*SERVER* OS

Please compose all posts in Emacs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

wing
the /b/slayer

*SERVER* OS

Postby wing » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:37 am UTC

Desktop OS' are largely a matter of personal taste. So who really fucking cares.

Do you do things the right way and use OpenBSD?
Do you find yourself wishing for the days when servers were plain white boxes with strange CPU architectures and use OpenSolaris?
Are you a loser and use Linux?
Do you subscribe to the Retry-Reboot-Reinstall theory of system administration and use Windows Server?
Are you a [insert epithet here] and use OSX Server?
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

EvanED

Re: *SERVER* OS

Postby EvanED » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:52 am UTC

I'm using FreeBSD on my older computer as a home server, because it (once they release version 7, due mid-Jan) will support ZFS. And I don't feel like dealing with OpenSolaris and making sure it works with all my hardware.

enk

Postby enk » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:52 pm UTC

In The Danish Youth Association of Science, we used a Fedora server. It became unstable, so now we're renting a virtually hosted FreeBSD server as web server and use the old Linux one for development.
phlip wrote:Ha HA! Recycled emacs jokes.

Pobega

Postby Pobega » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:36 pm UTC

For a server OS I'm between a couple of operating systems, it really all depends on what I'm using it for.

• FreeBSD: Good for a small server (Low-bandwith or home use), I've yet to pull any good use out of it, though I've heard a lot of fine things about FreeBSD. This is what I use personally right now, but that's mainly because I am trying to figure out how to use BSD so that I can readminister my server with OpenBSD.
  • Debian GNU/Linux: Ah, Debian. The only downfall to this operating system as a server is that it's a binary only distribution, but the plus side is that personally I know how to maintain a Debian server, so I'd be able to fix a wide array of problems (As opposed to BSD, where I'm near clueless in that userland)
  • Gentoo GNU/Linux: Gentoo would be a good alternative to Debian if I needed to compile from source and didn't care about time. Gentoo is nice because of how Portage works, and there is loads of documentation available online. And the server packages are generally very stable (I can't say the same about desktop-suited packages, though).
  • OpenBSD: If I had to build a server in regards to security, uptime and minimalization, OpenBSD would definitely be my choice. OpenBSD ships with the least amount of holes by default, so if I'm just installing an Apache/PHP/MySQL server, those would be the only possible vulnerabilities on my system (And I'd know how to patch them, since as a good sysadmin I'd keep up with bug reports).

Of course, this is all from personal experience with the exception of OpenBSD as I've yet to install it (Or even attempt to).

photosinensis

Postby photosinensis » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:13 pm UTC

Give me Debian xor give me death!

Or something.

Edited: I hope this is more clear. And since Debian is free and takes much less effort than death, I expect that.
Last edited by photosinensis on Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:03 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning,
And my heart was filled with mournng, mourning for my dear amour.
"'Tis not possible!" I uttered, "Give me back my free hardcore!"
Quoth the server: 404.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:28 pm UTC

photosinensis wrote:Give me Debian or give me death!

Do you have a preference for which? I could provide both if need be. ;-)

crazyjimbo

Postby crazyjimbo » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:23 pm UTC

EvanED wrote:

Death by Debian?

That would be apt.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:46 pm UTC

*Groan*

enk

Postby enk » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:59 am UTC

crazyjimbo wrote:
EvanED wrote:

Death by Debian?

That would be apt.

He did ask for Debian or death, so I guess you could give him both. At least he didn't say "Give me Debian xor give me death!" ....... :P
phlip wrote:Ha HA! Recycled emacs jokes.

ToLazyToThink

Postby ToLazyToThink » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:52 pm UTC

As long as it's a *nix I'll live.

I couldn't imagine trying to support a windows server. Most of ~/bin is shell scripts for scraping log files, restarting/configuring server processes, development, etc.

Masuri

Postby Masuri » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:16 pm UTC

I have a deep abiding love for AIX. I worked on that for 9 years as a power user. AIX is a very polite, helpful flavor of UNIX. If something is wrong, it wants to tell you what it is and why it may have happened. It gives you nice menus and happily shows you any information you want to see.

I realize that this makes many UNIX purists crazy. AIX is just a mainframe in disguise! Yes, that's as may be; it is remarkably similar to OS/400 in many ways. But compared to other flavors of UNIX - Solaris, HP-UX (*cringe*), etc - AIX is a sweet, helpful beast and I love it.

d3adf001

Postby d3adf001 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:40 am UTC

slackware because its simple and stable

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:37 pm UTC

Masuri wrote:AIX is a very polite, helpful flavor of UNIX. If something is wrong, it wants to tell you what it is and why it may have happened. It gives you nice menus and happily shows you any information you want to see.
So it's the exact opposite of OpenBSD, which openly accuses you of rape every chance it gets.

(for the record, that was a clean install and I'd totally forgotten to add my account to sudoers)
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

niteice

Postby niteice » Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:08 am UTC

Slackware, because it's like FreeBSD, but it's Linux.

or FreeBSD, because it's like Slackware, but it's BSD.

Either way I run Slackware or derivatives (slamd64) on both of my boxes.
GENERATION 4294967292: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum, negate the generation, and convert it to a 32-bit unsigned integer. Social experiment.

sethicus
Winner

Postby sethicus » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:27 am UTC

To be honest, a slimmed down version of Server 2003 Datacenter Edition is quite nice. I ran that for a few months before I got tired of it, and it was solid and reliable.

I also ran RedHat 9.0 with Samba on it. That was fun, but this was in the infancy of OO.O, and it wasn't working for school.

As of now, I am in the middle of installing Debian 4.0 Stable to use as a toy / file server.
Compromise: Lowering my standards so you can meet them.

akashra

Postby akashra » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:07 am UTC

My experience is that people who use Linux as servers think they know what they're doing, but don't really. This is without going into the fact that it's a SPOS.
( find / -name \*base\* -exec chown us : us { } \ ; )

zenten

Postby zenten » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:18 pm UTC

akashra wrote:My experience is that people who use servers think they know what they're doing, but don't really.

Fixed.

Return to “Religious Wars”