Exercises for carrying a bike

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

Paranoid__Android

Exercises for carrying a bike

Postby Paranoid__Android » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:43 pm UTC

hey, I'm going on a MTB trip soonish which will involve a fair bit of carrying my bike on my back up very, very large mountains. What kind of exercises (ideally bodyweight exercises) should I be focusing on? - my upper body strength is terrible at the moment...

although without the prosthetic leg.
The Great Hippo wrote:Paranoid__Android,
... truly, you are a champion among champions. ...

Solt

Re: Exercises for carrying a bike

Postby Solt » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:49 am UTC

Depends on how you carry it. The easiest way is probably somewhat bent over, meaning your lower back will take the stress and you can do deadlifts or goodmornings for that.

If you want to walk relatively upright... biceps (pullups), and shoulders (pushups, with feet elevated). Actually, between pullups and pushups with various angles and grips, you're working out practically every upper body muscle to some extent.

Squats would workout both legs (for actual riding) and lower back.
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,
produced a more reliable product. But sailors do
not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a
most annoying habit of splitting in two."
-J.W. Morris

Nath

Postby Nath » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:10 am UTC

Solt wrote:Actually, between pullups and pushups with various angles and grips, you're working out practically every upper body muscle to some extent.

If it has to be bodyweight exercises, this is pretty much what I was going to suggest. If regular pushups are too easy for effective strength training (i.e. you can do dozens at a stretch), you can do one-arm or handstand pushups.

shocklocks

Postby shocklocks » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:54 pm UTC

Why don't you just bike to a hill and carry the bike up it x times a session until it's easy?

akashra

Postby akashra » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:15 am UTC

Learning to hike-a-bike is an important skill to have in XC racing, hence I can contribute the following:
- Carry it over one shoulder, carried from the top tube just in front of the seat tube.
- When carrying fails, one hand on the bars, one hand on the rear of the saddle.

That's about all I have to say :?
( find / -name \*base\* -exec chown us : us { } \ ; )

Solt

Postby Solt » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:28 am UTC

Nath wrote:If regular pushups are too easy for effective strength training (i.e. you can do dozens at a stretch), you can do one-arm or handstand pushups.

If pushups are too easy for him I think he'll have no problem carrying the bike.

shocklocks wrote:Why don't you just bike to a hill and carry the bike up it x times a session until it's easy?

Best advice.
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,

produced a more reliable product. But sailors do

not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a

most annoying habit of splitting in two."

-J.W. Morris

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:08 pm UTC

If you can pick the bike up to put it on your shoulder, then you should be able to carry it... do not bend over (that's the worst advice for carrying anything remotely heavy you can possibly give.

What bike are you using, if its an XC or other hardtail I seriously doubt you'll need to exercise; If you're going to be riding a big Full Sus Rig then I reccomend that you don't attempt to carry it.
Great things are done when Men & Mountains meet,
This is not Done by Jostling in the Street.

Paranoid__Android

Postby Paranoid__Android » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:55 pm UTC

Its a hardtail but I will be carrying it up over a 3000m peak. Although I haven't actually seen my route yet, my friend says it's pretty horrific... I can already pick it up and carry it as I have quite a light bike but I need a good amount of endurance. I did this before over a ~2700m peak and I barely made it.

Sadly pushups are not too easy, I can manage barely 15 and then I die.

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:04 pm UTC

I suspect your problem is that you're not "Hill fit" as the climbing fraternity like to call it; that is you don't have good specific fitness for walking over steep terrain. The simplest way to improve your fitness in that area would be to whack some weight into a rucksack to simulate your bike (11-15kg?) and go walk up and down lots of hills (or climb up and down the stairwell of a tall building lots if that's more practical);

You cycle a hell of a lot it seems, so trying to boost your general fitness with non-specific exercises probably isn't going to be as useful as getting used to walking at a decent pace on an incline.
Great things are done when Men & Mountains meet,
This is not Done by Jostling in the Street.

Fossa

Postby Fossa » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:39 pm UTC

Once you've lifted the bike, your upper body strength isn't that involved. It's more your legs and core.

Still, if upper body is your concern (it is important in lifting and balancing the bike) and you want to do body weight exercises I recommend going up or down stairs backwards on your hands.

Basically this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b-P1OyX ... r_embedded

Regardless of whether you're going up or down, keep your feet on the stairs above you and your hands on the stairs below you. Your shoulders will thank you (once they stop aching). This will also help with your core a bit.

Paranoid__Android

Postby Paranoid__Android » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:04 am UTC

I think my 'hill fitness' is okay for the moment, I've climbed Ben Nevis in lots of snow with stuff on my back and I was fine.
I'm going to focus on push-ups, and those funky Quadrupedal things. If I can get up and down my stairs a few times I think I'll probably be ready.

TheNorm05

Postby TheNorm05 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:46 am UTC

It'd still prolly be a good idea to practice carrying it up hills once or twice. As strong as you may or may not be, you have to contend with the bike's shape and weight distribution as well, and getting used to that while tackling a hill would probably be helpful. They say practice makes perfect.

Paranoid__Android

Postby Paranoid__Android » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:18 am UTC

You make a fair point. I'll try that out when I'm closer to my departure date.

Return to “Fit Club”