Hangafia - Game over - Perfect Town win.

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Azrael001

Re: Hangafia - Day 1. Where are we?

Postby Azrael001 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:48 pm UTC

Thoughts are: the mod is messing with us. We all have a hangover, things aren't as we remember leaving it. It's for added immersion.

Van

Postby Van » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:49 pm UTC

quintopia wrote:You have no comment on the likelihood of a vote leading to more information in and of itself?

The vote would add more information because everything that occurs in the thread can be analyzed, yes. In that sense, you're entirely right. I just don't know if I see it being a particularly useful source of information. The vote seems to lazily be floating towards "chat with someone who is active in the thread", which is the safest opinion for a scum to offer up, and a decently safe option for town.

I think I'm wasting too much time arguing about this, so I'm just going to summarize my thoughts on this:
An outright bad outcome from RR's claim is fairly unlikely and would require unlikely circumstances (e.g. RR is a jester).
Choosing a target will give limited information of dubious quality, but would vet RR's claim more than allowing him to pick a target (and would thus rule out extremely edge cases where RR and target that he would pick, if allowed to do so, are both scum).
Choosing a target, much like an arranged marriage, will probably not result in the most useful private conversations.
I have been, and still am, a strong proponent of Rambo-style mafia play. I trust my gut more than I trust you, or anyone else here - sorry! As such, there is only one person in this game that RR can trust to offer an unbiased opinion on the best target to daychat with - himself.

Regardless, I don't really expect the vote to swing in favor of RR's choice, and I also don't think we we have enough information to pick the ideal target for the daychat. I'll support an active player, as that's a pretty safe move regardless I think.

Azrael001 wrote:It didn't sit right with me last night, but I was tired and dehydrated, so I waited until I was awake to think more. It still doesn't sit right to me. Suggesting incredibly bad strategy for town power roles is sufficient for a day one vote in my opinion.
Vote: Frogman

Out of curiosity, what exactly is the horrible strategy for town power roles in frogman's post? It's unstated, but I think everyone is secretly hoping that RR's target ends being the best possible target. Don't forget: the scum do not have all the information either. They may want to kill RR's target in the hopes of preventing a mini-mason power group, but RR (and his target) are prime doctor targets. It's WIFOM all the way down, and for once, it can work in town's favor :D . Why would you waste time trying to NK RR/RRtarget when you have ~20 other people that are probably not being doctored?
As for this room spinning business, this seems very strange. Dr Ug has not responded to questions about either the "flavor" rules, or the room spinning, and I can only assume that is intentional. Don't people in The Hangover typically end up getting drugged and losing their memories? Perhaps we were all drugged somehow, and that's why the room was spinning. SPACKlick, are you saying the signup order has changed twice since the game started? Not just once (when the room spun)? Also,
SPACKlick wrote:There is something scum going on here and unless I've made a massive mistake I've been targeted with something.
Are you saying Dr Ug sent you some sort of message about this, or are you inferring that from the player lists?
Oregonaut wrote:You are a fucking idiot. (Insult.)
You say that you disapprove of sex before marriage, but you are fucking that idiot. (Ad hominem.)
You say that you disapprove of sex outside of marriage, but you are fucking your mom. (Ad mominem.)

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:55 pm UTC

frogman wrote:
_infina_ wrote:
frogman wrote:
I also felt slightly odd about frogman's post, mainly because it seems to be a long text of nothing new.

Could you elaborate on this? I didn't think the argument that I put forward had been raised before, unless I read the thread incorrectly.

Both Nebuduck and weiyaoli (I can't believe I just spelled that correctly from memory...) had put forward highly similar arguments more than 10 posts previous to yours.

I must have awful reading comprehension, then, because I can't find a place where either player talks about any danger to the daychat target.

There were not any as specific as yours was, but some similarities are
Nebuduck wrote:Could be anything. This is certainly possible, and the biggest risk with going along with what he suggested. (e.g. maybe he doesn't have DayChat, but has a power that can manipulate a player into saying something? Maybe he is some sort of jester? Who knows!). This is the one that scares me.
and
weiyaoli wrote:Sure he might get townie points for an early claim, but it exposes his recruit target D1 if we ask to test it (so we can get rid of two cult at once, anytime he flips). In addition, as SPACKlick points out, scum (especially if there is more than one scum faction) might target him for a kill.

Bolding is mine.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

SPACKlick

Postby SPACKlick » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:00 pm UTC

Van wrote:As for this room spinning business, this seems very strange. Dr Ug has not responded to questions about either the "flavor" rules, or the room spinning, and I can only assume that is intentional. Don't people in The Hangover typically end up getting drugged and losing their memories? Perhaps we were all drugged somehow, and that's why the room was spinning. SPACKlick, are you saying the signup order has changed twice since the game started? Not just once (when the room spun)? Also,
SPACKlick wrote:There is something scum going on here and unless I've made a massive mistake I've been targeted with something.
Are you saying Dr Ug sent you some sort of message about this, or are you inferring that from the player lists?

Three times. We have Sign Up Order Which was changed to The Original Order the players were in in the first post of the thread to begin with, New List 1 from about 13:20 yesterday to 13:20 today and New List 2 that they're in now. I'm inferring from the player lists where I was excluded from one that I was targeted with something. Whether or not I was targetted with something, that list switching I don't believe is arbitrary and I believe is likely caused by either a mechanic of the game or a mechanic of a player power.

SPACKlick

Postby SPACKlick » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:23 pm UTC

Going through various Google Caches I may in fact be an idiot when it comes to copy paste. here Dr Ug has edited the first post twice (last at 11:38 on July 7th, which would make me think it's the list where I'm missing, but I'm on it) Here Is after I spotted the second list. I must have moved Cycoden around when I was adding the spacers to put it into standard string length. The latest "No edits" I can find is Here Which gives us a pretty tight window for the first two edits. So they weren't likely two lists there. 10:33 to 12:38
The latest with 2 edits I can find is 14:29 which gives us 11 hours where the list may or may not be confirmed. Anyway, because the missing me was entirely a mistake.

Unvote

I can't find a cache with 1 edit or 3 edits to the First post so there could in theory be one [or two] lists we're not aware of

SU, Orig, (unlikely unknown), NL1, (Possible Unknown) NL2

kalira

Postby kalira » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:42 pm UTC

Honestly, I would be more likely to guess it's due to a mechanic of the game rather than of a player power, as the first re-order I presume happened before the game began, possibly before roles were handed out. My role PM went out not too long before the OP, so unless the player whose theoretical power controls the order happened to be on in that time frame and immediately set it in motion, the first re-order happened without player influence. Additionally, I find it unlikely that a player would be given a power that worked more than once during a Day -- would seem too powerful to me.

I'm going to
FoS: freezeblade

His most recent post gives me some twitches... First, it just seems off somehow tone-wise. I don't know how to explain that, other than it feels like he's trying too hard?

Second, he says he wrote the original two lines before my original post about the changing player order. That means he had to start writing it before I posted at 12:40 my time according to the forum. His post didn't post until 1:15 my time. Even allowing for time to read the posts he was ninja'd by, there was at least one break of 10 minutes in there, with a few of at least 5 minutes. Just strikes me as odd that it would take him that long to come up with the response he came up with.

Third, we by no means "know" that the room spinning is related to the re-order as he says. The room spinning only happened once; the re-order has happened twice since the original OP.

Ninja'd by Spack -- time frames are going to make my head hurt soon, I suspect. Perhaps the 2 edits in quick succession were him posting the list with cycoden twice and then realizing he'd screwed it up and fixing it by amending your name in?
plytho wrote:Isn't bowling just a subcategory of pottery?

SPACKlick

Postby SPACKlick » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:53 pm UTC

kalira wrote:Ninja'd by Spack -- time frames are going to make my head hurt soon, I suspect. Perhaps the 2 edits in quick succession were him posting the list with cycoden twice and then realizing he'd screwed it up and fixing it by amending your name in?

No, the list I pulled without me was between two caches that had me in 4th place. It was definitively my screw up. Also, with the adding of me to the list the re-ordering's look entirely random.

To avoid time gaps I could look two inches to the left at the "Last edited time" God I've been incompetent so far.

So Sign up order happened in the sign up thread
The initial post here had a new order
by 11:38 UTC yesterday it was re-ordered. (and Dr ug made two edits to the post since 10:38)
by 12:11 UTC today the list was re ordered again. (Dr Ug had made two edits from 14:38 yesterday to 12:11 today)

I believe but can't prove that the list was in the same order at 9:00 today because I was looking at list ordering this morning and would have noticed something funny.

quintopia

Postby quintopia » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:44 pm UTC

I'm also in the reordering the list is a mechanic camp. It's easy to imagine ways in which abilities could depend on relative positions in the list. It bothers me that Azrael would say it's only flavor so quickly.

Also I'm going to
Vote SPACKlick (italics not bold) to talk to Rich. I don't want to do it, and I don't trust Nebu's eagerness. SPACK seems like a good neutral ground.

Nebuduck

Postby Nebuduck » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:42 pm UTC

Wowzers, I pop out to the theatre and all this happens...

Good spot on the list of players changing around. That's definitely related to... something. Not sure what.

I'm very happy to Vote SPACKlick to chat to RR. I'm only eager because I like action :wink:. I do want him to confirm that he's happy to do so, though (he hasn't so far).

Beyond that, nothing much to add to the conversation at this juncture... I'm going to have another read through and might come back with something else.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:54 pm UTC

kalira wrote:Second, he says he wrote the original two lines before my original post about the changing player order. That means he had to start writing it before I posted at 12:40 my time according to the forum. His post didn't post until 1:15 my time. Even allowing for time to read the posts he was ninja'd by, there was at least one break of 10 minutes in there, with a few of at least 5 minutes. Just strikes me as odd that it would take him that long to come up with the response he came up with.

:roll: I'm at work, and people stop by my cube to ask questions, because I'm the answer man. You're nitpicking over 10 mins?
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

SPACKlick

Postby SPACKlick » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:07 pm UTC

Nebuduck wrote:I do want him to confirm that he's happy to do so, though (he hasn't so far).

I'm happy to but nervous to.

Minestrone

Postby Minestrone » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:23 am UTC

I think the player list shuffling likely has some effect on the game but if anyone knows what that effect is they aren't being forthcoming, so I figure for now the best thing to do is just catalog it and hope we get more info later. I kinda doubt it's a player's power doing it but I suppose it's not impossible. I think the room spinning is probably something different entirely.

The criteria I first thought of for choosing RR's target was someone skeptical of their claim (and thus maybe less likely to be a scumbuddy) but most people seem to agree that he wouldn't have claimed the power if he didn't at least have it. Second best would be someone especially skeptical about the towniness of RR's power, and SPACKlick jumps out at me as meeting that. Plus they seem relatively townie and I've played with them before unlike many of the old timers.

Vote: SPACKlick for RR's target.

Madge

Postby Madge » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:45 am UTC

Spacklick was also on my list for RR's target, so:

vote spacklick for RR's target

The list shuffling is interesting and must mean something - even if it's only a hook to get us paranoid on D1.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Aardvarki

Postby Aardvarki » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:07 am UTC

My guess is that the shifting player list is largely just flavor, though I did once run a game where order of the player list mattered to certain abilities, so it's certainly possible. I think the good doctor is having a little fun at our expense.

The lists seem to shift too significantly for there to be much more at work than a random number generator. Sure, maybe there's an added element of "keep randomizing until person X and person Y are adjacent", but I'd be pretty surprised if it was more than that. I get that everyone's looking for weirdness about posts because it's Day 1, but man, people seem to be really bent out of shape about everything.

So far, the only thing that's been of much real discussion is the RR nonsense, so I'm looking more there. RR's immediate assumption of an ability use and then his struck through comments about believing he was targeted with something because of the shift is kinda odd. I'd like him to explain whether there was more to it than that, it was a pretty large leap of reasoning from "the list shifted a lot" to "someone targeted me" that doesn't make much sense. Care to explain any more reasoning behind why you believed that an ability was used on you, RR? I don't necessarily think it was an unreasonable assumption (you've made yourself one of the most targetable people in the game with your claim), but I'd like a little more reasoning provided, if possible.
-Aa
Weeks wrote:The only Dexter I really know is the one with the lab

Dr Ug

Postby Dr Ug » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:31 am UTC

kalira wrote:How will tied votals at end of Day be dealt with?

You don't want to find out.
Where did my old signature go? :(

Van

Postby Van » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:32 am UTC

I'm not opposed to SPACKlick being RR's target, and I'd like RR and (whoever) to have some time to chat before day end, so I will
Vote RR Target: SPACKlick, with the caveat that RR should be able to choose his own targets on following days, unless something weird happens here.

Aardvarki, I really strongly disagree. Dr Ug is explicitly ignoring questions regarding the flavor and list shifting (I'm lurking while doing homework, I've seen him in here half a dozen times in the last couple hours), which means it probably isn't "just flavor". At the very least, it's a bit of bastardry. This, combined with Dr Ug's previous games (HP, Asylum are what I'm thinking of), makes me think tomfoolery is afoot. The jump to "I've been targeted" is a bit strange, I'll admit. Still digesting that. Paranoia... or something more sinister?
Oregonaut wrote:You are a fucking idiot. (Insult.)
You say that you disapprove of sex before marriage, but you are fucking that idiot. (Ad hominem.)
You say that you disapprove of sex outside of marriage, but you are fucking your mom. (Ad mominem.)

Dr Ug

Postby Dr Ug » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:33 am UTC

All of a sudden a loud pinging eminates from the PA speakers, followed by an announcment:

Hello? Hello? How does this thing work again... Oh right, it's already on.

'fess up, who drove the bulldozer into the lobby? What even happened last night? Damn it, I knew starting a new job working in this hotel was the wrong career choice; should have stayed in the wedding singing business. More money, they said, less travelling, they said - pa! And I'm the only employee at the moment! I knew they would leave me to clean any messes up.

Ouch. Okay, I definitely shouldn't have drunk so much last night, and this blasted PA system doesn't help my headache.

Right. Stay calm everyone, and I'll hopefully have more to say tomorrow.
Where did my old signature go? :(

RoadieRich
The Black Hand

Postby RoadieRich » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:40 am UTC

Aardvarki wrote:So far, the only thing that's been of much real discussion is the RR nonsense, so I'm looking more there. RR's immediate assumption of an ability use and then his struck through comments about believing he was targeted with something because of the shift is kinda odd. I'd like him to explain whether there was more to it than that, it was a pretty large leap of reasoning from "the list shifted a lot" to "someone targeted me" that doesn't make much sense. Care to explain any more reasoning behind why you believed that an ability was used on you, RR? I don't necessarily think it was an unreasonable assumption (you've made yourself one of the most targetable people in the game with your claim), but I'd like a little more reasoning provided, if possible.

When I started writing, there were only two iterations found. I listed the three players who did not move in the struck-out text, and I was one of them. As I'm aware I have a target drawn on my head, so it made sense then, before we realized that there were more than two iterations, to assume that I wad target of a power, somehow involving the other two unshuffled players.

And I was ninja'd by a journalist-type power, perhaps?
73, de KE8BSL loc EN26.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:52 am UTC

Personally, I'm in favour of us narrowing down RR's potential chat targets down to 2 or 3 and letting him pick between them, because that seems to give a decent balance between minimising scum's chance to affect who gets targeted and their ability to nk one side of the link, rending it useless. That said, I'm not sure what method I'd prefer to actually choose that shortlist - the most active posters seems like an ok method with the advantage of being moderately objective, otherwise I guess it would be down to everyone voting. I'm not a fan of the volunteer method because that's way too easy to game and too hard to spot the motivations of the people putting their hands up for it. If it does come down to votes, I'd probably suggest kalira or SPACKlick based on their recent discussion about the ability (which lines up to some extent with my own feelings as expressed above).

As for the room rearrangement, it seems like a really weird thing to do either from a mechanical or flavour perspective. I mean yes, flavour-wise having lots of people shifting around kind of makes sense, but then why do it so often - 3 or 4 times in the first game day? Mechanically, no-one seems to have suggested that it's affected their abilities (and that includes me - I have not been informed of any change of my ability due to the shift, and I am not claiming an ability that cares about player list ordering), so what purpose does it serve?

And while typing this, we've also had a new message from the mod, or at least from someone not in the room. Does that mean someone has a public address ability? Maybe an oracle? (But then why does it have so little content in it?) Thinking more at the bastardy end, is it even possible that there's an additional influence on the game we're not aware of (I'm thinking of some past games I've read where non-players commenting in a discussion thread were able to "whisper" non-specific messages to a player in the game)?
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:50 am UTC

If it is some sort of oracle, it is quite a cryptic message. Many of us don't have background on the movies, so it seems an odd way to flavor it, unless it is a requirement. Even then, it didn't really say anything useful at all.

I'm happy to have SPACKlick do the talking.

I'm not being pinged right now by frogman, I thought their post added to the discussion - and while some of it parroted - you can find this in practically all our posts that all of us have somewhat parroted / mirrored parts of others. I find it extremely nitpicky and odd to point out one incidence of many (for that level of "same arguements"). If anything, I feel odd that _infina_ added an "I also don't like frogman because of <bad reasoning>", to me it almost feels like an attempt at starting a bandwagon, maybe even to end the day short before we decide about who RR should daychat with.

I can't seem to find it for this game - but there have been ones where people's votes count for more or less than 1...someone might have a power to after x number of people if they vote, that's all it takes, even if it isn't a majority or day end. Certainly something I'd be apt to do in a game I ran. As this seems like a slightly crazy game, people might want to be leery with starting any vote train until we have the RR daychat figured out.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:51 am UTC

EBWOP - to clarify - I can't seem to find in the rules how many it takes to lynch for this game (aka does a majority automatically end the day if it hits that, etc).
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

quintopia

Postby quintopia » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:05 am UTC

Amy: it isn't said anywhere that I can see, but Dr. Ug has said it takes 14 to lynch today, so I would think you were right about 14 votes automatically ending day.

Nebuduck

Postby Nebuduck » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:34 am UTC

Could someone count up the votes? I'm inclined to think we should just let SPACKlick do it, most people seem in favour, and I think we should just do it.

By the way, when we choose someone - RR, I think you should ignore anything they say to you. Just popped into my mind that one negative aspect of this is that it could be a way for scum to spread disinformation via RR, which while not the end of the world, could confuse things for town.

RoadieRich
The Black Hand

Postby RoadieRich » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:27 pm UTC

I've only counted as far back as where quintopia proposed a vote (here).

Referendum Votals (26 Players, ):

SPACKlick: 5 (Quintopia, Nebuduck, Minestrone, Madge, Van)

Nebuduck wrote:Could someone count up the votes? I'm inclined to think we should just let SPACKlick do it, most people seem in favour, and I think we should just do it.

I can only count 7 (Sungura and ConMan have expressed but not voted), that's only a quarter, and much less than quorum.

It's also about the largest I'd expect an anti-town faction to be in an Ug game.

I'm a fan of action as much as the next duck, but I dislike being rushed even more.
73, de KE8BSL loc EN26.

RoadieRich
The Black Hand

Postby RoadieRich » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:33 pm UTC

EBWOP: I suppose I should also add SPACKlick in the number having expressed being ok with the choice.
73, de KE8BSL loc EN26.

Nebuduck

Postby Nebuduck » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:06 pm UTC

RoadieRich wrote:I'm a fan of action as much as the next duck, but I dislike being rushed even more.

I'd be the first to admit that I have difficulties with patience...

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:18 pm UTC

Az's hypothesis on the playerlist being rearranged is interesting. Going to put it in the "interesting flavor" file for now. One interesting related bit in reading, ConMan called it "room rearranging". ConMan: did you call it that because it's something from the movie?

PA guy wrote:Right. Stay calm everyone, and I'll hopefully have more to say tomorrow

That sounds like it could be a player activated action. Just remember that the usefulness of anything this channel may produce is debatable. I also thought about the point Amy made that lots of people claimed unfamiliarity with the movie, and wonder if PA guy is someone who has seen it.

Daychat vote: SPACKlick
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

weiyaoli

Postby weiyaoli » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:34 pm UTC

I guess I might as well make my preference "official":

Daychat vote: kalira

Regarding the PA guy, the only thing that jumped out at me was probably:

PA wrote:Damn it, I knew starting a new job working in this hotel was the wrong career choice; should have stayed in the wedding singing business. More money, they said, less travelling, they said - pa! And I'm the only employee at the moment! I knew they would leave me to clean any messes up.

I seem to remember a Wedding Singer being on the possible role list on the first page? Could it be it's to do with that role? I don't really know what the whole thing about working in the hotel could possibly mean in that context though. I agree with moody that it seems player activated - I guess we'll probably find out tomorrow either way? Meanwhile it hasn't really given us any new information, so we can probably ignore it until tomorrow, unless it happens again later today.
And you thought I was crazy...

SPACKlick

Postby SPACKlick » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:46 pm UTC

weiyaoli wrote:I guess I might as well make my preference "official":

Daychat vote: kalira

Regarding the PA guy, the only thing that jumped out at me was probably:

PA wrote:Damn it, I knew starting a new job working in this hotel was the wrong career choice; should have stayed in the wedding singing business. More money, they said, less travelling, they said - pa! And I'm the only employee at the moment! I knew they would leave me to clean any messes up.

I seem to remember a Wedding Singer being on the possible role list on the first page? Could it be it's to do with that role? I don't really know what the whole thing about working in the hotel could possibly mean in that context though. I agree with moody that it seems player activated - I guess we'll probably find out tomorrow either way? Meanwhile it hasn't really given us any new information, so we can probably ignore it until tomorrow, unless it happens again later today.

Flavour wise makes sense. Wedding singer has access to the PA so can announce anonymously to the room. Seems Towny role to me. If the Wedding singer is player activated, can you fire a short message to let us know you can do it more than 2 times a day, ie. that you would have at least one left after that announcement?

SPACKlick

Postby SPACKlick » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:56 pm UTC

New List today at 12:32, seems to be basically 24 hourly. Seems random distribution.

Code: Select all

NUM   Sign Up........   Original Post..   New List 1.....   New List 2.....   New List 3.....
1..   Azrael001......   Azrael001......   MasterOfAll....   ConMan.........   ElectricHaze...
2..   MasterOfAll....   Carlington.....   ConMan.........   michaelandjimmi   megatriorchis..
3..   Frogman........   Nebuduck.......   quintopia......   moody7277......   sungura........
4..   Van............   cycoden........   SPACKlick......   _infina_.......   madge..........
5..   cycoden........   ElectricHaze...   Van............   ElectricHaze...   weiyaoli.......
6..   madge..........   megatriorchis..   VectorZero.....   Jar'O'Jam......   _infina_.......
7..   Aardvarki......   Aardvarki......   kalira.........   Minestrone.....   Nebuduck.......
8..   ConMan.........   madge..........   sungura........   madge..........   Jar'O'Jam......
9..   Freezeblade....   Freezeblade....   madge..........   Frogman........   RoadieRich.....
10.   Carlington.....   Minestrone.....   michaelandjimmi   sungura........   Azrael001......
11.   moody7277......   ThinkSweet.....   Nebuduck.......   Nebuduck.......   Minestrone.....
12.   megatriorchis..   VectorZero.....   Minestrone.....   Van............   michaelandjimmi
13.   _infina_.......   ConMan.........   Aardvarki......   kalira.........   Freezeblade....
14.   Minestrone.....   kalira.........   ThinkSweet.....   cycoden........   VectorZero.....
15.   ThinkSweet.....   SPACKlick......   moody7277......   megatriorchis..   moody7277......
16.   Jar'O'Jam......   _infina_.......   Frogman........   VectorZero.....   ConMan.........
17.   RoadieRich.....   Frogman........   Azrael001......   quintopia......   MasterOfAll....
18.   ElectricHaze...   quintopia......   Carlington.....   MasterOfAll....   quintopia......
19.   VectorZero.....   weiyaoli.......   _infina_.......   SPACKlick......   Aardvarki......
20.   weiyaoli.......   sungura........   RoadieRich.....   Azrael001......   cycoden........
21.   SPACKlick......   moody7277......   Freezeblade....   ThinkSweet.....   Carlington.....
22.   kalira.........   RoadieRich.....   megatriorchis..   RoadieRich.....   ThinkSweet.....
23.   RESERVED.......   MasterOfAll....   Jar'O'Jam......   Freezeblade....   kalira.........
24.   quintopia......   Jar'O'Jam......   ElectricHaze...   weiyaoli.......   SPACKlick......
25.   Nebuduck.......   Van............   weiyaoli.......   Carlington.....   Frogman........
26.   RESERVED.......   michaelandjimmi   cycoden........   Aardvarki......   Van............

SPACKlick

Postby SPACKlick » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:00 pm UTC

Ebwop, Who or what is Thinksweet and have they posted yet?

kalira

Postby kalira » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:22 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:
kalira wrote:Second, he says he wrote the original two lines before my original post about the changing player order. That means he had to start writing it before I posted at 12:40 my time according to the forum. His post didn't post until 1:15 my time. Even allowing for time to read the posts he was ninja'd by, there was at least one break of 10 minutes in there, with a few of at least 5 minutes. Just strikes me as odd that it would take him that long to come up with the response he came up with.

:roll: I'm at work, and people stop by my cube to ask questions, because I'm the answer man. You're nitpicking over 10 mins?

Until and unless you come to try to explain it, yes. You'll note that was a FoS, not a vote.

Nebuduck

Postby Nebuduck » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:27 pm UTC

SPACKlick wrote:New List today at 12:32, seems to be basically 24 hourly. Seems random distribution.

I'm pretty certain now that the ordering is random. I'm also certain it HAS to relate to something in the game - e.g. someone has a power relating to list position, or if you're in the last position you're allowed to spend the day asleep and can't be lynched... who knows.

Dr Ug wrote:All of a sudden a loud pinging eminates from the PA speakers...

It's interesting to me that someone would use a 'PA' power in a way that appears to be flavour, and doesn't add much to the game. If I had a PA power, I'd use it to say something like 'Hi guys, I am a player with a PA power. I'm not going to tell you who I am, though. I can PA N times per day, and say XYZ in my post. Oh, and I have ABC other powers!'. I wouldn't use it for fairly content free flavour text.

I have a few theories about that:

Theory A: They HAVE to speak in flavour on the PA, or Dr Ug wouldn't allow it. In which case, presumably they're allowed to disguise info in their flavour, and we should treat it as a riddle.
Theory B: They HAVE to make a PA announcement in order to do something else.
Theory C: A player doesn't actually write the text - Dr Ug does - but it does tie in to a player's power being used.
Theory D: I'm over thinking this, and the player just fancied PA'ing with what looks like flavour text.

Any other theories?

SPACKlick

Postby SPACKlick » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:39 pm UTC

Nebuduck wrote:Theory A: They HAVE to speak in flavour on the PA, or Dr Ug wouldn't allow it. In which case, presumably they're allowed to disguise info in their flavour, and we should treat it as a riddle.
Theory C: A player doesn't actually write the text - Dr Ug does - but it does tie in to a player's power being used.
Theory D: I'm over thinking this, and the player just fancied PA'ing with what looks like flavour text.

Theory A and D seem most likely to me. The Post actually claims to be a hotel employee who is an ex wedding singer (Flavour blind on that one, googling not available right now).

They make the comment that "I'm the only employee right now" which could mean all claims of hotel employee should be looked at suspiciously or that the player has some additional information, like they were told "You're a mason, with no other masons in your lodge"

kalira

Postby kalira » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:51 pm UTC

Presuming they're town, Theory D doesn't really work for me, Nebu. PA not guaranteed to be town, of course, but I would guess more likely than not.

RE: Spack's question about whether someone had posted, just ran through by author, and these are the stats atm (may have missed Nebu's last post, not sure):

Code: Select all

Player          |# Posts| Last Posted
_infina_        |      4|  Wednesday
Aardvarki       |      2|  Wednesday
Azrael001       |      4|  Wednesday
Carlington      |      1|  Tuesday
ConMan          |      2|  Monday
cycoden         |      0|
ElectricHaze    |      1|  Tuesday
Freezeblade     |      5|  Wednesday
Frogman         |      5|  Wednesday
Jar'O'Jam       |      0|
kalira          |      7|  Thursday
madge           |      4|  Wednesday
MasterOfAll     |      4|  Wednesday
megatriorchis   |      0|
michaelandjimmi |      0|
Minestrone      |      5|  Wednesday
moody7277       |      5|  Thursday
Nebuduck        |     19|  Thursday
quintopia       |     12|  Thursday
RoadieRich      |     14|  Thursday
SPACKlick       |     24|  Thursday
sungura         |      6|  Wednesday
ThinkSweet      |      1|  Tuesday
Van             |      9|  Wednesday
VectorZero      |      4|  Monday
weiyaoli        |      8|  Thursday

This says nothing about length or quality of posts, though I did happen to notice (just because he was next to last when I was counting) that all of Vector's are basically one liners.

So cycoden, Jar o' Jam, mega, and MaJ have yet to post; ThinkSweet, ElectricHaze, Carlington have one each, and ConMan and Aardvarki have two each. That's the lower end of the spectrum, FWIW.

kalira

Postby kalira » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:55 pm UTC

Blind ninja'd by Spack -- interesting idea re: lone mason theory, I hadn't thought of that. It does make a certain amount of sense though. Perhaps our PA has a mason recruit power in addition.

RE: RR's power, since some have suggested me, I suppose I would be okay with accepting it if that's what the group or RR himself decides, though I'm still wary of any other "things" that might come attached with the chat.

RoadieRich
The Black Hand

Postby RoadieRich » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:15 pm UTC

Nebuduck wrote:I have a few theories about that:

Theory A: They HAVE to speak in flavour on the PA, or Dr Ug wouldn't allow it. In which case, presumably they're allowed to disguise info in their flavour, and we should treat it as a riddle.

Any other theories?

Theory E: A combination of A and C: They provide the gist of a message to Dr Ug, who then translates it into Flavorspeak: so there could be actual sentences from the player, but perhaps not all of it is.

Referendum Votals (26 Players):

SPACKlick: 6 (Quintopia, Nebuduck, Minestrone, Madge, Van, Moody7277)
Kalira: 1 (weiyaoli)
Total: 7
73, de KE8BSL loc EN26.

frogman

Postby frogman » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:48 pm UTC

For what it's worth, I am currently of the opinion that the list-scrambling and this PA announcement are the mod messing with us, or at least one is a player-driven power and one is the mod to muddy the waters a bit. The reasoning I have is that the scrambling seems to random and the timing is too regular for it to be player-activated (as has been said before) and the PA didn't seem to carry any information at all. Theory C is the most likely in my eyes out of Nebuduck's options.

I am actually going to Daychat vote: Van. Their analysis of RoadieRich's strategy has struck me as appropriately sceptical, and they have been relatively active. I don't feel super strongly about this, and will switch my vote if it ends up that we have two or three major candidates to choose between that don't include Van or if Van expresses disinterest in being chosen.
yeah yeah yeah

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:04 pm UTC

I do think almost everyone has been approaching the RR situation with a cautious regard, and would be fine with anyone who is making 2-3 posts per day with useful content.

I did feel off about one of frogman's posts, based on my first couple readings. At that time it definitely felt like just a long rehashing of what two other people had been able to put in a shorter context. Based on subsequent posts, I have more that makes me back to a neutral state on frogman.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

RoadieRich
The Black Hand

Postby RoadieRich » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:19 pm UTC

It's been over 72 hours since game start with no comments from four players. I know the rules say five days, but this is still day 1.

Can we get modprods on cycoden, Jar'O'Jam, megatriorchis and michaelandjimmi please?

Referendum Votals (26 Players):

SPACKlick: 6 (Quintopia, Nebuduck, Minestrone, Madge, Van, Moody7277)
Kalira: 1 (weiyaoli)
Van: 1 (frogman)
Total: 8
73, de KE8BSL loc EN26.

Return to “Mafia”