Distro Whores...I mean Distro Wars!

Please compose all posts in Emacs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

photosinensis
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:17 am UTC

Distro Whores...I mean Distro Wars!

Postby photosinensis » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:07 am UTC

Caldera OpenLinux is the greatest Gnu and Linux distribution ever. Discuss.
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning,
And my heart was filled with mournng, mourning for my dear amour.
"'Tis not possible!" I uttered, "Give me back my free hardcore!"
Quoth the server: 404.

User avatar
Korandder
Posts: 161
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:12 am UTC
Location: LoadingReadyRun Australian Astrophysical Observatory
Contact:

Re: Distro Whores...I mean Distro Wars!

Postby Korandder » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:30 am UTC

Ubuntu.
Image

User avatar
Infornographer
Dick-in-a-Casserole
Posts: 389
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:35 pm UTC
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Distro Whores...I mean Distro Wars!

Postby Infornographer » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:35 am UTC

Scientific Linux 4.4 for the win.
(Formerly Gnophilist)
Image

User avatar
d3adf001
Posts: 1000
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:27 pm UTC
Location: State College, PA
Contact:

Re: Distro Whores...I mean Distro Wars!

Postby d3adf001 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:28 am UTC

see this is what i hate. people dont explain their picks. i prefer slackware because its the most unix like and is simple and stable

User avatar
Infornographer
Dick-in-a-Casserole
Posts: 389
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:35 pm UTC
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Distro Whores...I mean Distro Wars!

Postby Infornographer » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:38 am UTC

If we had to use reason we couldn't call this a religious war, now could we?

Honestly, I use SL4.4 because I can only use SL4.4. Makes my contribution kind of nil. Honestly though, I'd probably use it out of habit. Maybe RHE, simply because SL4.4 came out of RHE.

I have no great contributions to this thread. :/.
(Formerly Gnophilist)
Image

User avatar
wing
the /b/slayer
Posts: 1876
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 5:56 am UTC

Re: Distro Whores...I mean Distro Wars!

Postby wing » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:42 am UTC

I use Ubanto. It takes a lot of poking and prodding out of the box to make it into what it should be. When support for this version ends, I'm probably going to move to Gentoo, because if I'm going to have to fiddle with it to make it good, I may as well fiddle with everything.
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

EvanED
Posts: 4331
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:28 am UTC
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Distro Whores...I mean Distro Wars!

Postby EvanED » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:04 am UTC

I use Gentoo, because that's what I know.

I started with Red Hat, and almost instantly moved to Mandrake because Red Hat didn't work with my (integrated) sound "card" and I wanted to see if Mandrake recognized it. I used that for a while, then went to FreeBSD on my machine. Used that for a while, then decided on Gentoo. I wanted one of the more "serious" distributions, but I didn't think I knew enough for Slackware and didn't want Debian. I've stuck with it because I like, and even though it's some work, the documentation is (comparably) fantastic.

User avatar
d3adf001
Posts: 1000
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:27 pm UTC
Location: State College, PA
Contact:

Re: Distro Whores...I mean Distro Wars!

Postby d3adf001 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:33 am UTC

wing wrote:I use Ubanto. It takes a lot of poking and prodding out of the box to make it into what it should be. When support for this version ends, I'm probably going to move to Gentoo, because if I'm going to have to fiddle with it to make it good, I may as well fiddle with everything.


idont know about that move. im currently running gentoo (due to a FS corruption and my lugs former president talked me into trying it) with a pentium M and emerging is SLOW. so unless you have modern hardware id say stick binary distros like slackware and arch. as soon as this filesystem breaks (probably never it took 3 years for it to break with slackware) i want to try arch. I still like slackware better tho. bsd style sysV is way better imo than true sysV.

photosinensis
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:17 am UTC

Re: Distro Whores...I mean Distro Wars!

Postby photosinensis » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:44 am UTC

Gentoo is for ricers.

My favorite quote on the true stupid that is the average Gentoo user:

"I don't think that Debian can really compete with Gentoo. Sure it might be okay, but when it comes to dependencies, you probably are still going to have to get them all on your own. Or is there something like portage in the Debian world as well?"


Seriously, nobody has the time to waste with Gentoo. Fuck it and stay with Debian/Ubuntu/other Debian derivative or just roll your own.
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning,
And my heart was filled with mournng, mourning for my dear amour.
"'Tis not possible!" I uttered, "Give me back my free hardcore!"
Quoth the server: 404.

EvanED
Posts: 4331
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:28 am UTC
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Distro Whores...I mean Distro Wars!

Postby EvanED » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:03 am UTC

photosinensis wrote:Gentoo is for ricers.

My favorite quote on the true stupid that is the average Gentoo user:

"I don't think that Debian can really compete with Gentoo. Sure it might be okay, but when it comes to dependencies, you probably are still going to have to get them all on your own. Or is there something like portage in the Debian world as well?"

I would be very careful before you generalize that to the "average Gentoo user" :roll:

I do like this one though:
To me, an extra 0.1% performance increase, even if I am only imagining it to be faster, is certainly worth one day a week recompiling all of the latest packages from source code.


Seriously, nobody has the time to waste with Gentoo.

I do. ;-) Sort of.

If I were to change distros it would probably be to Debian testing. I've played with Debian a little and it too is a fine distro, but the fairly limited experience I have is with Gentoo, so I will be sticking with it for the forseeable future. (And almost certainly FreeBSD on my server, for it will soon provide official support for ZFS.)

This page, linked from the one you linked to, describes me pretty well. Got fed up with Mandrake, wanted something better. I happened to choose Gentoo over Debian, but there's no innate reason. I sorta doubt the compiling from source is giving me much of a speed boost; overall it seems about on par with what I get in Windows. (Some things are faster, some things are slower.) Gentoo vs. Debian is, knowing what I know now, a "six of one, half-a-dozen of the other" kind of thing. (I have heard a number of Linuxy people say that they don't like Ubuntu though, so I would be hesitant to go there.)

photosinensis
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:17 am UTC

Re: Distro Whores...I mean Distro Wars!

Postby photosinensis » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:58 am UTC

EvanED wrote:
photosinensis wrote:Gentoo is for ricers.

My favorite quote on the true stupid that is the average Gentoo user:

"I don't think that Debian can really compete with Gentoo. Sure it might be okay, but when it comes to dependencies, you probably are still going to have to get them all on your own. Or is there something like portage in the Debian world as well?"

I would be very careful before you generalize that to the "average Gentoo user" :roll:


Normally I wouldn't do so, but in this context, it seemed like the right thing to do.
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning,
And my heart was filled with mournng, mourning for my dear amour.
"'Tis not possible!" I uttered, "Give me back my free hardcore!"
Quoth the server: 404.

User avatar
Amnesiasoft
Posts: 2573
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 4:28 am UTC
Location: Colorado
Contact:

Re: Distro Whores...I mean Distro Wars!

Postby Amnesiasoft » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:59 am UTC

I used to use Fedora, and for some reason, I'm the only person in the world who dislikes apt, and prefers yum. Though I've been using Ubuntu as my linux distro. It is nice having poor support for my wireless network card rather than non-existant support for it.

User avatar
d3adf001
Posts: 1000
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:27 pm UTC
Location: State College, PA
Contact:

Re: Distro Whores...I mean Distro Wars!

Postby d3adf001 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:34 pm UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:I used to use Fedora, and for some reason, I'm the only person in the world who dislikes apt, and prefers yum. Though I've been using Ubuntu as my linux distro. It is nice having poor support for my wireless network card rather than non-existant support for it.


First of all i hate apt,ym and yast and to a greater extent portage. Everytime i get a circular dependency i want to kill a puppy. Then when I fix one in portage i still have to compile it and risk it failing.packagetools is the best package manager ever, i just wish it would down load packages for you.

User avatar
JayDee
Posts: 3620
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:13 am UTC
Location: Most livable city in the world.
Contact:

Re: Distro Whores...I mean Distro Wars!

Postby JayDee » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:22 am UTC

I'm using Fedora, because it matches my hat.

Seriously, the thing I love about Linux and FOSS is that I can make my software decisions based on the coolness of the name. Hasn't steered me wrong yet.

User avatar
davean
Site Ninja
Posts: 2498
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:50 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Distro Whores...I mean Distro Wars!

Postby davean » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:50 am UTC

JayDee wrote:I'm using Fedora, because it matches my hat.

Seriously, the thing I love about Linux and FOSS is that I can make my software decisions based on the coolness of the name. Hasn't steered me wrong yet.


Yes you where, you are using RPM! And I don't mean xkcd.

User avatar
JayDee
Posts: 3620
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:13 am UTC
Location: Most livable city in the world.
Contact:

Re: Distro Whores...I mean Distro Wars!

Postby JayDee » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:47 am UTC

davean wrote:
JayDee wrote:I'm using Fedora, because it matches my hat.

Seriously, the thing I love about Linux and FOSS is that I can make my software decisions based on the coolness of the name. Hasn't steered me wrong yet.


Yes you where, you are using RPM! And I don't mean xkcd.

Not really, at least not on purpose. I generally compile from source.

User avatar
Ghorthas
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:08 am UTC
Location: Reality

Re: Distro Whores...I mean Distro Wars!

Postby Ghorthas » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:10 pm UTC

d3adf001 wrote:
wing wrote:I use Ubanto. It takes a lot of poking and prodding out of the box to make it into what it should be. When support for this version ends, I'm probably going to move to Gentoo, because if I'm going to have to fiddle with it to make it good, I may as well fiddle with everything.


idont know about that move. im currently running gentoo (due to a FS corruption and my lugs former president talked me into trying it) with a pentium M and emerging is SLOW. so unless you have modern hardware id say stick binary distros like slackware and arch. as soon as this filesystem breaks (probably never it took 3 years for it to break with slackware) i want to try arch. I still like slackware better tho. bsd style sysV is way better imo than true sysV.


I think any speed you gain by using a source based distro like Gentoo you more than lose in the time spent compiling it. Yeah, you gain a certain amount of speed in running applications, but how much time did you lose not using that app. while it was compiling? LFS and such are nice to play with if you have time and really want to build your own system from source. Although, other than that I personally stay away from source distros.

A lot of the dependency things you probably didn't like about aptitude are most likely because you never took the time to set it up. By default it usually installs recommended packages, and has some other settings that can do strange things sometimes. I love slackware, but it's not as easy to set up a system ready for my use as Debian is with aptitude. I had scripts and everything for building/installing packages, but I still have to find the source. I use Debian Sid and most things are already packaged for me. If I need to build things from source, that's fine I can do that to and roll my own debs. I have flexibility with Debian I am able to use the package manager if I like, or make my own packages or do straight 'make install' for apps. Not to mention, Slackware doesn't have a 64 bit version, yeah there's Slamd64 and such, but I was never satisfied with them. Arch is alright, although I found it poorly setup, and rather buggy/unstable. The default settings on some of the packages ie. apache were asinine. Pacman is the only cool thing I found in Arch, and that isn't even unique to Arch, other distros use pacman.

I don't entirely agree with you about BSD style v.s. SysV. They are just different paradigms, it's hard to say one is better than the other. People usually just LIKE one better than the other. I really used to hate SysV but since I've been using Debian, I've gotten used to it, and for the most part its just a bit different. I guess you could say BSD style is cleaner, but evens that's debatable.

HappySmileMan
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:46 pm UTC

Re: Distro Whores...I mean Distro Wars!

Postby HappySmileMan » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:21 pm UTC

I use Gentoo, not because I think it's better than Kubuntu, but I wanted to learn a lot about Linux so setting up a proper desktop in Gentoo helped a bit, and now that it's set up I just like the speed, and of the other distros I tried Ubuntu was the only one I really liked, but it integrated badly with KDE, since it focused mainly on GNOME, so speed and integration make me stay.

If my Gentoo install messed up somehow I think I'd probably just go to Kubuntu rather than set it up again, it was worth it for the learning I got, but I couldn't be bothered doing it again.

As for losing speed while compiling, I don't really see this, on a fairly good 5 year old PC (2.667Ghz, 512MB RAM) I compiled KDE-libs while having webcam chat and watching Black Books, the only thing I find unusable while compiling is Flash, so other than youtube I can do everything while compiling, and since I use Yakuake it doesn't even take up a window.

zenten
Posts: 3799
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:42 am UTC
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: Distro Whores...I mean Distro Wars!

Postby zenten » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:39 pm UTC

I use Ubuntu, and Debian. I like Debian a bit more on my headless server, and I like Ubuntu for stuff that needs recent graphical applications. And yes, I often have built from source on both, you can even include it in the package management system so when an upgrade comes along you get the recent version without having to build from source again.

EvanED
Posts: 4331
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:28 am UTC
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Distro Whores...I mean Distro Wars!

Postby EvanED » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:50 pm UTC

Ghorthas wrote:I think any speed you gain by using a source based distro like Gentoo you more than lose in the time spent compiling it. Yeah, you gain a certain amount of speed in running applications, but how much time did you lose not using that app. while it was compiling?

Yes, but you only have to compile once, and when you know you will want a program in the future you can do it beforehand and that time becomes almost free. If compiling myself makes programs more responsive or something, but I have to walk away and clean my apartment, go to school, sleep, or just surf the internet for a few minutes while it compiles, that's a worthwhile tradeoff.

Now, I don't think gentoo actually gives you much of this, at least the way I have it configured, but it's a nice theory. ;-)

User avatar
Ghorthas
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:08 am UTC
Location: Reality

Re: Distro Whores...I mean Distro Wars!

Postby Ghorthas » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:12 pm UTC

The larger point isn't just that you lose some processor power compiling software, but overall the time you spent fiddle farting around waiting for that app to compile. Even though you could do other things the time it takes to compile. Basically compiling the software negates any speed gains you get from compiling the app in most Desktops, specialized servers, and workstations can be another matter. The computer / you still have to spend that time compiling it, whether you're using the computer while it happens or not. Basically you have an opportunity cost, your computer could be using its resources to do things other than compile the basic application you want for your computer. Either way whether the computer is being used inefficiently, you could be using that processor power to do something else. In the time is takes to compile major components of a source distro you could already be using most of the applications you like on a binary distro. If you really think that a certain application runs better when it's compiled from source, why not use a binary distro and just compile that _single_ app from source? You can have the best of both worlds. I think a balance is better than an extreme in either direction. I have software built from source, and from binary packages on my box.

In some specialized environments it makes sense to compile everything yourself. It can even be a necessity. However, for the average desktop, source distros are not the way to go. Especially if you think about the fact that you may have to leave your computer on to compile software when you would have otherwise turned it off, thus not only wasting CPU cycles, but power as well. IMO people should not waste more electricity than is necessary. Leaving a computer on to compile software that could be installed nearly instantaneously on a binary distro is a bit ridiculous IMO. If you can use your time like that waiting for something to compile, you could use your time to install a binary distro. It'd probably be installed before large software packages like KDE compiled, and hey it would probably already have KDE installed.

On my box I can install slackware in about 10 minutes, debian takes a bit longer at 15. I doubt you compile every component of KDE in 10 minutes while multitasking on a 2.66 single core box. Even if you could, you could not compile all the applications that get installed with a binary distro in the 10 minutes it takes me to install them. I know on older machines it takes a bit longer, but on my 266 mhz laptop I installed Debian in about 45 minutes, and that is much faster than it would take to install a source distro on a faster machine. (By install I mean have a completely set up Desktop, not just a base system)


You only have to compile once if you never update you machine again. The speed increase is marginal, in most cases anyways. IT'S JUST NOT WORTH IT!

EvanED
Posts: 4331
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:28 am UTC
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Distro Whores...I mean Distro Wars!

Postby EvanED » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:42 pm UTC

Ghorthas wrote:The larger point isn't just that you lose some processor power compiling software, but overall the time you spent fiddle farting around waiting for that app to compile. Even though you could do other things the time it takes to compile. Basically compiling the software negates any speed gains you get from compiling the app in most Desktops, specialized servers, and workstations can be another matter. The computer / you still have to spend that time compiling it, whether you're using the computer while it happens or not. Basically you have an opportunity cost, your computer could be using its resources to do things other than compile the basic application you want for your computer. Either way whether the computer is being used inefficiently, you could be using that processor power to do something else.

But that "something else" would usually be "sit there idle".

If you really think that a certain application runs better when it's compiled from source, why not use a binary distro and just compile that _single_ app from source?

The nice thing about something like Gentoo is that it also compiles all the libraries from source. So if there is actually a speed benefit, compiling glibc, the KDE libraries, etc. benefit all applications.

Now, you can say compile all the libraries, but manually doing that would be a lot of work that Gentoo does automatically.

You only have to compile once if you never update you machine again. The speed increase is marginal, in most cases anyways. IT'S JUST NOT WORTH IT!

Anyway, like I said before, I don't use Gentoo because I feel it gives me a speed boost. I chose Gentoo largely randomly, and because I thought it would be a good distribution to use to actually learn something about Linux, and it was. Would Debian have been better? I don't know, but I strongly doubt they'd be much different. Would Slackware have been better? Possibly, but my understanding is it would have been at the expense of manual dependence checking, which was what pissed me off about Red Hat and Mandrake and made me leave them in the first place. (This was before Yum was packaged with them, or at least before I knew about it.) I continue to use Gentoo because I like it and it's what I know, at least somewhat.

photosinensis
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:17 am UTC

Re: Distro Whores...I mean Distro Wars!

Postby photosinensis » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:52 pm UTC

EvanED wrote:But that "something else" would usually be "sit there idle".


Cure cancer, n00b.

Of course, if building everything from source really gets you off, apt-src is there for you.

In short, Debian > Gentoo. Anyone using the latter is delusional.
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning,
And my heart was filled with mournng, mourning for my dear amour.
"'Tis not possible!" I uttered, "Give me back my free hardcore!"
Quoth the server: 404.

HappySmileMan
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:46 pm UTC

Re: Distro Whores...I mean Distro Wars!

Postby HappySmileMan » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:45 pm UTC

photosinensis wrote:
EvanED wrote:But that "something else" would usually be "sit there idle".


Cure cancer, n00b.

In short, Debian > Gentoo. Anyone using the latter is delusional.


I use the latter because after I finished setting it up as a learning exercise for myself I found it perfectly easy to use and realised it'd take less effort to maintain it than to switch back.

photosinensis
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:17 am UTC

Re: Distro Whores...I mean Distro Wars!

Postby photosinensis » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:21 pm UTC

HappySmileMan wrote:
I use the latter because after I finished setting it up as a learning exercise for myself I found it perfectly easy to use and realised it'd take less effort to maintain it than to switch back.


1. Let me hear you say that when something breaks because you've emerged something that was built out of subversion.

2. Learning exercise? What did you learn? That GCC does a lot of stuff when it goes flying by? Sorry, I'm not buying it.
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning,
And my heart was filled with mournng, mourning for my dear amour.
"'Tis not possible!" I uttered, "Give me back my free hardcore!"
Quoth the server: 404.

User avatar
Ghorthas
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:08 am UTC
Location: Reality

Re: Distro Whores...I mean Distro Wars!

Postby Ghorthas » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:48 am UTC

I usually don't just sit at my computer idle when I'm using it, and I do run F@H on my box when I'm not using the proc. power if I'm not using it myself. So like photosinensis said, cure cancer or rather help to find the conformation of proteins that affect a myriad of diseases. If I'm at my computer I'm using it, to take notes from a book I'm reading, to do school work, or to compile _my_ source code.

I don't like the immature Dev flame wars that Gentoo has as well. They act ridiculously and that is enough reason for me not to use it.

I've used every major distro out there, I started on slackware. I also have some extra boxes laying around that I just try new disto's on. With all that I've played with I like Debian the best. Well I like Slackware a lot too, but I have much much more flexibility with my base system with Debian. There are just more packages to choose from in Debian.

I don't think Source distros are bad, I just think they're a waste of time for the average Desktop. Unless you have custom computational software or you're running a special cluster I see no point in source based distros, and even in a cluster you probably wouldn't compile the system on each individual node.

HappySmileMan
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:46 pm UTC

Re: Distro Whores...I mean Distro Wars!

Postby HappySmileMan » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:37 pm UTC

photosinensis wrote:
HappySmileMan wrote:
I use the latter because after I finished setting it up as a learning exercise for myself I found it perfectly easy to use and realised it'd take less effort to maintain it than to switch back.


1. Let me hear you say that when something breaks because you've emerged something that was built out of subversion.

2. Learning exercise? What did you learn? That GCC does a lot of stuff when it goes flying by? Sorry, I'm not buying it.


1. Hasn't happened yet, but as I already said, if/when it does break I won't bother setting it up again, just install Debian/Kubuntu.

2. I'll admit I didn't learn that much, compared to what i expected to, but I did learn more than on Ubuntu, I learned about compiler optimisations, and where the files go when they're installed (I had no idea what "/usr" and "/bin" etc. was in ubuntu, other than that they're important, I had no idea what went where.). There's probably more stuff I've learned that i can't think of, it also got me used to the terminal but that's not really learning persé.

zenten
Posts: 3799
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:42 am UTC
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: Distro Whores...I mean Distro Wars!

Postby zenten » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:46 pm UTC

I do have to say that one problem I have with Ubuntu is that a lot of the graphical system utilities break when you start trying to restrict sudo.

photosinensis
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:17 am UTC

Re: Distro Whores...I mean Distro Wars!

Postby photosinensis » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:57 pm UTC

HappySmileMan wrote:I'll admit I didn't learn that much, compared to what i expected to, but I did learn more than on Ubuntu, I learned about compiler optimisations, and where the files go when they're installed (I had no idea what "/usr" and "/bin" etc. was in ubuntu, other than that they're important, I had no idea what went where.). There's probably more stuff I've learned that i can't think of, it also got me used to the terminal but that's not really learning persé.


That's because you weren't paying attention. They're all right there. It took some programming time to learn about compiler optimizations, actually--and until you've built and benchmarked your own code, you really don't have a grasp about what those optimizations are really doing.

As for not knowing about /usr/ and /bin/, dude, the path tells you exactly where it is: look in the root directory. 'm suspecting you never looked too closely at that Ubuntu install you had going, or didn't use it for long.

Yes, I'm hating on Gentoo. It's honestly a stupid idea, building everything from source.
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning,
And my heart was filled with mournng, mourning for my dear amour.
"'Tis not possible!" I uttered, "Give me back my free hardcore!"
Quoth the server: 404.

User avatar
Dingbats
Posts: 921
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:46 pm UTC
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Distro Whores...I mean Distro Wars!

Postby Dingbats » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:48 pm UTC

photosinensis wrote:As for not knowing about /usr/ and /bin/, dude, the path tells you exactly where it is: look in the root directory. 'm suspecting you never looked too closely at that Ubuntu install you had going, or didn't use it for long.

He did say he didn't know what they were though, not where :roll:

User avatar
crazyjimbo
Posts: 887
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:45 pm UTC
Location: Durham, England
Contact:

Re: Distro Whores...I mean Distro Wars!

Postby crazyjimbo » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:05 pm UTC

Everyone is so hung up on speed, yet no one actually uses Gentoo because they think it's quicker. They use it for the fact that it is a great distribution, with good documentation and has a decent (and importantly not noobish) community. Not to mention that compiling from source has benefits other than speed.

One of the nice things about Gentoo is that you have to choose your use flags so you don't automatically get every feature built in. In fact, you get bugger all to begin with. By selecting your own use flags, and therefore only compiling the features (not just programs) that you want, you have more control over your system. Does this speed things up? Maybe, but control is what it is really all about. Us geeks like control. We like to feel like we are bending and shaping computers how we want them and not just blindly follow the herd. When your Gentoo system is built, you know what packages are in there, you know what features each package has, and hell, if you're paying attention, you know where the programmer forgot to type cast his variables. And that's worth something. It's worth at least a day of compiling.

By taking the mentality of 'you build your own system', Gentoo perhaps doesn't improve performance, and sure doesn't improve speed of installation, but it is still a damn good distro and doesn't pretend to be anything it's not.

User avatar
d3adf001
Posts: 1000
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:27 pm UTC
Location: State College, PA
Contact:

Re: Distro Whores...I mean Distro Wars!

Postby d3adf001 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:20 pm UTC

photosinensis you are correct, gentoo has taught me nothing. they have great docs tho but with slackware, i learned almost everything from trial and error

User avatar
davean
Site Ninja
Posts: 2498
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:50 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Distro Whores...I mean Distro Wars!

Postby davean » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:07 pm UTC

crazyjimbo wrote:One of the nice things about Gentoo is that you have to choose your use flags so you don't automatically get every feature built in. In fact, you get bugger all to begin with. By selecting your own use flags, and therefore only compiling the features (not just programs) that you want, you have more control over your system. Does this speed things up? Maybe, but control is what it is really all about. Us geeks like control. We like to feel like we are bending and shaping computers how we want them and not just blindly follow theh herd. When your Gentoo system is built, you know what packages are in there, you know what features each package has, and hell, if you're paying attention, you know where the programmer forgot to type cast his variables. And that's worth something. It's worth at least a day of compiling.


Hah, you miss the reason I actually have a computer using Gentoo. Use flags are good, but the difference between a computer pulling down 6 watts and a computer pulling down 12 watts is huge. Thats the difference between the nice spiffy, customized to hell Gentoo I had that could run happily in 40MBs of RAM and didn't use HW it didn't need the Ubuntu install I have now that I've gone to see what it is like. Never mind that the UI responsiveness of Ubuntu is ... rather crappy. In low power mode my Gentoo install was never that slow to respond.

Thats like a 5 hour difference in battery life. It is the difference between needing to carry a power cable and just hiking out of town and sitting on a hill doing a fulls day's work.

User avatar
d3adf001
Posts: 1000
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:27 pm UTC
Location: State College, PA
Contact:

Re: Distro Whores...I mean Distro Wars!

Postby d3adf001 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:16 pm UTC

davean wrote:Hah, you miss the reason I actually have a computer using Gentoo. Use flags are good, but the difference between a computer pulling down 6 watts and a computer pulling down 12 watts is huge. Thats the difference between the nice spiffy, customized to hell Gentoo I had that could run happily in 40MBs of RAM and didn't use HW it didn't need the Ubuntu install I have now that I've gone to see what it is like. Never mind that the UI responsiveness of Ubuntu is ... rather crappy. In low power mode my Gentoo install was never that slow to respond.

Thats like a 5 hour difference in battery life. It is the difference between needing to carry a power cable and just hiking out of town and sitting on a hill doing a fulls day's work.


That sir is bullshit to the highest degree. So you mean compiling saves energy? somehow your processor decreases its power use by 50%? I call bullshit on the 50%. maybe 2% but i dont see it going that far.

User avatar
davean
Site Ninja
Posts: 2498
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:50 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Distro Whores...I mean Distro Wars!

Postby davean » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:21 pm UTC

d3adf001 wrote:That sir is bullshit to the highest degree. So you mean compiling saves energy? somehow your processor decreases its power use by 50%? I call bullshit on the 50%. maybe 2% but i dont see it going that far.


Hah, you know how much it costs to keep RAM powered up? How much each extra cycle costs you? How much each disk hit costs? How much the very minimalistic HW profile that adapts dynamically to needs helps? No, 50% is not particularly impressive. Those numbers weren't Religious war exaggerations or bias views, those are the actual hard numbers I'm pulling from my battery and seeing reflected in run time. Ubuntu has so much needless stuff going on, HW being active when it isn't needed, all sorts of things. Its crazy for a laptop. If you aren't using the audio card, why is it powered up? And, why have Binaries take up 400MBs of RAM when they can take up 40, thats a lot less frequent disk accesses.

User avatar
Flying Betty
Posts: 1147
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:25 am UTC
Location: Next Tuesday

Re: Distro Whores...I mean Distro Wars!

Postby Flying Betty » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:34 pm UTC

Ubuntu, because I am a mindless follower and the wireless almost works in my laptop.
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

User avatar
crazyjimbo
Posts: 887
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:45 pm UTC
Location: Durham, England
Contact:

Re: Distro Whores...I mean Distro Wars!

Postby crazyjimbo » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:03 pm UTC

davean wrote:Hah, you miss the reason I actually have a computer using Gentoo.


No, I didn't. I just didn't explicitly list it :)

All the people bashing Gentoo for not being faster are missing the reason for using. Because whatever that reason is, it isn't speed.

Also, Ubuntu sucks. Probably an unpopular opinion, but meh. It seems to miss every point that there is.

zenten
Posts: 3799
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:42 am UTC
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: Distro Whores...I mean Distro Wars!

Postby zenten » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:14 pm UTC

crazyjimbo wrote:
Also, Ubuntu sucks. Probably an unpopular opinion, but meh. It seems to miss every point that there is.


It's the second most popular opinion on Ubuntu. The most popular being that Ubuntu is an operating system, that has some similarity to this "Linux" thing.

It's almost as accurate too.

User avatar
crazyjimbo
Posts: 887
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:45 pm UTC
Location: Durham, England
Contact:

Re: Distro Whores...I mean Distro Wars!

Postby crazyjimbo » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:16 pm UTC

zenten wrote:
crazyjimbo wrote:
Also, Ubuntu sucks. Probably an unpopular opinion, but meh. It seems to miss every point that there is.


It's the second most popular opinion on Ubuntu.


That's not saying much if the only opinions are it sucks or it doesn't. :)

zenten
Posts: 3799
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:42 am UTC
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: Distro Whores...I mean Distro Wars!

Postby zenten » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:19 pm UTC

crazyjimbo wrote:
zenten wrote:
crazyjimbo wrote:
Also, Ubuntu sucks. Probably an unpopular opinion, but meh. It seems to miss every point that there is.


It's the second most popular opinion on Ubuntu.


That's not saying much if the only opinions are it sucks or it doesn't. :)


No, the most popular opinion is that Ubuntu is a unique operating system. The second most common opinion is that it is a crappy distro.


Return to “Religious Wars”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests