Your GPA in High School

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Range:

5.0 +
5%
4.0 - 4.99
39%
3.0 - 3.99
41%
2.0 - 2.99
10%
1.0 - 1.99
3%
0.0 - 0.99
1%

Total votes: 273

Phi
Has Proportional Boobs (As rumor has it)

Re: Your GPA in High School

Postby Phi » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:14 am UTC

marshlight wrote:...there were actually six valedictorians with the same score and rank.

Yeah, this is actually the same with my school - there are people that get the max GPA possible, so the valedictorians don't actually give speeches. They're just the ones that get to read the names off. The speeches are kids who actually write their speeches in their own time and submit them to our speech and debate teacher.

blind visionary

Postby blind visionary » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:23 am UTC

I'm currently sitting on a 3.9 weighted, though adding in this year it's probably around a 4.1. Really hopping I get into Carnegie Mellon

Svalbard

Postby Svalbard » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:00 am UTC

I ended up with somewhere around a 3.3. I'm in the minority in that I found high school to be pretty hard in terms of the work load. I guess it's because I had assignments every night in the same classes, whereas now I usually have about a week to manage my time and get things done. I dunno.
ne porvivajo nur mortigi tempo

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:38 am UTC

Must be an American thing... I had a 4.0, but that's because it's out of 4.0.

Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind

Postby Will » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:25 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Must be an American thing... I had a 4.0, but that's because it's out of 4.0.

And here I thought it must be a Canadian thing, because all the schools here go on a 4 point scale (although, as mentioned, it is possible to get above a 4.0 because of honors and AP classes at certain schools)
Meaux_Pas: Is it fucking Taint Sunday or something?
liza: Screw y'all, I'm going to the moon

MotorToad
Really Repeatedly Redundantly Redundant

Postby MotorToad » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:35 am UTC

Meteorswarm wrote:Also, I can tell that my school's computer divides, then adds: my gpa has been 3.999998, which is not possible because there is no whole grade worth that tiny sliver. They need to add THEN divide, or round properly.
Like a school would know that? Sheesh! :)
What did you bring the book I didn't want read out of up for?
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)

Jach

Postby Jach » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:25 am UTC

...Wait, 5.0+? I've heard of above 4.0, but still... Here it's just out of 4.0. I believe I have somewhere around a 3.93 at the moment; a few Bs and a C- in English because of laziness screwed me over a bit. XD
I love reading quotes.

Kabann

Postby Kabann » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:40 am UTC

My HS days were so long ago... we didn't have any of those newfangled G's Per A that you kids have. I think when I got out, my grade was "You're smarter than the drooling masses, but you were too lazy to show yourself as a genius, and you caused us so much grief that we're only too happy to let you leave. Please go to college. Don't come here any more, for the love of god."

I think that's a B+ or an A- or something.
My goal in life is to have money, power, fame, wisdom, and love.
So far, I've got a sense of humor.
It's a good start.

SilentSigil

Postby SilentSigil » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:50 pm UTC

deleted
Last edited by SilentSigil on Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
If I say that this is left purposely blank, then the statement contradicts the reality, which is that the sig space was not left blank, but had the words 'This space left purposely blank' in it.

Fossa

Postby Fossa » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:58 am UTC

3.83, basically unweighted. We don't do this weighted nonsense where I'm from. A GPA was out of 4.0 unless you got an A+ in an AP level class in which case it was counted as 4.25 or something. To get an A+ you didn't need a % right, you needed to seriously impress the teacher. I think I got two of the only three A+s in my graduating class. Granted my class rank was at the 5% level, but then I did fun things like taking two AP sciences simultaneously and neglecting homework.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:43 am UTC

My high school wasn't weighted, I finished with a 3.9 unweighted (3 Bs, the rest As, took all possible honors and AP classes). I don't know my exact standing, but it was in the top 4%.

Still wasn't enough to get me into Berkeley though (although the fact that I forgot to include my NHS membership in my application probably didn't help).

Blades

Postby Blades » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:17 pm UTC

3.9 unweighted, 4.8 weighted so far...

I'm hoping to get into Northwestern.

RedWolf

Postby RedWolf » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:29 am UTC

My school doesn't have weighted grading, which is dumb, but my GPA for this year is 3.9, cumulative is 3.7.

EDIT: For those interested, I had all (7) A's (one being an A-), 3 honors courses, and 2 AP courses. Anybody that knows how to calulate weighted grading can figure out what my GPA should be ;-)

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:17 am UTC

my excuse for a horrible GPA is that everyone in my family gets 97th or more percentile on the SATs.

i figure that MIGHT get me somewhere. Maybe.

but worse case scenario i do 2 years at a JC and then transfer into UC Berkeley.
uhhhh fuck.

silverwmoon

Postby silverwmoon » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:42 pm UTC

We didn't do a GPA in HS, though my average coming out was 89% for my final year (a strong A in my system, 50% is a pass, 86% is an A) I was taking Calc, math, physics, chem, 2 french courses, choir, english, MUTH (Musical Theater)... I'm missing one... oh yeah, multimedia and design, so a smattering of hard and easy courses (French being the hard ones and Choir being, show up and get an A!) My HS didn't offer AP courses (well you could take the ap calculus test, but really, my ass would have just been MORE handed to me in first year if I'd managed to skip Calc1)

My Current system is a 9 point system. I'm pretty sure I'm at a B- average though, not bad for failing 2 classes.

Sour Apple

Postby Sour Apple » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:51 pm UTC

... how is it possible to get a 5.0? Is this some new-fangled Canadian system or something? My school didn't reward us for honors or AP classes. We got what we got.

Which is why our salutatorian was a drunk sonuvabitch [I enjoy that Firefox Dictionary accepts that as a word] who took dropped out of AP physics at the beginning of the year and took photography to boost his GPA. Otherwise it would have been my best friend, who actually did work.

... sorry, just a little sore about that. I was fourth in line. The dude's speech sucked.
Who I am. [Apparently this isn't obvious: I'm a chick, a bird, a female of your species.]

green

Postby green » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:38 am UTC

I typically got something like 1.75 through 2.something. I don't remember what I graduated with.

I was normally within the bottom three or so of my class :)

I did get straight A's the last quarter of my senior to let the administration know it was by choice though (a poor one, but meh).

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:44 pm UTC

Sour Apple wrote:... how is it possible to get a 5.0? ...My school didn't reward us for honors or AP classes.

Other schools do. That's how it's possible to get above a 4.0.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

SPsnow02

Postby SPsnow02 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:48 pm UTC

I'm from Michigan and I've never heard anything about having a Weighted Gpa :(

My Un-weighted GPA is a 3.7 (of 4)
Rawr!

Sour Apple

Postby Sour Apple » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:11 pm UTC

<_< Where in Michigan? I'm going to school there. Not to bash the Midwest, but MAN. The freaking Midwest.
Who I am. [Apparently this isn't obvious: I'm a chick, a bird, a female of your species.]

SPsnow02

Postby SPsnow02 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:13 pm UTC

A high school right next to the U of M campus, and I hoping to go to college at Michigan Tech (Up north)
Rawr!

Sour Apple

Postby Sour Apple » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:21 pm UTC

Ooh, up north. You have fun with that. (I'm from Arizona. I miss it.)

SPsnow02

Postby SPsnow02 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:25 pm UTC

Yup, I think I will love it, But I'm going to miss my Crew team, (Coxswain :D), I think they have a club up there but It'll be shorter seasons than now.
Rawr!

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:09 am UTC

SPsnow02 wrote:I'm from Michigan and I've never heard anything about having a Weighted Gpa :(

Then you haven't heard about enough schools. Mine, in Michigan as well, had weighted GPAs for AP classes (A's and B's in those classes counted for one point more than in non-AP classes, I believe).

While that makes it harder to compare between schools, and thus perhaps harder for the admissions people to evaluate (except that they know or can find out how your own school did things), the weight system was very nice within the school itself. It meant that, after taking 10 AP classes, I had a much higher GPA despite not getting perfect grades in most of them than someone who took, say, 10 phys ed classes throughout their high school career and "acing" all of them.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Joeldi

Postby Joeldi » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:30 am UTC

I got an OP 3, which won't mean anything to most people.

It's the third best ranking on a statewide scale of 1 to 25.
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

GCM

Postby GCM » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:27 am UTC

trickster721 wrote:
Felford wrote:(I'm British - we have GCSE's in whatever subject we take, no single over-all mark like you guys seem to have)

The equivalent would probably be the SATs, which are technically optional and are run by an independent organization, not the school system. Almost everyone trying to get into college takes the standard Reasoning test, which covers general language and math, and there are also a selection of more specific tests for people trying to get into a specialized college or program.

High school diplomas are generic, but apparently they're averaging individual class grades into a GPA now, which is how college student are traditionally scored. Before that, there were just transcripts listing the grade in each class, which nobody ever looked at.

Forgot about the ACT? :lol:
Just kidding, I took the SAT as well.

Mines a 3.something, depending on how you calculate, because we don't have A-, A then A+ here. It's either A+ or A, and I had like 2 A+s(3 if this one test turns out to count), 3 As, a B+, 3C+s and a C. Looking back, I really should've studied. Lazy me.
All warfare is based on heavily-armed robotic commandos.
~Sun Tzu

Notes: My last avatar was "Vote Robot Nixon", so I'm gonna keep a list here. :D

Unicyclist

Postby Unicyclist » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:38 pm UTC

1.9777... I blame it on Spanish.

I'm hoping they'll let me into AP Physics and Trig next year, through my FCAT/SAT scores.

Biology and Algebra II are lame.
don't plow that beautiful field!

crohnie
Location: Milky Way, Solar System, Earth, Northern Hemisphere, USA, MA...

Postby crohnie » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:19 pm UTC

I am Class of 07 so my HS GPA was a 3.4...
Strangely enough I got a 3.48 for my First semester. Guess I picked the right college for me :D
If you can read this, then I am probably procrastinating!

JFoss117

Postby JFoss117 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:50 am UTC

My school doesn't use a 4.0 scale and doesn't weight averages...

However, i have a 96/100 taking the hardest courses offered - this translates to ?/4.0 ???

skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist

Postby skeptical scientist » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:27 am UTC

JFoss117 wrote:My school doesn't use a 4.0 scale and doesn't weight averages...

However, i have a 96/100 taking the hardest courses offered - this translates to ?/4.0 ???

Who knows. It's not really possible to compare GPA across schools anyways, since some schools let you take AP classes, get straight Bs, and get a 4.0, and other schools will give you a 3.0 for that same record. Furthermore, even, say, an AP Bio class can vary greatly in difficulty from school to school, or within a school if its taught by different teachers. And so far I haven't even mentioned the many ways to game the system to improve your GPA.
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson

GCM

Postby GCM » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:28 am UTC

Here's an interesting thing. I'd give a wikipedia link, but too many people do that already.
Ontario universities and colleges also use a similar grading system as the above and the system used in the United States. Some colleges use a 4.0 scale, while others a 4.3 or 12.0 scale.

Letter Grade 12.0 Grading Scale 4.0 Grading Scale
A+ 12.0 4.33
A 11.0 4.00
A- 10.0 3.67
B+ 9.0 3.33
B 8.0 3.0
B- 7.0 2.67
C+ 6.0 2.33
C 5.0 2.00
C- 4.0 1.67
D+ 3.0 1.33
D 2.00 1.00
D- 1.00 .67

a 12.0 scale? I could be a C- average student and look real good! At least until the part where they ask how is this calculated.

I've also heard some law school somewhere uses a 9.0 scale, but this is only up to C. Below that is a fail. Something like 9.0= A+, 8.0= A, etc,etc.

Oh yeah, my this semesters GPA is 3.5. Go me!! (Yes, that is considered better than average for me)
~Sun Tzu

lowbart

Postby lowbart » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:17 pm UTC

Between 2.7 and 3.0.

I had this homework problem.

I still kind of do actually.

I was doing really well this year until I got two acceptance letters. Now, even though it's irrational because I know acceptances can be rescinded, I can't stay focused on any assignment for more than ten minutes.

It's like I'm on a road with only 1000 feet left until it feeds into a bigger road, but I'm in neutral and it's hard to tell if I have enough momentum to make it the rest of the way.
...a fish called the Henamo grunter, named because it makes grunting noises from its swim bladder.
v1nsai wrote:Yes, I'm Linux, how can I help you ma'am?

Eschatokyrios

Postby Eschatokyrios » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:36 am UTC

After 7 semesters, my GPA was 3.83 unweighted. I remember the number because I had to put it on a lot of forms for applying to college. It dropped some after that, but colleges don't really care about final semester grades unless they're abysmal and mine weren't so I didn't particularly care. I don't actually recall what my final GPA was.
კაცი ბჭობდა, ღმერთი იცინოდაო
k'atsi bch'obda, ghmerti itsinodao
"Man was discussing, God was laughing"
-Georgian proverb

Ril

Postby Ril » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:28 pm UTC

4.7 Weighted, didn't apply myself too much, but the system worked out in my favor anyway.

Still graduated like 40th in my class though, our valedictorian got the honor by .001 gpa points, something like a 4.863 or something. With the salutatorian a thousandth of a point behind. Honestly, I don't even know how they figured it at that point, there was definitely some grade voodoo at the end.

Uni gpa is a 3.7 currently, but we'll see what Electromagnetism has to say about that this semester, *sigh*.

Sulla158

Postby Sulla158 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:06 am UTC

I have 5.3 wieghted and about a 3.8 unweighted. I think my school does a 1.6 weight for AP classes, but I don't feel like doing the math. Its kind of annoying that GPA would made me valedictorian some other years at my school but as it is now I'm back in 9th or so.
The fact is, knife fights are a big part of being an adult. - The Slant

NOT Steve

Postby NOT Steve » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:21 am UTC

Julie wrote:Hmnnn...
Mine works like this...
Level 4 class : A=7, b=6, C=5, D=4, E=0
Level 3 : A=6, B=5 ... E=0
Level 2: A=5, B=4.... E=0
Level 1: A=4, B=3... E=0
Then you multiply that number by how many credits that class is (AP Bio, physics, chem, that meet 5 times a week with 2 double periods : 1.4; Regular bio, physics, Chem that meet 5 times a week with 1 double period: 1.2; regular majors: 1.0; Electives : .6 if meets 3x weekly, .4 if meets 2x weekly.)

It's really confusing. I actually didn't figure out how to do it until I was a sophomore. :oops: I think I'm a 3.6 on an unweighted 4.0 scale.

Christ, where do you go to school?
Should horses be represented in the Senate? Nay.

GCM

Postby GCM » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:29 am UTC

NOT Steve wrote:
Julie wrote:Hmnnn...
Mine works like this...
Level 4 class : A=7, b=6, C=5, D=4, E=0
Level 3 : A=6, B=5 ... E=0
Level 2: A=5, B=4.... E=0
Level 1: A=4, B=3... E=0
Then you multiply that number by how many credits that class is (AP Bio, physics, chem, that meet 5 times a week with 2 double periods : 1.4; Regular bio, physics, Chem that meet 5 times a week with 1 double period: 1.2; regular majors: 1.0; Electives : .6 if meets 3x weekly, .4 if meets 2x weekly.)

It's really confusing. I actually didn't figure out how to do it until I was a sophomore. :oops: I think I'm a 3.6 on an unweighted 4.0 scale.

Christ, where do you go to school?

Holy s*#@^, that's nuts, man. Is it mandatory to take a bunch of Level 1 classes and only 2 or 3 Level 4 or something? I can just imagine the look on the faces of the people who have to review someone with a 6.5 GPA.
~Sun Tzu

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:02 am UTC

Grades are a bit different in Sweden, we've got a four grade system, where 0 is failed, 3 is flawless.

I got 21 3:s, 6 2:s and 7 1:s.

I'm not sure how that translates though. It's good scores, not stellar, but good enough.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

McCaber

Postby McCaber » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:54 am UTC

I got a 3.95 out of 4 unweighted, and that was only good enough for the top 15%. My class really screwed up the ranking system.
Spoiler:
hyperion wrote:
Hawknc wrote:Crap, that image is going to get a lot of use around here.

That's what SHE said!

She blinded me with Science!

blue halax

Postby blue halax » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:03 pm UTC

How can this thread be dead when the College GPA thread is so active?

My college GPA was good enough that it's too boring to post about. My HS GPA is another story. I had a 1.6 when I was applying to colleges; I don't remember what I finally graduated with (but I do remember that I only had enough credits to graduate because my AP Chem teacher decided to change my grade from an F to a C when he found out that I got a 5 on the AP exam). Thanks Mr. Swanson :)

I wonder where I would have ended up if I failed out of HS. Shrug.

Return to “School”