MMM II - Day 3: The Massacre at Munroe High

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

jimbobmacdoodle

Re: MMM II - Day 2: The Lobotomy in the Biology Lab

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:42 am UTC

I don't have anything from my own ability to report, but I was targeted by something. If anybody targeted me, it would be good to hear. More explanation later.

I'm betting that Znirk, or possibly Gopher, is adnapemit's target, based on them being her town reads. Not clear though what alignment her target is.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:18 am UTC

EBWOP: completely misremembered who adnapemit had listed as town. Moody and Znirk were her top town picks.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:22 am UTC

I have some very important information to reveal, but will hold off for a day or two.
Image <-- Evil experiment

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:50 pm UTC

So, it would appear that the doctor wasn't allowed to protect himself, because matt had to have known this was coming. Second is that SK holding back on kills seems to have become a more widely used strategy (thank you very much, SDK :roll: ), so I'm not comfortable dismissing more killing factions based on the single death.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

Madge

Postby Madge » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:11 pm UTC

mpolo wrote:I have some very important information to reveal, but will hold off for a day or two.

What if you don't survive? I assume you're confident that claiming you have useful information won't somehow get you killed?
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

generalz

Postby generalz » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:47 pm UTC

Unsurprising result for tonight indeed...

@Madge: I assume mpolo was talking about 1-2 RL days

I also got targeted by someone or something tonight (anonymous note requesting for a meeting) but I declined. It seems we have several roles around here based on anonymous notes, not sure this is a good thing or not...

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:50 pm UTC

If there were a daykill power, I have already made arrangements that my information can come out anyway. As generalz had said before, I was talking about RL days, not game days.

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:52 pm UTC

mpolo wrote:If there were a daykill power, I have already made arrangements that my information can come out anyway.

... did mpolo just admit to having a chat ability? At first I thought he might have a power like matt's where he gets to send an anonymous message to his target; but would the mods still relay that if he's dead?

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:52 pm UTC

generalz wrote:I also got targeted by someone or something tonight (anonymous note requesting for a meeting) but I declined. It seems we have several roles around here based on anonymous notes, not sure this is a good thing or not...
FoS: generalz

for knowing/assuming that matt didn't target him (or trying to bluff and confuse).

In other news Madge's confusion seems genuine to me so I find a possible mpolo-Madge scum-team unlikely.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:56 pm UTC

generalz wrote:Unsurprising result for tonight indeed...

@Madge: I assume mpolo was talking about 1-2 RL days

I also got targeted by someone or something tonight (anonymous note requesting for a meeting) but I declined. It seems we have several roles around here based on anonymous notes, not sure this is a good thing or not...
Did it specify to meet at a certain location, or was there any other instructions? If so, what were they? I think there is a distinct possibility that scum have abilities of this form as well as town, so the more info, the better. I'll share my decision and info in a bit. I have reason to believe that Matt might have accepted an invite.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:19 pm UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:Did [an anonymous note] specify to meet at a certain location, or was there any other instructions? If so, what were they? I think there is a distinct possibility that scum have abilities of this form as well as town, so the more info, the better. I'll share my decision and info in a bit. I have reason to believe that Matt might have accepted an invite.

Is this a reason you can expand on, at any point today?

I do have some information about how anonymous notes work. Are you prodding generalz specifically, or looking for information from any source?

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:23 pm UTC

I know it wasn't directed at me, but personally I would like to see all information made public about anonymous notes that doesn't lead to an unnecessary reveal. However I would like to see specific claims first and general info only later, so that scum has a harder time faking it.

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:46 pm UTC

Makes sense. In that case, my specific claim is: I can send an anonymous note (and thus have the instructions on how to do that), but did not last night. I did not receive one either.

Madge

Postby Madge » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:29 pm UTC

I sent an anonymous note last night, but looks like I won't need to do it again for the rest of the game. That said if my powers changed once they might change again, so who knows.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:02 pm UTC

Znirk wrote:Is this a reason you can expand on, at any point today?
The reason is tied to what I know about notes from last night. Of course, I can't be certain. I'd like to have everybody have a chance to make claims before explaining specifics, as suggested by Sabrar. For the record, my role does not allow me to send notes.

@Znirk, Madge and anybody else who can send notes: without going into what your role actually allows you to do, can you say what information there is in your note? I want to see if it lines up with my knowledge, and each other's. If there are some common patterns, we might be able to figure out some important information, e.g. this sort of message does not result in your death etc, so should be safe to accept (of course it could have other negative less visible effects).
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Madge

Postby Madge » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:28 pm UTC

My note asks the person I sent it to if they accept a proposal I make, and if they accept it, it helps me and does nothing to them. If they reject it, nothing happens. I only need to have someone accept my note once to get the benefit from it, and the person I targeted last night accepted it (thanks!), so I don't see myself needing to do it again (unless I get another surprise mod PM).

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:49 pm UTC

IGMEOY - jimbob

You seem to be fishing for information on the notes, which seems pretty scummy to me. Everyone already knew from matt's role that notes can be given, and it seems like most abilities may need the consent of the person for them to be used on. With the lack of a doc now, is it really worth accepting notes?

I myself can not send, and did not receive any notes.

Since adnap revealing indy sorta blew my theory out of the water, and their role seems to give no information on whether the person they were guarding was scum or town, there probably isn't much point in looking into their actions.

I'm getting more and more suspicious of Sabrar. So far today they have pretty much faffed about, saying obvious things and being vague.

Madge, it's now day 2. Do you have any reads on people?
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

Madge

Postby Madge » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:25 am UTC

It's been like one page :roll: , but sure, I'll give some more info on how I'm feeling.

- Sabrar has been chatty which is consistent Sabrar. On the do not lynch side because talkative town is great, talkative scum is better because they can slip up
- Znirk scummy for doing what looks to me like coaching a buddy in his first post, jumps on mpolo's possible hint at being a mason.
- Jimbob is being very townie in his reactions to things that he presumably found out last night
- Mpolo holding off on info is good town move, fairly good scum move though (can make his info fit the circumstances that arise so he's not making an inconsistent claim). Neutral/town (will probably be able to test his info in the future so will hopefully be easy to make a decent crack at this one)
- Moody makes the very obvious conclusion that doc wasn't allowed to self target which seems weird to me, and speculating the SK was withholding kills as well. Just a weird post. Scummy.
- Generalz is the first to bring up anonymous notes. Slightly townie.

At the moment Znirk's the scummiest to me with moody a close second.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:45 am UTC

@generalz and moody: I don't think it was such an obvious play to NK matt. FMPOV, matt was very scummy-looking, and if he hadn't been able to verify his claim might have made for a good lynch target. It was entirely within the realm of possibility to not NK matt, allow the suspicion to build (why didn't you get NK'd after claiming doc?) and let town do the dirty work.

I also have a power which works by sending an anonymous offer and having my target accept/reject it, which I used last night. I have absolutely no idea what those notes look like to the recipent, though, so I can't shed any light there. My recipient accepted the offer (though obviously they won't know it was my offer they accepted) and may be able to shed more light on what it looks like from the other side.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:51 am UTC

Gopher of Pern wrote:Everyone already knew from matt's role that notes can be given, and it seems like most abilities may need the consent of the person for them to be used on. With the lack of a doc now, is it really worth accepting notes?
I had no idea that there could be multiple roles that give out notes and my ability does not require another player's consent. So no, this news came to me as a surprise as well and would be interested in learning more. Also, if there are multiple such roles out there, some of them has to belong to Town still. Why would you automatically refuse them?

Gopher of Pern wrote:I'm getting more and more suspicious of Sabrar. So far today they have pretty much faffed about, saying obvious things and being vague.
LOL. It's been 24 hours and we are still waiting for claims to come in to have something to talk about. Also you must have missed my FoS on generalz. Was seriously tempted to just copy-paste my reaction to Carlington from D1. Please tell me you were joking.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:58 am UTC

EBWOP:
Madge wrote:- Znirk scummy for doing what looks to me like coaching a buddy in his first post,
Could you explain this in more detail? Why would anyone coach their buddy out in the open, rather than in pm?

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:33 am UTC

Gopher of Pern wrote:With the lack of a doc now, is it really worth accepting notes?

Two words for you: Investigation roles. I agree there's cause for caution - there may be an SK, and Madge mentioned masons - but given the other things going on it may well be that cops etc. also need permission to check their target. Clearly notes are risky to accept, but just blanket-rejecting them isn't necessarily helpful for town. Flip a coin, maybe?

Sabrar wrote:EBWOP:
Madge wrote:- Znirk scummy for doing what looks to me like coaching a buddy in his first post,
Could you explain this in more detail? Why would anyone coach their buddy out in the open, rather than in pm?

I scratched my head on that as well ("So wait: did I ask a scumbuddy, whom despite the lack of chat I know to be a watcher, to target a person who has already died?"). I do now have a hypothesis on what she may have meant, but probably shouldn't go into detail before we get more information about anonymous notes out in the open.

But yes, actually, ->Madge: What flavour of scum were you thinking of here? Mafia and masonry presumably have their chats, and serial killers tend to have no mates.

Madge

Postby Madge » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:58 am UTC

I'm not holding e.g. traitors as impossible, or scum who don't have daychat, etc. I wouldn't put beyond DJ's taste.

generalz

Postby generalz » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:40 am UTC

Sabrar wrote:
generalz wrote:I also got targeted by someone or something tonight (anonymous note requesting for a meeting) but I declined. It seems we have several roles around here based on anonymous notes, not sure this is a good thing or not...
FoS: generalz

for knowing/assuming that matt didn't target him (or trying to bluff and confuse).

I did not want to claim that right away but I have an ability that works with sending anonymous notes too.
When jimbob said "I got targeted by something" I assumed he got an anonymous note as well.
So for me it was logical that we had even more roles working with anonymous notes...

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:14 am UTC

I received a message to meet someone in the Locker Room hallway in 22 minutes. I was allowed to pass one private message back and forth after being assured in boldface that my partner was town (presumably, he was also informed that I am town). Which essentially means that I have two cop results, one town and one mafia. Although with what I'm hearing about the messages, I don't know that I would accept a second one.

But honestly, I'm not going to wait any more to reveal my mafia result:

Gopher of Pern (formerly heuristically_alone) is Mafia.

Vote: Gopher of Pern

Flavorwise, I followed him into a hallway (being nerdily observant), saw weapons and saw him talking to one or more other persons.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:31 am UTC

@mpolo: I hope you will reveal your town result as well before N2.
@all: please don't vote yet, we want to use the available time to discuss other claims as well and hammering too quickly would prevent that.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:42 am UTC

EBWOP:

UnFoS generalz

was writing out a larger reply when I saw mpolo's claim.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:04 pm UTC

Collecting claims regarding anonymous notes for easier reference:

Carlington: sent invite, it was accepted
generalz: received invite, declined, also has ability to send invite
Gopher of Pern: can't send invite, also did not receive any
jimbob: received invite, has reason to believe matt accepted an invite, can't send invite
Madge: sent invite, it was accepted
mpolo: received invite, accepted -> Mason-like 1-time chat
Sabrar: received invite, can't send any
Znirk: can send invite but did not, also didn't receive any

@dimochka, moody: anything to add?
@Carlington, Madge: did you receive any invites?
@mpolo: just for completeness' sake, can you send any invites?
@generalz: did you send any invites?

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:34 pm UTC

I only have my cop ability, or a self-defence ability (I can choose which to use).

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:18 pm UTC

I did not receive any notes last night.

As for mpolo's claim about Gopher, I think the standard protocol will work here (we lynch Gopher, and iff he flips town we lynch mpolo). Heck, I was voting h_a before he got subbed out for Gopher, so I think it's more likely than not that mpolo's genuine.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

Madge

Postby Madge » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:07 pm UTC

I didn't receive notes either.

Willing to trust our claimed cop, though bit suspicious why mpolo would claim his self defense abilities for the same reason Sabrar was confused as to why I'd claim unkillable.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:27 pm UTC

@moody: please let us also know whether you have the ability to send notes and if you do whether you used your ability N1.

@Madge: mpolo claiming self-defense is a bit different from your case and I can see the reasons behind it.

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:29 pm UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:@Znirk, Madge and anybody else who can send notes: without going into what your role actually allows you to do, can you say what information there is in your note?

I'm not sure if I can. My role pm says that the mods will forward an anonymous note to the target of my power. The way I read this, I can write whatever I want under no constraints other than that the note be anonymous and that it propose a meeting with me which the target can accept (so my power kicks in) or refuse (nothing happens). However, I have no information on whether the mods add any information to that, as mpolo seems to claim about the note he has received.

My power is a one-shot, and it may be important to note that it is not used up by a failed invitation (i.e. if the target refuses to meet me).

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:45 pm UTC

mpolo wrote:I received a message to meet someone in the Locker Room hallway in 22 minutes. I was allowed to pass one private message back and forth after being assured in boldface that my partner was town (presumably, he was also informed that I am town). Which essentially means that I have two cop results, one town and one mafia. Although with what I'm hearing about the messages, I don't know that I would accept a second one.

... actually. There's something in this claim which rings a bit wrong, given what I've seen of mafia in general and this game in particular. In a game that is generally all about paranoia and deciding whether to trust someone based on incomplete information and interpersonal impressions, would the mods really confirm someone's alignment just like that?

I guess it's possible that the person who invited mpolo has a "reverse cop" role which lets them prove their alignment to their night target; but the combination of that with a one-off chat ability available at the same time once again seems a bit off in a game which, as mpolo himself claims, makes other people choose between different mutually exclusive role powers.

Sabrar wrote:mpolo: received invite, accepted -> Mason-like 1-time chat

Maybe. But then, just maybe, it's mpolo: received invite, accepted -> Mason. I for one am very curious who his "town" result is.

Also, since I'm picking on mpolo already:
mpolo wrote:I only have my cop ability, or a self-defence ability (I can choose which to use).

That doesn't technically answer Sabrar's question whether you can (or rather: have to) send invites to your targets.

generalz

Postby generalz » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:04 pm UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:Did it specify to meet at a certain location, or was there any other instructions? If so, what were they? I think there is a distinct possibility that scum have abilities of this form as well as town, so the more info, the better. I'll share my decision and info in a bit. I have reason to believe that Matt might have accepted an invite.

The location was the boys bathroom. That sounded fishy, this is why I didn't accept.

Sabrar wrote:@generalz: did you send any invites?

Yes and it was accepted. I don't feel comfortable revealing more for now though.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:15 pm UTC

Update:

Carlington: sent invite, it was accepted
generalz: received invite, declined, also sent invite, it was accepted
Gopher of Pern: can't send invite, also did not receive any
jimbob: received invite, has reason to believe matt accepted an invite, can't send invite
Madge: sent invite, it was accepted
moody: did not receive invite
mpolo: received invite, accepted -> Mason-like 1-time chat, can't send invite (assumed)
Sabrar: received invite, can't send any
Znirk: can send invite but did not, also didn't receive any

@Znirk: I feel that you are nit-picking too much on mpolo, though I also have some doubts about him. Definitely need his chat-partner to confirm that mods confirmed both as Town, I believe that information would help us more than it would hurt.

generalz wrote:I don't feel comfortable revealing more for now though.
Didn't ask for more, though I think after everyone claimed to the above list it would be nice if we could have targets and locations next (and I mean next as in still on D2). That would really clear things up, without having to reveal specific abilites.

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:33 pm UTC

Znirk wrote:My role pm says that the mods will forward an anonymous note to the target of my power.

OK, update: After asking for a power clarification, the mods have now informed me that "forward" is perhaps not the most accurate description ... they themselves write the note, I only decide who receives it.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:52 pm UTC

Znirk wrote:
mpolo wrote:I received a message to meet someone in the Locker Room hallway in 22 minutes. I was allowed to pass one private message back and forth after being assured in boldface that my partner was town (presumably, he was also informed that I am town). Which essentially means that I have two cop results, one town and one mafia. Although with what I'm hearing about the messages, I don't know that I would accept a second one.

... actually. There's something in this claim which rings a bit wrong, given what I've seen of mafia in general and this game in particular. In a game that is generally all about paranoia and deciding whether to trust someone based on incomplete information and interpersonal impressions, would the mods really confirm someone's alignment just like that?

I was being a little unforthcoming there — I got not just one message exchange (though at the time of posting, I had only done one exchange), but I was actually recruited into the mason group, with whom I now have chat. We were guaranteed explicitly in the "welcome" message in boldface that all members of the masons were town. One of my mason buddies is planning on revealing himself sooner or later today, and I can confirm him when that happens.

I did not (and cannot) send any message. I don't quite see how my claimed powers would have worked with a message anyway, so didn't think it necessary to explicitly say that. Sorry if this was confusing.

dimochka
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Postby dimochka » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:54 pm UTC

sorry, weekends are not good for me. i very quickly skimmed and just adding a bit of info for completeness sake. i'll be able to reply better tomorrow.
1. I received a note last night and accepted it. i'm guessing it was for flavor purposes, but i got invited to the "stairwell"
2. I have a one-shot ability to send a note (I don't want to go into details, but i'm actually a bit surprised that it's one-shot). I did not use it last night.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:17 pm UTC

Updated once more because I forgot to include Madge's additonal info previously, also standardised format a bit:

Carlington: sent invite, accepted
dimochka: received invite, accepted; can send 1-shot invite but did not
generalz: received invite, declined; sent invite, accepted
Gopher of Pern: did not receive invite; can't send invite
jimbob: received invite; can't send invite; has reason to believe matt accepted an invite
Madge: did not receive invite; sent invite, it was accepted; 1-shot
moody: did not receive invite
mpolo: received invite, accepted -> Mason-group; can't send invite
Sabrar: received invite; can't send any
Znirk: did not receive invite; can send invite but did not

@Carlington: did you receive any invites?
@moody: please let us also know whether you have the ability to send notes and if you do whether you used your ability N1.

Already I think it is clear that we should be able to catch some liars with this info, having targets/locations/acceptance next would be great.

Return to “Mafia”