Things to Buy for College

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Ventanator

Things to Buy for College

Postby Ventanator » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:21 pm UTC

Well, as August rapidly approaches, I'm beginning to look at purchasing a few things for college.

Seeing as I'm a clueless little freshmen with only their guides provided by the college (buy our sheets!) to guide my way, I am lost. I'm just wondering if any of you have suggestions on things that I'll need but are often over looked. I was looking at a printer (but will I need one, really) and a wireless keyboard (I'm a computer science major).

TaintedDeity

Re: Things to Buy for College

Postby TaintedDeity » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:29 pm UTC

Highlighters and post it notes. When revising these things will be used in bucket loads.
Edit: It occurs to me you're likely American and therefore the word 'college' is kind of different.
In that case, you may or may not need highlighters and post its... :oops:
Ⓞⓞ◯

Ventanator

Postby Ventanator » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:40 pm UTC

Well, by college, I meant a four year university. And, I've already got highlighters. (puts sticky notes on list)

Ivor Zozz

Postby Ivor Zozz » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:53 pm UTC

Paperclips and a stapler come in handy. A hole-punch, too, if you plan on keeping any stuff in binders. Maybe some dividers for the binders.

But how much you'll need those things depends on how paper-oriented your classes are. Some professors love to hand out everything in hard copy, others will do practically everything online. Since you are CS I imagine things would tend toward the latter, but the tools I mentioned are cheap and even if you don't use them much yourself it's nice to be able to help other people out by lending them.
The Classical I call the healthy, the Romantic the sick. - Goethe

mochafairy

Postby mochafairy » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:20 am UTC

If you can, and your living accommodations allow it, I'd recommend a mini fridge and a coffee pot along with supplies to make coffee and/or tea. I'd also recommend a bike or a skateboard or roller blades or some other means of quicker transportation. I would personally get a printer, but make sure to keep up on the supplies. Also, invest in an alarm clock.

Your cell phone, if you have one, is not always a reliable method of waking you up. Always have a back up.

A lot of on campus printing is strictly in black and white, and for special reports it does help to have it in color. Sometimes the computer lab printers on campus break, or have 5 hour long lines (damn you people who print off 1000 page reports all at once, and decide to all do it at the same time). I use my printer as my primary. Always print stuff off a couple hours before, if you can. That way, if your printer decides to be a brat, you can use the campus printing.

Sometimes it's nice to go for a bike ride, and sometimes it cuts your time to class in half. They're completely useless in the winter (well, depending in the winters at your university), but for the rest of the year it's nice to have them. Make sure you get the proper locks, and if your campus is anything like mine, make good friends with the cops and your local bike shop (people on my campus tend to destroy bikes...sit on the wheels and bend them out of shape, steal everything off your bike so that only the frame is left attached to the pole (not even the seat is left!), break your bike chain...)

You probably won't need the coffee/tea supplies this first semester, but it's nice to have them for those late night study sessions, or "Oh crap I have a paper due in the morning!", or the "Only <insert a truly evil being> could have made classes start this early."

The mini fridge is nice if you don't have access to a fridge, or if you want to keep your stuff separate. You might want to buy liquid nails and put a lock on it, though, if you don't trust other people to not consume your stuff. For some "starving college students", and unlocked fridge is an invitation to eat and drink.

Side note: make sure you have proper storage for all your medications and make a sick day kit. It's more important to do this if you have chronic conditions, but it's still a good idea for any person to keep BRAT (bananas, rice, apples, toast (or bread)) food handy (because it's good for when you're sick and it's also healthy!) and also keep a stash of pain killers, fever reducers, cold medicine, bandages, antibiotic ointment, a copy of your prescriptions...if you don't know what you should have on hand, look at your home medicine cabinet/drawer/whatever and make a list.
"YES. DO IT WITH CONFIDENCE" ~fortune cookie

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:36 am UTC

As mentioned, a reliable alarm clock. I found this thing critical - I made my alarms quad redundant because sometimes I'm just so exhausted or it's so noisy that one alarm won't do.

I like a whiteboard, but this depends on what you're studying and how your room is organized. I put mine 3 feet behind my desk, so every time there's something new to jot down, I turn around and write. I'm an interface designer, so I also draw workflows and prototypes there. I then take photos with a camera and back it up to my computer before wiping it. Much cleaner than wasting lots of paper on it.

Some kind of music player. Seriously. When the going gets tough, you will need one.

Desk stuff - staplers. I love those reusable adhesives too, much better than tape for wall purposes. Spare paper, and lots of it. A clipboard, if you're like me and can't sit still in front of a desk for very long. Blank CDs. I found CDs to be a more elegant manner of handing people finished applications.

Somewhere to store snacks. You'll highly need this, honestly. I usually have a modest size of snacks - chocolate and those mint things, mainly - which are often really helpful to give yourself a mood boost. Your brain functions surprisingly better after consuming just 1 row of a Hershey chocolate bar.

Since you're in CS - I highly suggest a printer, memory card reader, and a scanner too if you can get cheap but good one. And one of those USB hubs. What laptop are you using? If it's a mac I can give you a list of apps that made my life a million times easier in college.

It'd also be nice if you can give us your budget.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

achan1058

Postby achan1058 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:53 am UTC

Are you living in residence of some sort or are you living with your parents and still commute. If you are living in residence, you might need quite a few thing, including cooking utensils, blankets, pillows, etc. (depending on what they have/don't have)

Ventanator

Postby Ventanator » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:59 am UTC

I am indeed using a mac, so yeah, please?

Also, I'm living on campus in a brand new dorm room. I'll have one roommate, one provided fridge, a chest of drawers, a nightstand, a single bed, a walk in closet, and a bathroom. It's pretty nice, but it doesn't have a kitchenette. I really really like the idea of a whiteboard, by the way.

Allium Cepa

Postby Allium Cepa » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:17 am UTC

My college's orientation book thing said that the most overlooked item are clothes hangers. I'm also thinking about getting a brita filter so I can save on water bottles but still have better than tap, although the water might not be bad there.

Ventanator wrote:Also, I'm living on campus in a brand new dorm room. I'll have one roommate, one provided fridge, a chest of drawers, a nightstand, a single bed, a walk in closet, and a bathroom. It's pretty nice, but it doesn't have a kitchenette.

Haha, let's not get greedy, that sounds like great accomodations.
Take me back to the day that I went blind, I would like to see your face for one last time.

cv4

Postby cv4 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:53 am UTC

I'd still consider a minifridge as well. You can basically not have too much fridge space.

Andromeda321

Postby Andromeda321 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:01 am UTC

I'd recommend contacting your roommate as soon as you learn who they are and split up who brings what for the bigger items. My roomie and I had a deal whereby she brought the mini-fridge and small TV and I brought the printer/ beanbag chair and this worked out well for us. :)

Ventanator

Postby Ventanator » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:40 am UTC

Well, we have been in contact, but the plan ins't really definitive yet. I'm bringing two sets of shelves (one for books and one for towels and stuff in the bathroom) and a microwave. I've also got a mini-fridge, but one is provided (do you think I should really have two?). We're set for tv's, of course neither of us have flatscreens so they're going to be big bulky things. He says that he can get a printer (probably), so we're set for that.

(side note: pretty sure my roommate will be cool - he knows what thinkgeek.com is anyway!)

cv4

Postby cv4 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:37 pm UTC

Ventanator wrote:(side note: pretty sure my roommate will be cool - he knows what thinkgeek.com is anyway!)

I didn't realize the acknowledgement of thinkgeek was a precursor for being cool. lol.

Ventanator

Postby Ventanator » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:40 pm UTC

cv4 wrote:
Ventanator wrote:(side note: pretty sure my roommate will be cool - he knows what thinkgeek.com is anyway!)

I didn't realize the acknowledgement of thinkgeek was a precursor for being cool. lol.

Well now you know. Acknowledge accordingly.

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:45 pm UTC

I wish I'd had a geeky roommate in college. Instead I, a fat introverted straightedge gamer-type on full tuition scholarship was paired with a drunken pre-sorority girl who liked makeup and singing and ended up getting expelled for plagiarism during second semester. doh. I wonder what dolt matched us up :(
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

ximun

Postby ximun » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:22 pm UTC

I think Steax and mochafairy covered most of it, BUT:

I assume you'll have to buy a bunch of books for your courses. And unless you're a neat freak like me, you'll want to write down stuff, highlight passages, etc. So you might want to buy Avery NotePads. Basically they're translucent post-it notes with a tab on the side, you can stick them on your book pages to take notes. The reason why I suggest this is that books are expensive and with NotePads you'll be able to sell them after graduating.

Otherwise, I understand that you want to be properly geared for college, but at the same time don't go crazy and bring too much stuff. I don't think you'd enjoy a cluttered dorm room, although it seems quite spacious. Start with the bare minimum, and slowly buy things you need. That way you will save money and you won't buy unnecessary stuff. You should definitely check out articles on the subject.

Have fun in college, let's hope your roommate doesn't turn out to be an asshole.

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:32 pm UTC

If you're looking into a whiteboard, what I did was get a big piece of clear plexiglass and just put it against the white wall; instant whiteboard for a fraction of the cost, and it's easier to get a really large one, or cut it down to the perfect size. I took a permanent marker and drew a grid to serve as a calander on one side, filled in the dates with erasable marker each month, and left the other side for notes.

Little clipboards are great, too - pop in a lecture's worth of notes, small enough that you can carry a bunch and keep things seperate. I used to carry one big zippered binder with dividers to seperate each lecture, but that never worked very well as far as keeping things in their place.

Don't worry about roommates - if you get one that's completely different from you, as most of us do, it forces you to experience a different perspectie, and also forces you to get out of the dorm room and meet other people. You're better off in the end.
I don't know what to do for you

mochafairy

Postby mochafairy » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:21 am UTC

Holy crap, yes on the hangers. I totally spaced that.

Having your own fridge/food-beverage space is helpful. It provides extra storage for when you want/need it, but it also allows you some personal storage space for medications or consumables. If you're not sure about it, wait until you get there and you can decide if you want it or not.

I don't know what your living accommodations will provide, whether they provide shelves or desks or lamps or how the lighting is in the room or microwaves or eating utensils...

If you're not sure about something, I personally would wait on getting it. If you end up not needing something, then you saved money, which you can use on food (not ramen!) or games (hooray! you still have time to play!) or other stuff! If you end up needing/wanting stuff, you can always have it shipped or purchase it at a later date.

Odd_nonposter

Postby Odd_nonposter » Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:00 am UTC

Sometimes it's nice to go for a bike ride, and sometimes it cuts your time to class in half. They're completely useless in the winter (well, depending in the winters at your university), but for the rest of the year it's nice to have them. Make sure you get the proper locks, and if your campus is anything like mine, make good friends with the cops and your local bike shop (people on my campus tend to destroy bikes...sit on the wheels and bend them out of shape, steal everything off your bike so that only the frame is left attached to the pole (not even the seat is left!), break your bike chain...)

+++ On this.
In larger, city campuses, get a bike lock that can wrap through the front tire, around a sturdy pipe in the frame, and through the back tire. I have seen bikes left for an entire day with just the front wheel chained to the bike...thingy... only to come back later and find everything else stolen off of it.
CorruptUser wrote:Religions are like genitalia. It's OK to have them, but don't whip them out in public, don't argue about whose is better, and keep them away from my kids.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:58 am UTC

Definitely get the white board: even as an English major I used the crap out of them just to organize essays and other various things.

Another thing, there's these wire cube thingies that turn into shelves, get some, they're absolutely amazing and about the cheapest way to get great shelves in a variety of tetris flavours. Then there's this slightly other kind of metal shelving with rods that gives you variable heights that works great for things like t.v.s

And your dorm will most likely have a kitchen somewhere. Oh, and free food for your ta's, don't forget that. They will very much appreciate that. Very, very much so.

achan1058

Postby achan1058 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:06 pm UTC

Odd_nonposter wrote:

+++ On this.
In larger, city campuses, get a bike lock that can wrap through the front tire, around a sturdy pipe in the frame, and through the back tire. I have seen bikes left for an entire day with just the front wheel chained to the bike...thingy... only to come back later and find everything else stolen off of it.
I must also stress on a laptop lock, if you are going to be using a laptop. Laptop thefts are unfortunately rather common.

llamacheez

Postby llamacheez » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:48 pm UTC

I'm totally going to get a white board next year (or a plexi glass board!)...halfway through college here, and it sounds like a great investment!

I had been using a lot of paper to do lists, but I think a white board would be better. Plus a calendar and maybe weekly schedule marked on permanently (or if it's plexiglass, printed out and taped on the backside!).

I just recently started using google calendar because I'm doing an REU this summer, so my schedule is crazy, and I need to remember everything. I'd recommend getting a google calendar together so you can easily put down any commitments you make--have all your classes, meetings, appointments, etc. on there.

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:38 pm UTC

Do you know what the power socket situation is? I found in my first year that an extension cord type thing (http://img.diytrade.com/cdimg/318596/34 ... N_CORD.jpg) was invaluable. I also purchased a clothes horse (http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4 ... AA280_.jpg) to dry/air out laundry. assuming you have room for one, I'm not sure what US uni rooms are like, what with sharing and all.
Even though you don't have a kitchenette I'd probably get basic cutlery for snackables. I'm assuming you won't need kitchenware, but maybe a can opener? And a bottle opener/corkscrew if you drink
Seconding the sick-kit. Moving in to uni, especially autumn/winter means there's tons of germs going around, especially Fresher's flu.

I've included links to pictures as I'm using British English names and haven't the foggiest if they're the same that side of the pond.
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

sje46

Postby sje46 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:41 pm UTC

Put your whiteboard on the outside of the door along with an attached marker so people can leave you messages when you're not there.

Slippers for the shower. Beyond that everything else is unnecessary. Don't buy a hole-punch, post its, highlighters,etc, unless you actually use that crap. If you do, you might as well buy a ruler, gluesticks, colored pencils, and a Barney lunchbox.

You need to ask your roommate what he's bringing. You may want a TV, or extra furniture, or a rug, or a kiddie pool.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

mochafairy

Postby mochafairy » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:14 pm UTC

Put your whiteboard on the outside of the door along with an attached marker so people can leave you messages when you're not there.

I wouldn't do that, at least until you get a feel for your neighbors. Drunk or just plain rude people tend to draw genitalia on them and then you get in trouble because it's on your door. If you feel like they won't do that, or you won't get in trouble, or if you're fine with the consequences, then go ahead.

If people need to leave you a message, then can slip paper under your door or text or call or e-mail or send you a letter or leave you notes in your secret code in your secret hiding spots or however it is that you decide to communicate.

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:14 pm UTC

A FAN!!! Seriously, it doesn't matter where you're going to school, even if it's in Alaska, you're going to want a fan. I suppose your dorms might be air conditioned, and then that wouldn't be quite as big of an issue, but it's nice to get some ventilation once in a while.

I would definitely suggest a mattress pad. It gives you a bit more padding and depending on the provided mattress, that could be a big help. If you're really picky about your bed, you might want to consider one of those egg-carton pads.

Also, you don't need all that much bedding. What I end up having is a set of sheets (you only need one set) and a couple lightweight blankets. I also have an afghan, but that's more because I can't live without one (I own about 5, so just one at college is pretty good for me!), not because it's necessary to keep warm. Dorms are notorious for being overheated. (Note: I go to school in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, so it's pretty cold there, and I'm perfectly fine) If your dorm doesn't have carpet, a couple rugs might be a good idea so your feet don't freeze in the morning.

You also need to figure out the climate at your college and be prepared. If it rains a lot, you might want to invest in a decent raincoat, as umbrellas tend to break. (On that thought, a needle and thread will be helpful, as well as duct tape) I go to school where there's a lot of snow, and it's very common to ditch all other shoes and wear only your snow boots as soon as November hits, so I invested in a good pair that are warm and comfy, as well as a ridiculously warm winter coat and all accessories for that.

As for a printer, it really depends on the university. I got by just fine without one (printing was completely free, no quotas, black & white and color), but it is handy to have when you forgot to print out your paper the morning before class when everyone else is trying to print their papers as well.

Finally, depending on how close you live, you might be able to keep some stuff at your parents house until you need it (like winter clothes and such), but I personally think that's not necessary. I would say that everything you plan on taking to college should fit in a small to normal car size - like a grand am or something. If you have to move yourself, then you're probably already planning for it. If not, then plan for it because you probably will have to someday. I can fully furnish an apartment except for furniture (so kitchen, bathroom, clothes, etc.) with just what I pack in my car. Packing a car well can become an art. This allows me to easily* move to and from college and internships. Also, larger Rubbermaid tubs are your friends.

*ok, moving is never exactly painless, but it's much more convenient
Last edited by KestrelLowing on Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:15 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:16 pm UTC

llamacheez wrote:I had been using a lot of paper to do lists, but I think a white board would be better. Plus a calendar and maybe weekly schedule marked on permanently (or if it's plexiglass, printed out and taped on the backside!).
Wow, things that make you go "Duh" - I thought I was being clever drawing my calander on my plexiglass with permanent marker, but even then, it'd need touchups now and then. It never occured to me to draw it on the backside!
I don't know what to do for you

Omegaton

Postby Omegaton » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:51 pm UTC

I don't use one, but some people like to use a planner or agenda, which can be handy when you're on the go and you need to look up what you're doing. I suppose nowadays an iPhone can do this and sync it with Google calendar or iCal and fancy stuff like that. Keeping a to-do list can be helpful so you don't have to keep it all in your head.

mochafairy wrote:

I wouldn't do that, at least until you get a feel for your neighbors. Drunk or just plain rude people tend to draw genitalia on them and then you get in trouble because it's on your door. If you feel like they won't do that, or you won't get in trouble, or if you're fine with the consequences, then go ahead.

If people need to leave you a message, then can slip paper under your door or text or call or e-mail or send you a letter or leave you notes in your secret code in your secret hiding spots or however it is that you decide to communicate.

I think having white-boards on doors is pretty common nowadays so while it's a potential problem I think the benefit outweighs the costs. I remember having a white board, and some people used a permanent marker to draw a penis on the door itself. The white board was irrelevant to their goals.

On the topic of whiteboards, I will note that while in my freshmen dormitory my whiteboard was used a lot, later in my college career it was unused and eventually I didn't put one up at all.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:46 pm UTC

At my school, if someone draws genitalia, you definitely wouldn't be blamed for it. Just tell the RA. They will then take a picture of your whiteboard and add it to "The Bias Gallery", which is a roaming exhibit of incidents and graffiti and stuff that has occurred at school.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.

++$_
Mo' Money

Postby ++$_ » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:53 am UTC

My list (most of which has already been said):

Sheets, clothes appropriate to the place you will be, towels, sandals, toiletries, acetaminophen, ibuprofen (you don't want to have to hope someone else has them), alarm clock, fan (this doubles as a white noise generator), earplugs, umbrella, plastic bags, duct tape, scissors. Luxury: Comfortable desk chair, adjustable wrench, screwdriver. Fridges and microwaves are overrated IMO, but that's not to say they're useless. They are heavy and take up space, though.
Backpack (get a large and sturdy one), paper, pencils/pen, stapler (you can buy these at the college but you might not like the selection), power strip, computer, network cable (you are virtually guaranteed to need it at some point), USB flash drive, calculator, phone, watch, flashlight, batteries, wallet with ID, ATM card, insurance information. Optional: desk lamp.
Computer games (if you play them), music, radio, a good set of real headphones (this is so that you don't have to wear earbuds to play music politely late at night).
If you are on a large campus: bicycle, bicycle puncture kit, small bicycle pump, bike lock, gloves (riding is cold at night in the winter).

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:16 pm UTC

I just thought of something else that can be very helpful: those 3M hooks and adhesive tape stuff. They really are non-marking, even if you don't clean the area with alcohol first, and they can be very handy. There are also some specifically for cords so you can route them over doors without getting yelled at by the RA for using duct tape. The 3M strips can also be used to hang posters and work quite well.

I also used the strips to attach a jury-rigged alarm clock stand to the corner of the room by my bed. (I cut a small box on the diagonal so it would fit in the corner) This allowed me to have the clock at my (lofted) level without taking up bed space, and allowed me to shut the alarm off a bit quicker so my roommate wasn't too annoyed.

I'd also suggest getting a set of hooks that goes over your door. I used that for towels mostly, but also winter coats. (I used a large 3M hook for lighter weight coats in another location, but my huge winter coat was just too heavy for the hook.)

If you're rich or have a generous benefactor, and depending on what type of computer you have, you might want to consider a wireless router for your dorm, unless the dorm forbids that. It was nice for me to do homework on my bed as there was a lot larger space for me to spread my books and papers, (a clipboard might be helpful there, but I always used a textbook) and I could use my laptop up there if I needed to look something up. Make sure you have your network protected and tell only select people the password. If you don't have a router, just buy a relatively long Ethernet cable. It's not quite as convenient, but you can still move your laptop around.

llamacheez

Postby llamacheez » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:53 pm UTC

If there's any shortage of space in your room, I totally recommend keeping your bed lofted with your desk or something under it (careful not to hit your head...happens to the best of us). Also, you can use some coat hangers and cardboard (or a plastic lid to a storage tub instead of the cardboard), or a milk crate, with some bungee cord or something to make a "bedside table" for your alarm clock.

Actually while I'm at it, I'd recommend you take some bungee cords (the ~30cm ones with hooks) and perhaps two milk crates.

lws

Postby lws » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:49 pm UTC

A small set of tools:
Because you need to bludgeon the insides of things at surprising times, or more rarely, put things back together. Screwdriver, knife, hammer, pliers, and a few shifter spanners. (The shifter spanners make good hammers, too.)

Methylated spirits
(ethanol, denatured alcohol), for cleaning sticker-gunk off things, sterilising things, and making improvised flamethrowers.

A keychain light
for your inevitable late night adventures.

Duct tape, for making things stick to each other. WD40, for preventing things sticking to each other.

Wireless keyboard? Had one and sold it, since it never moved from my desk. Grab a second monitor instead; an old CRT will do and can be had basically for free.

Tip #1: Better World Books will save you hundreds off the cost of textbooks*.
Tip #2: don't be overzealous and buy books in advance; at least at my university, lecturers have an annoying habit of never mentioning the textbook after the first class. Those things are EXPENSIVE, man.
Tip #3: The things listed above are mandatory. Don't buy anything else until you are actually LIVING at college and you have identified a clear need for the item in question. Otherwise, you end up in my situation: having to move/store a gigantic pile of stuff at the end of the year!

Also remember to bring a plentiful supplies of elbow grease, gumption, and caffiene.

- Lewis.

*not linked because of the "no links until 5 posts" policy on these here forums.

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:40 am UTC

lws wrote:making improvised flamethrowers.

You never know when that'll come in handy.

Something you can never have too many of, especially if you and your roommate like TV and gaming: power strips. Sometimes you can fit all your plugs into one strip, but that just wouldn't make sense. Also, be sure to check if the outlets are grounded. They should be, but you need to buy a grounded to 2 prong adapter if they are not
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

lws

Postby lws » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:25 am UTC

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:

You'll be thanking me when the zombie invasion starts.

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:Something you can never have too many of, especially if you and your roommate like TV and gaming: power strips. Sometimes you can fit all your plugs into one strip, but that just wouldn't make sense. Also, be sure to check if the outlets are grounded. They should be, but you need to buy a grounded to 2 prong adapter if they are not

Holy crap, you still have ungrounded powerpoints in the US?
Li-aung "Lewis" Yip
BEng(Elec) + BSc(Mathematics) undergraduate, James Cook University, Australia
"Tandis qu'ils dorment, nous gagnerons."

sje46

Postby sje46 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:25 am UTC

Get this: In America, we unplug devices while they're still live! That's right, we don't have little switches next to the outlets that we must turn off before we unplug the device. We just unplug it, and if we do it in a dark room, we see a spark!

lws

Postby lws » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:49 am UTC

sje46 wrote:Get this: In America, we unplug devices while they're still live! That's right, we don't have little switches next to the outlets that we must turn off before we unplug the device. We just unplug it, and if we do it in a dark room, we see a spark!

Man, your country blows. Up. (I hope that you folks don't use gas stovetops anymore...)

The other extreme: the Brits have fuses installed in every single appliance cord. Safety to the maxxxxxxxxxxxxtreme!

- Lewis.
Li-aung "Lewis" Yip
BEng(Elec) + BSc(Mathematics) undergraduate, James Cook University, Australia
"Tandis qu'ils dorment, nous gagnerons."

crayfish

Postby crayfish » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:01 pm UTC

Make sure to buy extension cords and a power strip or two. In my experience the dorms will have 3 power outlets for the 45 electrical appliances you need plugged in, also they will be in the most in-accessible spots possible. Apart from that make sure you have a lock for your bike and use it, I had my bike stolen from a fenced in yard where it left it unlocked for less than 15 minutes. Febreze is amazing, liquid dish soap can be used to clean anything, oh and get some Tums if your eating dorm food, you'll need it. Oh, and boatloads of duct tape, I mean like two of the super rolls.

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:02 pm UTC

lws wrote:
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:

You'll be thanking me when the zombie invasion starts.

It'll be one more thing to add to our arsenal. My floor made a plan for what happened in case of zombies. Our weapons of choice were guns for the big ones and pickaxes and crowbars for the normal zombies. If you want more detail, let me know
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:Something you can never have t
oo many of, especially if you and your roommate like TV and gaming: power strips. Sometimes you can fit all your plugs into one strip, but that just wouldn't make sense. Also, be sure to check if the outlets are grounded. They should be, but you need to buy a grounded to 2 prong adapter if they are not

Holy crap, you still have ungrounded powerpoints in the US?

In houses, mostly. My dorms were grounded. My home (built 1960s) is not, mostly. I'm living in a house this fall and out downstairs is grounded, but some of the basement and most of the upstairs (where we live) is not.
sje46 wrote:Get this: In America, we unplug devices while they're still live! That's right, we don't have little switches next to the outlets that we must turn off before we unplug the device. We just unplug it, and if we do it in a dark room, we see a spark!

Indeed. When I first plugged in my computer's charger at night, I was a bit worried about the blue spark. Since my house hasn't caught fire, I don't mind the spark anymore
Various wrote:Duck Tape

You'll need it. I used it to affix my speakers to the underside of my lofted bed.
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

supermario

Postby supermario » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:14 am UTC

Steax wrote: Since you're in CS - I highly suggest a printer, memory card reader, and a scanner too if you can get cheap but good one. And one of those USB hubs. What laptop are you using? If it's a mac I can give you a list of apps that made my life a million times easier in college.

Could you post those apps please? I am probably going into CS and will be using a MacBook Pro.

Not my thread, but thanks for all the tips everyone, this thread had been invaluable so far.

Also, this list seems really comprehensive and has helped me plan: http://whattotaketocollege.com/

Return to “School”