Trying a healthy substitution

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

TheNorm05

Trying a healthy substitution

Postby TheNorm05 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:37 am UTC

I'd pretty much figured that mayonnaise was bad for me when I was 8 and asked my parents how to make it and they couldn't really give me a strait answer. I've since learned that it's generally just terrible for you, so I switched to mayonnaise made from olive oil. It wasn't a big shock for taste difference, and I'm starting to think it didn't make much difference. For reference I am doing strength training, so the calories are needed, but I'm trying to switch over to better calories all around and I'm thinking plain yogurt will work better to achieve my goals(protein yay!).

So I got myself a nice jar of unsweetened, plain yogurt. I had myself a cup of it and it really wasn't what I expected it to be! It wasn't bad, but it had the taste of sour creme(which I plan to replace completely with plain yogurt, though I rarely ever use sour creme to begin with). I've been reading that people find plain yogurt to be easily replaced for mayo in every way, and I was wondering if anyone has tried yogurt in a tuna sandwich(which sounds weird as hell to me... milk product and tuna!!!). I was also wondering if plain yogurt is supposed to taste sour, or if I just got a hold of the wrong stuff. Maybe I'll just nut-up and try it before I get a reply, but any yogurt advice is welcome.

Nath

Re: Trying a healthy substitution

Postby Nath » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:50 am UTC

Yep, yogurt is sour, and makes a good sour cream substitute. A lot of the yogurt available in the US is weird gelatinous stuff. Greek yogurt tends to be better, and it's packed with protein. Of course, it typically costs quite a bit more.

I make tuna sandwiches with EV olive oil and lemon juice (and salt and spices). Not as creamy as the mayo-based version, but a bit more flavorful. I have some of that olive oil mayo around too, so I use it sometimes. On the rare occasions I use mayo (e.g. on a cold meat sandwich), I don't think yogurt would make a good substitute. Just about the only things they have in common are color and approximate texture.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:00 pm UTC

Yep, natural yoghurt has a distinctive sour taste. If you get the stuff labelled "Greek-style", it should be a bit more subtle and creamy. (Edit, Nathja'd again).

But you can totally make your own mayonnaise with natural ingredients. Oil of your choice, egg yolks and lemon juice or vinegar, plus any flavourings you prefer (I like mustard). Methods vary; I recommend googling and pick whichever floats yer boat.

TheNorm05

Postby TheNorm05 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:33 pm UTC

Nath wrote:Yep, yogurt is sour, and makes a good sour cream substitute. A lot of the yogurt available in the US is weird gelatinous stuff. Greek yogurt tends to be better, and it's packed with protein. Of course, it typically costs quite a bit more.

I make tuna sandwiches with EV olive oil and lemon juice (and salt and spices). Not as creamy as the mayo-based version, but a bit more flavorful. I have some of that olive oil mayo around too, so I use it sometimes. On the rare occasions I use mayo (e.g. on a cold meat sandwich), I don't think yogurt would make a good substitute. Just about the only things they have in common are color and approximate texture.

I'll most definitely try that seeing as my roommate just bought like a gallon of Olive Oil for us all to use, and I already have the taste for it(as I don't use other kinds of oil/fat(other than mayo) for any reason ever). I ate some more of the plain yogurt(day 2), and it went down a bit easier and I'm figuring it's an acquired taste that I'm starting to kinda like because I enjoy tartness. It was only weird at first because it kinda reminded me of spoiled milk... I'll be sure to check the nutrition label later to see what exactly is in it, but it seems pretty devoid of filler.

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:14 pm UTC

Yes, mayonnaise is fat and cholesterol, but dietary cholesterol is really not a serious problem, depending on which dietary expert you listen to. The biggest health issue with fresh, homemade mayonnaise is the raw egg yolk. Almost all store-bought mayonnaise is a concoction that includes nasty ingredients and no-one would ever be able to make at home. But real, homemade mayonnaise is very easy to make at home, and has simple ingredients, just as Amarantha says.

Because of the raw egg issue, I started making the "Vegannaise" that is in Mark Bittman's vegetarian cookbook. And I really like it. If you've never made mayonnaise, you do need a blender, and for real mayonnaise you've got to add the oil slowly, but it is quick and easy to make, once you get the hang of it.

The vegannaise recipe is:
6 ounces (3/4 C) extra-firm silken tofu*
1/4 C extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons cider vinegar or freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
pinch of tumeric (optional)

Pull all the ingredients in a blender. Turn the machine to medium speeds and let it run for a minute or two, then turn it off. Scrap the sides of the container with a rubber spatula, turn the blender back on, and let it run for 3 minutes. Stop and scrap again, then run the blender for a minute or so more. Taste and add more salt if necessary. Serve immediately or store in a jar in the refrigerator for up to several days.

*This is what the recipe says. This is nuts. Tofu is either silken or extra-firm, not both!

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:14 pm UTC

I quite like the tang of natural, Greek and Bulgarian yoghurt as a snack on its own but for variation I sometimes add some sucralose (Splenda), some vanilla extract, some nuts, some raisins, some cut up strawberries, or combinations of these (raisins and cashews are my fav!).

For things that usually need mayo, I tend to use 1/2 mayo and 1/2 yoghurt, like you say a yoghurt and tuna sandwich is a little weird but the half/half mix is healthier AND creamier than just mayo but has the required binding property, and I'm very fond if it. I can't think of anything I'd use mayo on that I wouldn't use this mix on. Potato salad with half/half is sooooooo much better than just mayo.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Return to “Food”