Transitioning from biking to running

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

TheNorm05

Transitioning from biking to running

Postby TheNorm05 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:55 pm UTC

I don't own a road bike or anything special, but I can ride my bike for hours before I start feeling genuinely tired. I rode the 5 miles of shallow hills from my school to my house with a 20 pound sack of rice in my backpack. However, when I go running, I seem to become instantly exhausted. I imagine that running and biking use some of the same muscle groups so my assumption is that my cardio sucks, and the reason for me getting tired is my circulatory/respiratory system lagging behind my moderate leg strength. It's been really cold out but I'm probably going to start doing sprints when it warms up some more, so probably by next week. I figure this will work because it cuts more calories faster and since I get exhausted from mild jogging, it might benefit me more to start out with exercises that exhaust me to build up my cardio.

It's been bothering me since winter break because my older brother who is leagues ahead of me in physical conditioning out runs me as a pro athlete does a toddler. Couple this with the fact that when I was a teen, I could just keep running almost indefinitely and never hit a wall. So about me:

height: 5'7.5" , Weight: 144 lbs(checked 4 days ago), BMI: 18% fat(which apparently is in the healthy range? We checked at a friends' house.)

Diet isn't really an issue, I'm in college and shop for myself so I choose to eat healthier now than when I'm home for break. I also don't think I have any medical conditions that would make it harder to run or anything. I figure I just need to do more exercises that take the wind right out of me. Any other suggestions?

Solt

Re: Transitioning from biking to running

Postby Solt » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:19 am UTC

TheNorm05 wrote: I rode the 5 miles of shallow hills from my school to my house with a 20 pound sack of rice in my backpack.

But how fast?
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,
produced a more reliable product. But sailors do
not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a
most annoying habit of splitting in two."
-J.W. Morris

TheNorm05

Postby TheNorm05 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:54 am UTC

Solt wrote:
TheNorm05 wrote: I rode the 5 miles of shallow hills from my school to my house with a 20 pound sack of rice in my backpack.

But how fast?

Took about 40-50 minutes. I don't own a watch so that's my best guesstimate. It was definitely 50 or less though because my clock at home is pretty close to the real time.

Ulc

Postby Ulc » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:38 pm UTC

TheNorm05 wrote:height: 5'7.5" , Weight: 144 lbs(checked 4 days ago), BMI: 18% fat(which apparently is in the healthy range? We checked at a friends' house.)

Disclaimer: Sorry if this sounds a bit harsh, it really isn't meant to.

You should probably look up what BMI is.

BMI isn't expressed as a percentage, and 18 in BMI is rather low, problematically low. If on the other hand, it is your fat percentage, it's rather on the high side.

And from a quick calculation your BMI is actually 22.6, which is in the healthy range yes. But if that is coupled with a fat percentage of 18%, it seems fairly like that what is the case is that your muscles are far under trained, and that you're carrying around too much fat, so that it isn't actually healthy at all.

So in all likelihood both your cardio and strength is poor. Especially if you're getting exhausted from mild jogging!

I'd recommend some cardio and strenght training really.

Oh, and taking 40 min. for a 5 mile bike ride is slow. Even in hilly country with 20 pounds on your back. At that speed, yes, I bet you can go on for hours without getting exhausted. But that's like saying "When walking I can go on forever!".
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?

Paranoid__Android

Postby Paranoid__Android » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:07 pm UTC

Well firstly cycling and running use different muscle's, so being good at cycling wont really help your running. (I can cycle 100 miles in a day on a heavily loaded bike, but I run for 10 minutes and I'm practically dead). Although I've heard that running can help cycling but not the other way around. If you want to run faster and for longer start running not cycling. Also jumping jacks are really good for increasing stamina. Do as many as you can at high speed.
The Great Hippo wrote:Paranoid__Android,
... truly, you are a champion among champions. ...

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:13 pm UTC

I would very roughly approximate biking distances to 3-4x running distances.

As for the transition, be prepared for impact. Stand as tall as you can and stick your chest out.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

TheNorm05

Postby TheNorm05 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:11 am UTC

Ulc wrote:
TheNorm05 wrote:height: 5'7.5" , Weight: 144 lbs(checked 4 days ago), BMI: 18% fat(which apparently is in the healthy range? We checked at a friends' house.)

Disclaimer: Sorry if this sounds a bit harsh, it really isn't meant to.

You should probably look up what BMI is.

BMI isn't expressed as a percentage, and 18 in BMI is rather low, problematically low. If on the other hand, it is your fat percentage, it's rather on the high side.

And from a quick calculation your BMI is actually 22.6, which is in the healthy range yes. But if that is coupled with a fat percentage of 18%, it seems fairly like that what is the case is that your muscles are far under trained, and that you're carrying around too much fat, so that it isn't actually healthy at all.

So in all likelihood both your cardio and strength is poor. Especially if you're getting exhausted from mild jogging!

I'd recommend some cardio and strenght training really.

Oh, and taking 40 min. for a 5 mile bike ride is slow. Even in hilly country with 20 pounds on your back. At that speed, yes, I bet you can go on for hours without getting exhausted. But that's like saying "When walking I can go on forever!".

yeah, I didn't know what BMI was, and it's not 18%. They had some sort of scale that "calculated" it supposedly.

As per my slow bike time, when you mentioned it I thought to myself(yeah that does sound slow), especially considering that I walked home once and it took me around 2-3 hours. So I double checked the distance on google maps, it's closer to 6 miles(5.9 was the route I was previously taking, which walking still makes it about 2-3 miles per hour? Messing around on google maps I found a route that is 5.1 miles and I'll need to commit those directions to memory) and I stop at red lights because I generally don't want to get hit. If I care sometime I'll actually time it properly, but I did it in about half an hour today stopping a few times for a few minutes to warm up my ears, and I guess I should use a stop watch. For what it's worth I'm not really trying to prove that I'm an amazing cyclist, only that my physical conditioning isn't terrible. I mentioned this to my older brother and he says it might be because of my breathing, since it's easier to take larger gasps of air while on a bike, as opposed to running where it requires a little better timing with all the bouncing around.

Anyway, I figure practicing what I want to be good at would be a pretty good way to go about it. I'd almost forgotten that jumping jacks existed entirely.

cybermutiny

Postby cybermutiny » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:46 pm UTC

If you want to become a good runner, there are really two things you should focus on.

1) Run. Don't think about transitioning from a bike to running. Just focus on running. Make a consistent schedule (running 3 times a week, for instance), choose a distance, and track your time. Save your times in an Excel spreadsheet and try to increase your distance or beat your old time each week.

2) Lose weight (as long as you're not already pencil-thin). Seriously, losing 10 pounds makes running feel 100 times easier.
P = (A*F) - S, where A = art, F = funny, S = style, and P = Paint Avant-Garde

TheNorm05

Postby TheNorm05 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:35 pm UTC

Got a stop watch, and I'm going to use it to keep track of my times over set distances over time.

Return to “Fit Club”