Secret Santa 2018: A Christmas Knight (N5)

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

jimbobmacdoodle

Secret Santa 2018: A Christmas Knight (N5)

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:47 am UTC

A Christmas Knight
Secret Santa 2018

Rules:

Mods: jimbobmacdoodle & dimochka
Speed: approx 5 day Days, 2 day Nights. Extensions around Christmas and other busy times if necessary.
Bastardry: Moderate. Closed setup with high likelihood of some crazy roles. We've done our best to balance, but no guarantees.

Standard Rules:
Spoiler:
1. Do not talk about the game outside of this thread, apart from in a properly labeled spoiler in the discussion thread.
2. Please stay on topic at all times.
3. Lurking is frowned upon; if you need to drop out, please let me know as soon as possible. If someone feels that another player isn't contributing to game play, please make me aware. Modkills will be handed out if replacement cannot be found without regard to balance.
4. If you aren't part of this game, please do not post in the thread.
5. Once it is nighttime, do not post in the thread.
6. You may not quote the contents of any PM related to this game, but you can paraphrase.
7. If you have been killed in game, don't say anything for the rest of the game except a simple, "Bah, you got me," which reveals no information. Or something along those lines, without giving out any information or hints to anyone still playing.
8. You may not edit your posts unless explicitly told to do so by the mod (which is not in any way expected to happen).
9. You cannot ruin the game for other players.
10. You must play to achieve your win condition.
11. Please make an effort to include the mods on all PMs. Mistakes happen but make me aware if they do.
12. All votes must be bolded and on a separate line. Unvotes are strongly preferred but not required. If I miss something, let us know.

Game Specific Rules (IMPORTANT: Please Read):

1. You may post in thread during the day phase but not the night phase. It is night as soon as the mod posts a day-end post, or a hammer vote is cast, in which case it is automatically night, whether or not a mod has made a day-end post. Note that this means you may not post content after a hammer vote.

2. Do not lurk! One post per real-life day is the recommended minimum. Consideration will be given for weekends and holidays. If you are going to be away for an extended period, please let us know. Otherwise, you will be prodded after 48 hours of inactivity. Failure to respond to a prod within 48 hours will result in a replacement or modkill.

3. You may not use encryption systems in order to communicate privately or circumvent these rules.

4. In the event of a tied vote, the player who has been at the current vote count or higher the longest continuously up to the deadline will be lynched, unless all players are voting for 2 players (or a player and No Lynch), in which case there will be No Lynch.

5. This setup is closed and moderately bastard. We will not lie to you or provide misleading information, but may choose not to answer questions. Generally, we will not answer questions about how a particular role will interact with another claimed or hypothetical role. Some roles may have hidden elements or have somewhat bastard mechanics subject to the restrictions indicated at the bottom of this section.

6. Please abide by any posting restrictions or other restrictions on your abilities. Failure to do so will result in a mod penalty up to and including a modkill.

7. You may not, under any circumstances, claim, hint at, or otherwise discuss the name, flavour, abilities or anything else about the role that you submitted. Please do not attempt to circumvent this rule (e.g. mass claiming "I did not submit a cop" is not acceptable). Violators will suffer severe penalties. Claiming your received role is fine as long as you do not directly quote from the PM. This restriction does not apply within any chat groups that may exist (e.g. a scum team may discuss their submitted roles amongst themselves, but may not reveal any info in thread), but may not be discussed outside that chat group (a chat group is any group of players with the ability to communicate with each other secretly during the day and/or night).

8. The flavor and abilities of submitted roles may have been altered at the mods' discretion. Players will not be informed if their role has been changed from its original conception.

9. No information will be revealed about how the roles were distributed or balanced. If you submitted a role with a suggested alignment, it may or may not be that alignment.

10. MYLO/LYLO will NOT be announced.

11. Players may not self-target or target dead players unless their role PM says they may.

12. You are still in the game until a mod informs you otherwise, even if hammered or killed. Please do not read spoilers until you are informed you may do so.

Sample Town role PM:
Spoiler:
Character Name: Sir Jimbob the Eloquent

Flavour

You are well known for your long and elaborate letters explaining your thoughts and guesses about whose skills mean what. These skills are always handy in the inevitable debates you encounter when on quests.

Role: Wall poster

Mechanics: You must make at least one post a day that is at least 1000 words long. If you do, you will be informed lots of information about the setup that really nobody should know.

Win Condition: You are a member of the Town and win when all threats to Town have been eliminated, and at least one member of Town is still alive.

Submitted Role Mechanics:
Spoiler:
1. Roles should be playable by any faction.
2. Players removed from the game may not be brought back to life.
3. No spoiler-reading roles.
4. No flavor-writing/influencing roles.
5. No alignment-changing roles.
6. Flips will reveal all role details including hidden mechanics.
7. We will do our best to keep the roles that players submit intact, but we reserve the right to alter the roles as necessary to make the game fun for everyone.

Player List:

1. LaserGuy
2. Boomfrog (Killed N2)
3. wam (Lynched D2)
4. moody7277 (Killed N4)
5. Sabrar (Killed D3)
6. Madge (Lynched D1)
7. plytho (Killed N2)
8. bessie
9. Mark_Cangila (Lynched D4)
10. mpolo Vicarin (Killed N3)
11. SuicideJunkie (Lynched D3)
12. MoA

I am sending out role PMs now. Game will start once sufficient players have confirmed and I have a chance to write D1 flavour.
Last edited by jimbobmacdoodle on Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:06 pm UTC, edited 13 times in total.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Sabrar

Re: Secret Santa 2018: A Christmas Knight (pregame)

Postby Sabrar » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:12 am UTC

Confirm

plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby plytho » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:21 am UTC

Confirm
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

Madge

Postby Madge » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:05 am UTC

Confirm
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:38 am UTC

Confirm
Image <-- Evil experiment

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:45 am UTC

Confirm

wam

Postby wam » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:52 pm UTC

Confirm
Come join us playing mafia signup here

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:57 pm UTC

Confirm.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades

Postby MasterOfAll » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:03 pm UTC

Here.

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:14 pm UTC

Confirm

bessie

Postby bessie » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:16 pm UTC

Confirm.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:07 pm UTC

Confirmaronie
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:34 pm UTC

There was a bit of confusion about the tied vote rules. Just to clarify, in a tied vote situation, the one has had the current number of votes OR MORE the longest up to the deadline will be lynched. Thus if player A is at 3 votes, and then player B is voted to put them also at 3 votes, then another player votes and unvotes player A (temporarily putting them at 4 votes), they will still be the one lynched in a tie breaker. On the other hand, if one of player A's voters subsequently unvotes then revotes, that will break the continuity and player B will be lynched. I've updated the rules post a little accordingly.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

dimochka
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Postby dimochka » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:54 pm UTC

Everyone but Mark has confirmed, so let's get y'all started.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

dimochka
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Postby dimochka » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:59 pm UTC

D1: 'Twas the Knight Before Christmas

jimbobmacdoodle: The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth…

dimochka: Err… Jimbob?

Jimbob: ... and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the…

dimochka: JIMBOB! Wrong game!

Jimbob: Oh, oops…. Let's try again. *Ahem*

There was a great hubbub going on in the Great Hall of Castle Xkcdia. All the Knights of the Square Table were gathered from across the land, along with the dozens of squires, ladies, priests, and assorted hangers on that accompanied them. All of them had gathered to prepare for the Grand Quest that took place over the Christmas Festival. Same as every year, much glory and fame was promised to those who succeeded.

Seated at the head table was Sir Jimbob, representative of the Great Lord Randall, in place by a vote of his peers, for the land was a “true” democracy (at least that's what the voting nobles told the peasants). As the last of the guests clanked into the Hall (for some reason it was considered fashionable to wear full plate to dinner around here), he rose to his feet.

“Honoured guests,” he shouted, trying to get the attention of everyone, with little success. Sighing, he turned to one of the court trumpeters and signalled to them. A loud fanfare followed, which silenced the chatter immediately.

“Ahem,” he began again. “Honoured guests, you are welcome once more to this fine castle, to celebrate the annual festival of Saint Nicholas. You are of course already well aware of what is to take place. We will soon begin our quest.”

One of the knights turned to his neighbour at that, looking a bit confused, “Quest? I thought we were just here to eat!?” The other knight sighed.

Sir Jimbob continued on. “Now you will all have received a letter explaining the rules as usual. The only thing left to do is for the court jester to assign you all your nicknames for this year's adventure. I have no idea why we do this, but if I end up with Sir KnightyMcKnightFace again, I think I might seek a new entertainer…

“Let me take this chance to remind you all that practical jokes and rank incompetence are strictly forbidden, and any culprits will be swiftly disposed of in a most appropriate manner.

“Enjoy your food. The quest will begin at dawn. Don't be late, or you will bring shame on yourself and your house.”

Day 1 begins now. Deadline will be in approximately 5 days.

Votals:

Not voting: Everybody

With 12 alive, it takes 7 to lynch.
Last edited by dimochka on Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:04 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

plytho

Re: Secret Santa 2018: A Christmas Knight (D1)

Postby plytho » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:25 pm UTC

Nice to see some unfamiliar faces.

SuicideJunkie, what's your mafia experience?
Master of all, you used to play here, right?

Vote wam

Wam's feeling kind of scummy this game.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:52 pm UTC

vote: bessie

Probably the only time I'll be able to vote for her this game.

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:11 pm UTC

I'm going to try and take it easy this game. Anyway, Bessie will be able to confirm that I am town from my confirmation post so I don't need to worry to much.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades

Postby MasterOfAll » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:14 pm UTC

plytho wrote:Master of all, you used to play here, right?
Yes, many years ago. But I also replaced into the Newbie New Year game way back at the beginning of 2018, and lurked my way to a scum win by coasting on the 'town slip' of the player I replaced.

Apologies in advance if I become demotivated and end up lurking too much in this game; hopefully if that does happen, there will be someone left on the replacement list.

But, there is no reason to vote for me in this game, as I am a mere Vanilla townie (thanks, secret santa; but at least I smell good; who doesn't like the smell of Vanilla?).

Welcome to the game, SuicideJunkie. Here, I got you something nice . . .

Vote: SuicideJunkie

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:17 pm UTC

Vote: Sabrar

For not being one of the first posters.

I think in this style of game we should probably mass claim D1.

Madge

Postby Madge » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:32 am UTC

I am looking forward to Bessie calling me scum and Sabrar defending me. I'm also looking forward to being COMPLETELY lost :lol:

My damn boss is playing christmas music on his computer, where the entire floor area can hear it. I am looking forward to seeing what's happening. Does anyone have anything to say that will help discussion D1? (I don't).
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

bessie

Postby bessie » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:16 am UTC

Confirmation posts: All acceptable.

Setup: 9-3.

Gojoe post: Maybe later.

Welcome newbies: SuicideJunkie, welcome and very happy to see that you signed up for a game! I know that you have been following along and have a game in the sign up queue, so you probably have an idea of how we do things, but please feel free to ask any questions.

Welcome returning players: MasterOfAll, very happy to see you decided to give this another try! I hope that the content level will be more manageable than Newbie New Year (I’m still not exactly sure how and why that game got so out of hand).

FoS Madge: Suspicious first post, already letting us know she will be lost this game, setting up an excuse for poor content and being scum read by me, and pre-enlisting Sabrar to defend her.

Ok Sabrar, what did I leave off the checklist?

Bonus observations:

Hmm, MoA is either lying or someone sucks for submitting a vanilla town role. IGMEOY MasterOfAll.

moody7277 wrote:vote: bessie

Probably the only time I'll be able to vote for her this game.
Why, do you know I’m not mafia so my super townie meta will protect me and you won’t have another chance? And why do you think that in this game you need to scum read me to vote for me? You voted for me in Texas Hold’em when you weren’t even scum reading me, you policy lynched me for being bessie. FoS moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I'm going to try and take it easy this game. Anyway, Bessie will be able to confirm that I am town from my confirmation post so I don't need to worry to much.
Soooo, your deliberately worded your confirmation post in such a way to ensure that it did not appear suspicious to me? Why did you feel the need to be deliberate? FoS BoomFrog.

LaserGuy wrote:I think in this style of game we should probably mass claim D1.
How about NOOOOO?? Hmmmm. FoS LaserGuy.

Madge

Postby Madge » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:30 am UTC

FoS bessie: can't take a joke

wait that's NAI for bessie... nvm :lol:

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:56 am UTC

Hi everybody!
I have zero actual experience here, but I've read a couple of games, and been thinking of ideas involuntarily. The DS9 one was particularly nifty.

I almost took Bessie's post header as official, but you're not a mod! Blame is on me for that, so you get away with it this time.

I'd have to agree that vanilla claim is a very poor lie, but it is so weak I'm not sure it means anything.

I don't think early claims are appreciated, but something more vague for flavour perhaps? Probably still not helpful to town.

Voting hijinks will upset me. Possibly unduly so. But if someone does that unvote/revote thing so they can vote for someone they don't actually want lynched... That'll be a double barrelled FoS from me.

I don't like how MoA is picking on the new guy for an easy vote. Smells scummy to me.

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:08 am UTC

Hmm now my paranoia is saying I should mention that I'm not equivocating on MoA. The vanilla thing smells neutral, not townie, and picking on me is a little scummy IMO.

Is being quiet more scummy than that? Probably is if the read isn't personal for you thanks to voting patterns. :P

bessie

Postby bessie » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:15 am UTC

SuicideJunkie, my post contains is a list of items Sabrar expects to see in my initial post. If any of these items are missing he will use it as a reason to scum read me in lieu of actually analyzing my content.

Madge wrote:FoS bessie: can't take a joke

wait that's NAI for bessie... nvm :lol:

Spoiler:
Well! Sniff.jpg
Well! Sniff.jpg (54.82 KiB) Viewed 5047 times

I don’t participate in RVS, but I don’t like to cut it off on page 1 and deprive everyone else of their fun.

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:19 am UTC

Er... Random Vote Shenanigans?

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:30 am UTC

Random voting stage, but basically yes.

bessie wrote:
BoomFrog wrote:I'm going to try and take it easy this game. Anyway, Bessie will be able to confirm that I am town from my confirmation post so I don't need to worry to much.
Soooo, your deliberately worded your confirmation post in such a way to ensure that it did not appear suspicious to me? Why did you feel the need to be deliberate? FoS BoomFrog.
No, was natural about what I posted but self aware as I did it.

Vote Sabrar

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:55 am UTC

So, not believing MasterOfAll's claim there. Unless one of you is really evil with the submitted role. (Welcome back! I have fond memories of Snakes and Ladders [Lovers Edition], where I miraculously always rolled the right thing, and even managed to win on the mafia side of it…)

Welcome to SuicideJunkie.

Madge is looking pretty typical (automatic scum-read, but probably not scummy), as is bessie (automatic town read, but worried she's going to trick us).

FoS Sabrar for not having a wall of text up by the time I get to my first post.

plytho

Postby plytho » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:55 am UTC

MasterOfAll wrote:
plytho wrote:Master of all, you used to play here, right?
Yes, many years ago. But I also replaced into the Newbie New Year game way back at the beginning of 2018, and lurked my way to a scum win by coasting on the 'town slip' of the player I replaced.

Apologies in advance if I become demotivated and end up lurking too much in this game; hopefully if that does happen, there will be someone left on the replacement list.
Interesting how you're tying lurkiness to scumminess.

LaserGuy wrote:I think in this style of game we should probably mass claim D1.
No, we shouldn't.
SuicideJunkie wrote:I don't think early claims are appreciated, but something more vague for flavour perhaps? Probably still not helpful to town.
Not even vague flavor.
Why did you consider if claims would be appreciated instead of if they're good for town?

SuicideJunkie wrote:I have zero actual experience here,

Do you have experience elsewhere?

bessie wrote:I don’t participate in RVS, but I don’t like to cut it off on page 1 and deprive everyone else of their fun.

So you want to vote someone seriously, but are waiting for page 2 to do so?

I'm reading the vanilla claim as a joke.

wam

Postby wam » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:31 am UTC

vote master of all

only one not to write confirm.

Fos Bessie for not calling this out. Probably scum together.

Ps not worrying about post length is a relief

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:28 am UTC

Spoiler:
- not gonna handle Gojoe posts, SuicideJunkie is not a newbie and has followed a few games here so he could be faking it based on previous discussions about townie-slips
- plytho's opening post is null
- moody gets a townie-point for the joke (bessie's FoS for the same is understandable but in my opinion misguided, she does not consider moody's long history of stating how she is always the most townie person)
- BoomFrog opens in classic BF-style, it gets him half of a townie-point
- MasterOfAll's claim is clearly a lie (or a claim-restriction like Madge had in Chaos). Actually the second would make more sense however I do not have a good feel for his playstyle yet, so might be coming from gambiting scum. Half a scum-point for now because I don't really much like how he spends so many words to say little.
- Laserguy wanting mass-claim is weird. Could be he has a role-related power/win-con (though I would expect him to proceed more carefully in that situation). His opening contribution is also lack-luster and not what I expected from him. 1 scum-point for now.
- I agree with bessie FoS-ing Madge on that opening post, although one small part gives me townie-vibes.
-
bessie wrote:Confirmation posts: All acceptable.
This is a bit strange coming from bessie who found wam suspicious in Halloween because of non-standard conf-post. I want to put this aside because of our discussion in Texas but then again she was scum there so might be some unconscious thing at work here.
bessie wrote:Setup: 9-3.
Weird how she doesn't explain herself and just automatically discards the possibility of an indie. While 9-3 is very reasonable and I don't think we have full SK, 8-3-1 is still easily possible with a number of indies.
bessie wrote:Soooo, your deliberately worded your confirmation post in such a way to ensure that it did not appear suspicious to me? Why did you feel the need to be deliberate? FoS BoomFrog.
This is double-standard, bessie did the same by conforming her opening analysis to my 'expectations'.
Looking at the post overall it looks to be standard bessie but easily replicated from scum!pov. Unfortunately bessie's town-percent is nowhere near the standard neighborhood.
- still in two minds about Madge
- SuicideJunkie's claim that he almost took bessie's header as official is weird, multiple players have already posted without any of that. Overall I don't get good vibes from his post. +1 scum-point for now. The second post just intensifies that. Looks more like nervous scum.
- bessie drawing renewed attention to the double-standard (actually this might earn her some townie-points, I think scum!her would have realized this earlier. Hmmmm, need more data).
- I'm taking away BoomFrog's half-point, being natural but self-aware at the same-time feels unlikely.
- mpolo starts out in typical fashion, I find him usually hard to read because he tends to produce less content to analyze. Null right now.
- liking plytho's second post except where he so easily reads the vanilla claim from MasterOfAll as a joke.
- wam's first post is very interesting if he's not just fooling around. Also it is too short by a mile, especially considering that PS. +1 scum-point as a first impression.
@bessie: why 9-3?
@MasterOfAll: why the early claim?
@SuicideJunkie: what is your opinion on bessie and plytho?
@wam: why not mention BoomFrog's conf-post?

Is Mark_Cangila aware that the game has started?

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:39 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:Is Mark_Cangila aware that the game has started?
No idea. His role PM is no longer in my outbox, but that might be because dimochka read it.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

wam

Postby wam » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:00 pm UTC

@sabrar because it did have confirm in it.

Agree with Bessie 9-3 is standard for 12 players but given the mods would they have gone with standard?

@ laser why?

Odd thing to say given how often we lynch vicarin for the same thing!

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:21 pm UTC

Well the most recent standard games of this size have had 2 1/2 scum, so 9-3 is the best minimum data guess, with 8-3-1 next most likely.

Definite no on D1 mass claim. D3 at some point is when I'd say that is appropriate.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:24 pm UTC

I don't think a mass claim is useful to town at this point. We don't know how creative people were, so judging towniness/scumminess from the role itself is going to be harder than usual — possibly. In any case, knowing who has the better power roles is likely better for scum than for town.

The town win-con may hint at there being some sort of independent element that is not a threat to the town. Or strange powers that could wipe out everyone, town and scum alike. (Or could be vacuously true.) Of course, there may also be an independent element that _is_ a threat to the town as well. I think it more likely than not: 8-3-1 as a spread, maybe? or even 8-2-2, if there is an innocuous indie? 9-3 is still possible, though.

MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades

Postby MasterOfAll » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:22 pm UTC

@Sabrar: I'll get back to you later on the Vanilla claim.

By the way, I *do* really like the smell of vanilla. It might be my favorite scent overall.

@SuicideJunkie: Don't worry about my vote on you. I just didn't want you to feel left out of the random voting stage. But, as a new player, you should know that it is exceedingly unlikely that you will be lynched here on D1. That doesn't mean your D1 posts won't be scrutinized and possibly used to lynch you on later days, but just don't worry about being lynched this first day and have fun with the game.

@Everyone who is familiar with the mods: How do you think they went about setting up the game? Fixing up our role submissions a bit, deciding on town-scum-indy balance, then just randomly assigning each role and alignment? Or would they be more likely to manually select things?

Not that I think that setup speculation serves much purpose on D1, but I am curious about the process our mods were likely to have used, as that information might be useful mid and late game.

@LaserGuy: I am at least willing to consider your reasoning for a D1 mass claim. So, what are you thinking everyone should claim (Rolename and ability?) and why do that here on D1?

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:09 pm UTC

"Here" being the context of mafia games. First game for me.

Why did you consider if claims would be appreciated instead of if they're good for town?
That's almost the same thing in my mind.
I was thinking more in general terms that early claims are poo-poohed across many games, because they are generally bad for town.
Flavour would be nice to have for its own sake, but not if it hurts our chances.

Re: Bessie:
Bessie does have that meta of Auto-Town. I'm not sure how much the avatar has to do with it, and how much is the small sample set of heroism and martyrdom from past games I saw. Fuzzier neutral than most? Gut towniness feel is probably false but that obviously doesn't mean scum either.

Re: plytho:
Not much to go on yet. I'm confused why "tying lurkiness to scumminess" is considered a bad thing. That's well known meta isn't it? Excusing yourself from lurk-scuminess could be legit or scummy in itself. MoA hasn't played in ages, so it could be legit.
The rest I can't disagree with.

Re: Boomfrog:
<martian>But... There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom gambit!</martian>

Re: Moody:
I hope that isn't leading to a joke about considering me worth half a player and therefore scum. That would just be mean. What I lack in experience and skill, I'll make up for with enthusiasm and maybe some hints that I have wildly OP pity-powers or maybe having baby seat powers so I can't accidentally ruin the game?
In all honesty, I trust that the mods have made things reasonably balanced, and there isn't anything too crazy like a vanilla role or an Omniscient Santa who already knows when we are sleeping, etc.

Re: MoA:
I'm not too worried about one "random" vote given the size of the crowd.
Random voting smells scummy to me. The main problem is deciding if it means the person is scum this game, or going to be scum next game.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:16 pm UTC

Ohh, hubris, free assosiation leaps of logic, and high volume. You are going to be fun to play with Junkie. :D

SuicideJunkie wrote:Random voting smells scummy to me. The main problem is deciding if it means the person is scum this game, or going to be scum next game.

What are you trying to say here?

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:30 pm UTC

Random voting sounds like a great shield to hide behind if you're scum. Blame the dice; odds are it will be a vote for town!
But it also needs to be prepared as an excuse to use by being random in previous games. So if you want to use the gambit, you need to use it while you're town too.

I could be mistaken, but I don't think people would (should?) believe in "random" if there isn't a history of it.

Return to “Mafia”