did anyone else drop out of high school?

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

rob insurgent

did anyone else drop out of high school?

Postby rob insurgent » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:01 pm UTC

in junior year i unzipped my backpack, held it by the bottom, slung the contents across the hall, walked out the door, and never looked back.

then i went to a local community college and got my diploma in two months. best decision i ever made.

now i'm going to film school after this summer.

Benny the Bear

Re: did anyone else drop out of high school?

Postby Benny the Bear » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:46 pm UTC

Could you perhaps give us a backstory?

I imagine the merits of dropping out differ with each story.

rob insurgent

Postby rob insurgent » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:52 pm UTC

it was a shitty school that was disgustingly preoccupied with football and social programming and hiring terrible teachers, and i didn't feel the need to put up with two more years of it to get a piece of paper that i could get elsewhere in a couple months.

skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist

Postby skeptical scientist » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:00 pm UTC

I didn't, but then I went to an excellent high school. I can certainly see doing it if your school was that bad, but it's fortunate that you went to a community college instead instead of bagging your education entirely, which I imagine is what some do in similar situations.
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson

Quakken

Postby Quakken » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:31 am UTC

I would probably say "took an alternative to high school" than saying flat out "dropped out of high school". No I have not dropped out of high school and I probably won't (I'm still in it to win it). I also want to go to film school after I graduate, I think. I don't think I would be able to stand going to college, doing a major that i don't actually like... I love film, the best experience of my school career so far has been the intro film class I took first semester of this year.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:03 am UTC

Not me, but a lot of my friends went to "Middle College" in which they take High School classes in the Community College up the hill from our High School. It's for kids who get tired of the high school "Experience" and want to move onto a community college right away. The only thing is that I was stuck at the high school sort of alone :cry:

Lycur

Postby Lycur » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:40 am UTC

I stuck it out, but if I had to go back to the start of high school and choose again I'd skip the thing so fast it would make your head spin*.

*I'd subsequently attatch a magnet to it and use it as a generator.

The Ethos

Postby The Ethos » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:41 am UTC

I failed out of one school at the end of Soph. year...got my shit together that summer, and changed High Schools for Jr year. Seeing as I turned out fine, I'd say it was all in my head? Or maybe just being the new guy and having art and science courses was better than where I'd been.

So while I didn't drop out, I think I had a more unconventional path then some, and can definitely agree with some of the reasons why you did it.
Thanks, and have a Scientastic day! - Dr. Venture

DreadArchon

Postby DreadArchon » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:56 pm UTC

rob insurgent wrote:it was a shitty school that was disgustingly preoccupied with football and social programming and hiring terrible teachers, and i didn't feel the need to put up with two more years of it to get a piece of paper that i could get elsewhere in a couple months.

It's a bit sad how often this is the best way to get an education. I've known quite a few people who did it, although I was fortunate enough to go to a good, academically competitive high school.

I blame the "No Child Left Behind" type of think (there were people like this before the official program). Call me cold, but I don't see the point of canceling all gym classes just because a single 300 pound 15-year-old can't run the mile in five minutes. (No, I'm not aware of that happening, it's an analogy.)

diotimajsh

Postby diotimajsh » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:50 pm UTC

Aleril wrote:Not me, but a lot of my friends went to "Middle College" in which they take High School classes in the Community College up the hill from our High School. It's for kids who get tired of the high school "Experience" and want to move onto a community college right away.

I did that the last two years of high school, although it was called something different where I live. It was really nice: I had a lot more educational opportunities and better teachers/classes. Plus I got an AA degree at the same time as a high school degree, for what that's worth o.0
Osha wrote:Foolish Patriarchy! Your feeble attempts at social pressure have no effect on my invincible awesomeness! Bwahahahaa

Blog type thing

Irrational

Postby Irrational » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:58 pm UTC

I did almost exactly the same thing as rob insurgent... except I was a senior when I quit, and I didn't sling my books anywhere.

DHF

Postby DHF » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:38 am UTC

Well I'm currently a sophomore at high school. At least that's what I would be. I got kicked out of school a month back and still have been unable to find a school that would take me. Lacking parental support (both are thousands of miles away and don't really care), I've almost been forced to drop out of school. The school program that they give to students that have been expelled requires transportation. This whole situation really sucks as I was already behind in credits due to switching schools about 9 or so times within my HS days. I'm roughly five credits behind and I always tend to get good grades. Hell, last semester I got straight A's.

I suppose I may just go get my GED real quick and see what I can do about getting a HSD from community college. From what I understand, that's entirely possible, right?

DreadArchon

Postby DreadArchon » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:03 pm UTC

DHF wrote:I suppose I may just go get my GED real quick and see what I can do about getting a HSD from community college. From what I understand, that's entirely possible, right?

HSD = High School Diploma? Assuming it is: I don't know.

The people I know who dropped out just went straight to college after getting their GED's. Can you just do that?

skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist

Postby skeptical scientist » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:59 pm UTC

I'm not sure what employers think of a GED vs. a HSD, but I imagine no good employers value either particularly highly. Your best bet is to get a college degree, and then they won't care whether or not you had a high school diploma.
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson

DHF

Postby DHF » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:28 pm UTC

Hah, yeah, I was thinking that after I posted. My family is just extremely adamant on making me get a High School Diploma. I told them I wanted to get a GED and they told me I was a failure, and that I should just do high school for five years instead, and start the rest of my life late. -_-;

Thanks for the advice! I guess I'll try getting this all sorted out now.

DreadArchon

Postby DreadArchon » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:54 pm UTC

DHF wrote:Hah, yeah, I was thinking that after I posted. My family is just extremely adamant on making me get a High School Diploma. I told them I wanted to get a GED and they told me I was a failure, and that I should just do high school for five years instead, and start the rest of my life late.

Well, you could compromise. Get a Bachelor's first, then see if they still care at that point. If they do, maybe you can get your HSD then. :P

goblin_subway
Location: Kansas City, Kansas, USoA, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby goblin_subway » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:29 am UTC

I dropped out of HS and it was... an interesting decision (would never take it back). I went on to KU for a while, many many jobs, and then the ARMY. That bit was brief due to a blown knee, and now I am a masterish (we don't have unions) cabinetmaker. So you know, geometry does come up later :).
I am Jack's overused quote.
Oh, almost forgot. Fuck MENSA.

Unicyclist

Postby Unicyclist » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:01 pm UTC

skeptical scientist wrote:I'm not sure what employers think of a GED vs. a HSD, but I imagine no good employers value either particularly highly. Your best bet is to get a college degree, and then they won't care whether or not you had a high school diploma.

I'm curious about this as well, I'll be able to drive within the next couple weeks and I don't plan on going back to high school after this year(sophomore). I'm looking into what I can do at a community college, and just keep progressing along after I get the said GED.

Sick of this daily shit, I spend have the day learning how to suck at life.

Wikipedia:
General Educational Development (or GED) tests are a battery of five tests which, when passed, certifies that the taker has American or Canadian high school-level academic skills.

A high school diploma is a diploma awarded for the completion of high school. In the United States and Canada, it is considered the minimum education required for government jobs and higher education. An equivalent is the GED.

Getting a HSD just shows you put up with all the extra, apparently.
don't plow that beautiful field!

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:09 am UTC

It's a necessary evil for me. 1 1/4 years left to go, woohoo!*

I dunno, it's not the classes that bother me, it's the students. I like my courses and, for the most part, my teachers, but everyone else is just so... preoccupied with stupid things, like getting drunk, or watching the OC.

* the pseudo-word "woohoo", in this context, does not express genuine happiness. It is at best a form of bitter sarcasm.

goblin_subway
Location: Kansas City, Kansas, USoA, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby goblin_subway » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:20 am UTC

Last time I checked (2004ish) only 50% of HS graduates in the US could pass the GED.
I am Jack's overused quote.
Oh, almost forgot. Fuck MENSA.

antonfire

Postby antonfire » Mon May 05, 2008 3:25 pm UTC

Kinda necro, I suppose, but I also dropped out of high school after applying to university a year early. It was very nice for me because I never had to go through the stress of college apps. I only wrote one application.

Now I just have to not drop out of university, or else I'll end up with no BA and no HSD.
Jerry Bona wrote:The Axiom of Choice is obviously true; the Well Ordering Principle is obviously false; and who can tell about Zorn's Lemma?

Grady

Postby Grady » Mon May 05, 2008 3:38 pm UTC

I suppose you could say I "dropped out". I stopped at year 11 due to mental health related reasons and then after recovering joined the work force. I'm now steadily regaining confidence.

I wouldn't dare look back.
Gamercard may be slightly inaccurate due to the fact that my xbox is not always connected to the internet.

Mabus_Zero

Postby Mabus_Zero » Tue May 06, 2008 12:27 pm UTC

Early grad. Then I had to wait until the graduation-ceremony being held that year to receive my confirmation of making myself equivalent to the lowest desired denominator.

Specialization is for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein

glisp42

Postby glisp42 » Tue May 06, 2008 2:12 pm UTC

I didn't but I went to an alternative school instead. Best decision I made and I learned more in a semester there than I did from 2 years of highschool. Out of all my friends, I was the only one to graduate, the rest dropped out. I didn't really develop a love of learning until I started college this spring, always before I was doing it for other people. Now I'm doing it for myself and that makes a huge difference.

The Sleeping Tyrant

Postby The Sleeping Tyrant » Wed May 07, 2008 12:11 am UTC

Haha, my friend and I graduated from HS last year. We both decided to do an extra year.
So, almost 2/3 of the way through this year, he drops out. He's both a drop out and grad, and I just find that hilarious.
I'm considering dropping out too, because I am bored and this has really been a waste of a year.

MrLamper

Postby MrLamper » Wed May 07, 2008 10:17 am UTC

I left High School just as I was meant to start my final year. I was always the kid who never had a real group to hang out with, and the only people I considered to be friends had other people more interesting to talk to. No wonder I had music blasting through my headphones in my ears ever since primary 6.

Anyway, I left; and on my last day didn't even get a real goodbye from those people I thought WERE my friends. The teachers had a 'Good riddance' look on their face, and I had a "Fuck you too!" Expression on mine. I've been at college for the past year having the time of my life, and rarely listen to music in class!

Best decision of my life. Another year of college coming up, and then off to University for me!

tday93
Location: Surf City, CA no, seriously, we own the trademark (suck it Santa Cruz)

Postby tday93 » Thu May 22, 2008 4:24 am UTC

Not exactly on topic but:

I walked into a 7th grade parent teacher conference with my english teacher and the first thing he says to my mother is "you know, he doesn't HAVE to go high school" it was hilarious, he was a wonderful teacher to boot.
"Given the choice between accomplishing something and just lying around, I'd rather lie around. No contest." -Eric Clapton

Roland Lockheart

Postby Roland Lockheart » Fri May 23, 2008 4:13 am UTC

My high school had a program that allowed the students in the top 10% at of all the high schools in the city to come to a central location for highly advanced academics and such. Without that program I defiantly would have done what you did.
This is one thing up with which I shall not put!
-Winston Churchill

Sunsnail

Postby Sunsnail » Fri May 23, 2008 6:17 am UTC

Yesterday was my last day of HS classes. I've wanted to drop out of a couple of years now, but the pressure from family and friends was way too intense.

elfcharm

Postby elfcharm » Fri May 23, 2008 6:33 am UTC

I'm er...not sure if I dropped out of high school.

Don't get me wrong, I have a diploma. Two of them, if you count a GED. But I didn't like high school much, and left near the end of my sophomore year. After that my dad was cool enough to allow me to homeschool myself. That's right, my dad let a 15 year old boy stay home all day and teach himself. Isn't he cool? I mean just amazing? I mean, he let me teach MYSELF! He's the best.

The plan was originally for me to finish high school at home and get a GED, but when I joined the Navy to be a linguist, they weren't accepting GED applicants...so my dad and I sat home one night and designed a diploma for me. Therefore, though I was sick of high school and left, I have a high school diploma.

When I got out of the military, I went to a school here at home for a year, but they insisted that my homeschooling diploma was not legitimate. To highlight the idiocy of this, they would accept some of my eighty or so college credits I received from the navy, 40-50 of which were from the Defense Language Institute, but insisted that I did not prove that I could have graduated high school. What?

Anyways, because I walked out of a stupid school, I had to graduate AND take the GED.

The GED was the easiest test I've ever seen someone fail. This includes the ASVAB, on which you only need to get a 32 out of a 99 to pass. The GED reminds you how to do algebra before they give you problems like 7+x=13. The GED tells you every principle of science they later ask about. I swear, if you ever want to make yourself feel much, much smarter than other people take the GED, and consider that some people who are trying actually fail it.

Archon

Postby Archon » Fri May 23, 2008 3:20 pm UTC

I came as close as one can come to doing so. My parents and I had serious problems, and they freaked out about my grades. Long story short, I aimed for the bottom, and nearly hit it. I repeated my senior year, and graduated ~930/960 in my class with a 1.2 gpa. Got a 34 on the ACT and got a regent's scholarship to my college of choice :-D. I looked my parents in the face, told them simply that they were wrong, then went to college.

blah!

Postby blah! » Sun May 25, 2008 6:14 am UTC

I didn't drop out mostly because I've just become indifferent to the BS that happens at my school but all of my friends that I made in grade nine have either dropped out, gone to an alternative school or both. Grade nine kinda sucked cuz halfway through everyone I liked left.

theVectorLaplacian

Postby theVectorLaplacian » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:53 am UTC

Yes.
I was accepted to a fairly good computer science school a year early, and since the minimum age for dropping out in Pennsylvania is 17, I dropped.

Masuri

Postby Masuri » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:21 am UTC

I also dropped out. I had to switch high schools in the middle of my senior year. Not only did I have to switch schools, but also I switched districts, and so some of my credits did not transfer and they would not compromise.

I was informed that I would not be allowed to graduate because I was 2 gym credits short. 2. Gym. Credits. There was no summer school, no way to make it up, I would have had to take an extra semester in the fall. I was already accepted to a college and everything, so needless to say, staying an extra semester of high school was not going to happen.

I had every intention of finishing out the year anyway. However, all that changed after a last conversation with my guidance counselor. They wouldn't let me walk with my class in the graduation ceremony, but they allowed the football players who would be making up basic math in summer school to do so. That was the end of that. I left that day, got my GED and went to college in the fall.

I'm 31 and have never been asked about my high school standings for a job. The college was all anyone's ever cared about.

mesamunefire

Postby mesamunefire » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:56 pm UTC

I didn't but I did discover one crucial fact....
College is easier than high school.
It has a learning curve but it is...ultimately...easier.
no drama, no fights braking out in the middle of class, no hormonal teens....

its a good environment.

Anyways, lets put this another way....
lets put 2000 people from around a city and force them to learn by:
1. security guards
2. Chain fences
3. Grades that follow your performance
nvm that these are also teens who are in various stages of there lives.
I don't know if 2000 adults could stand this situation easily.

yes this is the California environment of high schools. And the worst part....
in the central valley, if you have a degree...your overqualified for about 80% of the job market out here.
My fiance just found this out and has been looking for a job for about.....1 year now.

and by degree im talking about a bachelors

exis

Postby exis » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:56 am UTC

I dropped out of highschool a couple years before finishing. I hated my school (very sports-oriented single-sex boys school, full of macho homophobes), and had difficulty making friends. The nail in the coffin was going through a bout of depression, then discovering Counter Strike. As ridiculous as it sounds, CS possibly saved my life. I was having some very seriously terrifying thoughts during those couple of years. I figured why should I go to school every day and be miserable, when instead I could go to an internet cafe and play CS. So I did, a lot. I was reasonably smart but not enough to make up for the fact that I was turning up to perhaps a third of my classes. Eventually I realised it was pointless, and left, at 16.

A few years of screwing around with useless 'cosc' or 'GD' courses and dead-end jobs, I'm now 22 and in my second year of a Comp Science Degree at the local university - in New Zealand almost any university will accept you as an 'adult' student once you turn 21, regardless of your academic history. I have no regrets. Like I said, I was miserable at highschool, really really miserable. And having a few years of working shitty jobs made me take university a lot more seriously than I probably would have otherwise.

Return to “School”