What's Your Major?

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

modularblues

Re: What's Your Major!?!?!

Postby modularblues » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:04 am UTC

KestrelLowing wrote:EDIT: or maybe even a PhD. Yikes!

Cheers! Join the Philed too Deeply club!

zwei

Postby zwei » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:36 pm UTC

seems like none of the people who've posted so far are philosophy majors...?
i'm finishing up my honors year in philosophy...

Ah! Real Raptors!

Postby Ah! Real Raptors! » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:24 am UTC

B Science with nooo idea what to major in =P probably either physics or math. But who knows, still doing some chem and biol as well at the moment. Yay for indecisiveness!

handiangel

Postby handiangel » Thu May 20, 2010 6:58 pm UTC

I'm studying pharmacology. Sort of wish the UK had some form of system to be able to minor in something. But I have taken extracurriculars in French.

Contemplating graduate entry medicine after this, or a PhD in pharmacology.

Kilogolf

Postby Kilogolf » Sun May 23, 2010 4:47 am UTC

BS in compsci.
Probably going to minor in aerospace engineering, haven't decided yet.

SiriusBeatz

Postby SiriusBeatz » Sun May 23, 2010 8:07 pm UTC

I'm studying for my BS in Physical Sciences, which, the way I'm handling my concentrations, will likely end up more like a materials science/engineering major than anything. Taking on a number of biology courses to satisfy pre-medicine requirements, though I'm honestly not feeling them so much, lately. Also considering a minor in Spanish just for the heck of it.

twotimintim

Postby twotimintim » Mon May 24, 2010 5:47 pm UTC

BSc Hons in chemistry . looking to go for a PhD later in life...maybe some crystalography

Argency

Postby Argency » Tue May 25, 2010 1:38 am UTC

Physics
Philosophy of Science
Cognitive Psychology.

The triple threat.
Gonna be a blank slate, gonna wear a white cape.

MCMXCI

Postby MCMXCI » Tue May 25, 2010 6:13 am UTC

BS in Physics and BS in Math

WaywardAngel

Postby WaywardAngel » Sun May 30, 2010 2:38 pm UTC

B.A. in Philosophy, Politics and Economics at Oxford, going to Georgia State next year to get an M.A. in Neurophilosophy (essentially philosophy + relevant bits of neuroscience and psychology) No idea what it's useful for, but consciousness is just too interesting.

Red Nemesis

Postby Red Nemesis » Mon May 31, 2010 2:13 am UTC

I'm just settling down do decide what it should be, and I've figured some things out:
  1. I value the hard sciences much more highly than I do the soft sciences.
  2. I am very good at soft sciences.

Right now I am trying to rationalize myself into an Economics, Philosophy, Cosmology (read: astrophysics) triple major. The problem is that while I can see some synergy between Economics and, for instance, Energy science, there doesn't seem to be a lot of overlap with physics.
Last edited by Red Nemesis on Mon May 31, 2010 2:59 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

cv4

Postby cv4 » Mon May 31, 2010 2:35 am UTC

Red Nemesis wrote:I'm just settling down do decide what it should be, and I've figured some things out:
  1. I value the hard sciences much more highly than I do the soft sciences.
  2. I am very good at soft sciences.

Right now I am trying to rationalize myself into an Economics, Philosophy, Cosmology (read: astrophysics) triple major. The problem is that while I can see some synergy between Economics and, for instance, Energy science, there doesn't seem to be a lot of overlap with physics that I can see.

A lot of Economics Masters students have physics undergrads. Knowledge of the maths is useful.

Red Nemesis

Postby Red Nemesis » Mon May 31, 2010 3:01 am UTC

That's really interesting. Is it just the math-intensive nature of the courses, or is there something about physics as a field that makes this happen? Because I loves me some physics, while my maths is only a well-liked friend.

gurfunklebunker

Postby gurfunklebunker » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:05 pm UTC

I'll be starting a History/Political Science double major in September.

cv4

Postby cv4 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:11 pm UTC

Red Nemesis wrote:That's really interesting. Is it just the math-intensive nature of the courses, or is there something about physics as a field that makes this happen? Because I loves me some physics, while my maths is only a well-liked friend.

In short, the math intensive nature...and physics undergrad degrees are kind of limited if you don't do some type of grad school.

ramanj

Postby ramanj » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:40 pm UTC

I'm working on a B Sc in physics, because I'm interested in the math and physics in general and also because I'm not sure what I want to do in the future...

^_^

Postby ^_^ » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:14 pm UTC

Duel degree: Science majoring in Physics, and Chemical Engineering.

B.Good

Postby B.Good » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:21 pm UTC

B.S. in physics, and then go for the PhD. eventually. Also a B.S. in mathematics. Since solely by getting a physics degree I'm already about half way there and since I will be done all of the math I need for a physics major by the end of my first semester as a freshman I might as well keep going. That and a physics degree is basically a math-light degree anyway.
Last edited by B.Good on Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:06 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.

امير

Postby امير » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:42 pm UTC

International studies, arabic MSA (dialects still to be determined) politics & diplomacy

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:09 pm UTC

Majoring in Computer Sciene, and considering a minor or dual major in Philosophy. I'm not really sure what a Philosophy major would do for me other than justify any beard I grow in the future.

Woofsie

Postby Woofsie » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:13 pm UTC

broken_escalator wrote: I'm not really sure what a Philosophy major would do for me other than justify any beard I grow in the future.

I'm sure it would be extremely interesting, if it's the kind of thing you like. You've already got lots of practical skills from your CS degree, so what other reason do you need? :)

Francia Dale

Postby Francia Dale » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:07 am UTC

I had finished my bachelors in Elementary Education. . .

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:25 pm UTC

Woofsie wrote:
broken_escalator wrote: I'm not really sure what a Philosophy major would do for me other than justify any beard I grow in the future.

I'm sure it would be extremely interesting, if it's the kind of thing you like. You've already got lots of practical skills from your CS degree, so what other reason do you need? :)

Good point! :D

Lioness

Postby Lioness » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:01 pm UTC

English. At least it will be. I'm not quite there yet.

morvita

Postby morvita » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:58 pm UTC

BSc in chemistry, currently working on a PhD in chemistry specializing in computational chemistry.
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all. - Futurama 4x08 Godfellas

slackr

Postby slackr » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:21 am UTC

Just completed my diploma in Computer Engineering Tecnology and am going back to get my Bachelors in Applied Information Systems Technologies which will only take one year :D

femtometer

Postby femtometer » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:11 pm UTC

Have: Associate's in Liberal Arts, Bachelor's in Cell and Molecular Biology

Currently working on a Bachelor's in Clinical Laboratory Science

aging.child

Postby aging.child » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:16 pm UTC

Argency wrote:Physics
Philosophy of Science
Cognitive Psychology.

The triple threat.

I want to try a triple major in Physics, Theology, and Psychology, but something in the back of my mind is telling me I'm crazy. How's it working for you?
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. --Douglas Adams

existential_squirrrel

Postby existential_squirrrel » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:29 pm UTC

Starting this fall I will be working toward a B.S. in biology with a concentration in Molecular/Cellular bio and a minor in psychology. Might end up as a double major in Bio and chem though... cant decide

May be changing my major entirely to chemistry (B.S.) with a concentration in biochemistry and will most likely add a minor in mathematics.
Last edited by existential_squirrrel on Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:00 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
courage is about knowing when to pick yourself up and whisper to yourself, "I will try again tomorrow"
http://http://stats.free-dc.org/cpidtagb.php?cpid=f0b63432195be1a8665b08c414e36545&theme=12&cols=1

Argency

Postby Argency » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:50 am UTC

aging.child wrote:I want to try a triple major in Physics, Theology, and Psychology, but something in the back of my mind is telling me I'm crazy. How's it working for you?

That does sound like a pretty spectacular combo! All three of them are really fun subjects, and if you're interested in them (or even any two of the three, really) I say go for it. The only other thing to consider is whether or not you think they offer any sort of academic overlap. Succeeding in the sciences today is all about multiskilling, but it helps if you can apply knowledge from one field to problems in another, so you often want them to overlap a bit.

Mine works out because in my philosophy major I study:
a) the epistemology and metaphysics of science which meshes really well with the physics, and...
b) cognition theory and practical epistemology, which props up the psychology really well.

I don't doubt that you could find common topics between physics, psychology and theology, and even if you don't have to study the same topic between any two of them, learning in those types of fields will really enhance your academic perspective and make you a better thinker and a better person. I say go for it!
Gonna be a blank slate, gonna wear a white cape.

BuOHbaby

Postby BuOHbaby » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:57 pm UTC

Just finished my B.S. in Chemistry! Now I'm working in research for a bit while I decide what I want to go to grad school for...masters or Ph.D and in what?

Anybody know of any good programs or schools for food science esp. in the relm of fermentation for biofuels and solvents/possibly with a side of genetics to manipulate those poor bugs we use for fermentation?

AwTin

Postby AwTin » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:39 pm UTC

I will be starting a B.S. in physics at Virginia Tech in the fall! Minor in astronomy?

Looking at theoretical/astro/particle physics in grad school. Maybe nanotechnology. I guess I'll find out!

jabb

Postby jabb » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:18 am UTC

B.S. In Geological Engineering from the Colorado School of Mines.
Starting M.S. in Geologic Sciences this fall at UC Santa Barbra.

Username4242 - Glad to see that geo is being represented!

nyeguy

Postby nyeguy » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:10 am UTC

I'm looking at majoring in Electrical Engineering with a minor in Music Technology right now.

crayfish

Postby crayfish » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:38 am UTC

I'm a junior (7 credits to senior status) getting a bachelors in microbiology, Im still debating whether to go to medical school or get a doctorate afterwards, I've yet to take my MCAT or GRE as I need to finish science credits and will be in school for another year and a half. I also am getting an associates in paramedic sciences although I don't start these classes till this upcoming fall.

Clever-Username

Postby Clever-Username » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:24 pm UTC

Working on a BSc Hons in Medical Physics with a Minor in Advanced Physics ('theoretical' physics as defined by other universities)
Will hopefully go for a PhD in a physics related field.

Velict

Postby Velict » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:09 pm UTC

BBA (Business honors major)
BSc Computer Science (software engineering concentration)

I may pick up a formal accounting or economics degree, I don't know. The business program at my school lets me study both without dealing with most of general education classes and worthless "intro to business" stuff. It really boils down to whether or not my degree is marketable to employers as a CPA-track accounting background; I think it should be, but I don't know for sure yet.

'x7'

Postby 'x7' » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:07 pm UTC

Electrical Engineering, though I've been thinking of switching to Mechanical, maybe, perhaps.
A neutron goes into a bar and asks the bartender, "How much for a beer?"
The bartender replies, "For you, no charge."

Zelda007

Postby Zelda007 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:44 am UTC

Computer Engineering

I'm starting college this year, so I'll have time to change my major if I want to. But I'm pretty sure for now that CompE is right for me.

onebeeandrevery

Postby onebeeandrevery » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:56 pm UTC

I completed two BAs in 2006: English Literature and Linguistics

Just finished a BSN in May 2010. Yes, folks, that's three bachelor's degrees. AWESOME.

I also see that I am the exception to the hard science rule here, so I'm going to make a case for its usefulness:

Nursing is, by far, the "softest" science; Florence Nightingale's own work on the subject is actually called "The Art of Nursing," yet it's inexplicably a BS at the university level. It's a blend of anatomy/physiology, chemistry, basic arithmetic, sociology, religious studies, a lot of psychology, nutrition, phys ed, communication studies, and (mostly) customer service and time management skills. There's nothing so simple as a formula for calculating maintenance fluid requirements or medication measurement conversions when you're facing telling someone they're going to die. We rely on the facts and numbers strictly as mile markers to get through the "soft" ground, and it's like putting stakes in quicksand.

I wish I had a mind for hard sciences, instead of the hardest one. :|

Return to “School”