GRE

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Windmill

GRE

Postby Windmill » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:18 pm UTC

I'm graduating in a year and a half, and I've basically decided to go to grad. school. I am about 60% sure I'll be attending grad school at the same institution since I've got a great deal going and it's where my heart is. I don't need to take the GRE to gain admission because of my GPA and it being the same school and such, but I'm going to anyway so I have the options for other places open.

Anyway, to the point. What can I expect from the GRE? I remember the SAT in high school was pretty easy, I was mainly concerned with not falling asleep during it and I ended up with a really good score. Obviously I've grown a lot as a student in college, so can I expect the GRE to be on a proportional level to what the SATs were? Or any information on it would be good.

I hadn't even thought about taking it this year, but I was talking to my boss at my internship about it, and he said I should probably take it this fall and apply around or before December. So I'll probably shoot for November and get all of my stuff together.

Ivor Zozz

Re: GRE

Postby Ivor Zozz » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:59 pm UTC

Never taken it myself, but from what I have heard, GRE math is incredibly easy, even more so than the SAT, while GRE verbal is tougher, primarily testing vocab. Then there is the analytical writing part which I haven't heard anything about really.
The Classical I call the healthy, the Romantic the sick. - Goethe

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:13 am UTC

Take it, don't worry about it. If you did well on the SAT, worrying about the GRE won't change your score very much: but keep in mind it is designed to differentiate people who are considering graduate school, most of whom have done well on the SAT.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

llamacheez

Postby llamacheez » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:23 pm UTC

I heard they're drastically changing the GRE this year. Quick link: http://www.kaptest.com/GRE/Home/revised-gre.html

I'm graduating college in spring 2012 and planning to go to grad school (physics) that fall, so the application process is in 2011. Does anyone know when in 2011 this change is happening? I was originally planning to take the "regular" GRE in spring 2011 (or perhaps in early summer, like in the awkward weeks between when school ends and a hypothetical internship begins) (I want to take plenty of time in the summer and fall to prepare for the physics subject GRE), but would some updated prep materials be around that early?

Edit: It appears it starts in August 2011.

danreil

Postby danreil » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:41 pm UTC

The math is pretty easy. I thought the data interpretation questions were the hardest. Make sure you get the first couple right because they weigh more heavily on your score than the later ones. Its also annoying on the computer because you can't skip questions and come back to them, you have to answer before you see the next question.

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:30 pm UTC

Note: I have not taken the GRE, and this is just from a little research I've done as I plan to take it fairly soon as well.

You definitely want to study for the GRE. Get one of those study books (the one I've seen most recommended is the Stanford Review one) and STUDY! Most of the material is stuff you learned in high school, and you've probably forgotten it, or are at least a bit slower at it than you could be.

Also, being familiar with the format of the test is never a bad thing.

Evidently the GRE subject tests are quite a bit harder, so if you're looking at one of those, you'll want to make sure you're prepared.

Basically, prepare for this test like it really, really matters and then you'll get the best score you can get, and that's always a good thing.

Omegaton

Postby Omegaton » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:33 pm UTC

The best way to get an idea what to expect on the GRE is to take practice tests and go through some GRE test prep books. That's what I did and the test was basically as expected. I got a free GRE practice disk but I forget how... Maybe I got it from Kaplan?

I'm surprised there's only been one mention of the fact GRE is usually a computer-based exam. This is the big difference from the SAT as you have to answer each question before proceeding to the next. I would definitely practice taking a computer-based GRE once or twice if you can.

Math was easy, Verbal I kind of blew off because there was no way I was going to do well. In any case, in many science-based programs the care much more about the Math score than the Verbal score; the verbal is often quite a bit lower than math. There is also the writing portion where you have to type an essay into their primitive GRE word processor. Getting familiar with what that their word processor allows you to do with practice tests also can be good.

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:30 pm UTC

Omegaton wrote:The best way to get an idea what to expect on the GRE is to take practice tests and go through some GRE test prep books. That's what I did and the test was basically as expected. I got a free GRE practice disk but I forget how... Maybe I got it from Kaplan?

I'm surprised there's only been one mention of the fact GRE is usually a computer-based exam. This is the big difference from the SAT as you have to answer each question before proceeding to the next. I would definitely practice taking a computer-based GRE once or twice if you can.

Math was easy, Verbal I kind of blew off because there was no way I was going to do well. In any case, in many science-based programs the care much more about the Math score than the Verbal score; the verbal is often quite a bit lower than math. There is also the writing portion where you have to type an essay into their primitive GRE word processor. Getting familiar with what that their word processor allows you to do with practice tests also can be good.

Just one thing I've heard - sometimes in the more competitive environments, specifically in the math/science/engineering fields, everyone has a stellar math score, so verbal might come into play a bit more when everyone is in the top few percent for the math portion, just because they need to differentiate by something. From what I've heard, some schools think the GRE is really important, others are more concerned with other things, so of course this varies by school.

llamacheez

Postby llamacheez » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:56 pm UTC

I don't buy that a "top ten" science grad program would want to differentiate two domestic students based on their GRE Verbal score, as long as they were both above maybe 500. That would probably be close to the last thing they pay attention to, well below recommendations, research experience, grades, GRE subject test, statement or purpose, ....

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:50 pm UTC

llamacheez wrote:I don't buy that a "top ten" science grad program would want to differentiate two domestic students based on their GRE Verbal score, as long as they were both above maybe 500. That would probably be close to the last thing they pay attention to, well below recommendations, research experience, grades, GRE subject test, statement or purpose, ....

Oh yeah, you're completely right, it was more of warning to not ignore the verbal section.

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:15 pm UTC

I have taken one of those practice tests (the paper type) and scored around 1200. Is this good?
Also, I could not sign up for the paper based test, so I was wondering if anyone knew of a computer based practice test.

I never studied or prepped for the SAT at all, but I have spent too long away from school to feel confident in that. I worry 6 weeks will not be enough time to study things I have not looked at in 10 years.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:36 pm UTC

I would highly highly highly recommend reading a Kaplan or Barons study book; the GRE more than anything tests your ability to prepare for the test itself. The math is inconsequential and should be mastered in a few weeks of brushing up, at best, the vocab is just a matter of memorization or familiarization with latin/greek roots, and the essay is just being able to present yourself coherently and formally.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Windmill

Postby Windmill » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:34 pm UTC

Sounds good so far. I'm an avid reader and thoroughly enjoy writing, even though I'm an engineering major, so I don't fear the verbal or anything.

I'll definitely pick up one of those books and scan through it a little bit, just get in the right mindset.

Return to “School”