Folly and Innovation - a love affair with the universe

Think your art is better or your stick figures worse? Got a link to a site you want to share? Post it here!

Moderators: Jacque, Moderators General, Prelates

Switch31

Folly and Innovation - a love affair with the universe

Postby Switch31 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:59 pm UTC

Yo!

I've started a webcomic. It's a humor strip with observational humor and wordplay. You can check it out and leave your comments anywhere you please! Here's the url:

http://follyandinnovation.com/

I'm interested in hearing what everyone has to say.

weex

Re: Folly and Innovation - a love affair with the universe

Postby weex » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:18 am UTC

I read them all and here are some pros and cons:

Pros: I'm really impressed with the consistent style and clean look throughout. It's clear you've read lots more comics than I because of the variety of layouts you explore. I found a few of them to be quite funny(the windows error report and funny hat business card come to mind). I can appreciate most of the pop culture references.

Cons: I think you'll do better exploring completely original thoughts in comedy with less reliance on pop culture references. I didn't get why freckles appeared and disappeared on the one guy. I'm confused by the title-text and long titles because I can't tell if they're commentary on the comic or the title of it.

One thing that always bugs me about comicpress is that I can't tell how many comics there are total...I can see the year/month but I didn't get that it was 2x a week until the end. I guess I just like to know what I'm in for when reading them all.

That's my 2 cents. Overall nice work and I look forward to more.
Salvador Dali wrote:Those who do not want to imitate anything, produce nothing.

Simple Pen Art, now with an Archive page.

Omegaton

Postby Omegaton » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:44 pm UTC

I haven't read it all yet, but before I do my main issue is with the web design. The comic does not stand out enough from the background and it kind of melds together. In other words, the background is distracting, and makes it harder to read the comic because the eyes do not know where to start to read the comic. I'd remove the drawings on either side entirely, or perhaps change the background color of the area on either side of the comic so that they are not white (ie. so they are not the same as the background color of your comics).

Switch31

Postby Switch31 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:26 pm UTC

weex, I' glad you appreciated the humor and the references. I'm really happy that you spotted the differences in layout because most people hardly even look at the art, let alone the the page layouts. The page layouts are definitely something I'm trying to experiment with so it doesn't feel like reading the same kind of strip over and over again. I really think that the varied comic length/infinite canvas style of xkcd is one of its strongest attributes as a comic. As far as non-pop culture writing goes, I definitely don't intentionally inject more of it into the comic than I would into anything else. All the stuff I write just has to pass the "is that really funny?" test. Maybe I have a skewed sense of humor. Either way something for me think about and be aware of.

Those darned freckles...I always forget to draw them. And then I forget to check for them.

Omegaton, I hadn't really thought about the background much since I started the site (I'm pretty used to seeing it now as you can imagine). Although since I made it I've gotten much better at scripting in html/php and much much better at generating graphics. I think you might be right. It might be time to rethink the background image or add some background color.

Thanks for the feedback!

Return to “Your art and links”