What to do with a bag of unsweetened chocolate

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Rippy

What to do with a bag of unsweetened chocolate

Postby Rippy » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:53 am UTC

I mistakenly bought a sizeable bag of unsweetened baking chocolate, thinking it was dark chocolate.

What should I do with it?

I have no baking experience, but I don't want to let delicious, delicious chocolate to go to waste. (Currently, I'm munching on pieces of it anyway. You actually sort of get over the bitterness after a while, but it's still not that great :P)

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Re: What to do with a bag of unsweetened chocolate

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:35 am UTC

Well... you should bake with it.

Unsweetened baking chocolate is meant to be used in recipes where the chocolate is incorporated in some homogeneous form; melted and stirred into a batter, for example. Recipes which contain pieces of chocolate, like chocolate chip/chunk cookies, wouldn't call for unsweetened chocolate. But if you're making a chocolate cake batter, chocolate crinkle cookies, fudge brownies, etc., unsweetened chocolate lets you carefully manage how sweet your recipe is because you can control exactly how much sugar is added. There isn't one standard for how much sugar is in semi-sweet, bittersweet or sweetened chocolate, so if you're using them as ingredients it might be harder to know how much sugar is right to add.

In my experience it's most common for unsweetened baking chocolate to be melted in a double boiler before adding it to your batter, but sometimes the recipe may ask you to chop it finely. It can also be grated or shaved for an attractive garnish. Most of the very best chocolate cake or brownie recipes call for unsweetened baking chocolate.

Another benefit of having unsweetened baking chocolate around is that it doesn't disappear like a half-used bag of semisweet morsels is apt to...
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:40 am UTC

Brownies. You can also make profiteroles filled with chocolate whipped cream, and then melt the chocolate and sweeten to taste in a double boiler by adding sugar to top them with.

I don't remember the recipes that I used for these, but I have done them before and they turned out good. I'm sure there are plenty of recipes on the web.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:43 am UTC

You can make just about anything that you'd make with chocolate that's going to be incorporated into the rest of the recipe (no chunks). Lots of fudge recipes use unsweetened chocolate. Ganache would probably be fine with unsweetened chocolate, if you just added some sugar (probably confectioner's sugar, to keep it smooth).
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Nath

Postby Nath » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:09 am UTC

Well, what PictureSarah said. But this is also a good chance to experiment with savory uses of chocolate. I keep some unsweetened cocoa powder around for this exact purpose; I'm sure unsweetened chocolate can be used in many of the same ways.

Try it finely chopped in oatmeal, perhaps with milk and bananas. Or add some to your next batch of chili. Or make some hot chocolate. You can make it sweet by stirring in sugar (shockingly), or try a savory version with small dashes of salt and powdered red chili.

AntonGarou

Postby AntonGarou » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:17 am UTC

hot chocolate.But remember to add a bit of powedered cocoa into the mix to make it even more easily.
I'm not nitpicking, I'm quarkpicking!

TheNorm05

Postby TheNorm05 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:26 am UTC

Keep just munching on it says I. The more bitter the chocolate is(Since it wasn't "washed" with alkali) the better it is for you.

Return to “Food”