Mount Saint Awesome

Think your art is better or your stick figures worse? Got a link to a site you want to share? Post it here!

Moderators: Jacque, Moderators General, Prelates

DorkRawk

Mount Saint Awesome

Postby DorkRawk » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:46 pm UTC

So I just launched my first comic last Friday. It's called Mount Saint Awesome and it's about a couple of people in their mid 20's who want to get back into playing in a band.

Check it out at http://mountsaintawesome.com

Helpful critiques are certainly welcome!

Omegaton

Re: Mount Saint Awesome

Postby Omegaton » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:25 pm UTC

Pro-tip (this comes from the writers of How to Make Webcomics): Wait until you have 30 strips up before you start advertising your strip. There is not enough here to get a good idea of what you're going for or to make new readers want to stay. This is especially the case with your comic where it appears you have not finalized the style of your comic; none of the three comics so far look alike.

Some comments on speech bubbles... First, the arrangement of bubbles is confusing in some of your panels. A bubble on the right starting slightly higher than one on the left does not make me immediately read it first. Either make the person on the left speak first (rearrange the people) or rearrange the bubbles so that the one on the left starts below the bubble on the right (as was done in panel 3 of comic 2). In none of the strips did it seem necessary to have the person that spoke first on the right, so just put them on the left; this is comic law for a reason, and it's because it makes arranging bubbles a lot easier. Secondly, make sure that the text in the bubbles are not too close to the edge of the bubble; in other words, make sure that the bubbles have a margin to them. The bubbles and fonts have been inconsistent, although this goes back to you still trying to find your style. In round bubbles, the text should not fit in a rectangular space, but in the round space it is inserted in.

Overall the website has good design, but there are a few comments I have here as well... I think it's a little weird that the title has that bar. It separates the "comic space" from the top of the page, which is weird since the comic navigation buttons (first, previous, etc.) should be part of that comic space. A bar separating the top of the page from the comic would feel more natural above those buttons. Furthermore, the logo and the space at the top of the page could benefit from shrinkage to pull the comic up higher on the page. Note how many professional webcomics do this quite well (Girls With Slingshots, Least I Could Do, PvP, Penny Arcade). Kudos for having an actual archive page, though; many new webcomic artists don't have one for some reason. As your comic appears like it'll be story-based, eventually dividing the archive by story arcs (chapters) may be helpful.

There is a misspelling on your extras page.

DorkRawk

Postby DorkRawk » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:21 pm UTC

Thanks for the advice, Omegaton. Yes, I suppose you're right about pushing the comic before there is a substantial archive. I guess I just got over excited and I'm hoping that having the site live and looked at really pushes me to stay on schedule and keep improving my art and writing.

I just drew the next comic last night and I took your advice on the speech bubbles, so hopefully #4 flows better.

DorkRawk

Postby DorkRawk » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:21 pm UTC

So, taking the advice given previously in this thread, I've now got 30 strips of Mount Saint Awesome done. I think that readers can now get a much better feel for the story and the characters, so it would be worth checking out again. So... please head over to http://mountsaintawesome.com and check out where the strip is these days!

As always, comments/feedback are always welcome/appreciated.

Return to “Your art and links”