Teachers that cannot teach

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Hit3k

Teachers that cannot teach

Postby Hit3k » Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:42 am UTC

We've all had them(Well most of them). You know the teacher that doesn't really belong to the subject.

I have two.

My first one is my maths teacher. He isn't really a maths teacher. He teaches Economics but doubles as a maths teacher(More money I guess?). Anyway it would explain why half my class is struggling with Maths and just don't want to do it anymore.

The second one is my English teacher. I'm not actually sure he's a teacher at all.. He can't pronounce words correctly (e.g. Montana, Al Jazeera). He's also my history teacher, he has trouble there as well... He can't spell very well either.. and he teaches us really bad grammar. (See?)

Well.. lets hear some stories... :D
Sungura wrote:My mom made me watch a star wars. Two of them , actually. The Death Star one and the one where the dude ends up in the swamp with the weird guy who talks funny.

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Re: Teachers that cannot teach

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:45 am UTC

Our teachers do nothing about a student having their face kicked in.

One up'd.

But also, our maths teacher can't do arithmetic. Relies on us to fill in the data.
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

Klye

Postby Klye » Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:48 am UTC

In 10th grade I had a first year World History Teacher. She asssigned homework every night, but it was all for completion grades and she didn't actually look at it, so it didn't matter what you wrote. I remember one girl instead of writing an essay on whatever filled a page with "Mrs. Jolley is a stupid bitch." over and over. She got a 100.
Phi wrote: Be careful when touching it though. It really expands.

Why would she say that?!?

Amicitia

Postby Amicitia » Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:50 am UTC

Hit3k wrote:My first one is my maths teacher. He isn't really a maths teacher. He teaches Economics but doubles as a maths teacher(More money I guess?). Anyway it would explain why half my class is struggling with Maths and just don't want to do it anymore.

I'm sure knowledge of economics deteriorates knowledge of math; econometricians must be some freak of nature.
"OMIT NEEDLESS WORDS"
William Strunk, Jr.

Vandole

Postby Vandole » Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:52 am UTC

My Careers (mandatory course in Ontario) teacher. I doubt she even went to teacher's college. Or graduated from university before going to teacher's college. We call her the penguin and she has no idea how to run a class. Also, this class was a mandatory open class, so we got all the idiotic assholes who didn't want to be there in that class.
Vandole wants you to read An Intimate History of the Greater Kingdom (NSFW text).
Oh, I'm no end table. I'm a nightstand.
Gelsamel wrote:Don't ever sig me..... ever.

clockworkmonk
I'm on a horse!

Postby clockworkmonk » Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:58 am UTC

wow, I really can't relate. The closest I can come up with was an English teacher who I'm pretty sure at least sometimes showed up to class a bit tipsy (because of the smell). She wasn't very aware of what was happening in her classroom, and once believed a student when he said his phone number started with 911. Despite all this, she did know her material.
418 I'm a teapot

Amicitia

Postby Amicitia » Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:00 am UTC

Insignificant Deification wrote:But also, our maths teacher can't do arithmetic. Relies on us to fill in the data.

It's the thought that counts. :roll:
"OMIT NEEDLESS WORDS"

William Strunk, Jr.

The Sleeping Tyrant

Postby The Sleeping Tyrant » Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:01 am UTC

My calculus teacher is pretty bad in that she can't explain anything. She teaches the lesson, then has over half the class complaining that they didn't understand it. She also goes off on tangents and starts talking about the stuff they'll learn later when it has no bearing on what they're doing now, leaves class for large stretches of time for no discernible reason, and wastes large amounts of class time talking about stuff that isn't even remotely related to the course.

She also doesn't seem to realize how stupid it is to give a test on a day when over half the class is missing, and she knew they would be missing in advance.

Nath

Postby Nath » Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:15 am UTC

Hit3k wrote:The second one is my English teacher. I'm not actually sure he's a teacher at all.. He can't pronounce words correctly (e.g. Montana, Al Jazeera). He's also my history teacher, he has trouble there as well... He can't spell very well either.. and he teaches us really bad grammar. (See?)

You're upset that your English teacher can't pronounce 'Al Jazeera'? Most people in the western world can't even pronounce 'Iraq'.

I've had some amazingly bad teachers. I remember one particular English class -- I think I was in eleventh grade -- when one of my classmates asked the teacher what 'typical' meant. (Why would an eleventh grader not know what 'typical' means? Good question. But I digress.)

This was the teacher's answer, as close as I can remember:
O yaar [Hindi/Urdu for 'friend'], typical means 'indifferent'. If some buay [boy] have two heads, or four hands, then that is a typical buay.

His primary language was Urdu, but I think he spoke Farsi as well. English, not so much.

He used to say things like this almost on a daily basis, but this was long enough ago that I've forgotten most of them. It's for the best.

As you might have guessed, I did not go to high school in an English-speaking country. I'd understand if they really couldn't find anybody fluent in English, but this was not the case. There were Mathematics teachers, Biology teachers, Physics teachers and Chemistry teachers who gave comprehensible lectures in English. But no, they had to hire this guy.

williamager

Postby williamager » Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:49 am UTC

Insignificant Deification wrote:But also, our maths teacher can't do arithmetic. Relies on us to fill in the data.

That could just be a sign that the teacher knows very advanced mathematics, and is therefore a victim of the Mathematical Bandwidth Theorem, which, though I'm unable to explain it fully at this time, essentially has the effect of making more advanced mathematicians worse at less advanced topics, due to their skill having a bandwidth narrower than their most advanced skill.
Do I dare
Disturb the universe?
In a minute there is time
For decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse

TheKhakinator
the next small girl on KRNT radio

Postby TheKhakinator » Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:56 am UTC

I remember reading somewhere:

You might be an engineer if... you can do advanced mathematics but don't know how to do long division.

williamager

Postby williamager » Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:08 am UTC

TheKhakinator wrote:I remember reading somewhere:

You might be an engineer if... you can do advanced mathematics but don't know how to do long division.

For mathematicians and physicists, this gets even more absurd. One glorious friend of mine once tried to explain least squares fitting to a poor undergraduate using Singular Value Decompositions, because that was easiest for her. Similarly, for a considerable period of time my technique for solving simple Newtonian mechanics (i.e., the sort of problems one should be able to do as a first-year physics student) was to always use the Lagrangian formalism; I even did this on the GRE.
Do I dare
Disturb the universe?
In a minute there is time
For decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse

Geekthras
3) What if it's delicious?

Postby Geekthras » Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:10 am UTC

I had a Romanian teacher for two weeks in a Number Theory course. It took me a week to understand what he was teaching.

One of the subs I had for History was left with a video and told to have us watch it. So she put it in, and spent 20 minutes trying to figure out how to get the VCR to work. I walked over, pressed the ON button on the VCR, and walked away. True story.
Wait. With a SPOON?!

Amicitia

Postby Amicitia » Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:16 am UTC

williamager wrote:
TheKhakinator wrote:I remember reading somewhere:

For mathematicians and physicists, this gets even more absurd. One glorious friend of mine once tried to explain least squares fitting to a poor undergraduate using Singular Value Decompositions, because that was easiest for her. Similarly, for a considerable period of time my technique for solving simple Newtonian mechanics (i.e., the sort of problems one should be able to do as a first-year physics student) was to always use the Lagrangian formalism; I even did this on the GRE.

I don't see the absurdity, that makes sense.
"OMIT NEEDLESS WORDS"

William Strunk, Jr.

Likpok

Postby Likpok » Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:19 am UTC

Well, at some point, the arithmetic stops mattering. You have a calculator for that. I've been in at least one math class where the teacher didn't even care that we knew the calculus (TI-89's were required), because the topics we were learning were beyond it. Also, the number-crunching was aggravating and long and error-prone.

And as to bad teachers, I had a horrible chemistry teacher. It was pretty clear she understood it, she just couldn't teach worth a damn. Ironic because the AP teacher (she taught chem 1) was downright amazing.
There's an art to cooking toast
Never try to guess
Cook it till it's smoking
Then twenty seconds less.

Amicitia

Postby Amicitia » Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:24 am UTC

At my high school, AP chemistry was intense and took up a third of your schedule.
"OMIT NEEDLESS WORDS"

William Strunk, Jr.

noparenthesis

Postby noparenthesis » Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:29 am UTC

At my high school, it was a requirement that all the coaches teach academic subjects, also. This didn't make a difference in most cases, because most (like my World History teacher and the science teacher who sponsored Chess Club) were really good teachers who just happened to coach a team, as well. The two biggest exceptions to this were my Algebra I and Physical Science teachers.

Algebra I was the only math class I got good grades in, because the teacher was older than dirt and had no clue what was going on anymore. He even recommended me for Honors Geometry. (Big mistake.)

In Physical Science, which is a piece of cake course anyway, I had a gym teacher/baseball coach who knew nothing about the subject. Nice guy, and he kept the class in order, but every day we read a chapter and filled out a worksheet. It was twenty minutes work for a class that lasted an hour and a half. At least I never had homework, but it was such a waste of my fucking time.

Then there was my senior year English teacher, who was just an idiot. She dressed three decades too young, worked us three grades too easily, and ruined my grade with her stupid final exam. The school required that final exams for seniors be on Scantron for quicker grading. Okay, fair enough, she couldn't help that. However, asking me to interpret the "meaning" of a poem on a multiple choice question where only one answer is acceptable to you, three make equal amounts of sense, and none are really very good answers is just stupid. This is the same teacher who failed my older brother his sophomore year by accusing him of plagiarism on his term paper. She had no evidence, and didn't say what, exactly, he was supposed to have copied. She just said the paper was too good for a tenth-grader to have written. My brother's a bright guy, and he writes well. She was also one of the most condescending people I've known.
"I do not want people to be very agreeable, as it saves me the trouble of liking them a great deal."
--Jane Austen

scowdich
The Hedgehog

Postby scowdich » Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:41 am UTC

I have 3 professors that bother me this year:

1) An old Indian emeritus faculty fellow (who wrote the book for the class and seems to have invented his own vector notation), electromagnetic fields. He's showed up for about a third of his classes, and we regularly take bets as to whether he's dead this time or what.

2) Some sort of tag-team of two professors for statistics...I'm not even sure which one is actually mine. They don't really keep up with each other, so some things get covered twice, some never. One of them doesn't speak English too well; she has, in this statistics course, referred to (and written on the board) the idea of using statistics in "grambling".

3) A history professor who has spent the whole semester (so far) teaching broad concepts, then gives an exam asking for extremely specific things. "Who wrote this book referred to once in the text and never in class? Okay, what year? What month?" Only one part of this is hyperbole. All but about 8 people fail this exam. He then assigns a paper, emphasizing that we should avoid narrative and focus entirely on analysis...the topic itself, however, could easily pass for a creative writing assignment. "Pretend you're an 18th-century reporter, covering Laviosier's new book on chemistry..."...gaa!

Amicitia

Postby Amicitia » Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:42 am UTC

I once had a teacher I didn't like, so I dropped out of the class.
"OMIT NEEDLESS WORDS"

William Strunk, Jr.

Lyra Ngalia

Postby Lyra Ngalia » Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:37 am UTC

A professor I have for two classes this semester has the following lecture style:

1) Enter classroom.
2) Turn off lights.
3) Turn on document camera.
4) Place textbook (which he wrote) on document camera.
5) Read out of textbook.

Last week, the document camera in our classroom got broken. The man said "Take out your books and follow along," and proceeded to read out of his copy. Didn't touch a piece of chalk, didn't even attempt to sketch the (simple) diagrams he was referring to. Just. Read. Out. Loud.

He also has a habit of not knowing/not caring whether the page he's pointing to is actually displayed on the screen. On a fairly regular basis, he will spend fifteen minutes discussing a diagram that is off the screen, and if anyone tries to ask him to move the picture, he talks over them.

This is why I hate tenure.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path... Only I will remain.

Hoags

Postby Hoags » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:06 pm UTC

My friend's chemistry teacher once told him that water is the only molecule. Everything else, apparently, is a particle. I am SO glad I don't go to that school.

I've been pretty lucky with teachers, though. All of my teachers have been "okay" to "great". Their worse trait seems to be being SO. DAMN. BORING. (I'm looking at you, Mr. Year-11-Chem-Teacher.)

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:33 pm UTC

Actually, our maths teacher knows surprisingly little of advanced mathematics.

:s And by fill in the data, I don't just mean addition and long division, I mean pretty much solving three-layer(as I call them) algebraic equations.

She doesn't actually teach that badly, though I do have to go to my SO to make sense of it fairly often. Wait, does that mean she does teach badly?
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

Aviatrix

Postby Aviatrix » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:56 pm UTC

As long as teaching is a profession that (1) doesn't pay too well and (2) is a last resort job for people who have not made it in other professions or (3) is a requirement for researchers who would prefer to live on a different plane, you're going to have some ill-prepared or just bad teachers. There are many teachers who love what they do, do it very well or at least with a working skill, and don't care so much about the money so they stay in the profession; kudos to those folks.
Vandole wrote:My Careers (mandatory course in Ontario) teacher. I doubt she even went to teacher's college. Or graduated from university before going to teacher's college.
At the college where I teach, this is certainly not a requirement. I'm not even sure what teacher's college is. There are colleges that originated as Normal Schools (teacher's colleges) but most of those are liberal arts colleges these days. Typically a high school teacher will need a credential of some sort, which may be akin to what you are talking about. A community college instructor needs a minimum of a Masters in the area in which they will teach, but no formal education in teaching technique. At the university level, you typically need a PhD and are more involved with your area of research than in educational philosophy.
It's hard to tell from your comment, but this might be an instructor who wants you to do the work, rather than give you the answer. Or an instructor who wants you to practice non-reliance on calculators. But on those lines:
Likpok wrote:Well, at some point, the arithmetic stops mattering. You have a calculator for that.
At some levels it is important to know what the calculator is doing for you. You may agree since you said "at some point". Any seasoned instructor probably learned with fewer tools than his or her students have at hand. There's a mindset that says "if I had to mentally sweat this hard then you whippersnappers are gonna sweat too!" That's extreme, but so is an attitude of, "I don't need to understand how this works, the calculator will do it for me." (Likpok, I understand that's not what you said :-))

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:57 pm UTC

Given that pretty much ever definition of teaching involves explaining the subject matter to the student in such a way that the student understands the subject when they walk away...

Yeah, it does.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Aviatrix

Postby Aviatrix » Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:22 pm UTC

Now that I've waxed philosophical, I'll tell my own bad teacher stories.

Along the lines of teachers who don't read what's turned in: when I was in college, there was a rumor that Dr. X graded by the weight of the paper. One person typed out a 5 page paper, then padded it between page 3 and 4 with 20 pages copied from the American Kennel Club's Complete Dog Book. Yep... he got an A. Please note that he did not cut and paste... this predates the computer, and the fellow typed the whole thing in on his Royal.

I still remember one thing I learned in my American Government course in high school: If your football team scores, there is no guarantee of the outcome. But if the other team never scores, you are guaranteed at least a tie. Defense wins football games. (Three guesses what my American Government teacher really did.)

My high school trig teacher had a plan to seat the disruptive, lazy, or just plain dumb kids up front, and the "A" students in the back. This nearly derailed my love of math, because I could not see well from the back, I could not hear well, and it was too easy to get distracted. I'm sure if I was a student today I would be diagnosed as ADHD or ADD.

I made it through trig. But the next year I met with the guidance counselor to discuss my future. I wanted to go to college (less than a third of my high school class did) and I wanted to major in math. She told me that the only career open to math majors was to be a high school math teacher, and the pitiful thing was, I believed her, withdrew from my calculus course, and concentrated on biology. Chemistry and physics were not recommended, because the teacher who taught both had never given a girl higher than a "C", as he felt females could not do science. If a girl passed the exams with As, he would cite poor lab technique and drop her grade, which happened to my next door neighbor. Her parents fought it all the way to the school board and lost, so I was disinclined to be the next girl to decrease my chances at a good college. (Cough over very big number) years later, I am still pissed that I was steered away from a math major.

Stief

Postby Stief » Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:57 pm UTC

One of my math teachers used to walk out of the class about 5 minutes into the lesson, come back after 20 minutes or so, and ask if we've done the work...¬_¬

and I'm not sure if this is on-topic, I think this tale goes under "Classes teachers that cannot teach"

I used to learn in an all boys comprehensive school and I was (somehow, by some strange miracle) in the top set for science...

In biology and physics, the teachers could stand us, and managed to teach us...

But Chemistry lessons were a different matter...
My class somehow managed to get through 4 teachers before the head of chemistry/science took us...
I'm not writing this to say "Lolz, I r be a reb3l!!!111!one!" btw... :roll:

I agree that most of it is due to the fault of my class' behaviour, but most of the teachers couldn't teach anyway...

example:
Teacher-"right, if I wanted to get (something), which equasion would I need to use"
Kid in class-"that one"
Teacher-"correct!"
bear in mind, this entire conversation happened with the teacher's back to the class ¬_¬
this teacher also locked the door after an idiot set fire to a book and threw it behind a cupboard...we were inside...

another would walk through a web of cotton the class had made from a reel...and not do anything about it...
bbctol wrote:There is a term for what you have created. I believe it is "Dude- that shit is EPIC."

Teknobo wrote:Seriously, try flying down the street in Need for Speed while listening to the bicycle theme from Pokémon. It's beyond fantastic.

sillybear25
civilized syllabub
Location: Look at me, I'm putting a meta-joke in the Location field.

Postby sillybear25 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:01 pm UTC

noparenthesis wrote:At my high school, it was a requirement that all the coaches teach academic subjects, also. This didn't make a difference in most cases, because most (like my World History teacher and the science teacher who sponsored Chess Club) were really good teachers who just happened to coach a team, as well. The two biggest exceptions to this were my Algebra I and Physical Science teachers.

At my school, they end up teaching Driver's Ed...

I had an Algebra II teacher who knew the book. She didn't really know the math, she just knew that the book said that it was right.

Last year, my friend had an English teacher who really shouldn't have been teaching at all. Unfortunately, she already had her tenure (IMO, one of the most useless agreements in today's world... :? ) so she couldn't be removed. For the first semester, she left all the teaching to the student teacher, and, while the rest of the American Lit teachers were teaching The Great Gatsby, she was still teaching The Scarlet Letter (The class was taught chronologically). She also decided that her class was going to read Huckleberry Finn. This is an Honors-level high school class, and she's teaching Huck Finn... Her class was also a reading-comprehension type of class, rather than a literature class. My school has a reading comprehension course, but it's Freshman year on the "Slow Track" -- one step above SEDOL... I offered to teach my friend the actual literature so that he wouldn't be behind this year, but he declined my offer. I hope he does okay...
This space intentionally left blank.

Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:18 pm UTC

Most of the bad teachers I've had were the ones that seem to exist in their own little world (and one who seemed to make a rather large number of Freudian slips, but maybe I just have a twisted mind), or play favourites very heavily (like one with whom you either had to be a girl or in all of his classes for him to give you a good mark, otherwise he'd just rail on you no matter what you did. Being neither, and not having even wanted the course (guidance counselor had randomly dropped me in there for no reason (they have a habit of doing that at my school)), I dropped the course by the second day). I'm thinking of dropping my Bio course for next semester because of some of the stories I've heard about how that teacher really can't teach, and Chem is more my thing anyways.

Edit: Just remembered another teacher from back in elementary school. Not necessarily a bad teacher, per se, but just didn't teach French (then again, Ontario canceled the core French program the next year, and teachers going on strike every other week probably did more damage to my French skills than she did). Instead it was more of an Arts/Dance class, with the odd bit of French thrown in. But hey, I learned to Waltz there, so it wasn't all bad.
Last edited by Master Gunner on Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:33 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

redthegreat

Postby redthegreat » Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:36 pm UTC

Don't you just hate the lecturers who have written several books and brag about it? One of my lecturers has written several books on the grounded theory methodology and won't stop banging on about it, I don't even know / care what grounded theory is, I just want to learn java :(
Please don't correct my spelling, I am lisdexic and know it is probably wrong.

clockworkmonk
I'm on a horse!

Postby clockworkmonk » Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:43 pm UTC

Yeah, I've had a couple of lecturers who wrote the book, and would not shut up about it. There was the Philosophy one, who was actually a dam good teacher. Made points with the simpsons, and when we got to basic logic, Showed Monty Python's argument clinic. he was good.

he had powerpoint slides, but for the most part they were made during class.
418 I'm a teapot

Oort

Postby Oort » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:51 pm UTC

My engineering teacher. How I loathe her. She can't teach, doesn't know squat about engineering, and hates us. And we (the class) hate her. In the first six weeks she's taught us about 2 things. Recently she brought in a second teacher to help her out because she can't handle the class by herself. Mostly she lectures for engineering for 10 minutes, then complains at us, then assigns us work that she doesn't check.

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:02 pm UTC

The bad teachers I had in high school were all just plain nuts. Apparently being kind of psycho does not enhance teaching skills.

College is a whole different story. The problem with professors is that the requirement for becoming one is a PhD, which doesn't necessarily give you any teaching experience. If you're awesome and one of the top sight after people in your field, you may well have started grad school on fellowships and research grants and had no teaching experience besides presenting a few papers at conferences. If you do TA, there's no guarantee that you actually taught instead of helping with labs or something, plus all the teaching instruction you get is two days of boring and worthless TA orientation before you get plopped in front of a class with no idea what the hell you're doing. So most professors have never actually been taught how to teach.
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:03 pm UTC

i had several anomolies in high school; a health teacher that was the wrestling coach, several math and science (including physics) teachers who were other various sports coaches, and they were VERY good teachers. they knew their stuff. our sports programs, on the other hand, werent that awesome. good, but not great.

and then there was the "environmental sciences" teacher heading the chemistry class. -_-;;;

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

Gladjaframpf

Postby Gladjaframpf » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:41 pm UTC

My elementary school history teacher was completely useless. He would give us an assignment, ramble on about current events for most of the class, and then accuse us of wasting our time because no one had the assignment done. To make things worse, half the time he didn't even have his current events right. Apparently a flat rate for electricity means that everyone would pay the same amount no matter how much power they used. He realized with a month left in the school year that he had only taught us one unit of the thirteen in the course, so he divided the class into groups and got each group to do a ten minute presentation on an entire chapter from the textbook.

My dad had a teacher who would give him a lower mark than he had actually earned on tests because he "wasn't an A student". I'm really glad that they don't let teachers do that sort of thing any more, because otherwise I probably would have failed math last year. My teacher and I hated each other.

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:32 am UTC

I go to a Catholic school. My science teacher spends half the period explaining how such-and-such a theory can still support the fact that there is a God etc.
=]

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:08 am UTC

Grade 11 U-level English teacher: Old, ugly, mean. Gave the girls higher marks regardless of what they wrote down. Had a conversation with a (black) friend of mine like this:

Teacher: Do you go to this school?
Him: Yeah...
Teacher: Will you have me next semester?
Him: I think so.
Teacher: My class will be too difficult for you, don't take it.

She would talk about people with sweeping, irrelevant generalizations ("the Jews", "the Blacks", and so forth). She tried to claim (during the unit on media) that subliminal messaging is not used by advertisers because "people don't look for the messages", and refused to believe me that the point is that people don't look for them.

She had her creds too, MA Eng and teacher's college.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

Rysto

Postby Rysto » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:27 am UTC

The Sleeping Tyrant wrote:My calculus teacher is pretty bad in that she can't explain anything. She teaches the lesson, then has over half the class complaining that they didn't understand it. She also goes off on tangents

But tangents is what differential calculus is all about!

Klye

Postby Klye » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:51 am UTC

The Sleeping Tyrant wrote:My calculus teacher is pretty bad in that she can't explain anything. She teaches the lesson, then has over half the class complaining that they didn't understand it. She also goes off on tangents

Maybe it's just a calculus teacher thing... my prof. always tries to use politics to explain why he's teaching us things.
Example:

"I'm going to teach you shortcuts to taking derivatives because I believe in the war in Iraq, but not the war in Afghanistan."
Phi wrote: Be careful when touching it though. It really expands.

Why would she say that?!?

saxything43

Postby saxything43 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:11 am UTC

Our teacher decided that to help us learn Chemistry, it was important to memorize half of the periodic table. It doesn't matter that on EVERY assignment she lets us use the back of the book, which has the table printed in it. And on every test. And that by the end of the year we'll have memorized the ones we need anyways, because we'll have used them all year. No, that doesn't matter, we still had to memorize it and be tested on it.

REtardation.
This post brought you to by the number 42.

The Sleeping Tyrant

Postby The Sleeping Tyrant » Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:28 am UTC

Rysto wrote:

But tangents is what differential calculus is all about!

Indeed. And I would have no problems with it if I didn't doubt she'd finish the course material by the end of the semester. I want to do the trig functions goddamn!

Klye wrote:Maybe it's just a calculus teacher thing... my prof. always tries to use politics to explain why he's teaching us things.
Example:

"I'm going to teach you shortcuts to taking derivatives because I believe in the war in Iraq, but not the war in Afghanistan."

Did he actually say that? If so, that's a little... odd.

Thankfully the teachers at my school are disallowed from spreading the political views, otherwise I have no doubt I'd be hearing crap like that daily. It's bad enough I have to put up with their religious views (although that is entirely my fault, as it is a religious school).

Return to “School”