Tattoo?

Think your art is better or your stick figures worse? Got a link to a site you want to share? Post it here!

Moderators: Jacque, Moderators General, Prelates

sparks

Re: Tattoo?

Postby sparks » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:41 pm UTC

(I know this is long, but it's not a rant per se and I'd advise you to read).

Usually, most people won't do tattoo designs for free, much less over the Internet. If they do, it's likely they aren't either pros (not that there aren't many tattoo artists who are younger -- a friend of mine draws excellent designs, but obviously she's not a pro yet) or that they don't know the exact specifications of your friend's body, etc. If someone were to design this over the Internet, they could be unaware of your friend's skin, body shape, etc. It depends on the location, too. In person it's also heaps easier to design, because the person is there. So where would you get this design done? I'll tell you.

A tattoo artist.

Even if someone designs something over the Internet for you, you still have to bring it to the tattooer who should, hopefully, also be a tattoo artist. This is because, like I said, there are also lots of factors coming into play, not to mention the drawing my have parts that might over time blur or bleed more easily. I designed one of my tattoos myself, and taking it to a tattoo artist who knows how skin and needles work is a lot of help and insight. Of course, if you need someone to do the design, you might as well ask your tattoo artist. I THINK you might have to pay an extra for this, of course, but in the long run you probably want a pro tattoo artist to do the job for some more money than someone over the Internet, and besides, even if you WERE getting someone to design this for you it's only polite to pay people if they do something like this for you and don't know you. A tattoo design usually takes some time getting done, getting every detail correct, not to mention the "pressure" that someone will have this tattooed on their skin. So whether you're choosing a tattoo artist or anyone else, you'll still have to pay. There's a whole world of tattoo "ettiquette" people often aren't aware of (such as, people seeing a tattoo online or on a magazine and copying it off the bat when most tattoo artists refuse straight up to do more unique designs other people already have, the tipping, the do's and dont's). I'd suggest a whirl around bmezine.com and the bodymods community on LiveJournal for a broader in sight on this. It may seem like you/your friend don't need to but trust me, in the end knowledge is important in one way or the other.

EDIT: Also, finding designs online a tatooing them right off the bat is usually considered to not be very nice, unless you contact the artist and they say it's okay. Nothing stops you from doing that, it's just a matter of courtesy.

EDIT2: Your friend wants to get a tattoo and needs "cool designs"? Does your friend want a tattoo with any particular meaning? I have nothing against people getting tattoos simply for the aesthetic aspect, but that also increases their chances of, in the long-run, regretting.
(icon by clockwork-harlequin.net)
"An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all." ~ Oscar Wilde

gistick

Postby gistick » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:09 pm UTC

Speaking of tattoos made me remember one a guy in my lab has - the Heisenberg uncertainty principle on his calf. (deltax deltap >= hbar/2) About the one you showed, a little too edgy for my tastes.
-tim Szczykutowicz
maker of "Electron Man" webcomic
www.quarkquark.com/electronman/

jadenn

Postby jadenn » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:25 pm UTC

sparks wrote:(I know this is long, but it's not a rant per se and I'd advise you to read).

Usually, most people won't do tattoo designs for free, much less over the Internet. If they do, it's likely they aren't either pros (not that there aren't many tattoo artists who are younger -- a friend of mine draws excellent designs, but obviously she's not a pro yet) or that they don't know the exact specifications of your friend's body, etc. If someone were to design this over the Internet, they could be unaware of your friend's skin, body shape, etc. It depends on the location, too. In person it's also heaps easier to design, because the person is there. So where would you get this design done? I'll tell you.

A tattoo artist.

Even if someone designs something over the Internet for you, you still have to bring it to the tattooer who should, hopefully, also be a tattoo artist. This is because, like I said, there are also lots of factors coming into play, not to mention the drawing my have parts that might over time blur or bleed more easily. I designed one of my tattoos myself, and taking it to a tattoo artist who knows how skin and needles work is a lot of help and insight. Of course, if you need someone to do the design, you might as well ask your tattoo artist. I THINK you might have to pay an extra for this, of course, but in the long run you probably want a pro tattoo artist to do the job for some more money than someone over the Internet, and besides, even if you WERE getting someone to design this for you it's only polite to pay people if they do something like this for you and don't know you. A tattoo design usually takes some time getting done, getting every detail correct, not to mention the "pressure" that someone will have this tattooed on their skin. So whether you're choosing a tattoo artist or anyone else, you'll still have to pay. There's a whole world of tattoo "ettiquette" people often aren't aware of (such as, people seeing a tattoo online or on a magazine and copying it off the bat when most tattoo artists refuse straight up to do more unique designs other people already have, the tipping, the do's and dont's). I'd suggest a whirl around bmezine.com and the bodymods community on LiveJournal for a broader in sight on this. It may seem like you/your friend don't need to but trust me, in the end knowledge is important in one way or the other.

EDIT: Also, finding designs online a tatooing them right off the bat is usually considered to not be very nice, unless you contact the artist and they say it's okay. Nothing stops you from doing that, it's just a matter of courtesy.

EDIT2: Your friend wants to get a tattoo and needs "cool designs"? Does your friend want a tattoo with any particular meaning? I have nothing against people getting tattoos simply for the aesthetic aspect, but that also increases their chances of, in the long-run, regretting.

Great advice! Really helpful. I agree with what you said that it's really important that the design should be brought to a tattooer. It's not that getting help from the internet is unreliable, we can also get great help and great designs online, but it's safe when you really seek for personal advice especially when it's your first time to get a tat. Thanks for the post. It's really helpful.

Return to “Your art and links”