SDK Runs Dethy - GAME OVER

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Vytron
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:11 am UTC
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Re: SDK Runs Dethy - D1

Postby Vytron » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:32 am UTC

mike-l wrote: I'm not voting for you right now, but I will absolutely vote for you tomorrow/d3 if I think that's what's most likely to win.


In what scenario I'd be the best lynch candidate tomorrow but not now?

Madge wrote:I really think we should go with 2NL because if we do the lynching we end up in a vanilla game and that's just BORING. It's not what a dethy is meant to be you know? But if other people want it I'm happy to do it that way.


I disagree. No Lynching blindly and then trying to piece the game together with the cops results sounds boring. I don't know what Dethy is about, but mafia is abut finding scum by their behavior and lynching them to win.

Right now there's some person that is pretending to be town, while in reality they want town to fail, so we'd be able to tell it by their behavior (see last Ghost mafia, mpolo was a "wise fool" that knew he was a fool, and he failed to act like town players or fools that thought they were town, people noticed and lynching them.)

Or, that person is remaining quiet, that's Asmodieus to I think he's our best lynch.

Also, the strategy I propose is silly only if I'm town (i.e. if scum proposes town to lynch them town following through isn't silly, it wins the game), so I think you slipped there that you know I'm town.

Also, mike saying that if he was scum he'd kill wam makes sense to me. Asmodieus and you are under suspicion, that leaves best mike's targets as wam and me. I'm usually the guy that ends being mislynched on games and that's what mike would hope for, so wam end best kill target.

My preferences for lynching currently are:

Asmodieus > Madge > wam > mike > me

Because at this point, mike deserves to win as scum for looking the townies, and we deserve to lose if on an ending {wam, mike, me} mike chooses to mislynch me. So on this game if we don't win I'd like to lose on a way I could live with.

Ninja - Okay, so I'll drop Madge thinking what I propose is silly signaling she knows I'm town, since we know both Madge and mike can't be town and he thinks like her...

mike-l
Posts: 2758
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:16 am UTC

Re: SDK Runs Dethy - D1

Postby mike-l » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:51 am UTC

Vytron wrote:
mike-l wrote: I'm not voting for you right now, but I will absolutely vote for you tomorrow/d3 if I think that's what's most likely to win.


In what scenario I'd be the best lynch candidate tomorrow but not now?
you being the second scummiest, you doing something super scummy d2, cop results suggesting you're scum, etc etc


Madge wrote:I really think we should go with 2NL because if we do the lynching we end up in a vanilla game and that's just BORING. It's not what a dethy is meant to be you know? But if other people want it I'm happy to do it that way.


I disagree. No Lynching blindly and then trying to piece the game together with the cops results sounds boring. I don't know what Dethy is about, but mafia is abut finding scum by their behavior and lynching them to win.
dethy with cop head start is simply a logic game. Here I'm pretty sure that this is worse than just scum hunting, but I echo Madge's sentiment that the alternative of 4-1 vanilla is pretty boring



Ninja - Okay, so I'll drop Madge thinking what I propose is silly signaling she knows I'm town, since we know both Madge and mike can't be town and he thinks like her...

It's entirely possible that one of us legitimately agrees and the other one is disingenuous. Also scum slip? We can obviously both be town.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

mike-l
Posts: 2758
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:16 am UTC

Re: SDK Runs Dethy - D1

Postby mike-l » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:03 am UTC

Imagine for a second we applied Vytrons logic to every player in any mafia game. It would dictate that no one should ever be lynched on D2, as if so, they should have been lynched on D1. It's entirely possible to revise your opinion based on new information, whether that be flips, new posts, claimed results, etc.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

User avatar
Madge
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:45 am UTC
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: SDK Runs Dethy - D1

Postby Madge » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:11 am UTC

I don't follow why me and mike must have opposite alignments? Can you please explain that a bit clearer?
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

User avatar
Vytron
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:11 am UTC
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Re: SDK Runs Dethy - D1

Postby Vytron » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:27 am UTC

I meant to say "we know both Madge and mike can't be both scum and he thinks like her...", because we know there's only 1 scum.

Anyway, if both of you are town then wam or asm are scum.

Also, my logic can't be applied to every player, but if one town player applies the logic to another town player and never lynches them it should improve our chances.

For instance, I don't think that in general mike is a good night kill, the idea being that scum leaves him alive so we think it's possible mike is scum because scum would have killed him (wine), so if I'm not NKed N1 and we're on an ending mike+scum+me we should win.

Hopefully that means one of the {Asm, Madge, wam} group that we don't lynch D1 is killed and we lynch the other D2 and we win.

mike-l
Posts: 2758
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:16 am UTC

Re: SDK Runs Dethy - D1

Postby mike-l » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:21 am UTC

I don't know how much more clearly I can state this. Deciding to not change your mind is unequivocably bad strategy. Assuming someone is town is neutral to the odds of you allow yourself to change your mind and negative otherwise.

By all means, if you read someone as town don't vote for them, but deciding right here and now that someone is town and saying nothing can change your mind is a bad strategy (yes even when that someone is me).
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

User avatar
Vytron
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:11 am UTC
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Re: SDK Runs Dethy - D1

Postby Vytron » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:58 am UTC

If you are town, how can changing my mind to lynching you is helpful? I just can't see any scenario where this is the case.

It's the same with wam.

And it's the same with me (i.e. if you change your mind to lynch me it'll always be a mistake because I am town. That you don't know it'd be a mistake doesn't mean it'd not be mistake, so from my POV, if you are town the best you can do is decide to never lynch me already.)

mike-l
Posts: 2758
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:16 am UTC

Re: SDK Runs Dethy - D1

Postby mike-l » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:10 am UTC

Good strategy can make the wrong decision, bad strategy can make the right one. This is not an argument for using bad strategy. It's in my interest to convince you to use good strategy. Right now your strategy is clearly beneficial to me, but if you use the same strategy to decide next that, say, Madge is town and refuse to change your mind, that's detrimental. I'm in the good position that I can make this argument at obvious cost to myself to emphasize its importance.

I'm obviously not suggesting you consider me mafia, what I'm suggesting is that you don't make the decision permanently. You're basically saying "future evidence is irrelevant", and I really don't want that applied to anyone else in the game if you're town. If you're mafia then the above is irrelevant.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

User avatar
Vytron
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:11 am UTC
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Re: SDK Runs Dethy - D1

Postby Vytron » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:45 am UTC

I'd rather win with bad strategy than lose with good strategy.

What you've said about me applies to wam, i.e. your argument can be summarized as follows:

I should not consider wam confirmed town, because if A then wam is scum.

A. {wam being second scummiest} OR {wam doing something super scummy d2} OR {cop results suggesting wam's scum}

If A then we should lynch wam D2.

This is the case that matters since, if I'm left with wam and Madge we lose and if I'm left with Asm and wam we lose.

So, the way to convince me that considering wam confirmed town could lead to our loss is to explain in what scenarios we should lynch wam D2.

Such an scenario is trivial:

B. wam claims scum D2.

If B then A, so I should vote wam.

Okay, I can agree to consider x players town unless they claim mafia.

So we have left:

C.{wam being second scummiest}

And

D.{cop results suggesting wam's scum}

For C I think it's actually Asm and Madge which would need to do something that convince me they're more townie than wam. I believe Madge is more likely to be scum because of the way she's playing smells funny, and I believe Asm is more likely to be scum because of his low levels of activity.

Okay, I can agree to consider x players town unless other players do something that convince they're town instead (problem with this is if wam is town then I had already made the right decision but changed it for the worse).

For D... D is interesting, I think we lack a bit of information required to point him as unequivocally scum by the cop results we get on N1. Would certainly like to hear an argument such that "if these people investigate these others and get these results and this player dies then it suggests wam's scum."

--------

This leaves us with these scenarios:

mike is scum: We've lost (no town is willing to lynch him, he wins in any endgame)
Madge is scum: We lynch Asm today and Madge tomorrow and win.
Asm is scum: We lynch Asm today and win.
wam is scum: wam kills mike tonight, we lynch Madge tomorrow and lose.

So, oh yeah, in this line of thought the danger is on wam's alignment being mafia, so I'm willing to go with the No Lynch plan if people decide there's high chances of that.

--------

Also, if this is vanilla mafia I'm not finding it boring, some good logician could solve the game on the double NL scenarios but then the win would be more fun if it's based on behavior, I think. Still my bet is Asm is not participating because he did get the scum role and all this is moot (most of the time when I replace in a game, I replace the SK, or some mafiosi, town is more likely to stick around by my statistics and Asm isn't sticking around so far, so unless they appear and go "sorry guys I was busy" it's possible we've got this.)

Bottom line: I think that if Madge or Asm are scum we should lynch them but if wam is scum we have to NL. This points to lynching as best course of action since there's 2/3 chance it's the first case.

mike-l
Posts: 2758
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:16 am UTC

Re: SDK Runs Dethy - D1

Postby mike-l » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:05 am UTC

So you've decided how the entire game will go based on 3 posts from Madge and 2 from Asmodieus, unless wam or I flat out claim scum?
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

User avatar
Vytron
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:11 am UTC
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Re: SDK Runs Dethy - D1

Postby Vytron » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:35 am UTC

Assume you and me are town (I know I'm town, if you're town you'd know you're town), what other scenarios do you see?

mike-l
Posts: 2758
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:16 am UTC

Re: SDK Runs Dethy - D1

Postby mike-l » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:54 am UTC

Yes, if we're both town then someone else has to be mafia. That's completely useless because I and everyone else have no reason to assume you are town. And your strategy has also decided to not vote wam. Ever. Unless he says "hey folks I'm scum". Exactly what I don't want a teammate to do, so I quite hope you're scum.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

User avatar
Vytron
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:11 am UTC
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Re: SDK Runs Dethy - D1

Postby Vytron » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:24 am UTC

I asked you a question, what events would make me vote wam, and you never answered.

Quit hoping. I'm town, there's nothing you can do about that.

And I already said, me never voting wam is good if he's town. Period.

If you don't think he's town then we better go with the No Lynching stuff.

mike-l
Posts: 2758
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:16 am UTC

Re: SDK Runs Dethy - D1

Postby mike-l » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:41 am UTC

I gave that answer. Sometime in the next 3 pages that are likely to fill this thread you decide he's scummy. You're saying thats not possible short of him saying he's scum, which is not a strategy I'd like a teammate to adopt.

And saying "I'm town" is a completely useless statement.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

User avatar
Madge
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:45 am UTC
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: SDK Runs Dethy - D1

Postby Madge » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:54 am UTC

I really, really can't grok this whole "choose someone and assume they're town come hell or high water" sort of attitude, which - correct me if I'm mistaken - is what's precipitated this whole discussion.

Do you really want to give yourself a 20% chance of losing by having bad luck? It seems like such a scummy sort of thing to do.

Heck, even your declaring mike-l as cleared is pretty weird. Mike-l could well be scum who deduced (correctly) that running some strategy simulations would get him townie points. Let's not forget that scum!mike-l can just as easily run simulations to work out the safest result to get.

I'm tempted to ask mike-l to claim his result first tomorrow (should he survive, which in itself would be suspicious at that point, wine notwithstanding)
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

User avatar
Vytron
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:11 am UTC
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Re: SDK Runs Dethy - D1

Postby Vytron » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:47 am UTC

Madge wrote:Do you really want to give yourself a 20% chance of losing by having bad luck? It seems like such a scummy sort of thing to do.


No, I'm choosing a strategy that gives us 80% winning chances if mike is town.

I've run the numbers in my head and don't need any simulator, the only way we're losing this is if people lynch me or wam is scum. There's only a 20% chance that wam is scum. If I was going to be lynched then we'd have probably lost anyway.

So, if as mike says in the next three pages wam is going to be scummy or people think it's a good idea I'm lynched D2 or if in a case {town, me, scum} I'd be lynched, then be better start voting No Lynch and do it the other way.

mike-l
Posts: 2758
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:16 am UTC

Re: SDK Runs Dethy - D1

Postby mike-l » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:19 pm UTC

Vote Vytron

Giving ultimatums, admitting to using bad strategy, and just generally anti-town. I think he's scum, but even if he's town he's a town that we're most likely to lose an endgame if he's in, either by being mislynched or refusing to change his mind.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

User avatar
wam
Posts: 201
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:08 am UTC
Location: South England

Re: SDK Runs Dethy - D1

Postby wam » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:08 pm UTC

mike-l wrote:I don't know how much more clearly I can state this. Deciding to not change your mind is unequivocably bad strategy. Assuming someone is town is neutral to the odds of you allow yourself to change your mind and negative otherwise.

By all means, if you read someone as town don't vote for them, but deciding right here and now that someone is town and saying nothing can change your mind is a bad strategy (yes even when that someone is me).


I always find scum go one of two ways either flip flopping between all ideas or get very entrenched on their idea. Town tends to be a bit more willing to listen to reason.

Random idea I had last night would holding the results until D3 help, i need to think it through better but i thought I would throw it out there.

Vytron to my read is being his normal self (some things never change :D ). The issue being he plays like this as town and scum.

Asomodiues is till quiet but Its only been 48 hours so I;m not going to worry for a day or two.

Mike can you rerun your numbers based on investigating the player above us on the entry list?

Madge is still hedgin her bets but is giving off a slightly baffled townie vibe now as well, so now im wavering!
Come join us playing mafia signup here

mike-l
Posts: 2758
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:16 am UTC

Re: SDK Runs Dethy - D1

Postby mike-l » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:43 pm UTC

Yes I'm running the strategy: investigate up n1, investigate down n2. Will post results soon.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

User avatar
Madge
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:45 am UTC
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: SDK Runs Dethy - D1

Postby Madge » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:01 am UTC

vote: no lynch

I don't think this is getting us anywhere. Vytron is being his usual self, mike-l is being very townie which is sometimes a bad sign, wam is being reasonable, and asmodeus is being absent.

Here's my recommendation for claiming order tomorrow (i.e. a rough "scummy to townie" list - but mike-l is on the "scummy" side just because of the risk level if he is scum and because I think him surviving through the night is a little scummy - though now we've discussed this to death it's just going to be winey whatever happens).

If other people could post theirs maybe we can come to a consensus.

mike-l, vytron, asmodeus, wam

Also, who are we investigating tomorrow? Should we all investigate the same person, or should we do the person above/below us, or should we go to random.org and each choose someone at random?
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

User avatar
Vytron
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:11 am UTC
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Re: SDK Runs Dethy - D1

Postby Vytron » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:46 am UTC

I think revealing who we're going to target would only help scum know who they have to kill.

I think mike is town but he's so stubborn to not see his best strategy is having me as confirmed town (his "good strategy" is making him vote a townie, so my strategy is better by default.)

I think wam could easily have followed mike's train if he was scum.

So, Asm or Madge must be mafia.

Vote No Lynch

Because on an ending Vytron+mike+scum, mike would lose us the game by voting me :roll: - I just hope he's killed tonight, though I expect wam to die.

mike-l
Posts: 2758
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:16 am UTC

Re: SDK Runs Dethy - D1

Postby mike-l » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:05 am UTC

Couple things.

First, NL is at hammer-1. (NL-1??). So we should agree on a targeting strat before anyone else votes NL

Second, haven't run other strats yet due to my monitor dying. New monitor now but hockey is on, will run after the leafs finish losing.

Third I agree to Madge's order if we put her after Asmodieus.

Not responding to Vytron.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

mike-l
Posts: 2758
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:16 am UTC

Re: SDK Runs Dethy - D1

Postby mike-l » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:09 am UTC

Also it's been more than 48 hours since Asmodieus posted, never sure when it's appropriate to ask for a mod prod.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

User avatar
Vytron
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:11 am UTC
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Re: SDK Runs Dethy - D1

Postby Vytron » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:22 am UTC

mike-l wrote:Not responding to Vytron.


Prediction: We lose and I tell mike "see? we'd have won had you listened to me!"

User avatar
Madge
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:45 am UTC
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: SDK Runs Dethy - D1

Postby Madge » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:29 am UTC

unvote

Yeah we should agree on a targeting strategy first.

Here's the claiming order endorsed by me and mike-l:

mike-l, vytron, asmodeus, madge, wam

can we have a modprod on asmodeus please
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

User avatar
Madge
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:45 am UTC
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: SDK Runs Dethy - D1

Postby Madge » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:32 am UTC

in terms of targeting strategy:

we all investigate the same person,
do the person above/below us
go to random.org and each choose someone at random (vytron)

no preference: Madge (I am all ears)
preference not specified: wam, asmodeus, mike-l

I've put Vytron as wanting the random strategy since it's the one that doesn't involve scum knowing who targets whom; if you wanted something different (e.g. everyone targets the person they find scummiest) then please specify or just copy this list and add yourself there
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

mike-l
Posts: 2758
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:16 am UTC

Re: SDK Runs Dethy - D1

Postby mike-l » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:39 am UTC

Alright, Up/Down gives 47.5%, seems best so far. Random gives a bit under 46%. It seems that any strat is around those numbers (all targeting one person gives 46.7%, though if mafia plays poorly this actually goes up over 50, while mafia has fewer chances to play poorly in the other two cases)

I'm happy to go with any of these, random has the advantage of leaving mafia in the dark about targets, single target has the most potential for mafia to err, up/down has the best odds with perfect play. All of these are about as good as lynching randomly twice, and I still think that we can do better than that by scum hunting, so that's where my vote is right now.

If someone can independently verify the following 3 cases to make sure my code is getting correct outcomes.

Case 1:
Player 3 dead first night, everyone targets down (so 1 targets 2, 5 targets 1)
Results Scum, Cop, <Dead>, Cop, Cop
Pllayer 4 dead second night, everyone targets up (1 targets 5, 5 targets 4)
Results Cop, Cop, <Dead>, <Dead>, Cop

Only possible mafia is player 5

Case 2:
Same targeting
First Results: Scum,Scum,<Dead>,Cop, Cop
Second Results : Cop, Scum, <Dead>, <Dead>, Cop

Either 1 or 5 could be mafia

Case 3:
Same Targeting
First Results: Cop, Scum, <Dead>, Cop, Cop
Second Results: Scum, Scum, <Dead>, <Dead> Cop

Any living player could be mafia.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

mike-l
Posts: 2758
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:16 am UTC

Re: SDK Runs Dethy - D1

Postby mike-l » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:49 am UTC

EBWOP when I say same targeting, I mean same as above, not the same person. To be explicit in the second case the following happens:

First Results
P1 gets Scum on P2
P2 gets Scum on P3
P3 is dead
P4 gets Cop on P5
P5 gets Cop on P1

Second Results
P1 gets Cop on P5
P2 gets Scum on P1
P3 is dead
P4 is dead
P5 gets Cop on P4

and in this case we should know that P2 is a cop but either P1 or P5 could be mafia.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

User avatar
Vytron
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:11 am UTC
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Re: SDK Runs Dethy - D1

Postby Vytron » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:04 am UTC

My preference is we target someone that we think mafia will not kill (but we don't disclose who is it), if we're right then we have info about alive players.

This is better than Up/Down because Up/Down guarantees we get an useless result on the dead player.

Also, D2 we could lynch whoever claims copped the dead victim, or we force mafia to kill the second scummiest player, which should make the game easier.

Basically, everyone holds a personal list of players where, whoever we predict will be killed is removed, then we do Up/Down.

User avatar
Madge
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:45 am UTC
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: SDK Runs Dethy - D1

Postby Madge » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:16 am UTC

we all investigate the same person,
do the person above/below us
go to random.org and each choose someone at random
investigate the person we think is least likely to be NKd, do not disclose in advance (vytron)

no preference (yet): Madge
preference not specified: wam, asmodeus, mike-l
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

mike-l
Posts: 2758
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:16 am UTC

Re: SDK Runs Dethy - D1

Postby mike-l » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:23 am UTC

Results on dead players are not useless, it helps determine your sanity. Work through the examples I posted and you'll see this.

Lynching anyone on day 2 if we NL day 1 is a mistake, it's MYLO.

Pedit:
My preference is a day 1 lynch
Amongst the NL options I have no preference on target selection, I'm saying right now though that I'm using random.org if we don't go with 1 or 2, and reading anything into target selection or who was killed is simply wine.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

User avatar
Vytron
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:11 am UTC
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Re: SDK Runs Dethy - D1

Postby Vytron » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:53 am UTC

My preference is NL unless we lynch Asm, because I've said, I think the greatest chances is we're done with the game D1 because the rest doesn't happen.

I posted this in Gojoe the other day:

Seriously, if mike is town then all we need to do is to agree together about one other player we should consider town if one of us dies in the night and lynch from the rest if we're alone with them.

If this player dies we have won (because we wouldn't lynch each other.)

Otherwise we have 66.7% chance of winning (we only lose if we pick wrong from 3 players) and I haven't seen better chances than this.

That's why I said, town!mike should go with this plan or lynch me already, because if I'm town it's best and if I'm scum I should be lynched ASAP.


If mike is town this ensures 80% winning chances from my POV.

I disagree with random.org selection because it gets rid of the human element. I.e. we all come up with a plan, and follow the plan like sheeps, and if we win it doesn't mean anything, someone else could have signed up instead of me and followed the plan. That I am here doesn't matter, and I don't have a choice.

I really doubt that's what Dethy is about, and I know mafia is about making player choices based on people behavior, so, Madge, if you are town, I hope to convince you that you should decide on your target based on what people have done in the game, not by what's the order on a sign up list or what random.org gives you.

There's also another possibility:

We all target whoever we think will be the night target, but don't disclose who'll it be. This way if we're right we get insights on our sanity D2.

User avatar
Madge
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:45 am UTC
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: SDK Runs Dethy - D1

Postby Madge » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:55 am UTC

The "target the NK" might be tricky since most of us have said who we would kill if we were mafia, so e.g. mafia could comfortably guess I'd target mike (or maybe not....... wine).

I'm quite happy to target who I think won't die, if that's the consensus.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

mike-l
Posts: 2758
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:16 am UTC

Re: SDK Runs Dethy - D1

Postby mike-l » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:52 am UTC

unvote
Vote: no lynch


This puts us back to NL-1. Vytron and Madge are both ok with unspecified investigations, I am as well. You two can decide how people should chose, I'll be using random.org.


Asmodieus has been completely absent so far and it's been longer than I find reasonable. If you want to lynch him I'm on board with that too.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

User avatar
Madge
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:45 am UTC
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: SDK Runs Dethy - D1

Postby Madge » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:02 am UTC

I want him to post or be replaced before we end the day, if that's OK with everyone else?
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

mike-l
Posts: 2758
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:16 am UTC

Re: SDK Runs Dethy - D1

Postby mike-l » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:13 am UTC

I'm in favor them contributing, whether as themself or as a replacement.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

User avatar
Vytron
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:11 am UTC
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Re: SDK Runs Dethy - D1

Postby Vytron » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:44 am UTC

mike-l wrote:Asmodieus has been completely absent so far and it's been longer than I find reasonable. If you want to lynch him I'm on board with that too.


Still thinking this is best.

Unvote
Vote: Asmodieus

User avatar
Asmodieus
Posts: 188
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:16 pm UTC
Location: Ardis
Contact:

Re: SDK Runs Dethy - D1

Postby Asmodieus » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:45 pm UTC

Sorry guys, I found out I had a project due sooner than I expected so I dropped everything and started working on that. I also went to a Gogol Bordello concert yesterday. Chalk it up to irresponsibility.

Chiming in on the situation we're at right now, I feel like it's better if we all investigate one person. We'll get a good picture of whoever we target. I think that we should all investigate Vytron, I personally don't find him scummy but you guys seem to have more experience with his play style than I do. If we can confirm him town then we wont' have to debate over whether he's just wining by telling everyone to lynch him from the start.

mike-l wrote:Alright, Up/Down gives 47.5%, seems best so far. Random gives a bit under 46%. It seems that any strat is around those numbers (all targeting one person gives 46.7%, though if mafia plays poorly this actually goes up over 50, while mafia has fewer chances to play poorly in the other two cases)

I'm happy to go with any of these, random has the advantage of leaving mafia in the dark about targets, single target has the most potential for mafia to err, up/down has the best odds with perfect play. All of these are about as good as lynching randomly twice, and I still think that we can do better than that by scum hunting, so that's where my vote is right now.

If someone can independently verify the following 3 cases to make sure my code is getting correct outcomes.

Case 1:
Player 3 dead first night, everyone targets down (so 1 targets 2, 5 targets 1)
Results Scum, Cop, <Dead>, Cop, Cop
Pllayer 4 dead second night, everyone targets up (1 targets 5, 5 targets 4)
Results Cop, Cop, <Dead>, <Dead>, Cop

Only possible mafia is player 5




For case 1 the results are cop, cop, and cop which leads to player 5 being the only possible mafia. But couldn't mafia just lie second night since no one knows their sanity?


Vytron wrote:My preference is we target someone that we think mafia will not kill (but we don't disclose who is it), if we're right then we have info about alive players.

This is better than Up/Down because Up/Down guarantees we get an useless result on the dead player.

Also, D2 we could lynch whoever claims copped the dead victim, or we force mafia to kill the second scummiest player, which should make the game easier.

Basically, everyone holds a personal list of players where, whoever we predict will be killed is removed, then we do Up/Down.


The thing is that if everyone investigates a random person, you don't any concrete information on anyone d2 since we don't know our sanity. Also, you risk lynching a townie for whoever claimed to cop the dead victim.
Tillian wrote:Yeah, but the polar bears get more territorial during the summer, so we have to stay indoors.

User avatar
SDK
Posts: 703
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 7:40 pm UTC
Location: Canada

Re: SDK Runs Dethy - D1

Postby SDK » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:18 pm UTC

Votecount!

No Lynch (1): mike-l
Asmodieus (1): Vytron

Not voting: wam, Asmodieus, Madge

With 5 alive, it's 3 to lynch.


FYI, I will deliver prods after 48 hours with weekends counting as half time.
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

User avatar
wam
Posts: 201
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:08 am UTC
Location: South England

Re: SDK Runs Dethy - D1

Postby wam » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:47 pm UTC

Vote No lynch

AS i still think thats the best way to win.

I am flexible on the investigation targets, I am willing to accept mikes logic and stats.

Lynching whoever copped the dead townie is a stupid move.
Come join us playing mafia signup here


Return to “Mafia”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests