Tell me what you think of my webcomic...

Think your art is better or your stick figures worse? Got a link to a site you want to share? Post it here!

Moderators: Jacque, Moderators General, Prelates

Polkster

Tell me what you think of my webcomic...

Postby Polkster » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:08 pm UTC

[link removed until post count > 5]

I've been working on it for about two years now, updating pretty regularly. Be sure to read the commentary underneath the comics, I think of it as half the experience in a way.

How can I make my website better? And what's the best way to reach more people?

I've tried GoogleAds but the users it brings to my site don't tend to stick around, StumbleUpon has been a lot more effective. Other than that I've pretty much been relying on Facebook and word of mouth.

Aleril
Le Rail

Re: Tell me what you think of my webcomic...

Postby Aleril » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:09 pm UTC

Now I am curious to what this comic is.

GET THOSE 5 POSTS! QUICKLY!

Aluminus

Postby Aluminus » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:49 am UTC

I clicked the link before it was removed. In short: Awesome (Second comic is my favourite)
Here is a taste of what you will see:
Polk wrote:OH MAN! What a fantastic ending! That was awesome, wasn't it? I bet you didn't see that coming. Yeah, I'm tricky like that.

Polk wrote:Who needs a large personified dime with a unibrow?
fyrenwater wrote:Oh dear God, I just imagined this horrible scenario of a psychotic non-people-person running around, trying to steal the people-person section of people-peoples' brains to implant into their own brain.

Govalant

Postby Govalant » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:05 am UTC

Damn it. I want to see it too. :(
Now these points of data make a beautiful line.

How's things?
-Entropy is winning.

Aluminus

Postby Aluminus » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:15 am UTC

I especially liked the "shame-rays" emanating from the student teacher :D
fyrenwater wrote:Oh dear God, I just imagined this horrible scenario of a psychotic non-people-person running around, trying to steal the people-person section of people-peoples' brains to implant into their own brain.

Polkster

Postby Polkster » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:52 am UTC

I'm glad you guys liked it!

Ended

Postby Ended » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:46 am UTC

Hurry! Post! My curiosity is piqued.
Generally I try to make myself do things I instinctively avoid, in case they are awesome.
-dubsola

bridge

Postby bridge » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:30 pm UTC

5 already but i'm curious too..

edit: reached throgh the profile, i like it, especially the christmas special! :D
Last edited by bridge on Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:00 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Excuse my Super Mario accent

Memo

Postby Memo » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:15 pm UTC

If you're really curious google his nick.

Polkster

Postby Polkster » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:01 pm UTC

Oh! I thought it was the post count of this thread = 5, not my own! Sorry! I'm dumb. :(

Polkster

Postby Polkster » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:07 pm UTC

Alright this is BS, my post count is definitely > 5 right now.

Here's the url:
http://www.PolkOut.com

Memo

Postby Memo » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:12 am UTC

Page 61 has the wrong link for 'Next'.
Same for 73 and 74.

Polkster

Postby Polkster » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:25 am UTC

Thanks for pointing that out! I'll be sure to fix that ASAP!

Aluminus

Postby Aluminus » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:12 am UTC

Polkster wrote:There are certain important qualities that define a man. And when I say man I mean man and not 'man' or 'the Man'. The Man keeps us down, man struggles, but a man achieves. A man has values, has pride, has honor, and among the many things he'd never do is sit idly by as another individual makes lewd insinuations about his woman. Even if that woman doesn't know she's his woman--maybe she doesn't know her man's name, maybe all they've exchanged is but a brief glance in some subway car, or maybe she hasn't even noticed how passionately he clutches the stray strands of hair that have so aloofly fallen from her immaculate scalp onto the floor of the lecture hall, or maybe, even more tragically, she has absolutely no concept of his existence because they live on different coasts and his only contact with her has been limited to gazing across a television screen into her soul--a man must defend her.
If I still lived in Long Island I'd buy you a beer.

Polkster

Postby Polkster » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:26 am UTC

That means more to me than you know. What part of Long Island are you from?

Aluminus

Postby Aluminus » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:54 am UTC

Suffolk, specifically East Northport (those Levithouses creep me out)
My Dad was born in the Bronx, so I guess that gives him extra badass points. And me too, by association.
Now I live in Canada, because healthcare is free, and university education is dirt-cheap. Like rubber chicken cheap.

There are no less than 4 menorahs on my bookshelf.
People point them out and they say:
"What are those Jew things?"
And I say:
"That's our freakin' miracle. That shit is gold-plated."

Polkster

Postby Polkster » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:48 am UTC

Gotchya. I myself am from Nassau. Can't complain; it's boring...yet quiet.

Polkster

Postby Polkster » Mon May 05, 2008 5:14 am UTC

This thread sunk real quick...

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Mon May 05, 2008 6:01 am UTC

They tend to. That says nothing about the quality of your comic.
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

Polkster

Postby Polkster » Mon May 05, 2008 12:27 pm UTC

Hey, thanks!

GodShapedBullet

Postby GodShapedBullet » Wed May 07, 2008 3:40 am UTC

I really liked the dialog "Is there a point to this story or do you just want attention? "Just attention" from comic 32. It was a funny exchange.

Also, it's been a while since I ran into anyone that knew about Swat Kats, so that was pretty cool even though you are just from the internet.

I read through the archives and generally, I like the site. I thought the first video dragged a little bit but I think it's really cool that you are trying multiple mediums. I think you not having an RSS feed is kind of a downer. It's usually something I look for in a webcomic.

I don't really like StumbleUpon as a way to promote a webcomic. It gets you a lot of hits, but in my experience, they aren't good hits. The people that get to my website via StumpleUpon then stumble away again. I want readers to get hooked and pour through my whole archive. And you can't get that kind of dedication from people with their trigger on the Stumble! button.

Maybe your experience is different, though. Maybe my webcomic isn't engrossing enough or something.

Word of mouth and Facebook are pretty good. Forums are good, but I wouldn't just join a forum to promote a comic. It's a little cheap and people are generally less receptive. Though I haven't tried joining a forum just to promote a comic, so maybe it would work?

Good luck with promoting your comic.

Polkster

Postby Polkster » Wed May 07, 2008 7:02 pm UTC

How do I create an RSS feed?

GodShapedBullet

Postby GodShapedBullet » Wed May 07, 2008 9:24 pm UTC

I don't know how to actually make one so maybe I'm not the best to answer that question.

I use RSSPECT, which is run by the same person that does Dinosaur Comics. It makes feeds for you.

If anyone knows how to actually make RSS feeds, I'd be interested to hear that myself.

Polkster

Postby Polkster » Wed May 07, 2008 10:39 pm UTC

Thanks, I'll check it out.

GodShapedBullet

Postby GodShapedBullet » Fri May 09, 2008 11:47 pm UTC

Hey, Polkster, could you say a bit about your experience with promoting your website? What's gotten you hits? What's been a waste? How do you measure what is working?

Polkster

Postby Polkster » Sat May 10, 2008 5:39 pm UTC

Yeah, sure.

I measure my total hits with a free service called statcounter (http://www.statcounter.com), which tells me where my last 100 visitors came from, as in what links brought them to my site as well as where they are from, physically. If you pay for the premium version you can get a larger log size but I don't really feel like I need it.

The most effective thingx that I've done--and mind you, practically nobody out there has heard of my site--have been making Facebook or MySpace groups, inviting all my friends to them (an easy way to tell everyone I know), and posting on forums. Posting on Fark.com, for instance, in discussion about webcomics landed me a tremendous number of hits.

Mmmm, Pi

Postby Mmmm, Pi » Sat May 10, 2008 7:27 pm UTC

I thought it was really good as well. Will defo be heading though the back catalogue when this stupid exam is out of the way.
Mercy wrote:Since this is for everything fora, I'd just like to express my fondness of @trophy's and Mmmm, Pi's avatars. You adorable demons. <3

Pi is still tasty.

ageekstory

Postby ageekstory » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:13 pm UTC

I'm wondering why the link isn't still showing up though.

Some really funny comics on polkout :) But Polkster, unless you add some RSS feeds, no one is going to come back.
A Geek Story - Daily Sketches < My daily geeky sketches

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:32 pm UTC

ageekstory wrote:I'm wondering why the link isn't still showing up though.
It's not an automated process, where links get removed and a script keeps checking how many posts you have so it can now get readded. The mods remove links if the postcount is too low. If your post count gets such that it appears you're a participating member of the community and not just a publicity seeker, then you are more than welcome to edit your post and put them back in. However I'm sure all of us would agree we can't expect the mods to keep personally revisiting every link they ever removed and put it back (after saving it somewhere?) when the post count gets high enough.

After all the good reviews, I'll go check out the comic too mefinks...
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

dallawalla

Postby dallawalla » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:26 pm UTC

Hurry and put the link back in!

Aluminus

Postby Aluminus » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:32 pm UTC

just go to polkout.com
Some of the comics will be offensive to some readers, but they aree funny as hell.

vanRillandBath

Postby vanRillandBath » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:54 pm UTC

Pretty nice!

Moo

Postby Moo » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:56 pm UTC

Aluminus wrote:Some of the comics will be offensive to some readers, but they aree funny as hell.
Yeah, so the first one I read was like "... uh, not my brand of humour". But hey ho, if we all pulled in the same direction the world would fall over, right?

I hope the OP sees this as feedback and appreciates a view from all sorts of people, cause that what it is, it's not meant to be an insult.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Polkster

Postby Polkster » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:08 pm UTC

Telling me my humor isn't your thing isn't necessarily constructive. What do you want me to do? Tone it down? I think, and this make me sound like a douchebag, but why would I want to undermine my integrity as a writer and produce a product I don't enjoy?

Moo

Postby Moo » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:30 pm UTC

Polkster wrote:why would I want to undermine my integrity as a writer and produce a product I don't enjoy?
Did I ask you to do a damn thing?

Fine, have an unbalanced view, think that everyone loves your stuff. That's really constructive too. Not unrealistic at all.

And everyone who reads this thread should get the impression that it's the best thing ever. Cause occassionally having different viewpoints and expressing them is not allowed on the fora. That is the main reason I posted, btw, to give a more balanced overview to the next guy who reads the thread. It's kinda not all about you, you know, the thread is there for the community at large to see.

For the record, it wasn't supposed to be constructive critisism; for what it is, it's very good. I didn't try to offer advice on how to make it better, because I don't have any. Because I know that my taste != right. I tried to make that clear, I apologise if I didn't. But I said I'd take a look at it, so I went to the effort of giving feedback. And hey guess what not everyone has the same sense of humour. You may have noticed the bit where I said that's ok, that's how the world works.

:roll:

Polkster

Postby Polkster » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:22 pm UTC

Moo wrote:
Polkster wrote:why would I want to undermine my integrity as a writer and produce a product I don't enjoy?
Did I ask you to do a damn thing?

Fine, have an unbalanced view, think that everyone loves your stuff. That's really constructive too. Not unrealistic at all.

And everyone who reads this thread should get the impression that it's the best thing ever. Cause occassionally having different viewpoints and expressing them is not allowed on the fora. That is the main reason I posted, btw, to give a more balanced overview to the next guy who reads the thread. It's kinda not all about you, you know, the thread is there for the community at large to see.

For the record, it wasn't supposed to be constructive critisism; for what it is, it's very good. I didn't try to offer advice on how to make it better, because I don't have any. Because I know that my taste != right. I tried to make that clear, I apologise if I didn't. But I said I'd take a look at it, so I went to the effort of giving feedback. And hey guess what not everyone has the same sense of humour. You may have noticed the bit where I said that's ok, that's how the world works.

:roll:

Hey, relax, I wasn't attacking you, nor was I offended, I was just saying if it's not your thing it's not your thing. If you don't' like, all the more power to you, that's your right, but I don't intend to change the content to appeal to people who clearly don't have a similar sense of humor. I respect the fact that your tastes are different, no worries.

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:45 pm UTC

ageekstory wrote:But Polkster, unless you add some RSS feeds, no one is going to come back.
I have to disagree. I have been following webcomics for years; I have never used RSS.
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

Polkster

Postby Polkster » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:09 pm UTC

Is there a decent, free, way to make an RSS?

Moo

Postby Moo » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:02 pm UTC

Polkster wrote:Hey, relax, I wasn't attacking you, nor was I offended, I was just saying if it's not your thing it's not your thing. If you don't' like, all the more power to you, that's your right, but I don't intend to change the content to appeal to people who clearly don't have a similar sense of humor. I respect the fact that your tastes are different, no worries.
Ok... so... we're cool? I'm sorry, your reply surprised me, and I thought you were more offended than you appear to be. Because I never intended for you to change anything and I had hoped I phrased it like that, but it didn't seem that came accross. Sorry.

Polkster

Postby Polkster » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:32 pm UTC

Moo wrote:
Polkster wrote:Hey, relax, I wasn't attacking you, nor was I offended, I was just saying if it's not your thing it's not your thing. If you don't' like, all the more power to you, that's your right, but I don't intend to change the content to appeal to people who clearly don't have a similar sense of humor. I respect the fact that your tastes are different, no worries.
Ok... so... we're cool? I'm sorry, your reply surprised me, and I thought you were more offended than you appear to be. Because I never intended for you to change anything and I had hoped I phrased it like that, but it didn't seem that came accross. Sorry.

*hug*<3

Return to “Your art and links”