Cannabis use and fitness

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Cannabis use and fitness

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:46 am UTC

While I'm glad you're speaking from vast experience, I think it's safe to say that while the motor impairment of marijuana and alcohol are quite distinct from one another, both represent motor impairment (Obvious statement is obvious statement).
It wasn't a straw man at all; you claimed that being drunk while exercising was bad for reasons A, B, and C. I pointed out that at least reasons B and C are likely to afflict someone who is stoned while exercising. Whether or not you feel being stoned is still conducive to a workout is your bag, and if you want to delve into degrees of intoxication, I believe a case can be made for lowering inhibitions and dulling pain prior to many endeavors, incidentally, properties both marijuana and alcohol deliver.
I'm not suggesting alcohol is a fine pre-workout supplement and marijuana isn't, I'm simply saying that you're pointing out issues with alcohol that also exist with marijuana.
tl;dr?
meatyochre wrote:However, I can safely say that being stoned makes for a "less bad" workout than being drunk would. Because being high doesn't cause a loss of motor function like liquor does.

I disagree, unless you want to argue levels of intoxication.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
Jacque
a member of shro's band
Posts: 870
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:28 pm UTC
Location: Oakland, CA
Contact:

Re: Cannabis use and fitness

Postby Jacque » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:29 pm UTC

I think this discussion is getting a little off base now. The OP's original question was more about long-term/concurrent effects of marijuana use and not so much about exercising while high.

So this is not so much about cancer and motor impairment than it is about the effect of smoking on an individual's body in regards to exercise and fitness.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Cannabis use and fitness

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:20 pm UTC

Sure, but meatyochre and I seem to be discussing the differences of being under the influence of either alcohol or marijuana while exercising. meaty is claiming marijuana is less bad, and I'm disagreeing, unless you want to debate differing levels of intoxication.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

bbq
Posts: 186
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:00 pm UTC

Re: Cannabis use and fitness

Postby bbq » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:40 pm UTC

Yeah they have a complete different effect on you whilst exercising.
niinn.ininniinniininiini.n.iii...ininiiinnninnin.inn.niniininnnn.

Mere Accumulation Of Observational Evidence Does Not Constitute 'Proof'.

Rackum
Posts: 132
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:15 pm UTC

Re: Cannabis use and fitness

Postby Rackum » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:58 pm UTC

Being friends with a few Olympic athletes I was surprised to find that many things are considered PEDs for testing purposes at that level of athletic competition. Want to have an extra cup or two of coffee prior to your test? Up until 2004 caffeine at any level was a failure and now levels at 12ug/mL of urine(approximately eight cups of coffe) constitute failure. Cannabis is typically used to calm nerves/jitters and for that reason can be considered a PED as it is "artificially" allowing the athlete to compete at a higher level than they would have otherwise. This is the same reasoning for several other chemicals on the ban list (painkillers, stimulants, some "depressants", etc).

I'm at work and so therefore absolutely no way I can risk going to or linking sites of research, but I know offhand that the University of Saskatchewan has conducted several studies on the effects of marijuana and other (much stronger) synthetic cannabinoids. Generally, I don't trust studies that have a financial stake in finding one way or the other and so most US-based studies are not worthwhile, in my opinion.

As far as the "overall health" issue -- the only issue with the smoke would be your PM2.5 and PM10 (particulate matter at 2.5 micron diameter and 10 micron diameter) as these particles are the correct size to deposit in certain areas of the lungs and decrease effective alveolar surface area for gas exchange. Aside from that there is no real health detriment (that we know of) from the use of marijuana.

User avatar
meatyochre
Posts: 1524
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:09 am UTC
Location: flying with the Conchords

Re: Cannabis use and fitness

Postby meatyochre » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:18 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Sure, but meatyochre and I seem to be discussing the differences of being under the influence of either alcohol or marijuana while exercising. meaty is claiming marijuana is less bad, and I'm disagreeing, unless you want to debate differing levels of intoxication.

You're saying they have comparable immediate side effects and I'm saying they do NOT. Now, this may vary a bit between individuals, but alcohol and weed do not function even remotely similarly as far as immediate side effects (other than the fact that they both appear to be depressants).

Liquor makes you giggly, off-balance, uninhibited, and it's a diuretic. Weed makes you munchy, does nothing to your inhibitions, doesn't make you dizzy, and doesn't make you piss. You assuredly would be capable of working out while high if you really wanted to, although it's not likely to be as effective as a sober workout. Working out while drunk is an extremely risky activity.

If you haven't been both high and drunk yourself at any point in your life, I hesitate to continue this argument any further.
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

Image

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Cannabis use and fitness

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:53 pm UTC

meatyochre wrote:You're saying they have comparable immediate side effects and I'm saying they do NOT.

I'm saying that working out while intoxicated by either weed or alcohol is unadvisable. I know many people who drink or smoke post workout, and I know a couple who partially and small scale partake in either pre-workout, as pain and boredom mitigation. Neither is recommended. I'm saying lower degrees of intoxication from both weed and alcohol are going to be detrimental to a workout.

meatyochre wrote:Liquor makes you giggly, off-balance, uninhibited, and it's a diuretic. Weed makes you munchy, does nothing to your inhibitions, doesn't make you dizzy, and doesn't make you piss. You assuredly would be capable of working out while high if you really wanted to, although it's not likely to be as effective as a sober workout. Working out while drunk is an extremely risky activity.

Weed impairs your judgement, and worsens your reaction time (i.e., impairs your motor function). If you want to argue, again, degrees of intoxication, this is a whole other argument, but if you're simply saying that someone who is falling over drunk will have a hard and dangerous time elevating their heartrate, and someone who is too stoned to operate a doorknob will simply be too stoned to find the equipment, I feel you're comparing apples to oranges. I feel being mildly drunk is going to be comparably detrimental as being mildly stoned, in regards to health risks and personal safety.

meatyochre wrote:If you haven't been both high and drunk yourself at any point in your life, I hesitate to continue this argument any further.

I wonder where you got that from. I assure you, I have been, if that somehow lends more credence to my arguments.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.


Return to “Fit Club”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests