dimochka, freezeblade

Deadline in 2 days

User avatar
BoomFrog
Posts: 1069
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:59 am UTC
Location: Seattle

Re: Unlikely Superheroes (Day 1)

Postby BoomFrog » Sat May 11, 2019 9:04 pm UTC

So here's a challenge boom join me

vote vicarin
This is really triggering my sense of perversity. But since I've got no traction on domichka.

Vote Vicarin

With the caveat that I'm switching to SJ if he doesn't have a really good claim.

As for the top 3 on my old list.

Wam - Wouldn't fake claim strange miller. Would have claimed something simple or not claimed D1 if scum.
SuicideJunkie - At the time was merely leeking a bit of info about his role which I thought scum wouldn't do. Since then he has leeked a lot more and clearly intentionally and I'm very concerned.
Peaceful Whale - I should have written this down, I thought I'd remember. I think he leeked a hint at his role that I didn't think scum-PW would do. Also, he feels townie.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

User avatar
Peaceful Whale
Posts: 167
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:38 pm UTC
Location: Northern Virginia

Re: Unlikely Superheroes (Day 1)

Postby Peaceful Whale » Sat May 11, 2019 9:33 pm UTC

here are all the lists of everyone else: (i think these we be the most helpful of all to analyze.)
Sabrar:
TOWN
moody
jimbob
wam
bessie
Peaceful Whale
dimochka
freezeblade
BoomFrog
Vicarin
SuicideJunkie
SCUM
Vicarin:
Town
moody7277
bessie
jimbobmacdoodle
BoomFrog
wam
Sabrar
Peaceful Whale
Freezeblade
dimochka
SuicideJunkie
Scum
Dimochaka: (didnt say which side was town/scum. But im guessing it goes Town -> Scum)
Town
Jimbob
Bessie
Wam
Moody
Vic
Sabrar
Boomfrog
SJ
Freezeblade
PW
Scum
Bessie: No List
SuicideJunkie: No List
Wam:
Town
Sabrar
Jimbob
Moody
Null
Bessi
Dimochka
Pw
Sj
Freeze
Scum
Boom
Vic
Moody:
Town
bessie
Sabrar
BoomFrog
jimbob
wam
Vicarin
freezeblade
dimochka
SuicideJunkie
Peaceful Whale
Scum
BoomFrog: (Sorry I copied yours it was a joke :P ) Also didnt say which way was town to scum... and Im going to say this one is Scum -> Town becuase I've been veiwed as scummy, and Sabrar and Bessie haven't been. (Boom if I got this wrong feel free to tell me)
Scum
Wam
SuicideJunkie
Peaceful Whale
jimbobmacdoodle
Freezeblade
moody7277
Bessie
dimochka
Sabrar
Vicarin
Town
Freezeblade: 4 real posts... very little content. Lurking? Did say that his Day 1 game play "sucks". We'll see.
LazerGuy: Im not even going to bother reading this guys, Hes obvously scum... :P
Soooooo... time to do anylisis after I have collected all these lists (when everyone has a list I will do some math stufs to find mean/average and standard deviation)
Sabrar:
I agree mostly with his reads. I dont really trust myself to read him though becuase I think I always think hes scum >.< I dont know if he still thinks I'm town. If he were to be scum i wouldnt be that surprised. Sabrar plays a very good towny if you ask me. And I dont trust my feelings on him. I will have to wait for a bit to see who he votes for and why before I get a full opinion.
Vicarin:
I like how hes playing. Hes very active and is asking questions and replying to people. He doesnt seem to be hiding, or be shying away from any fights. Id place him as a towny-ish.
Dimochaka:
Said they'd vote in their next post when they did their scum -> town list… but they didn't *gasps*
could be that they simply forgot. I don't think could be anything that sinister. @Dimo, it was a joke that I guess rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. I'll try to make up for it :( I'd say boom frog is lower on my list. Someone I'd be willing to lynch.
Bessie:
seems like normal bessie to me… Like Sabrar I don't trust myself to really rank bessie day 1. bessie always seems town to me.
SuicideJunkie:
Still has Vic voted even though in my limited eyes vic has redeemed themselves of early suspicious actions. Could just be that SJ has forgotten, or just doesn't have a better person to vote. Doesn't have a read on me! D: Am i not worth it? something seems to me like they aren't putting in a lot of "effort" but who am I to talk about that :P


ok guys… this is a rough draft. Ive got to go for today… I wish I could make my own list and stuff and do more but i don't have a lot of time. Ive been sick (didn't go to school the last 2 days) so I have a lot of sleep and homework to do.

I decided to post this because I think if anything at least it will help you read me better, and I think my read lists I've gathered could be useful. If I have anything horribly wrong (if I missed something important) or if you guys have questions feel free to ask / point them out.
My meta for future reference
Spoiler:
cemper93 wrote:Your meta appears to be "just writes whatever is on his mind and doesn't remember what happened more than five hours ago"

User avatar
Peaceful Whale
Posts: 167
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:38 pm UTC
Location: Northern Virginia

Re: Unlikely Superheroes (Day 1)

Postby Peaceful Whale » Sat May 11, 2019 9:33 pm UTC

Ill try hard to finish it tomorrow! good night guys!
My meta for future reference
Spoiler:
cemper93 wrote:Your meta appears to be "just writes whatever is on his mind and doesn't remember what happened more than five hours ago"

User avatar
Peaceful Whale
Posts: 167
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:38 pm UTC
Location: Northern Virginia

Re: Unlikely Superheroes (Day 1)

Postby Peaceful Whale » Sat May 11, 2019 9:34 pm UTC

oh yeah
unvote
My meta for future reference
Spoiler:
cemper93 wrote:Your meta appears to be "just writes whatever is on his mind and doesn't remember what happened more than five hours ago"

User avatar
moody7277
Posts: 620
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:06 pm UTC
Location: Extreme south Texas

Re: Unlikely Superheroes (Day 1)

Postby moody7277 » Sat May 11, 2019 9:47 pm UTC

SuicideJunkie

post 1: RP background stuff
post 2: complaints about his meta, votes jimbob
post 3: power spec
post 4: starting to lament his particular role or speculation about downsides for everyone
post 5: against testing wam's quasi-miller claim. REM reference at Vic

Here's where my previous read on him had him at -0.5 to +1.5 due to being fluffy.

post 6: responses to people on the quality of his posts, seems to think the demands are contradictory. Still dislikes his role.

Basically, what I was looking for is less posts about yourself and more about your opinions of other people. I find it next:

post 7: inexperienced comment about godfather, reads list with some opinions with wam and Sabrar town, Vicarin scummy, votes Vic. Weird fatalism in the last part
post 8: responses, to Sabrar about his fatalism, To Vic saying his weak sorting in the reads list is the best he can do. Scum ranking him as townie to look perspicacious
post 9&10: still thinks his mislynch is likely
post 11: relates his idea on being mislynched to role mechanics

His entire posting has been drenched in resignation which according to him is because of role mechanics. He doesn't seem to want to do anything to reduce his chances, except in the one post where he does a fair job of a reads list. On the whole, it's not really scummy, but it's not helping town a lot either.

Cynical View here: he's a Jester who's trying some weird reverse psychology on us.

PeacefulWhale, the compare and contrast on people's T->S lists is nice. I look forward to your thrilling conclusion.

6. ..O-O
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.


BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

User avatar
bessie
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:27 am UTC
Location: California

Re: Unlikely Superheroes (Day 1)

Postby bessie » Sat May 11, 2019 10:43 pm UTC

Replies to new stuff before I do a reread.

dimochka wrote: I actually seldom think about what different mods would do. I definitely should so will rethink this.
This pings me because I’m surprised dimochka would have this thought. I very highly doubt there’s anything dimochka doesn’t consider, on a conscious or subconscious level. It’s definitely not a rule, but I think that there are some distinctive characteristics to different mods and how they set up a game. dimochka’s setup spec is something I might have guessed for mpolo’s or Suzaku’s games, like, a nice standardish setup. It wouldn’t be my first guess for a game from Djehutynakht, dimochka, or a WoT game. dimochka hasn’t played one of LaserGuy’s games so he could have fallen back on the “standardish” setup explanation, but he didn’t, instead claiming he didn’t consider the mod.

SuicideJunkie wrote:Unless I presume I'm a significant outlier, then the proverbial Ms Lynch has relatives in the crowd.
My gut tells me this is an attempt to set up a breadcrumb for a later claim.

Sabrar wrote:I found her concern about her image strange but I can see town!her not wanting to get accused needlessly.
I’m not concerned about my image and I’m puzzled as to why you keep insisting I am.

Sabrar wrote:Hasn't commented on BoomFrog's content at all which feels weird, no other connections are apparent.
I’m having trouble reading BoomFrog for the following reasons:
1. Lower than usual content. Which BoomFrog warned us about in the sign-up thread, so he does get allowance for it.
2. The gambit remark by Vicarin on P1. Vicarin blew a great opportunity of getting a D1 read on BoomFrog (and on everyone else) by asking him to do a gambit. If BoomFrog was going to gambit, this preemptively shut it down. If BoomFrog wasn’t going to gambit, well everyone else’s reactions to his D1 content would have been interesting too, while we tried to figure it out. Everyone may disagree with this, but I think Vicarin’s remark limited BoomFrog’s options for how he could play D1.
3. Is BoomFrog.

Sabrar wrote:wam: is capable of gambiting, however claiming a different type of Miller (aka 'no result') feels too much.
That’s not what wam claimed. Already pointed out by me here when I acknowledged my earlier misunderstanding of wam’s claim.

SuicideJunkie wrote:I suppose if I'm precommitted to be lynched on some day, then I could be free to help while focusing town powers on more useful targets, and my flip would prove myself.
The absolute towniest thing a townie can do when facing the noose is to start posting their observations about everyone and everything, and don’t hold back. In my opinion, this is even more helpful than claiming (though I’m probably in the minority in this). Towniest example of this ever: SDK on D2 of Meta Mafia. Read it.

SuicideJunkie wrote:1) My role has features that make me likely to be mislynched, IMO.
This would be a level of bastardry that I would hope is outside the scope of “moderate”. Even if you only needed, say, two less votes to be lynched, you would still need four votes, which means you would have to be moderately scummy to be lynched.

wam wrote:As I swear Bessie scum read me (correctly I think) for the same thing. Edit she did and referenced it later. Bessie what's the difference between these?
It was a different feel, wam, I already explained this. Read my evaluation of Peaceful Whale’s opening post here:
bessie wrote:Peaceful Whale’s confirmation post is acceptable (as is everyone else’s). It contains no game content. Peaceful Whale’s letting us know his RL time constraints is for information purposes, and not an pre-excuse for scummy content and an emotional appeal for special consideration.

Compare with your confirmation post in Brooklyn 99:
wam wrote:Confirm (Ps I'm at one of.myoldest mates weddings with an open bar.)

And my reason as to why I found it suspicious:
bessie wrote:Not liking wam's confirmation post, to me it feels like a pre excuse for lurking. Confirmation started on Saturday and game was not expected to start until after the weekend anyway, why make a post tat you're too drunk to post on Saturday night, I read his posts and he did use it as an excuse not to post on Sunday when the game did start early. Not impressed with the post he made Monday night, it's a lot of fluff, like zen is zen but not how that is alignment indicative or not, and a setup spec based on flavor.


Peaceful Whale wrote:here are all the lists of everyone else: (i think these we be the most helpful of all to analyze.)
Not a fan of the way you presented these lists. You ran them all together with no breaks which defeats the purpose of gathering them in one place for ease of comparison. And you could have spoilered them to make it even easier to navigate your post. My first reaction is that this is a attempt to take up a lot of space on the page.

Peaceful Whale wrote:Soooooo... time to do anylisis after I have collected all these lists (when everyone has a list I will do some math stufs to find mean/average and standard deviation)
I think it would be more useful if you composed a list from your own gut reads, instead of using everyone else’s lists to form the opinion you think you should have.

A summary of your reads in that post:
freezeblade - No opinion.
LaserGuy – This read is active lurking, the joke only works when it supplements actual content, not replaces it.
Sabrar - You agree with him, but always read him as scum, but he plays a good townie, so you punt.
Vicarin – Townie-ish.
dimochka – Willing to lynch.
bessie – Seems townie but you won’t commit to a read.
Suicide Junkie – Not putting in effort but you don’t hold it against him.

@Peaceful Whale, in your next post please make your own ordered town scum list with no groupings. Include a one sentence explanation of why you find each player townie or scummy, no neutrals allowed. You can have a neutral line, but everyone has to be above or below the line, not on it.

moody7277 wrote:PeacefulWhale, the compare and contrast on people's T->S lists is nice. I look forward to your thrilling conclusion.
What?? Where did he do any comparison of people’s lists? He just copied them, and formatted it poorly.

User avatar
Vicarin
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:45 am UTC
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Unlikely Superheroes (Day 1)

Postby Vicarin » Sat May 11, 2019 11:35 pm UTC

@bessie: yes, I did try to sabotage BoomFrog's ability to gambit because they have a terrible track record at finding scum (as I've discussed rather extensively in gojoe). I'm sure you can read him normally if you try. And I'm sure BoomFrog can actually scum hunt normally as well.

@wam: why is it a challenge for BoomFrog to join you in voting for me? What would he have to lose?

@PW: yeah, sorting it like that really isn't helpful.

User avatar
BoomFrog
Posts: 1069
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:59 am UTC
Location: Seattle

Re: Unlikely Superheroes (Day 1)

Postby BoomFrog » Sun May 12, 2019 12:38 am UTC

Vicarin wrote:yes, I did try to sabotage BoomFrog's ability to gambit.

That's definitely not your original motivation. You didn't know what to talk about and you were trying to stir up content. Same reason you poked at Sabrar. If you were trying to foil my gambit you'd have definitely taunted me about your success. Your attitude was not antagonistic.

Spoiler:
Vicarin wrote:Vote: BoomFrog

Do something interesting. I've been getting a bit gambit-nostalgic recently.

BoomFrog wrote:I'm just here to bulk out the number of players. Someone has to get mislynched D1, and this will let me get my analysis out of the way first thing.

Vote BoomFrog

Vicarin wrote:Ah, that's more like it!


Vicarin wrote:Bah, this timezone sucks. And Freezeblade still hasn't said anything...

Sabrar, want to get into another hilariously pointless argument? :twisted:
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

User avatar
dimochka
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:25 pm UTC
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Re: Unlikely Superheroes (Day 1)

Postby dimochka » Sun May 12, 2019 1:51 am UTC

BoomFrog wrote:
dimochka wrote: boomfrog - explain sabrar OR bessie on your list (lowest people apart from me, and from Vic, whom you covered in your last post).
Why "OR"?

Because I thought you didn't want to reveal your full reasoning, and I didn't feel like pushing on it, at least yet. Plus wanted to see your response.
Also - you can call my list opportunistic, but I gave reasons for everything. And as someone pointed out, it's not different from that of other people (though it isn't something I realized till they mentioned it). Strange that the vote on me remained.

freezeblade wrote:
dimochka wrote:- freezeblade - need more from you. what indie roles fit your criteria?


Indies I would expect could be with a 7-3-1 setup: Survivor, Indie PGO of some sort (more likely to be targeted by scum), a mafia-listener role of some sort, mason (recruiting?), indie-jailer, commuter, basically non-killing roles, with possible investigative roles to help get information that would help town.

Yes, I get that you could list lots of roles. Any that you think are more likely than others? Do you still think 7-3-1 is likely? Or 8-2-1 now?

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:
dimochka wrote:Though I don't like the fact that I like so much of his content.
Why don't you like this fact? Also, what do you think about SuicideJunkie's responses to my prods so far?

Let's see. Agreed with your thoughts on potential indies, opinion on wam (and reasoning), and your list of questions also mirrored things I'd ask. I generally don't see myself as aligned with other people on D1. Will catch up on the thread and later in this post see if it changes.
Re: SJ - I think he overreacted, but I didn't personally see that part as scummy. I don't usually take responses during RVS seriously. With that being said maybe I should. I find some his other content more questionable.

BoomFrog wrote:I think domichka feels very similar to his play in Shakespeare III (I think it was). He is coasting by with minimal effort. I also find it interesting that no one else is interested in him which suggests scum buddies ignoring the case and would for the 8-3 setup. Although, if SJ is Indy (see below), then that's less likely.

I don't remember how I played but I know that that game I had very little free time. I don't really vary my play, though I do (as mentioned there) post somewhat less as scum. I also don't see why my setup thoughts need to be so interesting for everyone to pay attention to. I still think we have indies.

@wam - I didn't have many strong reads at my first post yet. Several were meant for reactions and they reflected where people generally stand. Would you have preferred I put more people as scummy? This is changing now for what it's worth.

bessie wrote:
dimochka wrote: I actually seldom think about what different mods would do. I definitely should so will rethink this.
This pings me because I’m surprised dimochka would have this thought. I very highly doubt there’s anything dimochka doesn’t consider, on a conscious or subconscious level. It’s definitely not a rule, but I think that there are some distinctive characteristics to different mods and how they set up a game. dimochka’s setup spec is something I might have guessed for mpolo’s or Suzaku’s games, like, a nice standardish setup. It wouldn’t be my first guess for a game from Djehutynakht, dimochka, or a WoT game. dimochka hasn’t played one of LaserGuy’s games so he could have fallen back on the “standardish” setup explanation, but he didn’t, instead claiming he didn’t consider the mod.

That's basically what it is. It's not a weird themed game, it's not a game I would do (where it's a complete mess of characters), so it's just a standard game. So let me rephrase. Unless I explicitly know that I mod does strange setups, I don't bother thinking about what they do / don't do. I also never go to read a mod's previous games to figure out how they might have set this one up. I understand that I'm potentially missing out on critical info, but I just don't enjoy doing that. Just like I've never gone back to other games to quote how someone acted in them, except when specifically asked. I truly keep each game separate, and mainly pay attention to how the players play.

Oh I also missed a Vic post about me flipping order of my #2 and #3 townie spots. You're correct, but I don't think it really changes much.

Posting updated views (T-->S) in a separate post literally in the next hour.

`
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

User avatar
bessie
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:27 am UTC
Location: California

Re: Unlikely Superheroes (Day 1)

Postby bessie » Sun May 12, 2019 1:59 am UTC

Things that stand out to me upon reread that didn’t on my initial read (or that ping me in a different way), now that I have more content to consider as a whole.

http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=4452301#p4452301
SuicideJunkie wrote:Hey! Past results are not indicative of future performance. It is highly unlikely to be a murderhobo 100% of the time.
This is bad logic for someone that’s previously shown they understand math.

http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=4452307#p4452307
Vicarin wrote:Do something interesting. I've been getting a bit gambit-nostalgic recently.
My feeling is Vicarin should have known better than to ask BoomFrog this.

http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=4452317#p4452317
BoomFrog wrote:Someone has to get mislynched D1
Not true. Why assume D1 will be a mislynch?

http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=4452379#p4452379
Vicarin wrote:@dimochka: that's probably next most likely, but then we get into balancing issues for multiple 1 person factions.
I feel this is poor reasoning.

http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=4452389#p4452389
Sabrar wrote:Consequently BoomFrog's reasoning is clearly false, he's not the type to just resign themselves to a mislynch D1.
Interesting choice of words, that lynching BoomFrog would be a mislynch.

http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=4452471#p4452471
SuicideJunkie wrote:Ok, I'm not the only one, then.

I presume everybody has some power, even if it is just "common sense", but I have some doubts that there is anybody vanilla enough to not have downsides.
[Note this is a response to wam’s miller claim.] Interesting, Suicide Junkie assumes that townie powers will be paired with a negative aspect. I don't think that this is an assumption someone that has only seen one role pm should make.

http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=4452500#p4452500
Sabrar wrote:Well, there is at least one situation where the power would actually be useful and you seem to be a good fit for that.
Have you considered that perhaps the townie powers only appear weak, but are all actually just very specific, and are useful if you are clever enough to deduce how the power is intended to be used?

http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=4452563#p4452563
Vicarin wrote:wam's claim sounds more like a compulsive commuter to me than an actual Miller with how he's described it.
This is an odd misreading for Vicarin to make, my observation has been that he pays a lot of attention to detail when he’s town and makes errors as scum. See also here:
Vicarin wrote:@bessie: well, ok, if you were being completely serious, then the part where the town lover doesn't know they're a lover would contradict rule 6 of the game specific rules, as that would constitute a hidden mechanic. So your particular speculation would require a town lover to know they are one but not with whom (which would be weird, to say the least), or they're a normal lover and know who to look out for if you're correct.


http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=4452736#p4452736
freezeblade wrote:Extended, more like my "D1 sucks" refrain.
freezeblade's lurking level this game is extreme even considering his meta.

http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=4452792#p4452792
Sabrar wrote:initially I thought 3 scum with day-chat would be too strong given the lesser abilities and 9-2 is just lopsided the other way around
Sabrar assumes lesser abilities, this is an assumption that someone that has only seen one role pm shouldn’t be in a position to make.

http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=4452801#p4452801
Peaceful Whale wrote:@Sabrar @Vic,
how do you feel about boom frog having you two as most scummy?

@Boomfroggy, I'd say its a little to early to be making full scum lists. So I assume your's isn't. I am guessing its manly a "gut feeling" deal. But can you answer why you've chosen those three as most scummy? Dimochka hasn't said much. What has she said that pings you as scummy.
Gut feeling, if Peaceful Whale is scum, he is addressing at least one of his partners in this post.

http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=4452808#p4452808
SuicideJunkie wrote:Vicarin:
Oh no. / I've said too much. / I haven't said enough.
As far as I can tell, this is a response to Vicarin’s request for content, so that would make it a refusal to provide content. Or was it actually an apology?

Consider this
Consider this
The hint of the century
Consider this
The slip that brought me
To my knees failed
What if all these fantasies
Come flailing around
Now I've said too much


http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=4452898#p4452898
BoomFrog wrote:Since town peers are so terrible I'd guess scum's are as well, maybe some compulsive powers that benefit town, or 2 mafia need to work together to use the nk.
BoomFrog assumes terrible town powers, this is an assumption that someone that has only seen one role pm shouldn’t be in a position to make.

http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=4452902#p4452902
Vicarin wrote:Also rather surprised that you're assuming all our PRs are terrible.
+1, QFT, etc. This observation was also made by jimbobmacdoodle.

http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=4452975#p4452975
wam wrote:My guess which was clearly wrong is that you had some setup reason to believe there was no cop. Which given the weird weak powers could be true.
Another person that assumes all powers are weak.

http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=4453061#p4453061
SuicideJunkie wrote:Jimbob:
I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who said your vote was about my meta :P. But you're also the only one I had any reason to vote for at the time.
So your vote was serious?
SuicideJunkie wrote:Sabrar:
I'm not good at reading people at the best of times. I needed somewhere to drop a vote, and someone RVS a known (to me) townie is as good as anywhere. Maybe I was subconsciously offended, but I don't think it is very meaningful that early.
Most of us aren’t experts at reading people, Sabrar included :P . If we all were mafia gods, this game would be no fun. And why did you need to drop a vote?

http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=4453336#p4453336
SuicideJunkie wrote: Or Laserguy is more of a genius than you think!
I kinda doubt it cuz I think LaserGuy is pretty genius! But my reasons are RL and unrelated to this game.

[Hey LaserGuy did I ever share any funny stories about doing tech support for a telescope company, after the physics teacher thing went horribly wrong??? :lol: :P :shock: ]

http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=4453391#p4453391
BoomFrog wrote:Anyway, obviously his behavior is different, but I don't judge by trying to catch people acting the same. You'll always be one step behind doing that. Anyway, with only one game to go on, how can you separate the scum-tells from SJ's natural uniqueness?
Good point.

http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=4453393#p4453393
BoomFrog wrote: Anyway, I'm suspicious of lazy scumhunting if one's list matches this order too closely.
Damn my list is settling in pretty close to this.

http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=4453397#p4453397
jimbobmacdoodle wrote:@wam, what do you think about SuicideJunkie's weird content surrounding his role? What do you think about my vote on him?
@others, feel free to answer the second question too.
Lucky guess? Or do I need to consider you for inclusion in the “players who are magic” club?


And, new content:
Vicarin wrote:@bessie: yes, I did try to sabotage BoomFrog's ability to gambit because they have a terrible track record at finding scum (as I've discussed rather extensively in gojoe). I'm sure you can read him normally if you try. And I'm sure BoomFrog can actually scum hunt normally as well.
I can read BoomFrog just fine with or without the help of a BoomGambit. I’m even correct some of the time (read Crossover, I pushed him hard and he managed to swing the lynch, it was so BoomFrog of him <3). But your revelation has been a very useful, because it helps with my read of you.


Woof
bessie
jimbobmacdoodle
moody7277
dimochka
Sabrar
BoomFrog
wam
freezeblade
Vicarin
Peaceful Whale
SuicideJunkie
Grrr

Ninja'd by dimochka, will read later.

User avatar
dimochka
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:25 pm UTC
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Re: Unlikely Superheroes (Day 1)

Postby dimochka » Sun May 12, 2019 2:48 am UTC

New list

list looks something like this:
Jimbob - hasn't changed
Bessie - hasn't changed. seems typical bessie. doesn't come off as scum bessie.
Wam - disagree with his view on me but already addressed it and generally agree otherwise. think he isn't as townie in my book as bessie (a change from previous)
Moody - no change
Sabrar - no change. maybe even above moody.
PW - moving him up because seems like unhelpful town, and that's never a preferred lynch over people found scummy, but really hope he follows the suggestions given, otherwise it's a serious detriment
Vic - i don't see the big deal in that gambit, but it feels he's nit-picking at things rather than answering fully. Need to go back to figure out where. downgraded to neutral.
Boomfrog - already mentioned what i don't like, plus bessie's call out of the "need to mislynch someone d1" is really jumping out to me. don't think he's typical boomfrog. I get that time is limited for him, but even the given analysis feels rushed. also need to go back to this.
SJ - sounds like pretty stubborn/unhelpful indie at best, scum trying to somehow untangle at worse

---
Freezeblade - barely any content so can't judge well

vote SJ
underlined because i'm worried about some kind of vote shenanigans and can't think straight right now on whether it's a realistic threat.
willing to switch to boomfrog.
...
and the fact that I almost signed this message with "Best, Firstname" like I do in work emails means I really need some sleep.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

User avatar
Vicarin
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:45 am UTC
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Unlikely Superheroes (Day 1)

Postby Vicarin » Sun May 12, 2019 3:09 am UTC

Current TtoS

Town

moody7277: has been churning out solid reads, questions and observations the entire game. Only very objectionable thing is his comment to PW in the last post that bessie pointed out.

jimbobmacdoodle: has been asking a fair few pointed questions, but somewhat restricted in time. Liked his incredulity towards SJ's statements a lot. As long as his promised reads come through, very townie.

bessie: been prodding a bunch of people to discuss points the entire game. Her attachment to that bizarrely specific setup spec is... weird, but ok. Also thought she'd have put out at least a preliminary reads list by now.

wam: the Miller claim gets him some credit for doing so early in a closed setup, and he hasn't said anything absurdly weird as he usually has as scum. Has holes in his reads so far however and I find him thinking that BoomFrog is scum with me rather hard to justify... Interested to see his reads fleshed out to completion, especially on SJ.

(Re: everyone saying I'm misreading his claim, if a cop targets him and gets neither a town result nor a scum result, that's consistent with no result at all, which is what happens with a commuter. I don't think it's the most likely possiblity now, but that's what I initially jumped to when he phrased it that way.)

Sabrar: while active and asking people a bunch of questions, has been somewhat reserved in terms of driving the lynch. Compared to something like Texas, he's been sitting back a lot instead of proactively guessing scum teams. Not liking the differences compared to his more aggressive play.

dimochka: has been rather inactive, and promised to vote quite a while ago without actually committing to it. Committed to some early-ish reads but has since fallen back on only responding to prods from other people. Don't think the indie setup spec means anything, there was plenty of room for a strongly antitown indie to just say 8-3 to fit in with the majority of the guesses. Want to see those reads as opposed to just talking about setup spec, which seems pretty pointless with all the stuff we have to go on.

BoomFrog: basically, if SJ is scum, he's almost certainly scum with him. Putting SJ really high on his first list and then revising to the bottom of his current list based on SJ continuing to do what he'd already been doing makes very little sense. I'd say his apparently new TtoS list is even decently close to his ease of lynch list that he made. Finally, switching to me with the promise to switch to SJ if he doesn't claim seems rather strange compared to just voting for SJ now and switching if he claims well.

Freezeblade: a total of 4 posts focusing on setup spec and not much else. Hard lurking, should definitely know better and have contributed more by now.

Peaceful Whale: has been lurking pretty hard, then after recovering enough to make a post, ends up spending his time on a rather unhelpful exercise compared to just presenting reads. Actually rather similar to D1 SJ in his last game.

SuicideJunkie: I think I've explained my position on him enough already.

Scum

User avatar
Vicarin
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:45 am UTC
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Unlikely Superheroes (Day 1)

Postby Vicarin » Sun May 12, 2019 3:10 am UTC

Ok, those dimochka reads can be summed up as basically no changes, not liking them that much.

User avatar
Vicarin
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:45 am UTC
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Unlikely Superheroes (Day 1)

Postby Vicarin » Sun May 12, 2019 3:17 am UTC

BoomFrog wrote: That's definitely not your original motivation. You didn't know what to talk about and you were trying to stir up content. Same reason you poked at Sabrar. If you were trying to foil my gambit you'd have definitely taunted me about your success. Your attitude was not antagonistic.


I mean, if you want to explain why you'd think it's at all likely that I'd want a gambit to go through given my previous statements on the matter, go for it. Poking at Sabrar was also a decent way of making sure that we didn't repeat the Texas stupidity, but it's also helped me notice that he's not actually being that aggressive this game, so I'd put that as a win too.


Return to “Mafia”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests