Hangafia - Game over - Perfect Town win.

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread
Posts: 3928
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:32 am UTC
Location: AL

Re: Hangafia - Day 1. Where are we?

Postby Sungura » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:02 am UTC

I have not received any PM's at all so I can't help shed light on the shifting.

I don't think it's "bad that we haven't been scum hunting" and in fact I think all the discussion we've had and various accusations and suspicions could well be a big help, if not now, then later in the game. As long as people are talking, we can scum-hunt. That's kinda how this game works.

The more Nebuduck and Carlington post the more they confuse me, so right now I'm just working on trying to sort that out in my brain because the way they've latched onto each other (moreso Nebu on Carlington) strikes me as quite odd.

As to MaJ's title - I can confirm it is old and has funny origin =) It is not something new.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

User avatar
VectorZero
Posts: 471
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:22 am UTC
Location: Kensington

Re: Hangafia - Day 1. Where are we?

Postby VectorZero » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:43 am UTC

Van wrote:Nebuduck claims to have not done this. Given that Nebuduck had just posted about the risk of trusting something someone says in PMs, I really believe that it is not Nebuduck's power that caused this.

From what I know of Nebuduck, your conclusion does not follow from your premise.

I will

vote: Van

for RR to have daychat with. I'm doubtful of the value to town arising from a D1 daychat chosen largely at random; I think linking three people together has the best chance of generating a degree of trust or conversely an opportunity for scum to slip up.
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

User avatar
VectorZero
Posts: 471
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:22 am UTC
Location: Kensington

Re: Hangafia - Day 1. Where are we?

Postby VectorZero » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:45 am UTC

Amy wrote:I don't think it's "bad that we haven't been scum hunting" and in fact I think all the discussion we've had and various accusations and suspicions could well be a big help, if not now, then later in the game. As long as people are talking, we can scum-hunt. That's kinda how this game works.

This is the most correct thing that has been posted so far, including Dr Ug stating the game has started.
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

User avatar
quintopia
Posts: 2906
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:53 am UTC
Location: atlanta, ga

Re: Hangafia - Day 1. Where are we?

Postby quintopia » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:49 am UTC

VectorZero, I just realized that you have yet to post anything of substance, and now you have posted twice in a row saying nothing more than "I vote Van" and "Amy is cool". Since it is now the weekend and your excuse has expired, would you please kindly give your personal opinions on everything that has transpired so far? No need to be wordy or anything, I just want to get an idea of what you have to contribute.

User avatar
Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread
Posts: 3928
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:32 am UTC
Location: AL

Re: Hangafia - Day 1. Where are we?

Postby Sungura » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:35 am UTC

I'm sick of playing this game safe, I originally thought I'd try to last day one, and give RR time to use his power. I've been giving RR all the fucking time in the world to start a daychat and all the hints I can, and he still hasn't. I always die right away anyway, unless people WIFOM me, so whatever. Done.

FOS: VectorZero

Whenever someone quotes me like "yeah cool mate, I agree!" 9/10 times they are mafia or at least anti-town.

FOS: Nebuduck
FOS: Carlington

Nebu is playing too close to his meta to be 'safe' but he is being reserved, for one. For two he dug his grave more, almost every time he starts going back and forth with someone, they are both scum. It's like, classic play for him. He gets people into that back and forth and people kill one or the other and assume the one left is safe. If I had to vote right now, it would be for either of them.

This brings up my theory - that the original posting was fucked up by accident. How you ask? Well often times even I, as mod, assigned roles down the list. Nebu and Carlington are right next to each other. I think this role switching is the mod covering themself. In the next few days I plan on re-reading this thread a few times, and looking at what I think about the rest of the people around them at the top. I remember Madge striking me as scummy but I can't remember why I need to re-read. But that is a pretty hefty scum unit fleshed out then (link to the listing of the original post). I could also see in a game like this a couple of small scum units, so while it may not be the entire "top of the list" I do seriously wonder if they are grouped, by accident, in the original listing.

This is what I meant, - the discussion we've had IS fleshing out the scum - you just have to /look for it/. OH MY WHAT A CONCEPT. Our very act of talking, IS scum-hunting, so to all you "oh we aren't focusing on scum we are focusing on RR", uhm, you are totally wrong.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

User avatar
RoadieRich
The Black Hand
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:40 am UTC
Location: Behind you

Re: Hangafia - Day 1. Where are we?

Postby RoadieRich » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:46 am UTC

Just a quick votals before I go to bed. I had a post written, but got ninja'd by Sungura, so it'll have to wait until morning.

Referendum Votals (26 Players):

SPACKlick: 6 (Quintopia, Nebuduck, Minestrone, Madge, Van, Moody7277)
Kalira: 1 (weiyaoli)
Van: 5 (frogman, ThinkSweet, MoA, Azrael001, VectorZero)
Frogman: 1 (Sungura)
Total: 13 (huzzah, half!)

Deadline for Daychat Referendum Votes is Saturday at Noon UTC (2015-07-11T12:00Z).
73, de KE8BSL loc EN26.

User avatar
quintopia
Posts: 2906
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:53 am UTC
Location: atlanta, ga

Re: Hangafia - Day 1. Where are we?

Postby quintopia » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:07 am UTC

Sungura: I agree with you on VectorZero (as I have already demonstrated), but the other accusations seem a little quick to me. I know nothing about Nebuduck's meta, but I have seen some of Carlington, and so far, he is neutral-to-town for me. I notice that you aren't getting enough scum feel from them to actually cast a vote, so could you just say on a scale from 1 to 10, if you were forced to vote for Nebuduck right now, how confident would you feel in your vote? For Carlington?

User avatar
ThinkSweet
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:04 am UTC
Location: Australia

Re: Hangafia - Day 1. Where are we?

Postby ThinkSweet » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:51 pm UTC

Interesting developments. I find the Van/Nebuduck PM pretty suspicious. especially after RR's claim, I'm not prepared to take that at face value. for me it seems more likely that one of them has the power and is lying about it than someone else can connect two other players! Not discounting the latter, but if you were a scum equivalent of RR's role then to use your power once he'd claimed in thread you would need some excuse since another random townie PM power would be very suspicious!

So I'm not sure now if it's a good thing or not to have RR contact Van? Van posted first in thread about the Mod PM which is either a Townie (or independent) move, or cleverly WIFOM scum move. It was brought up initially as to do with the rearranging though and given Amy's post, my theory would be that Nebu is the one who initiated the PM and is lying about it. If so, Van should definitely not try and make it a three way thing if they end up with the most votes. If it is Van, I'd be very interested in RR's thoughts afterwards. But for now I'm sure enough to:

Vote: Nebuduck
</rant>

User avatar
Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread
Posts: 3928
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:32 am UTC
Location: AL

Re: Hangafia - Day 1. Where are we?

Postby Sungura » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:28 pm UTC

Quintopia - the reason I didn't vote is to give RR a change to use his ability already. With the continually extended deadlines and caveats and addenums I got tired of waiting until after that happened to point fingers and vote.

If I were forced to vote now, I would be confident enough to vote either Carlington or Nebuduck as I am quite sure both are scum.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

User avatar
RoadieRich
The Black Hand
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:40 am UTC
Location: Behind you

Re: Hangafia - Day 1. Where are we?

Postby RoadieRich » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:52 pm UTC

I think I might break my own rule, and contribute to the target choice. Van is only one vote behind SPACKlick, and a number of people have expressed dissatisfaction with SPACKlick as choice.

I'm going to add my own vote to Van, and will ask her to ask Nebuduck to post a shibboleth. That way, at least we can check if they actually have day chat.

I'll send the pm to Ug in about 1 hour, unless anyone comes up with a good reason not to.
73, de KE8BSL loc EN26.

User avatar
ElectricHaze
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 2:54 am UTC

Re: Hangafia - Day 1. Where are we?

Postby ElectricHaze » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:50 pm UTC

I'm not sure I agree with Van as a target for this daychat. A threeway conversation that relies on one party to relay messages has a lot of potential pitfalls. Van could change messages, or one or both of Nebuduck and RR could claim messages they sent through Van were edited even if they are not....

On top of that Sungura makes a good point about Nebuduck attacking Carlington. I'm not as familiar with player meta to make the call to lynch either right now, but attacking a scum mate to make one of the pair look good if either is lynched/killed down the line seems like a viable strategy, and I will go back and look at the interaction more closely to see if I think that is going on.

In the meantime I don't know that it is entirely in the best interest to setup a three-way convo that includes one party that I have a reasonable suspicion against.

I don't really have a preference for the daychat target, just not Van
Who has never killed an hour? Not casually or without thought, but carefully: a premeditated murder of minutes.

User avatar
Minestrone
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:21 pm UTC

Re: Hangafia - Day 1. Where are we?

Postby Minestrone » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:04 pm UTC

RR makes a good point about checking Van and Nebuduck's daychat by having Van relay a code word to Nebuduck. That alone seems like a good reason, as Van and Nebu being lying scumbuddies is at least a possibility. As far as Van falsely relaying information, it won't' affect that particular test since it's in Van's interest for the information to be properly relayed, and in general there's no special need for a 3 way conversation to take place just because Van could relay messages, so there's no real downside. As far as trustworthyness and skepticism, I think Van is about as good as SPACK on those fronts, so I'll go ahead and

Unvote SPACKlick
Vote: Van


for RR's power

User avatar
Minestrone
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:21 pm UTC

Re: Hangafia - Day 1. Where are we?

Postby Minestrone » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:21 pm UTC

I don't like Carlington's comments distancing scumhunting from discussion but having played with Carlington in Chaos Mafia and keeping in mind that he's newish to mafia, I don't find them especially scummy. As for Carlington and Nebuduck, what makes Nebuduck's attack on Carlington look like scum distancing as opposed to scum attacking a townie or a townie attacking someone they find scummy? I'm reading most of the active posters (SPACKlick, Van, RR) as town for their activity, the exception being Nebuduck, who has been rather active but whose style (and possibly this is just style and not alignment) rubs me the wrong way, especially volunteering so early for the RR power. Depending on how things go today I might be in favor of a lurker lynch, given that a) this mod seems a lot more lenient to lurking than in most games I've played, b) I'm feeling kind of overwhelmed by 24 players and will be able to read much better when a lynch and some NKs have thinned the herd of people to read, and c) lurking seems an especially viable scum strategy in a game this size, where enough other people will post that you could be forgotten. Again though it depends on whether something more interesting comes up.

Speaking of lurkers:

Jar'O'Jam: Do you have a posting restriction? If you aren't allowed to talk about it just don't say anything, but if you are allowed to talk about it or don't have one please give us an answer in your next post so we can take silence on the issue as "yes, I have a posting restriction."

User avatar
ElectricHaze
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 2:54 am UTC

Re: Hangafia - Day 1. Where are we?

Postby ElectricHaze » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:46 pm UTC

For me what makes it look scummy is that he picked a lurker supposedly at random and is attacking them pretty consistently, even when they stopped lurking, and for reasons that as I'm going back over them are pretty thin. I don't know Nebuduck enough as a player to say whether or not he just latches onto people like that, but to go from lurker vote to your excuses for lurking are scummy as well to your one bit of content is total scum as well is a bit harsh, and it pings as a bit scummy to me.

I don't know that I can say the same about Carlington. Meta arguments like "that's how they always play" don't sit well with me unless I have also witnessed that player making those plays, and I'm not about to go back and read all of Nebuducks games to see if Sungara is accurate in that assessment of his meta. To me it could just as easily be "pick a lurker and attack them, and it generates discussion at the least" It still feels a bit on the scummy side if that is the scenario, but less so. I have some doubts, but there is enough suspicion there to give me pause. Especially because of this already existing daychat, because what if Van happens to be anti-town either on Nebuducks team or a different faction or a solo role.... In my opinion Van alone can be a pretty sneaky player, and I'm not sure I want them involved in such a position with a high possibility for manipulation of information.

We already have a lot of stuff going on here, and personally I think a 1 on 1 daychat that we set up is more conducive to answering questions rather than creating more. Adding RR to this mix adds a lot more questions for me and answers 2 more or less unimportant questions (does RR actually have daychat? and Are Van and Nebuduck talking?)

If Van and Nebuduck are talking then we already know that and have just confirmed it which doesn't say much. If RR daychats Van then we confirm he has a power he claimed. If RR daychats someone else we get to add a 4th person to this mix we still verify RR's power and we add a new connection to a 4th player and get some info there.
Who has never killed an hour? Not casually or without thought, but carefully: a premeditated murder of minutes.

User avatar
quintopia
Posts: 2906
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:53 am UTC
Location: atlanta, ga

Re: Hangafia - Day 1. Where are we?

Postby quintopia » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:58 pm UTC

I'm actually not opposed to RR->Van->Nebu. I feel like depending on what they can tell us about what they talk about and what happens in the night--in a game this size, there are almost certainly cops and/or vigs, right?--we could get a lot of ideas about who they are and what they are doing. In fact, I like those possibilities enough to

Unvote SPACK
Vote Van

User avatar
Van
Posts: 418
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:15 pm UTC
Location: 39.74, -105.12ish

Re: Hangafia - Day 1. Where are we?

Postby Van » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:08 pm UTC

I haven't been talking a ton with Nebuduck since I've been super busy and I'm still kind of suspicious of him (see lack of unvoting). Admittedly, it's not a lot to go on, but it's D1, so...

Brief thoughts on thread:
SPACKlick wrote:Late at night for me now but I wanted to post to say I find the Nebuduck&Van thing suspicious. And will assume that one of them had the power to initiate their daychat.
Agreed. Which is why I decided to claim in-thread almost immediately when I was contacted - why would Nebuduck post against the usefulness of daychatting when he had a chat power himself? Someone (I can't find the post now) said this fits his meta, which ... man, that's just WIFOM all the way down.

Regarding the RR chat thing: I'm kind of shocked you guys want me to be the target, but I'll still do it. The codeword thing is a brilliant idea for vetting our communication though. I'll be kind of busy for a lot of today, but I'll check my PMs so we can keep this moving.
Oregonaut wrote:You are a fucking idiot. (Insult.)
You say that you disapprove of sex before marriage, but you are fucking that idiot. (Ad hominem.)
You say that you disapprove of sex outside of marriage, but you are fucking your mom. (Ad mominem.)

User avatar
Nebuduck
Posts: 318
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:45 pm UTC
Location: Old Blighty

Re: Hangafia - Day 1. Where are we?

Postby Nebuduck » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:53 pm UTC

Interesting, everything seems to be focusing on me.

So, for starters, I have nothing to do with the day chat with Van. If I were scummy, and had the ability to daychat, here are some reasons I wouldn't choose Van:

- Van had already voted for me. In my experience, people like their votes to be validated, and starting a day chat with Van would give her a pretty good way to claim I was being scummy.
- I've never played with Van before (I last played mafia here in 2008, which was before Van joined). I'd be much more likely to chose someone like Sungura or RoadieRich where i have some idea what sort of response they might have.
- From a practical point of view, it's nice to daychat to someone who is in the same timezone (UK) as you (even if I particularly wanted to chat to Van, I don't think we'd have managed more than a few message iterations by this point).
- And finally, I like doing interesting things. At the moment, the person who has made themselves most interesting is RR. So, honestly, I'd probably choose him. Might also give us an opportunity to do something interesting three-way-chat wise without having to rely on Van being chosen to chat.

With regards to the Carlington thing, meh. I made a couple of posts on him early on, because I like choosing someone fairly inactive and prodding them. He then made a post which seemed really incriminating to me (which is often what happens if you prod inactive scummy players), so I solidified my vote for him. If that makes me seem scummy, so be it. Seemed like good strategy to me. He still seems scummy to me, so not touching that vote.

User avatar
Jar'O'Jam
Posts: 321
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:33 pm UTC

Re: Hangafia - Day 1. Where are we?

Postby Jar'O'Jam » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:44 pm UTC

Minestrone wrote:Jar'O'Jam: Do you have a posting restriction? If you aren't allowed to talk about it just don't say anything, but if you are allowed to talk about it or don't have one please give us an answer in your next post so we can take silence on the issue as "yes, I have a posting restriction."


Well, forgive me if my speech is slurred, you lot aren't better yourselves. Whatever you mean by "posting restrictions", I don't have 'em. We seem to have more pressing issues at hand, don't we? The dead body, right? I say we lynch whoever left their room last. Y'know, the killers don't like to revisit the murder scene and all that?
Image
Agronica - my musical outlet for the past couple of years - give it a listen at Soundcloud

User avatar
RoadieRich
The Black Hand
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:40 am UTC
Location: Behind you

Re: Hangafia - Day 1. Where are we?

Postby RoadieRich » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:05 pm UTC

Jar'O'Jam wrote:Whatever you mean by "posting restrictions", I don't have 'em.

Jar'O'Jam wrote:Y'know, the killers don't like to revisit the murder scene and all that?

As the opposite is well known, is say JoJ dies have a paying restriction, but must deny it for whatever reason.

Jar'O'Jam wrote:I say we lynch whoever left their room last.


Not sure what to make of that. Do you have information you're trying to share through the restriction you don't have? The flavor doesn't mention anything about the order.

Could "leaving their room" mean making a post in the thread? In which case, I think mega, MaJ and cycoden still haven't "left their room", making the last person to leave JoJ himself.

Alternatively, it could be taken to mean "the poster before me", which would be Nebuduck.
73, de KE8BSL loc EN26.

User avatar
RoadieRich
The Black Hand
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:40 am UTC
Location: Behind you

Re: Hangafia - Day 1. Where are we?

Postby RoadieRich » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:14 am UTC

So, I attempted to PM with Van, but I've been informed that nothing happened.

There's four obvious options I can see:

1. I've been roleblocked.
2. Van has been blocked as a target (either as a consequence of the conversation with Nebuduck, or after that was started).
3. One of Nebuduck or Van stole my power, or
4. Someone else stole my power, and used it to enable Van and Nebuduck's conversation.

3 and 4 are the most interesting to me: The obvious implication is that one (or both of them) are scum, but that way lies plenty of spilt wine.

There's also 5, I was lying all along, although I can't think of any reason to do that other than being a Jester.

Not sure what to make of it currently.
73, de KE8BSL loc EN26.

User avatar
ElectricHaze
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 2:54 am UTC

Re: Hangafia - Day 1. Where are we?

Postby ElectricHaze » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:09 am UTC

Interesting. My guess is that your ability is blocked because the target is already in a conversation. That just seems like the simplest and easiest answer here. The other possibilities are certainly something to keep in mind. A role blocker could have used a power on you since you announced, and there are no better targets atm.

I also, can't come up with a compelling reason for you to lie about your power other than Jester for now. It seems like a really gutsy move for scum to make, but if that is what you are doing it is certainly working on me for now because I read this as pretty towny.
Who has never killed an hour? Not casually or without thought, but carefully: a premeditated murder of minutes.

User avatar
quintopia
Posts: 2906
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:53 am UTC
Location: atlanta, ga

Re: Hangafia - Day 1. Where are we?

Postby quintopia » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:14 am UTC

Were you also informed that the failed attempt counted against you and you can't attempt another chat this Day?

User avatar
VectorZero
Posts: 471
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:22 am UTC
Location: Kensington

Re: Hangafia - Day 1. Where are we?

Postby VectorZero » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:08 am UTC

Posting on phone so analysis is limited to recent history. So long as I keep my 100% record of Sungura thinking I'm scum intact, I'm happy.

Thoughts: RR could be anything from town (blocked by scum roleblocker or hijacked by a role thief) to jester (self explanatory) to scum (though pretty ballsy move) and probably needs to die to clear the air (unless at some point we find a scum roleblocker) but hopefully we can do better with the D1 lynch. The most interesting player currently, to borrow from Nebu.

Quin: actively discussing and I agree with his interpretation of most things. Townish

ElectricHaze: pinging scummy for suggested reason why RR chat attempt failed. Surely role blocking is the most obvious option, possibly followed by role thief. Possibly scum covering own action. Also was against the RR-Van-Nebu chat.

(Hmm. Van or Nebu could be a role thief.)

Sungura: neutral leaning town. Capable of provoking town discussion as scum but being opinionated enough to make me think she's town.

Joj: could be anything but definitely not to be lynched today.

Nebu: scummy vibe (possibly contributed by the daychat with van thingy) but kinda how I remember him playing (though that was more years ago than I can easily count.)

Carlington: haven't seen them play before but if newbie then town.

Minestrone: lots of words for little content, favouring lurker lynching when there are replacements and prods ongoing. Neutral pinging scummy.

Think sweet: posits that one of van/Nebu is lying and intentionally set up their daychat. If that is true I agree Nebu is the more likely of the two to be scum. No vibes re think sweet either way.

Space click: active, reasonable conclusions, townie

Wei: neutral

Master: neutral vaguely town

Az versus infina: don't have time to go back to what sparked that exchange, will review later.

Vote: ElectricHaze

For suggesting anti town suggestions

FoS Nebu and minestrone
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

User avatar
ElectricHaze
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 2:54 am UTC

Re: Hangafia - Day 1. Where are we?

Postby ElectricHaze » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:04 am UTC

I get that you are on a phone, but did you not read my post? I said I think the most likely reason for RR being blocked is because the same ability is already active on Van due to the chat with Nebuduck, and then go on to say or role-blocked. That's right up there in my 2 big suspicions for why the ability didn't work. Role-thief would be dumb, unless they have some wacky thieving ability that changes what they steal, or RR lied about how his ability works and he can set up chats between any two people. Why would a role-thief steal that ability and make themselves a target by using it and getting it announced, unless they thought it was a copy and RR would still be able to use his ability.... Role-blocker is much more likely, but that seems kinda dumb as well because all it does is add the possibility of a role-blocker to the discussion, and if you were a scum role-blocker why would you want that? If you were some kind of weird town role-blocker wouldn't you want the chat to happen so there is more information to discuss? So yeah, I think role-blocker is a possibility, but I just think because of the way things went down it was a dumb place to use the ability and thus less likely as the reason.
Who has never killed an hour? Not casually or without thought, but carefully: a premeditated murder of minutes.

User avatar
VectorZero
Posts: 471
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:22 am UTC
Location: Kensington

Re: Hangafia - Day 1. Where are we?

Postby VectorZero » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:04 am UTC

I did read your post.
ElectricHaze wrote:Interesting. My guess is that your ability is blocked because the target is already in a conversation. That just seems like the simplest and easiest answer here. The other possibilities are certainly something to keep in mind. A role blocker could have used a power on you since you announced, and there are no better targets atm.
You didn't say it failed because the same ability was active, you said it was because they were already in a conversation. Splitting hairs perhaps, but I've run games with Dr Ug and I don't think he'd rule that way. I was aware you said or role blocker, and it looked to me like a scum trying to deflect attention and instead drawing it. Your response doesn't dissuade me either. Yes, I think RR has probably been role blocked by scum - reasonable target D1, I think. If they hit someone they know to be townie win a power, town doesn't gain whatever benefit we get from a daychat and RR looks suspicious.
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

User avatar
VectorZero
Posts: 471
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:22 am UTC
Location: Kensington

Re: Hangafia - Day 1. Where are we?

Postby VectorZero » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:05 am UTC

EBWOP: townie with a power
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

User avatar
Carlington
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:46 am UTC
Location: Sydney, Australia.

Re: Hangafia - Day 1. Where are we?

Postby Carlington » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:11 am UTC

I do kinda see ElectricHaze's point on that one though, that it makes no sense for a townie to roleblock a power like that. But, you seem to agree with that. The other case is that scum roleblocked, and I think both VectorZero and ElectricHaze are right in their talking about that possibility - it cases suspicion on RR, and it prevents whatever information town would have gotten from the daychat being confirmed, but it does so at the expense of revealing that scum has a roleblocker (and presumably not a one-shot one, otherwise they surely wouldn't use it on something like this so early, imo).
Of course, there's also the possibility that RR falseclaimed the daychat ability and now needs an out, but as long as it's possible that that's what scum wants me to think, I'm going to be hesitant about thinking it.

(such wine, wow)
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

User avatar
Carlington
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:46 am UTC
Location: Sydney, Australia.

Re: Hangafia - Day 1. Where are we?

Postby Carlington » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:18 am UTC

Carlington wrote:I do kinda see ElectricHaze's point on that one though, in that it makes no sense for a townie to roleblock a power like that. But, you seem to agree with that. The other case is that scum roleblocked, and I think both VectorZero and ElectricHaze are right in their talking about that possibility - it casts suspicion on RR, and it prevents whatever information town would have gotten from the daychat being confirmed, but it does so at the expense of revealing that scum has a roleblocker (and presumably not a one-shot one, otherwise they surely wouldn't use it on something like this so early, imo).
Of course, there's also the possibility that RR falseclaimed the daychat ability and now needs an out, but as long as it's possible that that's what scum wants me to think, I'm going to be hesitant about thinking it.

(such wine, wow)
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

User avatar
Dr Ug
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:58 am UTC
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: Hangafia - Day 1. Where are we?

Postby Dr Ug » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:35 am UTC

Votals:

michaelandjimi 2 (quintopia, weiyaoli)
Carlington 1 (Nebuduck)
frogman 1 (Azrael001)
Nebuduck 2 (Van, Thinksweet)
Azrael001 1 (_infina_)

14 to lynch.
Those who fail to respond to the mod prods (as posted earlier) will be replaced in ~24 hours
Where did my old signature go? :(

User avatar
VectorZero
Posts: 471
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:22 am UTC
Location: Kensington

Re: Hangafia - Day 1. Where are we?

Postby VectorZero » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:50 am UTC

i voted ElectricHaze
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

User avatar
weiyaoli
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 2:21 pm UTC

Re: Hangafia - Day 1. Where are we?

Postby weiyaoli » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:14 pm UTC

Unvote

Since he was supposed to have been modprodded after all. Don't have much more to add at the moment, still finishing up my notes on the thread right now.

(Just a note, my activity is likely to drop a little starting next week - I have an internship starting tomorrow for two months).
And you thought I was crazy...

cycoden
Posts: 94
Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 9:21 am UTC
Location: Melbourne

Re: Hangafia - Day 1. Where are we?

Postby cycoden » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:23 pm UTC

Hey all.

Apologies for the late arrival.

I'm still reading through the thread, but I had a thought on RoadieRich's early role claim - he may be seeking to be targeted - possibly, as others have stated because he is a jester, but perhaps he has some incentive to be targeted by a doctor:
Roadie wrote:It's almost certain that there's a Doctor about, too, just to add to the fun of things.


I want to find something out:
Roadie - you state that you attempted to PM Van, but nothing happened. I assume this means that you couldn't PM the player directly (otherwise, they'd have already received your PM), and had to send your PM's to Dr Ug for forwarding on to the player. Can you clarify if this is the case?

Van / Nebuduck: Are you PMing each other directly, or is Dr Ug forwarding your day chat communications? (Please post your answer *after* RoadieRich has posted his!)

EH wrote:My guess is that your ability is blocked because the target is already in a conversation.

As VZ stated, this does not make sense to me either - I don't recall playing games where powers worked like this (even in Dr Ug games)
VectorZero wrote:SEXUAL INTERCOURSE DISGUSTS ME!
Spoiler:
Bulvox wrote:This is probably one of the few times that I'll agree with Cycoden on anything. I just wish that my brain worked like that.

User avatar
VectorZero
Posts: 471
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:22 am UTC
Location: Kensington

Re: Hangafia - Day 1. Where are we?

Postby VectorZero » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:25 pm UTC

Ok, so Frogman v az v infina

Az is making a mountain out of a molehill. His stated reason for vote on frogman is invalid, as infina rightly points out. FoS Az

However, frogman has made a number of interpretations and suggestions that are very different from how I see them. (On phone, can't quote pull.) not convinced he's scum since it's a little too much to think it's scum leading town. FoS.

Kalira contributions have been reasonably thought out. Town.
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

User avatar
Dr Ug
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:58 am UTC
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: Hangafia - Day 1. Where are we?

Postby Dr Ug » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:36 pm UTC

Votals:

michaelandjimi 1 (quintopia)
Carlington 1 (Nebuduck)
frogman 1 (Azrael001)
Nebuduck 2 (Van, Thinksweet)
Azrael001 1 (_infina_)
ElectricHaze 1 (VectorZero)

14 to lynch.
Where did my old signature go? :(

User avatar
quintopia
Posts: 2906
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:53 am UTC
Location: atlanta, ga

Re: Hangafia - Day 1. Where are we?

Postby quintopia » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:39 pm UTC

Several people seem to be thinking a roleblock against RR is more likely than ElectricHaze's favored answer, but I say: why not put it to the test? If PM chat powers are common in this game (and in ElectricHaze's answer, the simplest solution is that there are already at least two people who have such a power), then it makes sense that Dr. Ug might limit them to be between exactly two people. And if this is the case, we can find out if Rich just tries to use the power on someone else. That is, unless Rich can confirm that Dr. Ug has already said it wouldn't work. If Rich does try it again and it doesn't work again, then we can rule this possibility out (and roleblocking and jester-Rich remain), and if it DOES work, then everyone else who has this power (possibly Nebu?) can learn something about how it works.

User avatar
Van
Posts: 418
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:15 pm UTC
Location: 39.74, -105.12ish

Re: Hangafia - Day 1. Where are we?

Postby Van » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:55 pm UTC

Well, I guess this explains why I never got an email saying I had a new PM :cry:

And unfortunately, that's a very unsatisfying result which only makes the wine deeper. RR, I strongly support retrying PMs with someone else, unless the failed attempt cost you the use for the day. If it did cost your use, for future days it is probably best to assume that people are limited to one daychat conversation at a time. I guess it's possible we have a day roleblocker and that role is scum (because blocking RR is insanely anti-town), but that seems pretty unlikely - I've never even seen a day roleblocker. Or a role thief, as RR noted, but again: a day role thief?
Oregonaut wrote:You are a fucking idiot. (Insult.)
You say that you disapprove of sex before marriage, but you are fucking that idiot. (Ad hominem.)
You say that you disapprove of sex outside of marriage, but you are fucking your mom. (Ad mominem.)

User avatar
RoadieRich
The Black Hand
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:40 am UTC
Location: Behind you

Re: Hangafia - Day 1. Where are we?

Postby RoadieRich » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:22 pm UTC

cycoden wrote:I want to find something out:
Roadie - you state that you attempted to PM Van, but nothing happened. I assume this means that you couldn't PM the player directly (otherwise, they'd have already received your PM), and had to send your PM's to Dr Ug for forwarding on to the player. Can you clarify if this is the case?

I can PM directly with the player, but I have to confirm my target selection with Dr Ug first. I have checked, and I can't use the power again.

Van wrote:but a day role thief?

That was pretty much my thought when I saw I had a day chat power.
73, de KE8BSL loc EN26.

User avatar
RoadieRich
The Black Hand
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:40 am UTC
Location: Behind you

Re: Hangafia - Day 1. Where are we?

Postby RoadieRich » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:29 pm UTC

Ebwop: by which I mean, it wouldn't surprise me if this is am almost nightless game: unless anyone wants to admit to having a night-time only power.
73, de KE8BSL loc EN26.

User avatar
Van
Posts: 418
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:15 pm UTC
Location: 39.74, -105.12ish

Re: Hangafia - Day 1. Where are we?

Postby Van » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:37 pm UTC

cycoden wrote:Van / Nebuduck: Are you PMing each other directly, or is Dr Ug forwarding your day chat communications? (Please post your answer *after* RoadieRich has posted his!)
We're PMing directly. Though we have to CC Dr Ug - which is pretty standard for all PMs? Didn't make me any more suspicious than I was to begin with, anyway.
Oregonaut wrote:You are a fucking idiot. (Insult.)
You say that you disapprove of sex before marriage, but you are fucking that idiot. (Ad hominem.)
You say that you disapprove of sex outside of marriage, but you are fucking your mom. (Ad mominem.)

User avatar
MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:38 pm UTC
Location: C̶a̶l̶i̶f̶o̶r̶n̶i̶a̶ Beautiful

Re: Hangafia - Day 1. Where are we?

Postby MasterOfAll » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:47 pm UTC

RoadieRich wrote:Ebwop: by which I mean, it wouldn't surprise me if this is am almost nightless game: unless anyone wants to admit to having a night-time only power.
Sure, why not? I don't have any day abilities (other than voting for a lynch, of course). I do have a night power. But, this is a big game, so there could very well be a lot of day powers *and* still the usual complement of night stuff.

I'm not sure what to think about RR's daychat not working. Nebu and Van being able to daychat seems way too big a coincidence for it to not somehow be related. Interesting to note that Van came out with the claim before RR tried using his power (first claiming she got a PM around same time as a list reorder, which I think is probably just because that is when Dr Ug was around and thus was doing multiple things that aren't necessarily related, and then going on to say the PM was about now being able to daychat with Nebu.) I can imagine that this is all part of a scum roleblocker/thief/whatever using their power on RR (can't imagine any reason a *town* player would be responsible), or maybe there are multiple powers at work, or I also think it is possible that *nobody* other than the mod is responsible and it is some passive power or hidden game mechanic at work. Or, of course, RR could have been lying all along.

Like I said, not really sure what to think, but at least it's something to keep discussion going.


Return to “Mafia”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests