Best package management frontend

Please compose all posts in Emacs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

zenten

Best package management frontend

Postby zenten » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:26 pm UTC

The answer is of course wajig. Aptitude is for chumps.

photosinensis

Re: Best package management frontend

Postby photosinensis » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:09 am UTC

apt-src is the most awesome: you get all the pain of Gentoo with a Debian-style distribution.
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning,
And my heart was filled with mournng, mourning for my dear amour.
"'Tis not possible!" I uttered, "Give me back my free hardcore!"
Quoth the server: 404.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:16 am UTC

I hate them all! Mainly because none of the PCs have had Linux and connection to the internet at the same time. If there is a package manager I can run in windows off a USB drive, and have it find packages plus the dependencies and the like, so I can then take them home and install them, that one is my favourite.

photosinensis

Postby photosinensis » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:27 am UTC

JayDee wrote:I hate them all! Mainly because none of the PCs have had Linux and connection to the internet at the same time. If there is a package manager I can run in windows off a USB drive, and have it find packages plus the dependencies and the like, so I can then take them home and install them, that one is my favourite.

Actually, there are ways to do that. It's certainly not easy (the repositories are huge), but if you absolutely must, Debian has this thing: they publish the entire set of archives on their discs, and they release updates every few months. Burn the disks, then add the CDs to the sources (Ubuntu does this automatically), then run an update.

However, if your Linux box has no connection to the Internet, I have no idea why you have much need of package management if you stick to stable releases.
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning,
And my heart was filled with mournng, mourning for my dear amour.
"'Tis not possible!" I uttered, "Give me back my free hardcore!"
Quoth the server: 404.

d3adf001

Postby d3adf001 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:57 am UTC

its packagetools. thanks you i win

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:08 am UTC

photosinensis wrote:However, if your Linux box has no connection to the Internet, I have no idea why you have much need of package management if you stick to stable releases.

The software that comes on the discs (and so far I've only really used discs off magazines and the like) isn't quite enough for me. And every time I download a random package, it's a bitch to install because I take it home, find out I'm missing something or other, come back to the internet, get that, go home, find I'm missing something else. This time round it isn't so bad, because I made sure to install everything I could at the beginning. From what I hear of package management, it would automate some of this hassle.

zenten

Postby zenten » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:18 pm UTC

JayDee wrote:
photosinensis wrote:However, if your Linux box has no connection to the Internet, I have no idea why you have much need of package management if you stick to stable releases.

The software that comes on the discs (and so far I've only really used discs off magazines and the like) isn't quite enough for me. And every time I download a random package, it's a bitch to install because I take it home, find out I'm missing something or other, come back to the internet, get that, go home, find I'm missing something else. This time round it isn't so bad, because I made sure to install everything I could at the beginning. From what I hear of package management, it would automate some of this hassle.

Just burn everything for a given release onto (many) disks. Disks are cheap.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:07 pm UTC

zenten wrote:Just burn everything for a given release onto (many) disks. Disks are cheap.

Time isn't, so much. But I'll probably give that a try, one day. Or order a complete set or discs from Debian or something like that.

andqso

Postby andqso » Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:50 am UTC

Code: Select all

alias ac='apt-cache'
alias acs='apt-cache search'
alias ag='sudo apt-get'
alias agi='sudo apt-get install'
alias agr='sudo apt-get remove'

APT is beautiful.

davean
Site Ninja

Postby davean » Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:12 pm UTC

The only package manager you should need is a terminal.

zenten

Postby zenten » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:21 pm UTC

davean wrote:The only package manager you should need is a terminal.

So I take it you don't use make then?

crazyjimbo

Postby crazyjimbo » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:35 pm UTC

I don't understand this at all. Assuming you mean all you need is a terminal to do everything manually, then sure that's all you need, but compared to some of the solutions out there, it is a really really bad choice for most uses.

If you mean that we don't need a GUI to manage packages then yea, that's probably true. I reckon I could type apt-get install $package quicker than anyone could start up a GUI front end anyway.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:59 pm UTC

bah, GUI frontends for package management are silly. I'd still use yum if I had Fedora installed...but I don't, so now I have to use this silly thing called apt.

FACM

Postby FACM » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:57 pm UTC

I like the apt-based systems best. Currently using Gentoo and portage, and while it's quite similar it doesn't quite seem to be as good at dependency checking as apt. That may have something to do with USE flag settings sometimes, though.

zenten

Postby zenten » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:34 pm UTC

crazyjimbo wrote:

I don't understand this at all. Assuming you mean all you need is a terminal to do everything manually, then sure that's all you need, but compared to some of the solutions out there, it is a really really bad choice for most uses.

If you mean that we don't need a GUI to manage packages then yea, that's probably true. I reckon I could type apt-get install $package quicker than anyone could start up a GUI front end anyway.

Considering that I gave wajig as the first example, he can't be talking about the second.

Holy crap, typing in wajig install <url of debfile> will just install the deb directly.
Last edited by zenten on Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:19 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Pobega

Postby Pobega » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:58 am UTC

Aptitude on the command line is the way for me! I like Aptitude's following of dependencies and automatic installs, as well as the customizability of it through configuration files.

I've really never looked into wajig, but I've heard it's a pretty good tool. Perhaps after I write this post I'll read some man pages and READMEs.
Last edited by Pobega on Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:15 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Briareos

Postby Briareos » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:58 am UTC

whoo portage whoo

I'm not quite sure why it was the "package-management frontend" thread that caused me to make my first post in months.

I'm in favor of portage mostly because I have no experience with anything else. But I find it quite easy to use. I don't know; I don't have any good technical points to make. No one had mentioned portage yet, so I figured I would.

Now I must run away to find a "which distribution" holy war and plug Gentoo!
Sandry wrote:Bless you, Briareos.

Blriaraisghaasghoasufdpt.
Oregonaut wrote:Briareos is my new bestest friend.

HappySmileMan

Postby HappySmileMan » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:35 pm UTC

I vote for portage because of the USE flags, though really they all do pretty much the same things, you can argue all you want, but "apt-get install kopete" and "emerge kopete" do the same thing for 99% of users (unless you need your USE flags)

Pobega

Postby Pobega » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:21 am UTC

HappySmileMan wrote:I vote for portage because of the USE flags, though really they all do pretty much the same things, you can argue all you want, but "apt-get install kopete" and "emerge kopete" do the same thing for 99% of users (unless you need your USE flags)

There are certain things I can do in Aptitude that I'd have no clue how to do in Portage (As well as apt-get); Read the page in aptitude-doc-en about "Search Patterns".

rwald

Postby rwald » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:29 pm UTC

Though I'm a die-hard Gentoo user, I've got to admit that in most ways, apt-get is a better package manager; emerge handles installing, uninstalling, and upgrading fine, but for reverse dependencies you need revdep-rebuild. Still, neither do searching all that well; neither distro is usable without aptitude/eix. Since aptitude also works as a package manager, I guess that'd probably put it at the top of the list, though I'm not sure you need one program to do all these different tasks.

rabyd_donkey

Postby rabyd_donkey » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:40 pm UTC

zenten wrote:Holy crap, typing in wajig install <url of debfile> will just install the deb directly.

Godly!

LauraSakura

Postby LauraSakura » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:24 pm UTC

hmmm I like synaptec.
But half the time, i usually juts find myself in the console doing apt-get install

Aperfectring

Postby Aperfectring » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:27 pm UTC

I use apt-get and apt-cache. But then again, I rarely ever need to do anything other than simple searches, installing, removing, or upgrading packages, so it works for me.
Odds are I did well on my probability exam.

Return to “Religious Wars”