Awesome Student Quotes

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

OCEAT

Re: Awesome Student Quotes

Postby OCEAT » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:45 pm UTC

This technically wasn't in school, but at a movie night my friends had a while ago we were joking around, laughing at a character who had very large hands. The 'You know what big hands means...' line came up, to which one girl replied 'Big socks!!'
GENERATION 21: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Say "ocean".
Look at my name.
Tee-hee.

niteice

Postby niteice » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:50 pm UTC

OCEAT wrote:This technically wasn't in school, but at a movie night my friends had a while ago we were joking around, laughing at a character who had very large hands. The 'You know what big hands means...' line came up, to which one girl replied 'Big socks!!'

Yes, my standard reply goes, and what rhymes with socks?
GENERATION 4294967292: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum, negate the generation, and convert it to a 32-bit unsigned integer. Social experiment.

Gazared

Postby Gazared » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:59 am UTC

Chicken pox!

Edit: Content added:

French III has gotten much more interesting since we started reading a mystery. What we do is read it aloud, translating to English as we go.
Here's the French: Il y a l'ascenseur. Allez! Montez!
Here's the English: There's the elevator. Go! Go up!
Here's what Madhava said: There's the elevator. Go! Mount him!

We had to stop there so people could recover from the shock/laughter. It was out of character for him.
Bingle bongle dingle dangle yikidy do yikidy da ping pong lippy tappy tootah.
- Advice from the 10th Doctor

kreebby

Postby kreebby » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:16 am UTC

In World History (for some reason I didn't take it Freshman year so I'm taking it Senior year?) my teacher wanted to spend the first two months of school on the election. She would teach out out of the book, maybe, two days a week? She kept lecturing on how informed she thought we should be on "the issues". Gay marriage came up in class one day, and she tried to avoid the topic. One student, though brave and rebellious, said this:

Teacher: Alright I think we need to move on in the lesson now-
Student: I have a question.
Teacher: Yes? *aggravated tone*
Student: Why is it that when we discuss issues that are easily cut down to facts and finances you are open minded and talk for ages about it, but when any form of ethics come in, you change the subject and tell us all to calm down? We have the right to state our opinion, and I don't think it's right that when a debate is not going your way, you should simply change the subject to avoid looking bad.
Teacher: ...That's... unacceptable.

The teacher was stunned and didn't say anything for the rest of the period.
I've had that one written down in my assignment pad for awhile now. Instead of writing down homework in it I always write down awesome things said in class, inspired by these threads. So this is word for word.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:25 am UTC

kreebby wrote:Student: Why is it that when we discuss issues that are easily cut down to facts and finances you are open minded and talk for ages about it, but when any form of ethics come in, you change the subject and tell us all to calm down? We have the right to state our opinion, and I don't think it's right that when a debate is not going your way, you should simply change the subject to avoid looking bad.

Oh wow. I suppose this student may get famous eventually ... I just don't know yet for what.
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

shnieder2

Postby shnieder2 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:38 am UTC

During American History one day we were discussing slaves. This one girl who isn't the smartest cookie as in she is a huge idiot. We were about halfway through the lecture about what the slaves daily lives consisted of.
Teacher: And as you can see in this picture, the slaves lived in very cramped...
Girl: *blurts out* Wait, were they born that way?
Needless to say everyone just looked at her, then everyone started laughing. I don't think she realized why they were laughing.

Just to add some perspective to this girl she didn't know where mexico was.... even though she lived about 2o miles from the border for 10 YEARS

Edit:Okay to stop all the discussing about that "is" proper grammar usage and as such I am striking it from the record. Sorry about that bad pun. :D

I also have another quote though. In my biology class we were talking about the importance of oxygen.
Teacher: Fire requires oxygen. Also miners used canaries to tell when the oxygen in the mine was running out because the canary would stop making noise.
Student: Wait a minute! Miners used fire-breathing canaries.
Cue laughter for about 5 minutes.
Last edited by shnieder2 on Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:49 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:25 pm UTC

shnieder2 wrote:This one girl who isn't the smartest cookie as in she is a huge idiot.

Can she compose sentences with verbs in them though?
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:18 pm UTC

Chemistry lesson. We all get our test scores back and most of us get about the same, then my friend gets 10% more than anyone.
We promptly ask him how he studies, his reply;
"I simply sit on the book and absorb it through osmosis".
*cue cringing from bad joke*
I Am Raven wrote:Math is like a penis: it can be very satisfactory, but also a pain in the ass.
Red vs Blue wrote:Wash: That was the worst throw ever. Of all time.
Caboose: Not my fault. Someone put a wall in my way.

Yambert

Postby Yambert » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:36 am UTC

(algebra 2)

Teacher: well half the class is gone today... does anyone know any math games?
Student: Wheel of functions?

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:35 pm UTC

Yambert wrote:Student: Wheel of functions?

That sounds like a potentially fun idea.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:47 pm UTC

Alpha Omicron wrote:
shnieder2 wrote:This one girl who isn't the smartest cookie as in she is a huge idiot.

'Is' is a verb.

On topic!
Teacher's talking about how she was away for a day or two:
Her: "We don't get paid for the days we don't come in"
Student: "We don't even get paid for the days we DO come in!"
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:13 am UTC

You get paid in Knowledge.
Something yooooooo-o-ou Whippersnappers ought to be grateful for!
Why in my day.... which was a couple months ago... we learned our facts uphill both ways, in the snow! And we slept on rocks! And we always said "Please" and "Thank you". And Tuppence could buy you 4 rounds and a nice square meal at any pub you'd care to name!
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

PurpleMint

Postby PurpleMint » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:55 am UTC

Whelan wrote:
Alpha Omicron wrote:

'Is' is a verb.

It still isn't grammatically correct, however.

My social studies teacher, ranting about the dress code:

"What would you say if I showed up in a miniskirt one day?"

student: "I'd vomit"

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:25 pm UTC

Why is it even legal that public schools have dress codes?

Marz

Postby Marz » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:48 pm UTC

During a Philosophy debate on the objectification of women:

Student M: "If a girl is fine with her boyfriend calling her his 'bitch', he's not objectifying her."
Student F: "Yeah, but how many girls are likely to be?"
Student M: "You'd be surprised; in the bedroom..."
Teacher: "I'm sure you have extensive knowledge in this area."
Student M: "Not as extensive as I'd like..."

Wolf

Postby Wolf » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:21 pm UTC

Monika wrote:Why is it even legal that public schools have dress codes?

This is a really good question I wish I knew the answer to.

Although the whole thing's come up a couple of times back when I was in Jr. High/High school, and the teachers basically said because we were minors and on a school campus we basically didn't have as many rights as we did off campus. Which makes no sense to me, as it's a public school (so they can't claim the private organization's right to select their members and thus discipline people who don't fit what they want) and last time I checked we were protected everywhere else.

tl;dr: I wish I knew.
There's a method to my madness. Somewhere. Don't worry, I'll find it!

I'm learning game design! Watch my progress here: http://www.humming-rain.com

My friend wrote:You played fast and loose with punctuation and suffered the consequences.

Sruixan

Postby Sruixan » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:29 pm UTC

(Physics, on the topic of "explosions", Sir had just used the example of the space shuttle propelling itself by chucking particles out the back)
Connor: So, wait, if you were stranded in space could you just chuck muffins out the back of your space shuttle and you'd move?
Sir: Pretty much, yes. But you wouldn't move very far, (insert explanation here)
Max: Easy. Just chuck Morgan (overweight, resident blond) out the back then.
Oliver: Can you even "chuck" Morgan?
Morgan: Hey!
Max: There are muffins out there...
Morgan: Oh. Alright then...
Oliver: Alpha Centuri, here we come!
Sir: Ahem...
Morgan: MUFFINS!

Must dig out the sheet from the lecture we had on "Justice Day" - me and Rob came up with some absolute gold then...
This is, er, no offense but you are a robot, aren't you?
That's just, um, beautiful, beautiful beautiful... just beautiful.
One hot summer's night Lorraine said: "It's time for you to see the lighthouse"
Dr. Ivanovich, was it really necessary?

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:00 pm UTC

Wolf wrote:
Monika wrote:Why is it even legal that public schools have dress codes?

This is a really good question I wish I knew the answer to.

Although the whole thing's come up a couple of times back when I was in Jr. High/High school, and the teachers basically said because we were minors and on a school campus we basically didn't have as many rights as we did off campus. Which makes no sense to me, as it's a public school (so they can't claim the private organization's right to select their members and thus discipline people who don't fit what they want) and last time I checked we were protected everywhere else.

tl;dr: I wish I knew.

Luckily German public schools don't have dress codes. If it's legal to wear on the street, it's legal to wear at school.

Generally the US schools seem to be more, uh, "ruly". In every German school I have been to (5) the school rules covered one side of one piece of DIN A4 paper (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_size ... a "normal"-sized piece of paper). Sure, small and narrow print, but this included already stuff like the times for the periods and the breaks. In my US high school we were handed a 32-page booklet of school rules! WTF?! This included rules like "A student has to pick up a paper and throw it into the trash if told by a teacher." And the poor teachers were required to wear ties. My very cool calculus teacher always wore Star Trek ties :) .

Impulse97

Postby Impulse97 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:12 am UTC

i'm learning german and wish i could go there. i hear the chicks are hot, the food is great and the rivers are made of beer! (i hope)
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Dude, everyone likes girls. Have you seen girls? Girls are hot!

The preceding sentence was made with good faith and good humor...

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:14 pm UTC

Impulse97 wrote:i'm learning german and wish i could go there. i hear the chicks are hot, the food is great and the rivers are made of beer! (i hope)

The food is great, but of course whether one likes a certain type of food also depends on what one is used to.

Why don't you come over here for a half or full year in a high school exchange program, or for two to four weeks in a vacation program? I went with EF http://www.ef.com/ to the US for a year when I was your age.

Draaglom

Postby Draaglom » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:01 am UTC

In philosophy: (paraphrased)

The teacher: So there was this 19th century German guy with a beard, who had some revolutionary ideas about society. Who was he?
(silence)
A few people *finally* make a guess:
person one: ....marx...
person two: er.. lenin?
(A few others mumble Marx)/ at the same time, person three: Santa Claus...?
Person one: er, I meant santa claus.

I shit you not.

Person Three was serious, if uncertain, and Person One actually changed her mind on hearing what apparently was a better answer.

It has to be the most surreal experience I have ever encountered, ever. I laughed for a full forty minutes.

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:02 am UTC

Not so much a quote, but a happening. Now, before you call me an immature jerk, I was a lot younger, more immature and had just drunk V (which has the effect of making my mind excessively dirty);
We were given a sheet a couple of years ago at high school listing all of our free periods. It was red paper.
Needless to say the next hour of teachers rambling about not leaving the school during free periods unless they're at the end of the day was more concentrated on stifled giggling.
I Am Raven wrote:Math is like a penis: it can be very satisfactory, but also a pain in the ass.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:29 pm UTC

ACU-LP wrote:Not so much a quote, but a happening. Now, before you call me an immature jerk, I was a lot younger, more immature and had just drunk V (which has the effect of making my mind excessively dirty);
We were given a sheet a couple of years ago at high school listing all of our free periods. It was red paper.
Needless to say the next hour of teachers rambling about not leaving the school during free periods unless they're at the end of the day was more concentrated on stifled giggling.

a) What's V?
b) What's so funny?

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:43 pm UTC

V is an energy drink.
Then, we thought that our 'free period' schedule being on red paper was funny due to well....you know.
Though now its funny to look back and see how stupid and immature we were as kids. (Not that I'm no longer a kid....but more mature). Though, I'm not sure why I even mentioned it now.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:14 pm UTC

ACU-LP wrote:Then, we thought that our 'free period' schedule being on red paper was funny due to well....you know.

No, I don't.

Oh wait ... periods ... like, with blood ...

Why did they have you write down your free periods anyway, shouldn't they, like, already have your schedule?!

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:18 pm UTC

You'd thin so wouldn't you, but it was mainly just done in an attempt to reduce attempts by students to miss class because 'they thought they had a free period'.
There wasn't too much logic behind a lot of what happened there.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:27 pm UTC

ACU-LP wrote:You'd thin so wouldn't you, but it was mainly just done in an attempt to reduce attempts by students to miss class because 'they thought they had a free period'.

I think I have rarely heard such a lame excuse for skipping.

But then, any excuse will do. In the last German high school I went to (I changed schools quite often) there was a firm rumour that it is okay to go away if the teacher has not shown up within 5-10 minutes after the class (period <g>) should have begun. Except there wasn't such a rule, of course. There was a loose oral rule that stated that if the teacher hasn't shown up within that time one or more of the students should go to the teachers' room and ask what's up. Anyway, everytime a teacher didn't show up when the bell rang (or in that school it was actually three gongs like in an old cinema), students started to discuss their plans to go away, which was then executed after 10 minutes. One time they did this with our strict socialogy teacher, who was of course not ill, just late because of discussing something or other. The students who decided to go away evidently "forced" all the others to leave with them, so none were left when he arrived. They all got into trouble. Luckily I wasn't in school that day because of some math competition.

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:44 am UTC

Monika wrote:
ACU-LP wrote:You'd thin so wouldn't you, but it was mainly just done in an attempt to reduce attempts by students to miss class because 'they thought they had a free period'.

But then, any excuse will do. In the last German high school I went to (I changed schools quite often) there was a firm rumour that it is okay to go away if the teacher has not shown up within 5-10 minutes after the class (period <g>) should have begun. Except there wasn't such a rule, of course. There was a loose oral rule that stated that if the teacher hasn't shown up within that time one or more of the students should go to the teachers' room and ask what's up. Anyway, everytime a teacher didn't show up when the bell rang (or in that school it was actually three gongs like in an old cinema), students started to discuss their plans to go away, which was then executed after 10 minutes. One time they did this with our strict socialogy teacher, who was of course not ill, just late because of discussing something or other. The students who decided to go away evidently "forced" all the others to leave with them, so none were left when he arrived. They all got into trouble. Luckily I wasn't in school that day because of some math competition.
Heh, in my school, it was a myth that you were required to go to the teachers office to ask the whereabouts of the teacher; you didn't actually have to....which was bad to say the least. This generally ended up with students either picking the lock into the room and mucking about in there whilst they waited for the possible arrival of the teacher (this often involved the throwing of pens, erasers and other such projectiles at the fans) or just wandering around the school avoiding teachers or getting into an empty computer room.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:22 pm UTC

Uh, they lock normal rooms, but leave the computer rooms open?

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:00 pm UTC

Most of the time, there was either a free computer room with the door left open, one of the computer rooms was in the school library and didn't have a lockable door, or they picked the lock to the rooms that had them, or the door just plain didn't lock properly/at all.

DerVorleser

Postby DerVorleser » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:17 pm UTC

Monika wrote:

Did you by any chance go to JFKS at that time? This is the exact same procedure that is used in my highschool up to 10th grade. The three gongs, students pushing others to "skip" class with them after 10 mins... It could be though that this is the same for many/all schools in Germany...
Image <3

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:22 pm UTC

ACU-LP wrote:Most of the time, there was either a free computer room with the door left open, one of the computer rooms was in the school library and didn't have a lockable door, or they picked the lock to the rooms that had them, or the door just plain didn't lock properly/at all.

We put tape on the lock.

Hit3k

Postby Hit3k » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:26 pm UTC

ACU-LP wrote:
Monika wrote:

Heh, in my school, it was a myth that you were required to go to the teachers office to ask the whereabouts of the teacher; you didn't actually have to....which was bad to say the least. This generally ended up with students either picking the lock into the room and mucking about in there whilst they waited for the possible arrival of the teacher (this often involved the throwing of pens, erasers and other such projectiles at the fans) or just wandering around the school avoiding teachers or getting into an empty computer room.

During year 12 my physics teacher showed up maybe not even 50% of the time and a few years ago we got these new doors and locks that are always locked on the outside but obviously openable from the inside in case some nutcase came onto the school grounds (incidentally we did have a mentally disturbed man squating in one of the old toilet blocks for a few weeks last year). But all the time during the year, teachers had the doors open and if they did close them they kept it so that the door just looked closed when in fact it wasnt. Security/Teaching ruled at my school.... Only it didn't.
Sungura wrote:My mom made me watch a star wars. Two of them , actually. The Death Star one and the one where the dude ends up in the swamp with the weird guy who talks funny.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:47 pm UTC

DerVorleser wrote:
Monika wrote:

Did you by any chance go to JFKS at that time? This is the exact same procedure that is used in my highschool up to 10th grade. The three gongs, students pushing others to "skip" class with them after 10 mins... It could be though that this is the same for many/all schools in Germany...

No, I went du Otto-Hahn-Gymnasium in small place close to Cologne and Düsseldorf. The other four German schools I attended were not like that. Those other schools were all in Saxony. Where is JKFS?

DerVorleser

Postby DerVorleser » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:32 pm UTC

Monika wrote:No, I went du Otto-Hahn-Gymnasium in small place close to Cologne and Düsseldorf. The other four German schools I attended were not like that. Those other schools were all in Saxony. Where is JKFS?

It's in Berlin, Zehlendorf. It's the place American GI's sent their children during the Cold War/occupation of Germany. I get to take most of my classes in English and chose between the Abitur and the Highschool Diploma. Interestly enough, the whole thing is built like a massive bombshelter with 1.5-2m thick reinforced concrete, 20cm solid steel Blastdoors between sections and strong glass (not sure if it's bullet proof). This however creates the problem of it being one enormus Faraday Cage. :-/
Back on topic:
My English class, last period:
Teacher: makes a humerous allusion to his Irish heratige involving a bar fight
Student A: We really need a wrestling name for [Teacher]!
Student B: Hmm, whats Irish?
Student C: Irish Cream!!!
A: He shall now be known as Whipped Cream... the Irish wrestler!
B: With a shamrock hat!!
A: And when be beats someone, he gets some whipped cream, slamms it in his foes face and shouts: you've been whipped, take it!

Needless to say, that class is awesome... especially b/c the teacher comes up with even more ridiculous stuff... He ate a moth that had just been smuthered on a desk with a bible...
Last edited by DerVorleser on Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:18 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Image <3

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:21 pm UTC

Did you read and like the book "Der Vorleser"? We read it in 13th grade.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:30 am UTC

DerVorleser wrote:
Monika wrote:No, I went du Otto-Hahn-Gymnasium in small place close to Cologne and Düsseldorf. The other four German schools I attended were not like that. Those other schools were all in Saxony. Where is JKFS?

It's in Berlin, Zehlendorf. It's the place American GI's sent their children during the Cold War/occupation of Germany. I get to take most of my classes in English and chose between the Abitur and the Highschool Diploma. Interestly enough, the whole thing is built like a massive bombshelter with 1.5-2m thick reinforced concrete, 20cm solid steel Blastdoors between sections and strong glass (not sure if it's bullet proof). This however creates the problem of it being one enormus Faraday Cage. :-/
Back on topic:
A: And when be beats someone, he gets some whipped cream, slamms it in his foes face and shouts: you've been whipped, take it!

Needless to say, that class is awesome... especially b/c the teacher comes up with even more ridiculous stuff... He ate a moth that had just been smuthered on a dest with a bible...

I don't think you whip Irish cream.

Lenary

Postby Lenary » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:02 am UTC

Maseiken wrote:
DerVorleser wrote:

Spoiler:
Back on topic:

Needless to say, that class is awesome... especially b/c the teacher comes up with even more ridiculous stuff... He ate a moth that had just been smuthered on a dest with a bible...

I don't think you whip Irish cream.

i don't think that matters much.
also, spoilered for shortness
My Tumblog

[imath]you = me (awesome + clothes)[/imath]
solve for awesome if you're a hot girl
Spoiler:
[imath]awesome = \frac{you}{me} - clothes[/imath]

Silvyr

Postby Silvyr » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:24 am UTC

We were sitting in the chemistry lab after school when my [male] physics teacher walked in.

Andrew: Hey there, Sunshine.
Me: *face/palm*
Teacher: Uhm. *looks from him to me and back to him* I'm... married... *holds up left hand to show wedding band*
Asmodieus wrote:You're a Cullen, Silvyr.

free-zombie

Postby free-zombie » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:28 pm UTC

[in a physics class, talking about centripetal force]
Dominik: When I was a kid, I was in the roundabout, and I felt how I was being pulled to the outside *smug-face*

[in another physics class, about 10 minutes after someone mentioned connecting yourself to an electric socket]
Dominik: I was unconcious once *smug-face*

Return to “School”