Effects of rest

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

elminster

Effects of rest

Postby elminster » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:14 pm UTC

I was having a debate with someone about the effects of rest.
Basically I've found that I put on muscle weight considerably faster than the average; it's obviously partly due to genetics, that I'm 24, and male, but the person seemed convinced that the average person could do the same with a similar amount of rest.

To put it in comparison, I've done a moderate (Gym 1-3 times a week) amount of training over the last few months and put on over a stone of muscle (Noticeably less fat, but increased over a stone in weight, from ~11.5 around 5 months go to 12.8st as of today). I look over some people's regimes and they appear to work themselves to death to gain a similar amount and diet planned so closely, whereas I eat what I feel like half the time (I've had over 1500 calories a meal several times recently, which is generally offset by exercise and high metabolism). I could do twice the amount I currently do without over doing it, so it's not like I'm pushing myself.

However, I've basically not been doing much (much more rest time), poorer than average sleeping, better than the average diet (I try get 5 fruits/veg a day, high protein, too much fat and carbs though); so I have an advantage in a few respects. It's hard for me to tell how much of it is just my good habits in relation to muscle building, or how much can be attributed to a rather sedentary life style most of the time.

So... is mostly complete rest really that significant over the amount of rest an average person who is in to fitness will get?

TheNorm05

Re: Effects of rest

Postby TheNorm05 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:34 pm UTC

I can't say for sure, but I do know that over-eating and strength training has the effect of building muscle, and that resting is always helpful. I imagine it takes quite a bit of energy to build muscles, so when people burn themselves out at a gym every day for several hours at a time, they might not burn off all the calories they consume in a day, but they'd have fewer to play with by the time they got around to sleeping. Again, I'm not qualified to make any of these assumptions, but in a way it makes some sense.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:53 pm UTC

Some people have naturally faster metabolisms. I for one, in highschool and most of undergrad, was eating whatever I wanted, in copious quantities, and only exercising occasionally while maintaining reasonable definition and weight. This last summer, I was running and working out continually and eating well, and dropped weight and put on muscle. This winter, I stopped working out and ate more, and lost definition and gained a gut.

What I'm saying is give it a few years, and that ease of figure maintenance will fade.

As for rest incorporation into an exercise routine, I assure you, it's quite important.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Solt

Postby Solt » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:02 am UTC

elminster wrote:So... is mostly complete rest really that significant over the amount of rest an average person who is in to fitness will get?

I don't think it's nearly as important as diet. But you do notice that star athletes tend to get pretty much perfect rest. Training is their full time job, meaning that when they aren't actually working out they are eating and resting. They always get sufficient sleep and many even get to nap and get massages every day.
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,
produced a more reliable product. But sailors do
not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a
most annoying habit of splitting in two."
-J.W. Morris

Return to “Fit Club”