Other
26%

Total votes: 246

d3adf001

Re: Desktops and UIs

Postby d3adf001 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:31 pm UTC

SimonM wrote:GNOME

Its so easy to get used to. End of

was that a joke? have you ever used nautilus? its horrible. keeps opening up new windows. but thank got they added window snap. i cant use a wm/de with out windowsnap.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:41 pm UTC

d3adf001 wrote:

was that a joke? have you ever used nautilus? its horrible. keeps opening up new windows. but thank got they added window snap. i cant use a wm/de with out windowsnap.

Agreed. Gnome irritates me. And I think GTK is fairly ugly. (GTK2 isn't terrible, but GTK1 was ugly as sin.)

zenten

Postby zenten » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:24 pm UTC

EvanED wrote:
d3adf001 wrote:

Agreed. Gnome irritates me. And I think GTK is fairly ugly. (GTK2 isn't terrible, but GTK1 was ugly as sin.)

I think it's pretty.

Unlike what KDE uses *shudder*.

d3adf001

Postby d3adf001 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:23 pm UTC

zenten wrote:
EvanED wrote:
d3adf001 wrote:

I think it's pretty.

Unlike what KDE uses *shudder*.

KDEs default theme IS ugly. but there are good themes for it unlike metacity. on a side note kde uses QT

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:05 am UTC

For just tooling around, I use Gnome. I don't like it, though.

I'm working on the ultimate xmonad setup. I like xmonad a lot. It's just a matter of bringing over the GUI tools that make life on a laptop livable.... Namely a fucking graphical network manager (No, I refuse to use iwconfig from the fucking commandline) and a battery life indicator. One I get those two things settled, xmonad becomes the default and Gnome is what I use when someone ELSE needs to use my laptop. In fact, I just had a brilliant idea. Why don't I just gank the ones that Gnome uses?

brb, fiddling with my xmonad.
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

Infornographer
Dick-in-a-Casserole

Postby Infornographer » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:44 am UTC

How has nobody mentioned Compiz Fusion?
(Formerly Gnophilist)

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:52 am UTC

xmonad + some random gnome chunks = WIN AND A HALF. I'd take a screenshot, but I haven't integrated that ability yet.
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

Dingbats

Postby Dingbats » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:51 am UTC

Gnophilist wrote:How has nobody mentioned Compiz Fusion?

I use it, and it works and looks fine, except a couple of bugs with title bars messing up a little and Java apps using Swing not working properly without workarounds.

photosinensis

Postby photosinensis » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:46 am UTC

Compiz Fusion is not a desktop environment. It's a window and compositing manager that works as a drop-in replacement for Metacity/Kwin/Xfwm/whatever else you may be using. Not everybody runs on the Fluxbox/Enlightenment principle that the window manager has to be a complete desktop system, too.
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning,
And my heart was filled with mournng, mourning for my dear amour.
"'Tis not possible!" I uttered, "Give me back my free hardcore!"
Quoth the server: 404.

davean
Site Ninja

Postby davean » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:35 pm UTC

They where all hoping no one would remind them of it's pained existence.

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:39 am UTC

Seriously. It looks cool. About 10 minutes later that gets old and you realize how damned slow your computer is running because of it.

rwald

Postby rwald » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:19 am UTC

wing wrote:For just tooling around, I use Gnome. I don't like it, though.

I'm working on the ultimate xmonad setup. I like xmonad a lot. It's just a matter of bringing over the GUI tools that make life on a laptop livable.... Namely a fucking graphical network manager (No, I refuse to use iwconfig from the fucking commandline) and a battery life indicator. One I get those two things settled, xmonad becomes the default and Gnome is what I use when someone ELSE needs to use my laptop. In fact, I just had a brilliant idea. Why don't I just gank the ones that Gnome uses?

I'll consider using xmonad as soon as it has titlebars. Seriously, if you've got 10 PDFs open, how are you supposed to tell which is which? Or if you've got too many tabs in Firefox to see the current tab's name in the tab bar, how do you read the title? I want to use xmonad, I really do, but it just lacks too many features.

Pobega

Postby Pobega » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:48 am UTC

GUI? I don't think I've touched a GUI in months.

I've been using GNU Screen in TTY1, running:
Finch - Instant Messaging
w3m - WWW browsing
tf - MUD Client (Gaming)
Mutt - e-mail
mocp - ogg player
snownews - RSS reader
tcsh - My shell of choice
nethack - Another great game

And a bunch of other tools. Seriously, I've found everything I could ever need in the terminal; Oh, and GPM for copying/pasting quickly.

HappySmileMan

Postby HappySmileMan » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:00 pm UTC

Pobega wrote:GUI? I don't think I've touched a GUI in months.

w3m - WWW browsing
tf - MUD Client (Gaming)
Mutt - e-mail
mocp - ogg player
snownews - RSS reader

And a bunch of other tools. Seriously, I've found everything I could ever need in the terminal; Oh, and GPM for copying/pasting quickly.

You could've just used emacs and had all that and more.

I noticed I'm the only KDE guy here :(

Pobega

Postby Pobega » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:10 pm UTC

HappySmileMan wrote:
Pobega wrote:GUI? I don't think I've touched a GUI in months.

w3m - WWW browsing
tf - MUD Client (Gaming)
Mutt - e-mail
mocp - ogg player
snownews - RSS reader

You could've just used emacs and had all that and more.

I guess I also forgot to mention I'm a ViM guy; I even have W3M composing my posts in ViM. I can't stand Emacs keybindings, I just find ViM's so much easier to use.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:48 pm UTC

HappySmileMan wrote:You could've just used emacs and had all that and more.

This isn't true. When I'm in Linux, I'm in KDE.

Though largely out of a "Gnome irritates me, and I don't have the time to learn how to configure <insert other WM, such as Fluxbox> here to the point where it's usable, and want Compiz-fusion to work" standpoint.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:34 pm UTC

EvanED wrote:
HappySmileMan wrote:You could've just used emacs and had all that and more.

This isn't true. When I'm in Linux, I'm in KDE.

Though largely out of a "Gnome irritates me, and I don't have the time to learn how to configure <insert other WM, such as Fluxbox> here to the point where it's usable, and want Compiz-fusion to work" standpoint.

I'm also a KDE user, for now. Once I get to the point where I've thought about what I want from a GUI, I'll learn how to configure something obscure.

FACM

Postby FACM » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:19 pm UTC

Currently using KDE. Waiting for KDE4. I'm fairly comfortable in most any GUI/DE, though. I'm more concerned with the software I'm running than what shape/color the 'close window' box is. As long as I can run Firefox, some AIM client, WoW, and a music player with a library function, I'm set. KDE, XP, OSX, whatever. They all run what I want.

I've been tempted to try GNU Screen, but it won't run WoW. And if it did, I'd hate to see WoW run in ASCII mode.

Anpheus
I can't get any worse, can I?

Postby Anpheus » Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:26 am UTC

I like Compiz-Fusion only for the fact that it integrates a lot of complicated window and virtual desktop management into a single, easy to understand paradigm. I could use virtual desktops without being able to spin around a floating cube, but it takes a lot longer to get used to the current setup I'm using, and the ability to spin it and look at multiple desktops at the same time, or hit a single key and see all four (or more) desktops simultaneously... that's too good not to use.
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

/###\_________/###\
  |#################|
  \#################/
   |##┌         ┐##|
   |##  (¯`v´¯)  ##|
   |##  `\ ♥ /´  ##|
   |##   `\¸/´   ##|
   |##└         ┘##|
  /#################\
  |#################|
  \###/¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯\###/

b.i.o

Postby b.i.o » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:23 am UTC

Ugh. Why does every UI for Linux I've tried suck? Nothing has come even close to comparing to bbLean with bbInterface.

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:44 am UTC

rwald wrote:
wing wrote:For just tooling around, I use Gnome. I don't like it, though.

I'll consider using xmonad as soon as it has titlebars. Seriously, if you've got 10 PDFs open, how are you supposed to tell which is which? Or if you've got too many tabs in Firefox to see the current tab's name in the tab bar, how do you read the title? I want to use xmonad, I really do, but it just lacks too many features.
See, that's one of the things I love about xmonad. The lack of title bars (and the fact that, on any sane display, you run out of screen real estate at about 4-6 windows at a time) forces you to think about what's IMPORTANT to keep open, and to utilize workspaces effectively. It is quite irritating though when an applicatioin developer decided that they didn't need to add any close function to their program at all - everyone would just click the X up in the corner.

adlaiff6

Postby adlaiff6 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:45 pm UTC

I used ion3 when I had a 30" monitor (15 terminals!), but I feel bad using it because of the dev. I wish xmonad wasn't so restrictive, else I'd be using that (plus haskell is sexy).
3.14159265... wrote:What about quantization? we DO live in a integer world?

crp wrote:oh, i thought you meant the entire funtion was f(n) = (-1)^n
i's like girls u crazy

rwald

Postby rwald » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:39 am UTC

wing wrote:See, that's one of the things I love about xmonad. The lack of title bars (and the fact that, on any sane display, you run out of screen real estate at about 4-6 windows at a time) forces you to think about what's IMPORTANT to keep open, and to utilize workspaces effectively. It is quite irritating though when an applicatioin developer decided that they didn't need to add any close function to their program at all - everyone would just click the X up in the corner.

I don't want an X button -- a "close current window" keyboard shortcut is enough. All I want the titlebar to do is give me the title. The more that I think about it, the more I realize the Firefox example is most relevant. I generally have no fewer than 10 tabs open at any time, so each tab only shows the first word or so of the title. The only way to see the tab's actual title is to either hover my mouse over the tab or switch to it and look at the titlebar. Since I have keyboard shortcuts to switch tabs, I can do the latter without ever touching the mouse; the former requires moving and hovering, a rather finicky task.

d3adf001

Postby d3adf001 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:01 pm UTC

no poll and i was more intrested in qt/gtk

Hammer
Because all of you look like nails.

Postby Hammer » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:31 am UTC

d3adf001 wrote:no poll and i was more intrested in qt/gtk

Then start a thread about that instead of kde, gnome, etc. and I'll let it stand.
"What's wrong with you mathematicians? Cake is never a problem."

d3adf001

Postby d3adf001 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:53 am UTC

Hammer wrote:

Then start a thread about that instead of kde, gnome, etc. and I'll let it stand.

i did and you closed it. notice the option about likeing the other?

Hammer
Because all of you look like nails.

Postby Hammer » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:55 am UTC

d3adf001 wrote:
Hammer wrote:

i did and you closed it. notice the option about likeing the other?

I believe that's the one you titled "kde vs gnome vs xfce vs whatever ". And I just noticed the nasty poll option on your new thread and Boneyarded that too. Since you are having trouble getting a handle on your attitude, I'm going to go talk to a higher level mod about giving you a timeout.
"What's wrong with you mathematicians? Cake is never a problem."

Xbehave

Postby Xbehave » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:44 am UTC

kde all the way,
ive tried quite a few and although i quite like a few of the alternative WM, the memory savings are minimal so i normally end up back in a full kde enviroment as ive twerked it to my needs.

sometimes i do go full fluxbox tho and find it quite refreshing as i get a slight speed increase and a less cluterd fealing!
GENERATION 20: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:59 am UTC

I'm a KDE guy, as I'm not a fan of a few details of gnome. I haven't really given other UIs a try, though. I should.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:54 pm UTC

KDE seems pretty ugly to me. Then again, I'm against the current trend of making UIs bigger, like huge buttons or text for a "Web 2.0 style" site. I've managed to get a nice theme going for my GNOME, so I'm good with that. Has anybody used Enlightenment? I'm thinking about using it, but I'd rather get some opinions before I install it.
It's okay, I'm Chaotic Neutral. I can kill him over the loot.
Overexposure to pieaholicx may, in semi-rare cases, emancipate dental fillings, crowns, tooth enamel, and teeth.

d3adf001

Postby d3adf001 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:33 pm UTC

pieaholicx wrote:KDE seems pretty ugly to me. Then again, I'm against the current trend of making UIs bigger, like huge buttons or text for a "Web 2.0 style" site. I've managed to get a nice theme going for my GNOME, so I'm good with that. Has anybody used Enlightenment? I'm thinking about using it, but I'd rather get some opinions before I install it.

ya the big look is lame but i changed it in kde. also e17 is vaporware. last time i tried to compile it in 05 or 06 it didnt work

Zanik221

Postby Zanik221 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:12 pm UTC

pieaholicx wrote:Has anybody used Enlightenment? I'm thinking about using it, but I'd rather get some opinions before I install it.

I'm running E17 right now. It took a bit of time to get used to a few of it's quirks, and it's still not 100% stable(The volume module, in particular, is very unstable). I do miss the alpha transparency I had in XFCE, but that's all. My favorite thing is how customizable it is. You can bind just about any function, including moving the mouse, to the keyboard. Being on a laptop, I love not having to use my trackpad.

It's fast, pretty, and doesn't need a mouse. I call that a winner.

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:04 am UTC

Okay, well I have GNOME, KDE, XFCE, and E17 installed on my system. So far I'm like GNOME the most, though XFCE is nice. The problem I have with it is that I can't find a way to tell it that my mouse is a touchpad and that I do not want it to touch-to-click.
It's okay, I'm Chaotic Neutral. I can kill him over the loot.
Overexposure to pieaholicx may, in semi-rare cases, emancipate dental fillings, crowns, tooth enamel, and teeth.

Nya

Postby Nya » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:52 am UTC

KDE is the finest Desktop Environment that Linux has to offer right now.

I had to use GNOME for a while and I didn't like it's lack of configurability. Yup, Linus is a troll, but I still agree with most of his points regarding GNOME.
Every time I see GNOME's configuration options I understand why Ubuntu is using it as it's default WM. It's a simple user-friendly WM but it surely lacks many features that a power-user needs (From the simplest, 'Send Inputs to All Sections' Konsole option, to the greatly configuratable and feature-rich KDE's default media player, Amarok, in comparison with Rhythmbox.)

As far as the other window managers are concerned (Fluxbox, Openbox, Enlightenment, IceWM, ctwm, you name it), I find them useful only in old-hardware computers. Yeah, they can look cool, like the desktops in The Bourne Identity if you twerk them a bit, but what's the point of using a lib-independent WM when with the opening of the essential (nowadays) Firefox you will have to load libgnome? Yes, you can easily avoid Qt/GTK/Whatever dependent applications, but would that be productive?

Finally, note that talking about the "best" UI means that we have the computer specs needed to use that UI in it's full potential. If that's not the case, then I have to add that in my 128MB RAM, 777Mhz CPU laptop, I'm not running KDE (It can handle it but it would freeze a bit here and there, and that annoyed me), but XFCE. I replaced Firefox with Opera (which has less memory leaks), Amarok with mpg123 and cplay, Thunderbird with mutt, rtorrent stayed rtorrent, and blah blah blah. I also switched my source-based distro of choice to a binary-based one, to avoid burning my laptop with continuous compilations.
Why, why, why! Because it's all logic and reason now. Science, progress, laws of hydraulics, laws of social dynamics, laws of this, that, and the other. No place for three-legged cyclops in the South Seas. No place for cucumber trees and oceans of wine.

xyzzy
Meta-Titled

Postby xyzzy » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:48 pm UTC

Silver2Falcon wrote:Ugh. Why does every UI for Linux I've tried suck? Nothing has come even close to comparing to bbLean with bbInterface.

Tried blackbox?

I have quark running at the moment, which really is utterly awesome. It's just wonderful, the way it does things. Not quite perfect, but very good. Windowlab is also nice, and I'm a fan of Sawfish and Enlightenment.
"Wile E. Coyote was a theoretical mathematician." - Leliel
"Modern life can be so boring without elements of the bizarre or the fantastical. Hence, we have steampunk." - Me

b.i.o

Postby b.i.o » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:09 am UTC

xyzzy wrote:
Silver2Falcon wrote:Ugh. Why does every UI for Linux I've tried suck? Nothing has come even close to comparing to bbLean with bbInterface.

Tried blackbox?

I have quark running at the moment, which really is utterly awesome. It's just wonderful, the way it does things. Not quite perfect, but very good. Windowlab is also nice, and I'm a fan of Sawfish and Enlightenment.

Yes, and I find it lacking compared to bbLean, ironically enough.

xyzzy
Meta-Titled

Postby xyzzy » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:45 pm UTC

Silver2Falcon wrote:
xyzzy wrote:

Tried blackbox?

Yes, and I find it lacking compared to bbLean, ironically enough.

Hm. Fluxbox maybe? As for something completely different, Sawfish is quite interesting, and some of the tiling managers are downright neat.
"Wile E. Coyote was a theoretical mathematician." - Leliel
"Modern life can be so boring without elements of the bizarre or the fantastical. Hence, we have steampunk." - Me

Hurduser

Postby Hurduser » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:39 am UTC

zenten wrote:I like gnome. I don't care if you think it's too bloated. Fluxbox just isn't usable.

I use Fluxbox on my craptop (75MHz, 40 MB of RAM) and like it :)
Frag mal nach im IRC
'zum Kotzen' das heisst dort XP.
Win2k, nur so zum staunen,
hat mehr Bugs als nur zweitausend.

Anpheus
I can't get any worse, can I?

Postby Anpheus » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:40 pm UTC

That's almost enough RAM to cache a page or two in Firefox.
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

/###\_________/###\
  |#################|
  \#################/
   |##┌         ┐##|
   |##  (¯`v´¯)  ##|
   |##  `\ ♥ /´  ##|
   |##   `\¸/´   ##|
   |##└         ┘##|
  /#################\
  |#################|
  \###/¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯\###/

Memo

Postby Memo » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:49 pm UTC

xfce. If only because it actually runs as fast as windows xp on my pc.

Return to “Religious Wars”