Multiverse Mafia Return to Reality! Town and Survivor Wins!

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Lataro

Multiverse Mafia Return to Reality! Town and Survivor Wins!

Postby Lataro » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:36 am UTC

Hello all,

I'd like to start this out by thanking everyone who signed up for this game. I didn't expect it to be this big or popular, and I've spent a LOT of time digging though old games, and some good ole fashion brainstorming to come up with roles for this game. This game is going to be beyond crazy, and I'd like to say right at the start, there are a lot of mechanics going on here, and even though your role may say something, and something else happens that seems to contradict it, trust me, it was planned to work that way. I left some exceptions to the rules out of your role PMs both to keep it simple, and not give too much information away. I just wanted everyone to be aware of this so that you can play this game with that in mind, so that if something changes, you'll know nothing is absolute. That said, as I promised before, I will not lie to you, I will not change the rules, you may not know all the rules, and things that seem like an absolute may not be. When roles with crazy powers interact, there are no absolutes.

On to the FUN!

First, lets look at the game rules we all know and love.
Spoiler:
1. You may only talk about this game in this thread and in an appropriately named spoiler in the Discussion Thread. If you are not playing this game, you may not post in this thread.
2. You may not play to lose. This will be dealt with at the mod's discretion (expect an immediate modkill if you play against your faction).
3. Do not lurk. Replacements are not an option. Be active and don't put yourself in the position to be modkilled please.
4. You may not edit your posts.
5. You may not post your role PM, or quote verbatim from it. You may paraphrase.
6. Votes and questions must be posted in

bold, on a newline.

You may also ask questions to the mod in PM.
7. You may not post game content in this thread after you are dead. (You may post death flavor.) If you are lynched, you are dead when the deadline is reached. Else, you are dead when the mod says so.
8. You may not post game content at night. It is night when the aforementioned deadline is reached or the mod calls for night. To be clear votals that appear hammered does not mean discussion must end.
9. The mod's decisions are final.

Make special note of rule eight above, it is different from how I normally run games!

Now, onto some game specific stuff:
1. You can do whatever you want as far as claiming goes, as a fair-minded person I'll say this, I wouldn't advise it.
2. More on Rule eight above. Even though discussion and actions can continue after a vote appears hammered, once a vote is hammered, that time stamp is when nothing else done matters. Submit an action after the facT? I don't care, it's too late. Be aware of this, that even though I'm allowing things to continue since when a vote is hammered and when it appears so may be different from reality, that point in time is still an absolute.
3. For those who can talk to each other out there, I hate listener type roles. Live assured that none exist or will be allowed to exist in this game.
4. Everyone has a win condition, and an extra win condition. I don't care if you've nailed your extra win condition ten times over, if you don't meet your first win condition, it doesn't count. Extra wins exist as an incentive to do something a fair bit more challenging than normal play would allow. Some are still easier than others, but since they are designed for a specific role in mind, that's to happen. Don't try and play exclusively for them, since as I said, if you fail to get your primary, it won't matter.

More to come if I think of anything I'm missing.

Player List:

Spoiler:
1. lynx
2. Madge
3. Suzaku
4. Xenomortis
5. BigNose
6. wam
7. USN
8. Tim
9. Adam H
10. Valius II
11. Aardvarki
12. StubbsKVM
13. roband
14. Snark
15. dimochka
16. Djehutynakht
17. cjquines
18. Angua
19.Diemo
20. just me
Last edited by Lataro on Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:42 pm UTC, edited 19 times in total.
DS9, after being told the story and moral of the boy who cried wolf by Julian.

Garak: "Are you sure that's the moral?"
Julian: "Of course. What else could it be?"
Garak: "Never tell the same lie twice."

Lataro

Re: Multiverse Mafia Pregame: Roles going out soon!

Postby Lataro » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:18 am UTC

They say that for every choice one can make, new worlds are born.

If that is true, then we can look at ourselves as seedlings, sprouting forward, growing, branching off, going one way, then another, infinitely expanding as choices are made. We can only exist down one path though, and while that path may seem full, in the infinite reality our tree exists in, and the path we take, it is small. Each path that branches off forms it's own unique world, and each person, their own seedling within this infinity. The scope of this vast forest of people, worlds, realities, can be hard to envision.

We call it, the Multiverse.

What if, within this infinite expanse, unlikely forces met? Some of the greatest forces imagined, now manifest, set to engage in an epic war? In this Multiverse, all is possible. This then, is the story of your small paths within it.

Welcome, to Multiverse Mafia, where anything can happen. Great powers, once existing on their own, now are here, and the stage is set. What role will you play in the struggle?

Day One starts now! Deadline is tentatively set for NEXT Friday at 11 PM PST.

Snark

Re: Multiverse Mafia Day One: Joined Realities

Postby Snark » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:52 am UTC

First game in forever. Hi everybody.

I'm wondering how similar this is going to be to Quantum Werewolf where scenarios keep collapsing and/or roles change mid game. Kinda hoping to avoid anything quite that random. Else we may cause an unparalleled paradox and destroy the multiverse.

I have a few ideas on how to proceed and will post stuff tomorrow after I sleep.
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?

Suzaku

Postby Suzaku » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:45 am UTC

Welcome back, Snark.

Snark wrote:I'm wondering how similar this is going to be to Quantum Werewolf where scenarios keep collapsing and/or roles change mid game.
I think it's more that there are going to be roles from multiple 'universes' (in the sense of, "the Marvel Universe," or, "the Universe of Battlestar Galactica,") rather than a 'multiple-worlds theory' multiverse like Quantum Mafia.

Some spec (probably not very useful, but hey, I'm really bored at work right now):
I guess it's obvious from the concept (best roles ever) that there won't be any vanillas. I would guess there may be more than one Mafia faction (maybe with some flavour universe commonality amongst members), and probably a fair smattering of indies as well.
I'm still pretty useless at figuring out balance; would anyone care to speculate what sort of splits may be reasonable/possible/out-of-the-question? Or does the (presumed) existence of so many power roles render any such speculation pointless?
Pronouns: he/him/his > they/them/their >> it/it/its
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.

StubbsKVM

Postby StubbsKVM » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:47 am UTC

This game will be awesome.

I like the extra win condition a lot.
Stubbs - next time I'm scum I think I'll just policy NK you at the first possible opportunity.(Suzaku)

Valius II
Location: You know, that place near the thing to the left of the whatsit.

Postby Valius II » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:51 am UTC

Hopefully I'll be able to contribute more here than I currently am in my other game.

I've gone and read some completed game to get an idea of what kind of posts are good content and what are just filler etc.

Lets see how it goes.

just_me

Postby just_me » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:25 am UTC

uh no confirming?
then simply ahoi and may madness ensue.
I am really looking forward to being totally puzzled what is happening.
I haven't played such a huge game online yet.
ha I'm kind of excited :>

also randomvote
Vote DJehutynahkt
Because he likes being lynched D1 so much.

StubbsKVM

Postby StubbsKVM » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:11 am UTC

vote just_me

for taking the time to spell his name correctly
Stubbs - next time I'm scum I think I'll just policy NK you at the first possible opportunity.(Suzaku)

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Postby Xenomortis » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:23 am UTC

There's going to be a bunch of indies.
There's going to be at least one mason group.
There's going to be at least one cult. :(

Standard stuff for a 20 player game I guess.

If I had to guess, town will comprise somewhere between 8 and 12. I'm leaning on the lower end of that range, due to me expecting a lot of independents.

Madge

Postby Madge » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:08 am UTC

Confirming.

I want to get this out of the way and say that according to my role PM, I have minus two votes against me when factoring for a lynch. This way nobody will get nasty surprises if I don't get lynched. (Thinking back to Secret Santa... admittedly I was mafia in that game so perhaps not the best example to use... but oh well).

This is exciting. I don't think my role is related to any "universe".
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

wam

Postby wam » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:12 am UTC

vote snark

just getting that out the way.

unvote

vote madge

thats a scum power about 90% of the time.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

BigNose

Postby BigNose » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:26 am UTC

MOD wrote:1. You can do whatever you want as far as claiming goes, as a fair-minded person I'll say this, I wouldn't advise it.
When I read my role, the first thing I felt I needed to do was claim.
Then I read the rules.

To quote Black Sabbath . .

YOU BASTARD!

OK, now that I have THAT out of my system . . WTF!

Re Xeno: NO. Too many Indies means that they have no allegiance and makes for simple hammering and a short/crap game.
Mafia - Obviously. 4 with GF, 5 without
Indies - 2 more likely than 3
Cult - Probably (80%+).
Cults - Maybe (40%-)
Town - Whatever's left.
Cop - Yes
Doctor - Yes
Vig - Probably
RBer - Probably (1 Mafia, 1 Town?)
Mason - For sure

Weird Roles - 21 (I'm sure the MOD has more than arms up his sleeves!)

Given current process . .

Vote: Valius II
Adacore wrote:In all honesty, BigNose has been pinging me slightly with almost every post since the start of the game. But he always does - I was utterly convinced he was anti-town for most of Wizardry2 and he was the High Wizard. I just can't read him.

just_me

Postby just_me » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:30 am UTC

seeing how we probably have magicians around, I think the cop/doc/vig scope doesn't make much sense.
We'll probably have people around who might be able to do all three.
I assume roles in complexity similar to Shadowmafia. (which is the only complicated game I played so far)

Xenomortis

Postby Xenomortis » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:34 am UTC

BigNose wrote:Re Xeno: NO. Too many Indies means that they have no allegiance and makes for simple hammering and a short/crap game.

By a lot, I mean something like three or four. I'd be surprised if it were as low as two.

t1mm01994

Postby t1mm01994 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:40 am UTC

Checking in to show my presence, more when I've reached my desktop.

StubbsKVM

Postby StubbsKVM » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:00 am UTC

Suzaku wrote:Welcome back, Snark.

Snark wrote:I'm wondering how similar this is going to be to Quantum Werewolf where scenarios keep collapsing and/or roles change mid game.
I think it's more that there are going to be roles from multiple 'universes' (in the sense of, "the Marvel Universe," or, "the Universe of Battlestar Galactica,") rather than a 'multiple-worlds theory' multiverse like Quantum Mafia.

Some spec (probably not very useful, but hey, I'm really bored at work right now):
I guess it's obvious from the concept (best roles ever) that there won't be any vanillas. I would guess there may be more than one Mafia faction (maybe with some flavour universe commonality amongst members), and probably a fair smattering of indies as well.
I'm still pretty useless at figuring out balance; would anyone care to speculate what sort of splits may be reasonable/possible/out-of-the-question? Or does the (presumed) existence of so many power roles render any such speculation pointless?

You think there's a possibility of there being only one faction?

Xenomortis

Postby Xenomortis » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:02 am UTC

That's not suggested at any point in his post.

roband

Postby roband » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:05 am UTC

egosearchin'

lynx

Postby lynx » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:43 am UTC

Checking in.
StubbsKVM wrote:You think there's a possibility of there being only one faction?
You don't?

Vote: Xenomortis
Indie alert.

Xenomortis

Postby Xenomortis » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:46 am UTC

That.... makes no sense.
If there's one faction then we don't have a game.

(I generally interpret indie to mean "faction with one person").

lynx

Postby lynx » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:54 am UTC

Of course there will be indies, but saying there will be 'a bunch of indies' with no evidence makes me think it's reasonably likely that you're independent.

StubbsKVM

Postby StubbsKVM » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:23 am UTC

lynx wrote:Checking in.
StubbsKVM wrote:You think there's a possibility of there being only one faction?
You don't?

I think it's very unlikely.

I think it's worth discussing though.

Xenomortis

Postby Xenomortis » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:28 am UTC

Where's that "Oh fuck off" post...

cjquines

Postby cjquines » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:16 pm UTC

Confirminatingishtarianism.

I think I've got little to no content to contribute at this post.

wam

Postby wam » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:44 pm UTC

My predictions for the game

Lots of death

town at least 50% as otherwise it's just unfair.
prob 10-12
mafia 4-6 Dependant on powers, could be two groups
1 sk at least
2-4 indys.

Did I say lots of death! Oh and choas, ntohing will be what we think.

t1mm01994

Postby t1mm01994 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:47 pm UTC

Alright, so first things first: I'm a miller. Wasn't sure whether I should claim, especially given Lataro's "BETTER NO CLAIMING", but seeing how this is only a small part of my role description, I think I should be good.

This leads me to believe there is a cop around, so that's something at least. Given how Lataro's said this game would be "beyond crazy", I think there will be multiple factions, and a possible minority of powerful town, with like, 2 recruiting roles (was lataro in avengers? If so we're doomed), a mafia and a couple indies.

roband

Postby roband » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:40 pm UTC

Snark wrote:First game in forever. Hi everybody.

And me. I'm well out of practice at this.
Suzaku wrote:I think it's more that there are going to be roles from multiple 'universes' (in the sense of, "the Marvel Universe," or, "the Universe of Battlestar Galactica,") rather than a 'multiple-worlds theory' multiverse like Quantum Mafia.

Agreed.
wam wrote:vote madge[/b]

thats a scum power about 90% of the time.

That's very short-sighted of you.

On balance, I'm expecting 12 town, 4 scum, and the rest made up of indies/maybe a cult leader.

I don't like Tim's claim, but I guess I'd rather hear it now than later :P

cjquines wrote:I think I've got little to no content to contribute at this post.

Vote cj

You've been here long enough to know that a post like that isn't good enough.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:35 pm UTC

Chalk me up as another person who hasn't played in forever (and I don't think I've ever played a Lataro game - they always seemed as though they'd be pretty complicated). I definitely don't have a feel for what the balance is going to be like in this game, especially with all the powers floating around and the extra win conditions. I think that multiple factions and/or multiple indies is most likely - given that there are only 20 people, it's either 2 small factions with maybe 1/2 indies, or one larger scum faction with 3-4 indies. From what I've observed of Lataro games, there will probably be a lot of killing. Also, these multiverse type games are generally ripe for backstabbing within the scum factions, so that might factor in to balance as well (I'm thinking of Marvel mafia here where I ended up being a scum traitor with my own cult who was in turn culted by someone else, which I guess made me a triple agent?).

Claims so far -
madge's claim of a -2 votes for lynch. I haven't played enough to know whether or not this is generally a scum power, but it does seem like a power that would be more advantageous to scum or indie.

Tim is claiming miller - as that is generally a good thing to do early on if you are a miller, I'm willing to let that go for now, but will definitely be keeping an eye on him.

Also, I won't be on much this weekend as I'm flying back to England on Saturday/Sunday (and then dealing with jetlag). Hopefully this won't be too much of a problem given that our deadline isn't until next-week Friday.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

lynx

Postby lynx » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:36 pm UTC

Xenomortis wrote:That.... makes no sense.
If there's one faction then we don't have a game.
Oh, just noticed this. I presume he meant anti-town faction, of course there isn't only one faction total. You're always cautious D1, but IGMEOY as this is OTT.

cjquines wrote:I think I've got little to no content to contribute at this post.
Unvote
Vote: cjquines

See whatever game it was where I was mafia and he was werewolf. Jungle?

Snark

Postby Snark » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:59 pm UTC

Madge wrote:Confirming.

I want to get this out of the way and say that according to my role PM, I have minus two votes against me when factoring for a lynch. This way nobody will get nasty surprises if I don't get lynched. (Thinking back to Secret Santa... admittedly I was mafia in that game so perhaps not the best example to use... but oh well).

This is exciting. I don't think my role is related to any "universe".

Quick post just to ask: Why did you think it was a good idea to claim this?
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?

Suzaku

Postby Suzaku » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:27 pm UTC

I think there's a possibility that there will be only one Mafia faction (in the normal sense of a group who know who they are and may have factional abilities). If there is only one, then I'd expect to see more solo-win indies as well.

That said, this is a large, complex game; I think it's quite likely that there will be more than one Mafia faction.
Pronouns: he/him/his > they/them/their >> it/it/its
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:40 pm UTC

Hello everyone. Quick post as I'm at work.

Standard I-suck-at-balance disclaimer: I'm thinking 4 mafia (what's a GF?), 2 indies. I second wanting to know why Madge claimed a vote resistance. I'm always afraid of miller claims, but I suppose I will judge Tim on his content more than his role.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:44 pm UTC

I'm assuming GF refers to Godfather.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:52 pm UTC

Ah, that makes sense. Thank you.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

Lataro

Postby Lataro » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:18 pm UTC

Votals:

DJehutynahkt - 1 - (just_me)
just_me - 1 - (StubbsKMV)
Madge - 1 - (wam)
Valius II - 1 - (BigNose)
cjquines - 2 - (roband, lynx)

Trap Card has been cast!

Deadline 11 PM PST Friday the 12th.

BigNose

Postby BigNose » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:30 pm UTC

Angua wrote:I'm assuming GF refers to Godfather.
Correct.
Adacore wrote:In all honesty, BigNose has been pinging me slightly with almost every post since the start of the game. But he always does - I was utterly convinced he was anti-town for most of Wizardry2 and he was the High Wizard. I just can't read him.

wam

Postby wam » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:34 pm UTC

WTH is the trap card??

StubbsKVM

Postby StubbsKVM » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:01 pm UTC

I'm not ready to find out

Xenomortis

Postby Xenomortis » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:06 pm UTC

Some form of vote trap?
I guess we can't dwell on it too much...

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:25 pm UTC

I'm not sure, but probably to do with votes? Yu-Gi-Oh is the only 'verse I am familiar of which has trap cards. Could be someone from there.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Return to “Mafia”