Distro Whores...I mean Distro Wars!

Please compose all posts in Emacs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

wing
the /b/slayer

Re: Distro Whores...I mean Distro Wars!

Postby wing » Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:18 am UTC

photosinensis wrote:
wing wrote:At this moment, I am trying to figure out exactly why I installed Ubuntu. I've been staring at a kernel compile for the past half hour (no, not because I needed support for more stuff - because I got sick and tired of blowing RAM and disk space on options for hardware that has no physical chance of ever being connected to this laptop)

I hate (re)compiling kernels. This is why I stick with the kernel that comes with the binary distribution.

Sadly, I had to enable some debug options (and while I was at it, I stripped out all the useless stuff, too. Like SCSI. And RAID. And esoteric and/or WAN network interface options. And all the fucking drivers on the entire planet. Because this is a laptop, and it physically can't do those things. Unfortunately, it seems that I also hit "N" while my cursor was on the fucking System V IPC.

Apparently, nVidia's drivers use the System V IPC. So I built the kernel, installed it, fixed X (which still pointed at the now-invalid nvidia drivers), reinstalled madwifi, and spent 2 hours trying to figure out why nothing I tried would make the nVidia drivers install. And then I tried doing it manually. And only then did I actually get a visible error message - "Does your kernel have SYSVIPC?"

So now I'm rebuilding the kernel. Then I'll have to redo madwifi again. And then, and only then, can I try the nVidia bit again. And see what I forgot this time.

<3 kernel rebuilds. After months and months of Linux usage, I finally have a problem that isn't trivial to solve (mind you, I caused it). This is how Linux is supposed to be.
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

Pobega

Postby Pobega » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:27 pm UTC

photosinensis wrote:Try reading XKCD without X.

I do it all of the time. Look up "fbi".

shash

Postby shash » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:03 am UTC

Two Gentoo boxes... Sure, compiling is a pain, but I can leave it on through the night or when I'm at work.

On the other hand, pretty much everything is configurable in like 4-5 steps. OK, you have to edit a config file instead of having a nice GUI to do it from, but the difference is really negligible to me. Also, I like not having to bring in 2/3rds of all Gnome when what I want is KDE.

I don't compile Openoffice and similar ridiculous-amount-of-time-to-compile stuff, but I'm running a multilib x86-64 system with practically zero effort.

I also like to have a kernel without 30 different WLAN drivers (for a physically connected desktop, no less), 80 different audio cards, 16 different features for processors I've never even heard of, and a bunch of totally irrelavent file systems...

And all that doesn't even begin to talk about the community - forums, IRC, documentation, wiki, mailing lists,... Only Debian and Ubuntu compare.

I'm also maintaining a couple of Fedora systems at work (they're run-of-the-mill machines used as servers), and yum is a dog! It insists on hitting servers to get a bunch of xml files even when you're only querying locally installed packages. It also refuses to run parallel sessions...

But otherwise, I like Fedora too... Nice system to maintain, and the config tools are generally useful without being too intrusive.
Do not spin this aircraft. If the aircraft does enter a spin it will return to earth without further attention on the part of the aeronaut.
-- first handbook issued with the Curtis-Wright flyer.

FACM

Postby FACM » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:57 pm UTC

photosinensis wrote:
FACM wrote:Sometimes, waiting hours for big packages to recompile with a new USE flag on is a little irritating, but sometimes I need the excuse to walk away from the computer.

You, sir or madam, are everything that is wrong with the typical Gentoo user. Use flags do not make your computer faster. They do not reduce size or memory usage. Anyone telling you otherwise is lying to you. Compiling your own binaries won't improve performance either. That last one can be tested.

What I propose is this: I've currently got a stock install of Ubuntu running in Parallels. I'll do a stage 1 install of Gentoo in a secondary VM. We'll then run some code that I've already written to perform some benchmarks on my Mac, but is entirely compatible with Linux as well. I'll post the code and the results here. We will then run some math on the results (we're gonna run the code multiple times: it uses a pseudorandom number generator to add two large matrices) and check for an Honestly Significant Difference between the results and it turns out that there is one in Gentoo's favor, I'll consent that you're not a kool-aid drinking troll.

Hi there, let's clear some things up here.

First, I made no statement as to why I changed USE flags. I made no claims that USE flags accelerated anything, reduced binary size [though someone else did mention this earlier], or anything of the sort. My exact statement only indicates that changing USE flags requires recompiling the source. If you're curious, I added xinerama support to my system so I could get dual monitors working the way I wanted them to. Feel free to point me to a laundry list of configs and packages I could change manually that's easier than adding xinerama to my USE flags and "emerge system". I doubt one exists.

Secondly, compiling your own binaries can improve performance. The cases where it will be an Honestly Significant Difference are few, but they are notable. My simple, far-from-scientific test was comparing GIMP on my Macbook (1.8 GHz Core Duo, standard build) to GIMP on my tower (3.0 Ghz P4, -O3 -march=prescott). The plasma plugin ran about 3 seconds faster on the tower for a 2000x2000 image using the same seed value. Fairly impressive, considering the weaker CPU. Not sure how much threading the plasma plugin does, though. For something like OpenOffice, Firefox, etc where the code wouldn't benefit from SSE/2/3 or your preferred architecture's floating-point instructions, there won't be a great difference in speed.

On a note related to your benchmark proposal: Macs, despite the UNIX base, will not always run UNIX code as fast as an actual UNIX machine. I'm not sure if it would affect VMs or not. Some things are moved around to other functions for reasons I'm not clear on. A benchmarking tool discovered this, and had to rewrite the mac client to make it match the UNIX scores on the same hardware. I'll try and find a link to it since I'm being ambiguous and vague.

That covers your issues with me. Now, can you explain why the sudden outburst of hatred at me? [Beyond "This the Religious Wars forum"?]
Instead of explaining sudden outbursts of hatred directed at other individuals, let's instead not have any of that. Direct your outbursts of hatred at Gentoo, if you wish, but we'll be skipping the personal attacks. Thank you.
Last edited by Hammer on Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:28 pm UTC, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Fixed quote tags

photosinensis

Postby photosinensis » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:07 pm UTC

Well, the proposal was entirely within two identical VMs on my MacBook: one Ubuntu and one Gentoo. I've given up on trying to pull off a stage 1/3 install--I find portage to be too arcane and take too damn long. I've got more pressing matters to attend to, such as finals. So screw that.

Since you ask, I'll need to know what kind of graphics card you use. In short, you're stuck with X conf file edits unless you're using an nVidia card. However, I still posit that while involving more work on your part, you'll be done and using your computer much sooner with a regular old binary distribution than you will by compiling X. Generally, though, I found the use flags to be asinine and stupid, not convenient. Just edit the damn conf file already. You might actually learn something.

Yes, I've got a massive hate-on for Gentoo. It seems to be a solution in search of a problem. Now if you really wanted a real ports system in Linux, I could understand that. But making a Linux-style package manager that only compiles from source is incredibly stupid.
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning,
And my heart was filled with mournng, mourning for my dear amour.
"'Tis not possible!" I uttered, "Give me back my free hardcore!"
Quoth the server: 404.

HappySmileMan

Postby HappySmileMan » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:13 pm UTC

I run Gentoo (as I've stated before in this thread I think), and while most programs run the same speed, Compiz-Fusion goes much faster on Gentoo than Ubuntu, and the same for watching videos. So obviously there must be some advantage of Gentoo or compiling in these cases that doesn't seem to apply to most programs (someone mentioned SSE optimisations but I don't really know much about them)

zenten

Postby zenten » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:10 pm UTC

photosinensis wrote:Well, the proposal was entirely within two identical VMs on my MacBook: one Ubuntu and one Gentoo. I've given up on trying to pull off a stage 1/3 install--I find portage to be too arcane and take too damn long. I've got more pressing matters to attend to, such as finals. So screw that.

Since you ask, I'll need to know what kind of graphics card you use. In short, you're stuck with X conf file edits unless you're using an nVidia card. However, I still posit that while involving more work on your part, you'll be done and using your computer much sooner with a regular old binary distribution than you will by compiling X. Generally, though, I found the use flags to be asinine and stupid, not convenient. Just edit the damn conf file already. You might actually learn something.

Yes, I've got a massive hate-on for Gentoo. It seems to be a solution in search of a problem. Now if you really wanted a real ports system in Linux, I could understand that. But making a Linux-style package manager that only compiles from source is incredibly stupid.

I thought you could use portage to install binaries.

HappySmileMan

Postby HappySmileMan » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:24 pm UTC

zenten wrote:I thought you could use portage to install binaries.

Not for most things, but for large programs you can, (and obviously for non-open-source programs). You cal install Binaries of Firefox and OpenOffice, and I think the DEs

FACM

Postby FACM » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:27 am UTC

I'm pretty certain you can. It's not the default option, but I'm pretty sure it's there.

shash

Postby shash » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:35 pm UTC

FACM wrote:

I'm pretty certain you can. It's not the default option, but I'm pretty sure it's there.

Which is how Vida and Sabayon work...
Do not spin this aircraft. If the aircraft does enter a spin it will return to earth without further attention on the part of the aeronaut.

rabyd_donkey

Postby rabyd_donkey » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:43 pm UTC

photosinensis wrote:But making a Linux-style package manager that only compiles from source is incredibly stupid.

I've been wondering about the true reasoning behind this for some time now. Is there one, besides the warm fuzzy feeling?

shash

Postby shash » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:31 am UTC

rabyd_donkey wrote:
photosinensis wrote:But making a Linux-style package manager that only compiles from source is incredibly stupid.

I've been wondering about the true reasoning behind this for some time now. Is there one, besides the warm fuzzy feeling?

Well, I for one like using USE flags to disable/enable features instead of bringing in half of gnome with my KDE.

Though portage isn't exactly binary-only - I use binary openoffice, and sometimes firefox and mplayer.

Another advantage (small, but there) is that I get the development libs and headers without having to install a -devel package for everything.

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:36 am UTC

If you guys would still like to benchmark Ubuntu vs. Gentoo, I have Copious Free Time and VMWare Server 2. I'll just need someone to describe for me a battery of tests to run. I won't be able to do it until this coming weekend, though - I have crunchtime in a couple of classes this week.
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

wst

Postby wst » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:43 pm UTC

I use Fedora 8. Linux is great, it's the whole 'coolness of the name' thing. functionally I doubt I'd find much difference, but, 'Werewolf' or 'Feisty Fawn'. No contest.
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

lachatte

Postby lachatte » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:34 pm UTC

I love my Debian testing/sid. I started out on Linux with RH, then FC2/3 (can't remember which it was or maybe I used both), then Xebian (Xbox Debian) because we switched from the desktop to the Xbox as the main computer. After we managed to totally destroy the Xbox (don't ask), I stuck with Debian, with one very brief and very frustrating stint on F7 before running straight back to Debian. At some point I looked into both Ubuntu (decided against it because it seemed to be used mostly by people new to Linux, and I wasn't and didn't want to be lumped in with the noobs) and Gentoo (can't remember the exact reason I didn't want to use it, but I think it had something to do with emerge... *shrug*).

magnum_opus

Postby magnum_opus » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:17 pm UTC

Loyal Archer here. I moved to it 3-4 years back when i was just learning linux, I was using Vector Linux (at the time it was basically slackware, with a gui installer), and i got tired of not having a package manager that did dependencies. Found arch, somehow, haven't left since.

-Binary package manager, but the script needed for creating your own package is dead simple, and there's good support for rebuilding a package from source (for the times that you really don't want to drag in some feature required dependency)
-bsd style init system
-It's a very opt-in distro, very little gets installed unless you tell it to, and dependencies tend to be kept to a minimum.
-It's a rolling release distro, I can't deal with things like ubuntu that have package freezes.
-Community of nerds
-Pacman is great
-The AUR (community package repository) is a very nice service

that said i have a preference for fedora over ubuntu as far as recommending to noobs.

d3adf001

Postby d3adf001 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:24 pm UTC

i run gentoo and its not hard. i run gentoo and i havent learned shit. i run gentoo and didnt learn anything about how my system works. when i ran slackware i DID learn about how a system works, and about various other aspects of linux. gentoo has the same amount of automagic as ubuntu. typing emerge --sync && emerge -uND world and watching gcc output fly by doesnt teach you shit.

also links in framebuffer fixes xkcd without x

Hurduser

Postby Hurduser » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:25 pm UTC

Well, you learn a lot by setting up your computer, especially if you install from minimal CD. setting up the sound and the 'net was something, I never did before...
Frag mal nach im IRC
'zum Kotzen' das heisst dort XP.
Win2k, nur so zum staunen,
hat mehr Bugs als nur zweitausend.

d3adf001

Postby d3adf001 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:38 pm UTC

Hurduser wrote:Well, you learn a lot by setting up your computer, especially if you install from minimal CD. setting up the sound and the 'net was something, I never did before...

so if i gave you a computer you could install gentoo from a minimal cd without the docs? if you cant you didnt learn you just followed instructions.

on a side note how do you learn from chrooting and un bziping something then doing auto magic known as portage? you didnt use ldd to find deps, you didnt write your own makefile, you didnt even make configure your own kernel, you used genkernel. sounds to me like you learned how to read instructions

Reading instructions sounds to me like a good place to start when you don't know how to do something. Pretty good way to learn how to do it too. Of course, I don't have magic powers that allow me to know what other people did or did not do, or divine what they learned or did not learn.

FACM

Postby FACM » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:42 pm UTC

wing wrote:If you guys would still like to benchmark Ubuntu vs. Gentoo, I have Copious Free Time and VMWare Server 2. I'll just need someone to describe for me a battery of tests to run. I won't be able to do it until this coming weekend, though - I have crunchtime in a couple of classes this week.

As much as I'd prefer testing be done on a native install, installing Linux twice for testing something like this is a bit excessive.

There are a couple of benchmark packages in both apt and portage, but I've not looked close enough at them to see if they'd be useful for this comparison. I'd try some real-world tests, if possible. Generate some huge image in GIMP using one of the render filters in it, run some set of queries on a fairly large database file, that sort of thing.

In theory, you could do a comparison using just Gentoo. Build all the packages with an empty value for CFLAGS, run the tests, then rebuild the packages with a higher-optimized set of values, like "-O3 -march=<insert your CPU model here>" and run them again. This won't necessarily actually display a difference in some cases, as I've noticed that many packages tend to ignore or alter the CFLAGS variable to settings it prefers.

rabyd_donkey

Postby rabyd_donkey » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:22 pm UTC

d3adf001 wrote:
Hurduser wrote:Well, you learn a lot by setting up your computer, especially if you install from minimal CD. setting up the sound and the 'net was something, I never did before...

so if i gave you a computer you could install gentoo from a minimal cd without the docs? if you cant you didnt learn you just followed instructions.

on a side note how do you learn from chrooting and un bziping something then doing auto magic known as portage? you didnt use ldd to find deps, you didnt write your own makefile, you didnt even make configure your own kernel, you used genkernel. sounds to me like you learned how to read instructions

You make a good point. The craziest eye-opener I had to computers was when I took an operating systems class and had to write the crucial subsystems of an OS. Not that you have to go that far, though. I highly recommend every programmer read up on their favorite OS (Linux is a good example, being free) on that level. Learning about makefiles is fine, but studying something like CPU scheduling algorithms will give you great insight.

monkeykoder

Postby monkeykoder » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:11 am UTC

I was at one time a rabid gentoo fan. After about 2 years of using it exclusively I trashed my system by trying to fix something with the wrong application of rm *... So I'm now on a quest to find the perfect Linux system. I am quite tired of emerge being so darned slow so right now I'm trying debian and ubuntu. So far debian is winning by a long shot (I like having a root account (I also don't mind trashing a system every once in a while.)). I did learn a lot getting gentoo working the first time mostly because I accidentally skipped certain pages of the install docs. All around gentoo is fun and all but more time consuming than it is worth. So would Arch be the next one to try out for a fun system?

zenten

Postby zenten » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:23 pm UTC

monkeykoder wrote:I was at one time a rabid gentoo fan. After about 2 years of using it exclusively I trashed my system by trying to fix something with the wrong application of rm *... So I'm now on a quest to find the perfect Linux system. I am quite tired of emerge being so darned slow so right now I'm trying debian and ubuntu. So far debian is winning by a long shot (I like having a root account (I also don't mind trashing a system every once in a while.)). I did learn a lot getting gentoo working the first time mostly because I accidentally skipped certain pages of the install docs. All around gentoo is fun and all but more time consuming than it is worth. So would Arch be the next one to try out for a fun system?

Well, it's really easy to get root access on Ubuntu.

Just type in sudo su :)

d3adf001

Postby d3adf001 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:19 pm UTC

zenten wrote:Well, it's really easy to get root access on Ubuntu.

you mean sudo bash?

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:52 pm UTC

zenten wrote:Just type in sudo su :)

Not sure whether this works or not, but I'm so going to alias it to susu anyway.

Can't say I prefer any distro over any other, but I did recently install Ubuntu on my laptop. It supports my wireless and my video card, so I'm quite happy with it.
It's okay, I'm Chaotic Neutral. I can kill him over the loot.
Overexposure to pieaholicx may, in semi-rare cases, emancipate dental fillings, crowns, tooth enamel, and teeth.

Eps

Postby Eps » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:52 am UTC

I used to use Mandrake and BSD; now I use a combination of Scientific Linux 4 (work) and Xubuntu 6.10 (laptop). I'm rather fond of Xfce, hence the use of Xubuntu over vanilla Ubuntu with GNOME. Unfortunately, my (PC) laptop finally went the way of the dodo, so it looks like I'll be digging out my G4 Aluminium PowerBook, replacing the knackered HD and battery, and whacking a (non-OS X) *nix on that.

Eschatokyrios

Postby Eschatokyrios » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:15 pm UTC

I used to use SuSE, which I think I chose pretty much at random when I first started out with linux. Later I switched to Arch Linux, which I use now. I like pacman, I like the "opt-in"-ness of Arch, and (most importantly for me, since I am still very much a noob in many ways) the Arch forums and IRC channel are a lot more helpful than any of the other distributions I've tried, ubuntu included.

I would like to at some point try Gentoo, to see whether the benefits of compiling outweight the bad. Actually, I'm told that Arch is basically what Gentoo would be if it used binaries, so it'd be interesting to see how true that is.

I have ubuntu on my laptop. It runs too slowly, especially given the fact that my laptop is old. I didn't find it particularly easier to configure than any other distribution, either, and I don't like the no root user thing. At some point I will replace it with a minimalist distro that runs fast on old hardware.
კაცი ბჭობდა, ღმერთი იცინოდაო
k'atsi bch'obda, ghmerti itsinodao
"Man was discussing, God was laughing"
-Georgian proverb

e946

Postby e946 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:15 am UTC

d3adf001 wrote:

you mean sudo bash?

No, it's sudo su.

They encourage you to stay away from root shells, though.

I use kubuntu, mainly because that's what I started with, and nothing has made me want to switch.

Sollos

Postby Sollos » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:10 pm UTC

I use Arch Linux, it's community is great, along with it's philosophy and package manager. I loved when I first installed it, and had nothing but the basics, which was basically the package manager. I was then able to put only what I wanted on my system.

I used Zenwalk, but hated that the developers chose the one program which was used for a certain purpose. If you didn't like it, good luck, because support for anything else was poor. Ubuntu, eh. I don't like following mainstream things, I know it's not reasonable, but it's who I am, so that may be why I'm not comfy with using it, although I don't like that it's focusing on using GUI's for tasks, and doesn't allow me to build from scratch.

Dingbats

Postby Dingbats » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:43 pm UTC

e946 wrote:
d3adf001 wrote:

you mean sudo bash?

No, it's sudo su.

Both work.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:05 am UTC

There's only one way to settle this holy war: the "My Distro is Better" card game!

Xbehave

Postby Xbehave » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:49 am UTC

Dingbats wrote:
e946 wrote:
d3adf001 wrote:

you mean sudo bash?

No, it's sudo su.

Both work.

actually its sudo -i but all work its just that sudo bash is a whole extra 2 characters

i use ubuntu but im planing on moving away, i need a stable install of linux so i can play with another without it affecting my work. (i was planning on having a working windows install and falling back when i break ubuntu but windows just wont install for me).

I think ubuntu cant be beat for noobs and is exactly what linux needs! (well kubuntu but thats because kde is better than gnome for power users (that gap when windows hacks arnt quite enough but cli use is just too much) although for complete noobs gnome is better. )
I do however think it sucks, for linux gurus
6 month release cycle just keeps you 6-10 months behind fixes/updates
binary disto makes it harder to customise (although tbh if your going to compile stuff theyres nothing stoping you from doing it)
GENERATION 20: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:58 pm UTC

Sollos wrote:I used Zenwalk, but hated that the developers chose the one program which was used for a certain purpose. If you didn't like it, good luck, because support for anything else was poor. Ubuntu, eh. I don't like following mainstream things, I know it's not reasonable, but it's who I am, so that may be why I'm not comfy with using it, although I don't like that it's focusing on using GUI's for tasks, and doesn't allow me to build from scratch.

I don't think calling any Linux mainstream is even remotely accurate.

OOPMan

Postby OOPMan » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:27 am UTC

Hehehe...

I used Mandriva and the funny looks I get be damned :-)

enk

Postby enk » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:49 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:
Sollos wrote:I used Zenwalk, but hated that the developers chose the one program which was used for a certain purpose. If you didn't like it, good luck, because support for anything else was poor. Ubuntu, eh. I don't like following mainstream things, I know it's not reasonable, but it's who I am, so that may be why I'm not comfy with using it, although I don't like that it's focusing on using GUI's for tasks, and doesn't allow me to build from scratch.

I don't think calling any Linux mainstream is even remotely accurate.

I got into Linux originally to do server stuff with it but later when I got it on my laptop, I also felt like I was part of something non-mainstream. But at the same time my Ubuntu was mainstream inside this non-mainstream world. Alot of people feel pro while describing the ways Ubuntu is inferior to their advanced distro. But then again, should I care what they think? No.
phlip wrote:Ha HA! Recycled emacs jokes.

e946

Postby e946 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:52 am UTC

Important question: Will anybody deny that ubuntu is a great way to bring people into the world of linux, even if it does have some disadvantages?

Maptastic

Postby Maptastic » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:05 pm UTC

I've tried quite a few distros, and I've had far more success getting everything (WPA) working in Ubuntu than anything else.

It's basically the only distribution that I didn't have to remove after two weeks, and I'm quite happy with it.

magnum_opus

Postby magnum_opus » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:26 am UTC

e946 wrote:Important question: Will anybody deny that ubuntu is a great way to bring people into the world of linux, even if it does have some disadvantages?

Only with the stipulation that the system it's installed on is relatively modern < 2-3 years

I spent several weeks over christmas break using it (had to go wireless and it just wasn't working in arch no matter how hard i tried) with a machine that had 256 ram and a 1.6 celeron (the old ones not the pentium M kind), everytime i ran the graphical package manager (synaptic or the other one), or double clicked a .dpkg or the update applet started running my system pretty much ground to a halt, and that was in xfce not even the full blown gnome or kde.

not an experience i'd use to bring people into the fold.

e946

Postby e946 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:08 am UTC

magnum_opus wrote:machine that had 256 ram and a 1.6 celeron

*wince* Wow, that must have sucked. But ANY OS is going to run slowly on a computer that old.

Korandder
Location: LoadingReadyRun Australian Astrophysical Observatory

Postby Korandder » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:19 am UTC

e946 wrote:
magnum_opus wrote:machine that had 256 ram and a 1.6 celeron

*wince* Wow, that must have sucked. But most OS with guis is going to run slowly on a computer that old.

Return to “Religious Wars”