ITT: comment drawings

Think your art is better or your stick figures worse? Got a link to a site you want to share? Post it here!

Moderators: Jacque, Moderators General, Prelates

tastelikecoke

ITT: comment drawings

Postby tastelikecoke » Thu May 27, 2010 8:17 am UTC

I am an aspiring artist. However, I am an anxious one too. So I have been into drawing just recently and I want to improve in it. But according to people around here, A great way to improve them is by showing people your art and let them criticize it.

Me wants you guys to comment on my drawings. That's what I am blabbering out here.
You can be harsh too, But I don't want very harsh and boastful comments either.
----
Spoiler:

so here's my spoileriffic line art. Please tell me what I need to improve. Go go go.

Omegaton

Re: ITT: comment drawings

Postby Omegaton » Thu May 27, 2010 4:57 pm UTC

Hopefully this doesn't come off as too harsh...

Was that the first pass, or did you do sketches first and then draw over it? I'll admit I'm fairly dependent on sketches (my sister draws pretty good art without doing any sketches and I just don't understand how she does it), however, IMO sketches help a ton to get an idea of the drawing before doing the lineart.

You've got some proportions starting to come together, but I think you need to keep practicing your proportions and anatomy. I can see you're hiding one of the hands since, I assume, you're uncomfortable drawing them (this is a fairly common cheat and I've done it too). Anatomy and proportions are covered in tons of how-to-draw books because of just how important it is.

Also, I can't actually tell what she's holding on her head.

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Fri May 28, 2010 1:07 am UTC

Omegaton wrote:Hopefully this doesn't come off as too harsh...

Was that the first pass, or did you do sketches first and then draw over it? I'll admit I'm fairly dependent on sketches (my sister draws pretty good art without doing any sketches and I just don't understand how she does it), however, IMO sketches help a ton to get an idea of the drawing before doing the lineart.

You've got some proportions starting to come together, but I think you need to keep practicing your proportions and anatomy. I can see you're hiding one of the hands since, I assume, you're uncomfortable drawing them (this is a fairly common cheat and I've done it too). Anatomy and proportions are covered in tons of how-to-draw books because of just how important it is.

Also, I can't actually tell what she's holding on her head.

Oh, it was complex, I drawn a sketch, put the sketched drawing on the tablet and traced it. Then used magic on the software.
Thank you, this idea feels awesome now.
Imma go start anatomy now :D

Omegaton

Postby Omegaton » Fri May 28, 2010 2:39 am UTC

I think a problem comes from the fact you traced the paper into the tablet. My recommendation would be to use a program that has layers, such as GIMP or Photoshop. Scan your sketch in (or sketch straight into the computer). Then do the lines on a layer over the sketch. There are a bunch of lineart-preparing tutorials on the internet that'll give you a more complete run down of their process. If you're not familiar with layers, it's basically like if you had your sketch underneath a piece of tracing paper.

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Fri May 28, 2010 3:10 am UTC

The problem is I dont have scanner, but an intelligent camera picture might work :? Anyway, I'm using SAI, so it might work that way. I am reading lineart tutorials as well.

Ralph Slatton

Postby Ralph Slatton » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:57 am UTC

TasteLikeCoke-
If I understand you correctly, you are using your computer sketch pad and inputing this into software. Is there a reason you don't just draw it directly on paper. I think what some of the others are referring to is that the drawing is perhaps a bit flat and needs more form and texture to give it life. In other words, give it more of an illusion that it exists in space. Give it a context or environment. If you are just learning to draw, sometimes it's best to just make quick sketches on regular paper. Avoid erasing; begin with light lines and gradually get darker as you edit toward a more finished image. Don't be afraid of using more lines to describe your character. Drawing from life can also help to improve your imaginative characters. Even though you've gotten some candid responses here, please don't be discouraged. I will be looking for more of your drawings on this forum. Best!

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:47 am UTC

I forgot this thread :(

I should add another one, fresh from the pencils.

Spoiler:

There's no way to resize them I think.

hintss

Postby hintss » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:43 pm UTC

IIRC, sword is held in 2 hands in ready stance, but thats just kendo...

Return to “Your art and links”