University Physics

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

circumlocuted

University Physics

Postby circumlocuted » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:47 pm UTC

I have enough credits to get my Associates degree in Computer Science from my local community college, and I'd like to just get it asap.
The only remaining requirement is University Physics.
From what I understand, it's a very standard course that's the same in most colleges.

The problem is, my school only offers a two-semester program.
I've seen some university physics courses offered by other four-year schools that are 6 credits, and would seem to cover all of the material of the two-semester program of my school.

Does anyone know about this?
I would love to just take a one semester physics program and graduate this fall, rather than next year.

Rilian

Re: University Physics

Postby Rilian » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:58 pm UTC

A community college requires university physics? WTFWTFWTFWTFWTF.
And I'm -2.

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:22 pm UTC

Yeah, I find the name University Physics to be a little amusing too.

Anyway, most of the time Physics is two semesters because one is mechanics and the other is electromagnetism. Most of the time, if you've taken a basic physics class before, you don't need to take the mechanics one to understand the electromagnetism one. See if you can talk to your school and see if they will allow you to take both at once. Essentially, this is what the 6 credit class will do.

If you haven't had any physics before, I wouldn’t suggest attempting that, and I doubt you'd be able to get permission either.

Omegaton

Postby Omegaton » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:55 pm UTC

KestrelLowing wrote:Yeah, I find the name University Physics to be a little amusing too.

Anyway, most of the time Physics is two semesters because one is mechanics and the other is electromagnetism. Most of the time, if you've taken a basic physics class before, you don't need to take the mechanics one to understand the electromagnetism one. See if you can talk to your school and see if they will allow you to take both at once. Essentially, this is what the 6 credit class will do.

If you haven't had any physics before, I wouldn’t suggest attempting that, and I doubt you'd be able to get permission either.

Permission? Hell, I took Econ I and Econ II simultaneously. Sure Econ != Physics, but sometimes you can sneak signing up for certain courses under their noses.

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:11 pm UTC

Omegaton wrote:Permission? Hell, I took Econ I and Econ II simultaneously. Sure Econ != Physics, but sometimes you can sneak signing up for certain courses under their noses.

Well, it depends on what system you use to sign up for courses. At my school, the prereqs for each class are programed into the system and if you don't have a prereq, it won't let you enroll in the class. The only way you can get around this is by having your academic advisor enter a waver into the system. (For example, I was attempting to sign up for a required gen. ed. class that you're supposed to take during your sophomore year. I was a second year, but due to AP credit and the like, I was technically a senior credit-wise. The system wouldn't let me sign up because I wasn't a sophomore and I had to get a waver.)

B.Good

Postby B.Good » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:26 pm UTC

There may also be an issue with what semesters the classes are offered. At the community college that I attend, the class that is basically a mechanics class is only offered in the fall and the (mostly) electricity and magnetism class is only offered in the spring. However, they also have a multi-semester program and I will just be taking the mechanics course before I transfer.

nash1429

Postby nash1429 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:51 am UTC

Omegaton wrote:I took Econ I and Econ II simultaneously

As I understand it, Econ I and Econ II often cover very different and only loosely related material.

Return to “School”